A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S04E05: "Internment"

For your listening pleasure, might I suggest Ben Howard's "Oats in the Water"? Click the link to open it in a new tab and let the song play while you read. 

You know, for what could be labeled a filler episode, "Internment" was pretty amazing. Whoa, easy with the pitchforks and fiery sticks, mob! "Filler" might seem like a bad word when talking about television, but allow me to school you into thinking it is not. To ME, a filler episode is simply a chunk of a show where no major developments happen because the writers, producers, gaffers, and caterers need to streeeeeetch the story out a bit, typically to fulfill the episode count agreed upon by the people who make the show (the dorks behind the camera) and the people who pay for the show (the dorks at the studio). "Filler episode" doesn't have to be synonymous with "uneventful bore," even though that's the usual connotation.

Looking at the series from a distance, "Internment" won't be remembered as an hour with any significant developments (unless you consider it significant that Lizzie finally did something that didn't make me want to punch her)—at least not until the closing minutes, when Daryl, Bob, Tyreese, and Michonne returned with medicine. Wait, wait, don't get mad yet—awesome stuff happened, definitely, but I'm talking about the lack of major events here, like Carol getting kicked out of the group or Karen and David getting murdered or the group realizing they're fighting a new a virus. Yes, a lot of people (and zombies) died, but did we even know anyone's names, other than Caleb/Dr. S? This week's victims were mostly Woodbury 'fugees who were only on the show to be eaten anyway, so c'est la vie for those zombie snacks, they did their job. The outer perimeter fence was breached, but the invasion was quelled and the threat was squashed thanks to huge guns, and a little scotch tape should get that barrier back to being zombie-proof in no time. "Internment" played by sitcom rules, where by the end of the episode things were mostly the same as they were in the beginning.

Episodes like these do a great job of taking the temperature of a TV series, and even though "Internment" could be skipped during a re-watch of The Walking Dead and your brain's story intake wouldn't suffer that much, the episode—which oozed death, illness, and viscous lung goo—ironically showed us just how healthy The Walking Dead is right now. I ain't being sarcastic when I say that the show is better than it's ever been, and that has everything to do with it knowing what works and what fans want. And guess what satisfies both of those criteria? LOTS OF ZOMBIES and SCARY STUFF. "Internment" was the TV equivalent of your best friend coming over and even though you didn't do anything, you still had the best time because you just had fun hanging out. 

If "Internment" did focus on one character, it was the old man of the hour, Hershel Greene. Selfless and determined, Hershel and his kickass immune system dominated the episode, resulting in his finest moments of the series. I wanted to kiss this man on the mouth (provided he'd wiped Dr. S's lung phlegm off his face) after just about everything he did. He was a total rockstar, and cooler than Miles Davis in the face of total f*cking insanity. It's almost as if new Walking Dead showrunner Scott Gimple has made it his mission to highlight characters who've been ignored in previous seasons, and used the idea of character change after so many uneventful weeks at the prison (the time between seasons) to set them on a new path. First it was Carol, then Beth, and this week it was Hershel. No longer the helpless old wise man in the corner, Hershel decided to make a difference and threw himself into the fire to become a man of action. May I remind you that Hershel did all this only on one flesh-and-bone leg? 

There were moments during "Internment" where the episode drew precariously close to being an installment where the sick got sicker and everybody just kept talking about who should do what, which would have killed the pacing Season 4 has built up so far. But about a third of the way through, the sick started falling (conveniently, this happened to everyone who was ill at pretty much the same time) and the rumbling notes of Ben Howard's "Oats in the Water" (the song I linked to up above) bubbled up as Hershel wheeled a dead man out of the way and stabbed him in the forehead—a first for Hershel. That's when the tone of the episode really changed. Hershel was no longer the good doctor putting bandages on booboos; he was that Dutch kid who was sticking his fingers in the cracks of a dam that we all knew would burst. 

And burst it did, and it was awesome.

There's a certain sense of efficiency to Season 4's zombie attacks that was missing in Season 3, and the shitstorm in "Internment" was a spectacle of action-horror. People started dying in A-Block, and the prison's only lines of defense were an old man and a little girl. The perimeter fence was breached, and a horde began pouring into the prison yard. Glenn was coughing up his pancreas and a gallon of blood. All of this happened simultaneously, and yet the chaos felt orchestrated in such a way that the danger was palpable and it was still easy to follow what was going on. Having everything be so clear made the scenes even more nerve-racking, and no one did anything dumb! Well, Lizzie fell down, but that's the bare minimum of lameness that we could expect from her. 

And amidst all the madness, individual characters were making choices on the fly. Maggie had to decide whether or not to enter the infected zone, Rick had no other option but to give Carl a HUGE gun, Hershel had to address the most immediate threats (he even found the time to keep shotgun blasts to zombies out of Lizzie's view, but unfortunately, also out of our view), Maggie had to decide whether or not it was worth the risk to shoot at a zombie when the shot could pop the pump that could save Glenn's life. I mean, WOW. What a sequence. This was white-knuckled, grab-the-sofa-armrest, squeeze-the-life-out-of-your-significant-other tension. This was survival at its most primal. And it was magnificently terrifying. I may have called out for my mom a few times.

Then those slackers Michonne, Daryl, Tyreese, and Bob came back and saved the day. Yay! 

But the whole time, I couldn't help but be smug and think, "Gee Rick, I bet you wish you had an extra set of healthy hands to help out, hmmmmmmmm?" Maybe some hands that were wrapped in some awesome brass knuckles? I'm not saying Carol's absence was the reason the prison ended up in this mess, but her presence would have made cleaning it up a lot easier. With everyone so sick and a weakened fence being pushed to its limits by a replenishing swarm of walkers, the prison needed all the help it could get—and Carol had become a jack-of-all-trades who would've been up to any task. And speaking of Carol, she's more evidence of "Internment" being a filler episode in the best way possible: Her ousting situation was only grazed, with the real fallout likely coming next week. 

As a major contrast to last week's questions of procedure and what the future holds, "Internment" was about surviving another minute. And the fact that The Walking Dead could put two such dramatically different episodes back-to-back and still maintain a high level quality suggests that the series is finally making the leap to being the drama we always hoped it would be. I don't think this show has ever put together five good episodes in a row, and this is a streak that I think could keep going.

NOTES

– If there's one thing that could end The Walking Dead's recent run of great episodes, it's the last-minute return of the Governor we saw at the very end of "Internment." There he was, just single-eyeballing the prison from the edge of the woods. I am in no way excited for his return. As much as I enjoy David Morrissey, I've been enjoying the series just fine without his character.

– Maggie agreeing with Rick that he was right to send Carol away seems more like a writer's trick to validate Rick's decision than a natural reaction. Maggie didn't protest at all or ask any further questions. 

– I definitely screamed, "YEAH, CARL" when he took to that gun like a vet. And that slight hint of recognition from Rick screamed, "Okay, I guess he was meant to do this," after Carl tossed his pop a magazine and kept mowing down zombies. Let him be who he's supposed to be, Rick. And Carl is wearing the hat again!

– I liked the imagery and symbolism of Rick bleeding through his bandages. He lives in a world where wounds don't heal, where decisions are never black and white, where the bleeding never stops. The Walking Dead has shown us that it's capable of artistic moments, and there's plenty of room for it to continue with them. 

– Would someone please clean up that hallway where Carl and the young kids were? That place is a mess. 

– Lizzie, why on Earth are you shlopping around Glenn's lung blood with your shoe? What is WRONG with this girl?

– Hershel is quickly rising to the top of my favorite characters list. His joke about Spaghetti Tuesdays moving to Wednesdays was great. "A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ," he said. So he does his best Patch Adams routine to lighten everyone up. Love it. Yet when he retreated to a cell by himself, he broke down and wept. Hershel's desire to show strength and inspire others is exactily the kind of leadership the group needs.

– Where was Beth this whole time? Just hanging onto Judith?

– WHERE'S CAROL!!!???!!!???!!!???

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

368 Comments
Comments (368)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Good episode, though I hope it deals with the consequences soon, like Carol's banishment solely by Rick and what that spells out for her and him. Maybe a what happened to the young woman who Carol and Rick let scavenge for supplies but wound up losing her leg in what looked like a clean chop versus torn/shredded by zombies. Also, didn't care for when the 1st fence broke down, the zombies poured in and concentrated on the heavy tower door, didn't try to breach the 2nd fence until Rick and Carl loudly depart from the 2nd door ~ creating the 2nd breach in essence. But, the lack of fence and fence area modification is one of those things that erk me, put that boombox or scarecrow noise maker in the woods, draw off the zombies, even toss some animals in a pit for them, then dig a moat, or more traps like Morgan did.... Oh well.
Flag
Once again this season we see lazy writing and a thoughtlessly done episode. They just BANG us over the head with how heroic Hershel is being-complete with explainations and speeches..... it didn't feel true to the character or the general spirit of the show.

There were some well done and emotionally powerful scenes, and the acting was great as usual.

But the writing is just sloppy. He DOES not take precautions to protect himself, and does foolish things. WHY? It's set up so that there is NO one else to help out? He doesn't even TRY to stay back from those infected when possible? He doesn't TRY to fashion a mask? He sits closely to these people and has CONVERSATIONS? And he doesn't get sick?Then he risks everyone's lives by rolling the dead out on a gurney-miraculously, no one turns and attacks while he does this!

Yet, at the end, many turn and attack at once! Since no one LOCKED the doors they can all jump on Hershell etc. so that MAGGIE can save him! Ugh.......The characters were always SMART and resourceful-what happened????Meanwhile, Rick and Carl kill a multitude of walkers without attracting MORE walkers! how about that? And we see that NOT one of the major characters dies.

Don't get me wrong-I think that the acting was excellent-and there were good ideas within the plot. But these characters who are sick are not real characters-they have been dumped into the show to provide for more gore/sickness/death/emotional scenes yada yada. Their conversations don't feel real.

I hope things improve. I liked the Carol storylines and some other aspects this season. Michione is always a pleasure to watch.

But this last episode was THE worst I've seen in many regards. Maybe it will improve with the Governor returning.

More+
Flag
There's no point for a mask since Dr. S coughed blood in his face the minute Hershel stepped in to help. From his perspective, it is his job to help these people because he's the only health care provider left. Everyone has a job, that one is his.

Another thing to consider is that Hershel already outlived his wife and stepson, he should've died when Rick removed his leg and he sees his daughters as adults. Hershel doesn't take precautions because he doesn't need to, he made peace with it a long time ago. And he's just making the most of whatever time he has left in this world.
Flag
Everyone is probably going to hate me, but I am going to say something on Lizzie's behalf. Lizzie was a sheltered Woodbury-ite. She had life pretty good there, didn't have to deal with the walkers except peripherally. This is all new and strange to her. Having been a sheltered child myself (boy, when the real world hit me, it REALLY hit me), I can relate to her. She's just not handling it well. She THOUGHT she was doing the right thing by "luring" the one walker away from Glenn.
Flag
Hm, Beth. What about that: The governor takes her from the prison and makes her his second Penny?
Flag
If anything the show has made the point people are irreplaceable over and over: Tyreese can't replace Karen any more than Carol can replace Sophia or Daryl replace Merle.

This conflict is so personal because The Governor can't replace Penny any more than Michonne can replace Andrea.
Flag
Well that's interesting, I'm used to seeing an episode like this and being treated to a view filled with complaints. Now you're beginning us not to complain because you liked a good episode :P ? I say kudos for recognizing. Now re-watch Merle's last episode and do a re-write ;P .

And yeah, given how much of the episode, and this review was about how Hershel is a badass, kind of surprised you didn't add in Daryls shout out calling Hershel a bad ass in your notes :P .

But, ok, I realize you hated woodbury and parts of that arc, but really? I thought the Governor standing there at the end was chilling, and, much like the rest of the episode, incredibly palpable (palpable definitely would be a good way to describe the episode. Despite someone on my facebook wall calling it a lame filler episode indeed, I remember wondering what they hell they were smoking as my knuckles whitened thinking Hershel and/or Glen might eat it).

The one thing, ONE THING episode or governor related I have a problem with is what the hell was he doing? I mean, I kind of thought as they were zooming out that it would be him looking at Rick/Carl through a scope (again). My only guess is since the Governor is a really sick dude (especially at this point), that he probably would pass on sniping them off (or based on where this all is going to go, missing out on his chance) in favor of a far more sadistic revenge scheme, akin to what he had planned for Michone/Andrea. Still...it's like, "aw man, in this kill or be killed zombie era, ESPECIALLY if you're that at odds with someone, you probably should have just killed him while you had the chance, now you deserve to die, there is no place in this world for twirling your mustache while you tie someone to the train tracks and wait for the train....but I'll still have fun watching you do all that for it to blow up in your face."
More+
Flag
Also, my given Hebrew name is Hershel, named after MY granddad so this episode was particularly fun for me to watch, heh.
Flag
What happened to Lizzie's sister, Mica I think is her Name. Didn't see her in this Episode or the last. Did I miss something?
Flag
She must be with the healthy children Carl was taking care of, in the same block Beth held Judith.
Flag
It may sound wrong in our world, but in the world that Rick and Carol live in I don't fully understand Rick's strong reaction to Carol's actions.
It is a dangerous world and these people were suffering. It was not a hospice setting...
I know it is dangerous to cross that line of right and wrong but in this case I don't fault Carol.
Flag
The way I see it, if Caleb himself told Hershel that's what he had to do with him, then I can't picture Karen or David would rather end up like Patrick.
Flag
To put it in perspective, Carol would have killed Glenn as well.
Flag
This was extremely, greatly awesome. Have not said that for quite a long time. I think this episode stood out above all the the others from this season. Loved it.
Also agree with what you said about Hershel, he is quickly becoming my favorite character. Great.
Flag
Lol before you mentioned Lizzie's shoe in Glenn's blood I didn't even understand who you were writing about. Also, am I the only one who thinks Maggie killed those-people-I-barely-remember, and not Carol? It seems like Carol just covered for her, or maybe someone else.
Flag
So, was Carol covering for Maggie by confessing?
Flag
How are you NOT excited to see the Governor return? See him in the parting shots made my day! Anyways did u see how fresh he looked? I mean he was like as if checked out of 5-Star Hotel Prisonview for a hog-ride 2 minutes ago after a nice & cozy sleep. This keeps getting better & better..
Flag
I am actually glad to see the Governor return at this stage. Season 4 started great, but I do wish for more action and more plot, something other than just zombiekills. I hope they won't show too much of him (yet) though, but have it all build up to a finale where they finally get rid of him for good. Then maybe season 5 could get a better storyline.

Lizzie isobviously going to be the new hateable character.
Flag
Am I the only one thinking it wasn't really Carol killing those two? I have the feeling she's defending the real killer. Her whole attitude has been so... resigned, evasive even.
When Rick told Maggie, she hesitated and looked weird at him and I suddenly had the idea it was Maggie that did it. Which makes no sense, because if Carol would be willing to take the blame for someone, it wouldn't be for Maggie who can take care of herself. The only other explanation would be that Maggie knows about the real killer too. Someone those two women both want to protect.
Anyway, I'm probably too paranoid.
Flag
Maybe it was Glen? He seems increasingly capable of flying off the handle to protect people if need be. And the fact that he then got sick makes it all the more interesting, maybe that's why the ladies were covering for him. And seeing as he also almost died, coming out of it, there will be a whole lot of guilt to lay on him.
Flag
Nah not too paranoid, I thought the exact same thing!
Flag
Maggie probably has done it by now, Hershel was pretty tired and they had to keep burning the bodies, Glenn and Sasha also did it before they passed out.

At this point, anyone who isn't sick in that prison must have stabbed, burnt or shot a victim of the outbreak.
Flag
It's about time Maggie had something to do. She is badass, why has she been sidelined for so long? It was a good episode, but there were still gaping plot holes. If they had all that ammo and guns all this time, why not go out and clear the zombies BEFORE they caved in the fence. It only took one man and a kid to stop them. Anyway maybe I give the show too much credit and should just forget that stuff and enjoy the ride.
I'm looking forward to Rick telling Daryl that his bff Carol is gone. Not looking forward to the return of the Governor. Hopefully the writers just want to wrap things up and will have Michonne kill him quickly.
Flag
I thought the episode was great, except for the music. I think there was a bit too much, especially the score in the action scenes. The power of an actor's sheer interpretation is underestimated so many times! I definitely agree with Tim on the Governor's return - can't stand this character. I wish they had got rid of him in Season 3, honestly, I don't like seeing storylines drag through seasons - in any show.
Flag
Quite simply one of the finest hours Walking Dead has put together. Grade=A
Nuff said...
Flag
Carol better not be off the show. Seriously. You can't turn the most annoying character into the most kick-ass character and then banish her! It's against the rules, Walking Dead, so get your shit together and bring her back.
Flag
Its the magic of Rick's words:
  • Carol could come back if this was only Tyreese, Sasha must have told him what they have been doing with the bodies at this point,
  • Carol could've come back if it was only the Council, three of them were sick and several were victims of the dead preying on the dying a of the latest episode,
  • But Carol would never come back beause of Rick. If he doesn't want her there, she won't be there. If he doesn't want her around Carl, she won't be ther. If he doesn't want her holding Judith, she won't be there.
Rick can't undo the damage no matter how many bodies Hershel, Sasha or Glenn would dispose of.
Flag
xx
Flag
lazy freak
Flag
Re: Maggie's response to Rick's decision, I disgree. Maggie's not cold but neither is she naive. She's smart enough to suss, immediately, how fracking divisive Cariol's return would be. There's a line ... murder's on the other side of it.
Flag
Since Maggie was that fast to accept Rick's decision, I can't possibly imagine how could she even picture Carol as divisive for the group.

It didn't help much that Rick was first row to watch Hershel stab the next victim (or hear they were indeed burning the bodies). If he really doesn't want his children around it, then he should find a hill and live like a hermit.
Flag
You keep mentioning that everyone else is burning bodies like its the same thing.. its not. They are burning dead bodies because they don't have enough people to bury them ....they are already DEAD... Carol murdered people who were still alive and had a chance to live. Now they have the medicine some of the ill or all of them left will survive...Carol took that chance away from two people and she had no right... and it didn't make her strong or smart or bad ass ...and worse of all it didn't even do any good.
Flag
Maggie can't have it both ways: either she's so fast to accept this to see Carol as divisive or she sees Carol as divisive because everyone is burning bodies at this point.

There is no difference in what Caleb asked of Hershel and what Carol was forced to do to David. There was no cure when the first ones died, there was no cure until after Henry and Caleb died.
Flag
The burning of dead bodies is a non-issue, a question of disease control not a moral statement. Killing a live human being with forethought and without them professing a wish to die ... thats murder by any definition.

Maggie asked the single most important question immediately before agreeing with Rick's decision. "Did she admit to it?"

It doesn't take a lot of soul searching to realize that having a confessed murderer amongst the group that your survival depends upon is hardly ideal. Murder in general = bad. Murder of friends and allies = beyond the pale, way over the line, heinous, unforgiveable, etc. ...
Flag
While I've watched The Walking Dead since the beginning, it never struck me as good television until this season, and now, five episodes in, I think its safe to say this is consistent, and it oozes quality. I don't think I've even enjoyed two episodes in a row before on this show, now its at 5.
Flag
Did you say "oozes quality" on purpose? LOL
Flag
I enjoyed this episode so, so much. I liked it a lot because Hershel changed so much in this episode. I know he didn't change into something good, but this episode showed that anyone can change into something they do not want to be.
http://wp.me/3XWcR
Flag
I was never a viewer who only watched for the zombie gore and needed crazy, shoot-out, head-smashing filled action to make me like the episode; I enjoy the slower way this series goes about buliding characters and relationships, and telling a story.
That being said, this was hands-down one of my all-time favorite episodes of the entire show. When Rick threw Carl the gun and they charged forward towards that mass, it was simply amazing, I loved it! I didn't think about it being a filler episode with no major developments at all until this article actually, I was too enthralled. They took that whole crowd just the two of them, while inside Hershel & daughter kicked mayhem ass and saved Glenn - insane!
Flag
I didn't read any of the comments last week and this week I've only skimmed then a little but...

I'm wondering if I'm the only one thinking that Carol leaving the prison/group (I don't think the group will be at the prison much longer) could be lead into the spin-off series?
Flag
I felt like it was a big moment to see Maggie make the decision of saving her dad's life even if it meant damning Glenn's recovery. And they seem to be focusing on Rick's bleeding hand a lot almost as if to foreshadow (along with the Governor's return) that a big setback from the comics might occur for Rick on the show, too.
Flag
since The Walking Dead is getting a spin-off show of sorts well more of a companion series about a group of other survivors dealing with the walkers in another part of the country - maybe Carol ends up with them after driving off / being banished by Rick ??
Flag
I really liked this episode, mainly because Rick and Carl really felt like father and son, it wasn't just like Carl was someone Rick had to look after. I liked it.
Flag
Was anyone else really sad/dreading what's to come when Daryl asked, "Where's Carol?" In that situation, I am also interested in seeing how Carl will react to what Carol did, and if he'll think it was the right choice. I haven't personally read the comics, but my roommate is obsessed and has told me a bit.

This episode was even MORE intense for me (if possible), because my mom - who ended up getting to see it before I did - texted me "Hershel
Flag
I felt it was much more character-centric than it was a filler. For the most part, the episode was centered around Hershel with Rick the secondary focus. I might be wrong, but I get the feeling this was Hershel's last hoorah.
Flag
Agreed, character-centric episode. Also we half-expected Hershel to go down before the end of this episode, being seemingly impervious to the virus and saint-like in his determination to save them all... And the quiet moments with Maggie and himself... hmm
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I know nobody wants to see the Governor again, but lets face it, they left it open last season so you know they're gonna devote some significant time to it this season.
And really, where else can they go from here? I think the sickness part of this season is pretty much over. Gotta move onto the next crisis. Sure we have Carol out there somewhere (and yeah, they BETTER follow up on that) but that's not gonna fill out the rest of the season.
side note- Sorry Tim, looks to me like they're trying to develop Lizzy as long time character, :p
-
Flag
maybe but I think I might be stretching it here but lizzy might be taking on part of the role of Sophia in the comics. She's still alive and she good friends with Carl. I know Carl and Lizzy aren't friends yet but it could happen. We'll just have to wait and see..
Flag
Interestiing.. yeah, I could see it
Flag
This season reminds me a lot of LOST season 1, when they keep focusing on one character, throughout the red line..
No more Carol..i already miss her..
Rick and Carl working together the bonding, while shooting zombies..just love it..
We almost lost Glen....
THE GOVERNOR IS BACK OMG!!!! Can't wait till next week...it is going to be awesome..!!
Flag
Just wondering if anyone thinks that those who are infected with this Virus and Survive,will have some sort of Immunity from the Zombie Virus ?? Sort of like getting Cowpox, Immunizes you from Deadly Smallpox. Your comments are appreciated.
Flag
I was wondering that.. particularly with Carl's comment about how he has been in the middle of it, but hasn't gotten it. Perhaps some people have some sort of natural defense and others, like you suggest, will get immunity (or at least better resistance) from being sick with it.
Flag
That certainly wouldn't be unrealistic, from a medical point of view. The body's reasponse to infection, particularly viral infection, is very much an individual thing. And cross-immunity is not uncommon. It also occurs to me that Hershel was bitten once, perhaps exposed to a small dose of the live virus before his leg was amputated. Might account for his immunity, if he is indeed immune.
Flag
Oh yeah, it had also occured to me that the "flu" virus might be a mutation of the zombie virus which, it appears, effects wildlife other than human zombie hunters as well. That could go in all sorts of plot directions ...
Flag
No kidding - the dogs eating at that one zombie really worry me...
Flag
Best episode of the season so far. The show is moving towards where I want it to be, a combination of the cinematic, epic scale moments from Season 1 and the grounded, character-driven drama from Season 4. Fingers crossed.
Flag
Herschel was great. And I think Lizzie will become a major character: she is in the transitional phase; once passed this phase, she will become a sadistic zombie killer. I wonder how Daryl will react when he knows about Carol: I hope he will kick Ricks' butt: Rick has to stop whining and crying, enough of weakness here ...
Flag
If you ask me, Lizzy is the love child Daryl and Carol never had.

(And Mica more or less what a love child between Carol and Rick would've been).
Flag
Love the episode. Kudos to Hershel and Carl. Miss Carol, love everyone except Rick & the Governor! That's about sums it up. ;)
Flag
I'm still calling shenanigans on the fences around the prison. They had 7 MONTHS to invent clever traps and to keep the fence horde-proof!!!

Otherwise this was a solid episode and I am loving the character development. Hershel, you're quickly becoming one of my faves!
TWD is still moving (at a little slower-pace but that's ok every odd episode) forward and most importantly, in the right direction.
I'm not sure if I'm down with what they're doing with Lizzie's character. If she was a bit older (and if she was normal to begin with it) the whole "budding sociopath" would land better. This way I just see a kid who's confused and trying to make rabid dogs her pets. Trying to "humanise" the zombies, it just seems like something that a lot of kids that young would do in that situation. But I'm willing to go with it as long as the writers really go for it. I just hope that she's not just some excuse as to why Carol should've stayed - to look after Lizzy and make sure she doesn't turn into a psycho. If that is the only reason we are seeing this development with Lizzy, I don't care for it. Carol has a great solo-storyline right now and I don't want anything to get in the way of her characters journey.
Lizzie might also just be the replacement for what some people wanted to see happen with Carls character after his throwing rocks and poking Zombies in S2 and trigger-happy ways in the S3 finale.

I like the fact that the Governor is back and I hope that his "psyche" gets some real momentum and development. This dude should be the real threat (just like people's state of mind should be the real threat) and not some mindless zombie-horde at the fence. I've seen enough zombie bullshit. I want character development and an interesting plot. Although it does seem like the show is going in that direction so I'm happy about that. One thing that I agree with Tim on is that the show is better then it's ever been. Even if it's still not the show it should be. It's going to take a while to fix 3 seasons of under developed characters and lackluster storytelling.
More+
Flag
Totally in agreement on the fence thing. They have an entire prison full of raw material to work with, and Zombie's aren't exactly tactical geniuses when it comes to breaching defenses. Hell, you could just dig a deep moat, like the Governer's men did! And a drawbridge would be much cooler than that lame fence.

I'm also in the "more character, less zombie thrashing and slashing" crowd. The creepiness of living through an apocalypse (and trying to remain human,) while death lurks in very corner is, to my mind, far more powerful than the old "look out, another bad guy" video game adrenaline rush.

As for Lizzie, I have no strong opinion on her yet. The writers could go in several direction on that character. I'm willing to wait and see what pans out.

As for the haters, lets not forget that Lizzie drew that zombie down the catwalk to save Glen. That she did it so stupidly is ... well ... typically pre-teen. I don't think she's a sociopath so much as deluded by her faith that the zombies may still be human ,,, much as Herscel was when we first encountered him. A variation on the classic well-meaning but naively deluded religious nut character.

The only reason I'm happy to see the Gov is so that Michonne can finish him off and they can all get closure. Some psychotic shennigans from this severely damaged sociopath and politician (but I guess that's redundant) if it isn't too drawn out, could be viciously entertaining and provide some action sequences.
More +
Flag
Those wild dogs eating zombies will eventually become a problem. Watch your ankles.
Flag
I definitely disagree with you that this was a filler episode in any way. The fact of the matter is that this episode essentially wrapped up the epidemic storyline, which was the major arc for the first few episodes of the season. That alone makes it not filler, because something significant did happen. The next episode is definitely going to be about the aftermath of the sickness and dealing with what's next. In a sense, this was the close of the first act of season 4; hardly a "non-essential" episode.

That being said, I agree with the rest of your review wholeheartedly. Although I saw Rick's look at Carl more as one of concern than recognition. Remember, Rick was hell-bent on preventing Carl from getting his hands on another gun at the beginning of this season and I think the zombie gun down scene confirmed what Rick had been afraid of: that the state of the world has changed his son irreparably, and for the worse.

I'm going to trust that the writers know what to do with the Governor this time around in the upcoming episodes. His development (if they had completely removed Andrea from the equation) was the big highlight of last season, so I'm excited to see that continue. Especially since he's now a full-on villain.
More+
Flag
Great episode loved Hershel and his understanding that keeping the sick ones spirit hopeful was necessary he was/is a true hero. Loved that there was times I felt genuine fear for my favs and it's been awhile since I felt that. Desperately wanted to see the Rick/Daryl confrontation but understand it will stand best on its own away from the drama of this week. Still not loving Rick or his decision he is a crazy hypocrite on many levels.
Great episode and the Governor's role better be better than last season. 10/10 good job WD cast/crew.
Flag
Great, so the Governor is responsible for almost all the crap going down. Soon he'll be running the camp and Rick will be on the run in hopes of finding Carol to get his camp back, or Carol will fall under the Gov's spell and bring the smack down on Rick and let the group think for themselves. No longer excited about the end of the season, please TWD prove me wrong, no matter how the Gov is used. If only they had made him as bad-ass as he is in the comics.
Flag
This was a slow and boring episode for me.. dunno.. i'm sick of the typical inner zombie outbreak at this point... this episode got me thinking.. omg Rick!... put some tall-nut in the fences.. or at least some melon-pult or kernel-pult to control that zombie raid!.. but noo... they insist into sown regular beans.. come'on!.. at least a chomper you know!..
Flag
Yeah, I'm with you. These people have seen so much and lived this way (post-zombie apocalypse) for nearly 2 years now. They have no excuse to be that stupid. Look what Morgan did with an entire town!?! He did a better job solo (and being mentally fucked up) then all of Ricks crew put together. They've had 7 months! When Rick brought all of those Woodbury residents back he should've had them working on reinforcing the fence until it was 100% horde-proof. They could've dug holes in front of the fences around the whole perimeter so that when Zombies try to get to the fence, they just fall into the hole. It's a trick they've seen so many times! They should know better. The writers are insulting the characters and our intelligence with that shit.
Flag
Msg to self, do not post until finished episode!!
OH finally assault weapons, come on, why weren't these used before on that building mob??
I knew it was the governor feeding those rats, now he'll be really pissed. Typical narcissistic, revenge and sabotage!!
Oh give me strength to put up with the a-hole again. I don't think i've disliked a character so much!!
Flag
This must be the best episode of the season so far. What is Daryl going to do when he knows about Carol !! Herschel, you rock old man !!!
Flag
"Internment" played by sitcom rules, where by the end of the episode things were mostly the same as they were in the beginning."

And here I thought it was playing by sitcom rules because it had reached a 'Three's Company' level of coincidence. To recap, a bunch of people who got sick over the span of a couple of days all died and turned at the same time, a fence which had held for months gave way and the crew shows up with medicine just as Glen and Sasha are on their last legs. And those were just the major events.

I'm not even going to mention the whole convienent playing fast and loose with the "rules of turning" where a guy is lying dead for who knows how long and is nice enough to hold of his zombie turning until he's safely wheeled outside. Of course, a solo zombie isn't a real threat so no point in him turning in the 60 seconds or so that everybody else does. Hmm...guess I just mentioned it, huh?

What I will mention is the absurdity regarding this virus that I knew was coming. Some sort of uber flu that kills people within 2 days. Ya, that's right, flu...dead...days. Put into context, the Ebola virus from 'Outbreak' killed in 2 days. Yup, that's right, Caleb lasted as long as ol' Jimbo. I guess it's too bad that while Jimbo was smuggling monkeys, he didn't raid a vet clinic for some random drugs that would have saved his life. The absurd conclusion to this ridiculous arc was coming so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised...but still.

"I ain't being sarcastic when I say that the show is better than it's ever been, and that has everything to do with it knowing what works and what fans want."

You really are drinking the Koolaid on this, aren't ya? There's a problem with this approach...fans are idiots. If catering to those who want lots of zombies and scary stuff is the approach of the new show runner, then this isn't better than it's ever been...it's the exact same because providing a stage for the special effects people to show off their "gruesome kill of the week" enabled by some of the dumbest character made decisions and implausible sequences of events is this show's go to move.

When are they going to start catering to fans who eat up the small crumbs of character development and introspection this show drops once or twice per season. The ones who pay attention to continuity. The ones who don't celebrate unexplained character departures and 180 personality turns. When do WE get what we want?
More+
Flag
I get your frustration. I feel exactly the same. This show continuously insults our intelligence with absurdity that appeals to morons who only watch this show to see Zombie-gore. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on Tim's words because he is one of them.
However, I've come to accept that (since I'm going to continue to watch this show) this show will most likely never be what I want it to be. They cater to the masses and the masses want to see mindless gore.
I actually agree that show is better then it's ever been because we are seeing some character development - which is 100% more development then before. (It's going to take a lot more then five episodes to fix a broken show.) Unfortunately that still means that the show is mediocre dreck at best and that it will never be great television. That is extremely frustrating because the premise had so much potential. So believe me when I tell you - you're not the only one who feels that way. The virus storyline is horse shit! Carols 180 came out of NOWHERE. We should've seen that with her character back in season 2. Like I said, this is the ramifications of 3 seasons worth of wasted potential. So even the best of (showrunners) minds couldn't fix something so broken within a 5 episode span - if ever.
More +
Flag
First...another person in total agreement. I never read Tim Surette without wondering what planet he's really from.

The only problem that I have with the more rich character development that we are getting now is that prior to this, it was only done as a harbringer of doom for said character. Every single one of the now dead survivors got depth and screen time right before they were killed. So we would love them more. OMG I almost puked when they tried to make Lori likable! It had gotten to the point where I'd just know the person was doomed. I felt that way with the whole Carol/Rick in the house thing. I just KNEW she was going to be gone. Conversely, I knew Glenn would be fine because he had no monologue! So I guess what I am saying is they haven't been consistent (obviously) in anything except buildup before a kill so I don't trust it yet.

I actually don't think Carol is the one that killed and burned those two. First I thought it was one of the girls, but then I had the thought that what if it was Carl? What if she caught him and helped him? Awesome plot twist if it were true. What if Rick found out about that after the fact....that'd sure set him back to seeing ghosts and stuff in no time. LOL
More +
Flag
You are absolutely right and I think I mentioned they're usual "like-me-two-minutes-before-I-die" personality approach with the characters somewhere below on this thread. It's just bad storytelling and it's infuriating.

I've thought about that with Carol as well, that she was perhaps covering for one of the kids and took the blame to protect them but also because she was teaching them about knives so she felt responsible when they killed the two people. It would be a good twist and it would explain why Carol suddenly did a 180.
However, this being TWD, I always end up disappointed when things don't live up to my expectations. Or when characters just do things for no reason and no explanation. So I've invented a saying that "you can't think too smart when it comes to TWD" cause you'll be let down every time.
I remember in Season 3, I had all kinds of theories about "The Governor" and his "tank full of heads" and I thought that he had Milton drugging the town folks tea and doing all kinds of crazy experiments to study "the virus". In the end nothing came out of any of it and I was like, are YOU serious? So "The Governor" just has heads in his fish tanks because.....!?! "The tea" is.....just regular tea? FML!
So now, I've just lowered my expectations because no great idea has ever come to fruition when it comes to this show. Ugh!
More +
Flag
I don't share the opinion, Dr. was heartbreaking because Caleb knew what was happening to him, the nameless Bride on the pilot was a person before she became a walker.

These aren't even "secondary" characters and they are fleshed out in a way its releveant for them: from the guy that insisted the walker that killed him was only asleep, to Henry the guy that couldn't breathe.
Flag
I agree with you , this show is made for the masses , and it works because the ratings are really high so it won't change , it will be that kind of show until the end.
I am quite happy to see that I don't agree with the masses
Flag
Judging only be the ratings failure that is The Vampire Diaries or Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, I believe that if The Walking Dead was made for the masses or to obey a trend it wouldn't be as successful as it is.
Flag
Me too. I am glad I'm not the only one and especially glad that there's someone else on this thread who isn't following the sheepish mentality of the masses. :)
Flag
I´m sorry I have to disagree: I found this episode quite boring...don´t misundestand me, it´s still better than second or third seasons, but really nothing happened...and I wasn´t nervous about the situation at all...
I was looking forward to see the way Rick tells Daryl about Carol, but I can wait a week
Flag
Re: Maggie didn't protest at all or ask any further questions.
Glenn is very sick, and she knows it, pretty sure she would be alright with abandoning someone who would like to torch him... (Can I propose a catch-phrase for Carol along the lines of 'Sick Burn!')

One thing that keeps annoying me, is the 'Too Dumb to Live' Woodburians meat bags (Lori would have fit in well with them) who cannot grasp the concept of locking their cell doors, either to protect themselves, or contain themselves if they become walkers.
If everyone did that, the Hershal could've just gone around poking the ones that didn't make it, or, if a walker got free he could just run into a cell and make a heap of noise to draw the walker to him, then poke them through the bars!
Flag
This! A MILLION TIMES. Hey, guess where you are, a prison. Guess what could save your life? Being secure somewhere where a zombie can't get at you. Oh HEY! Cells.
Flag
WOW that was one hell of 43min and 02 sec

I just could not figure out what will happen all along, i first had money on Hershel dying, then Glenn, then Maggie accidentally shooting hershel while he plays Hell in The Cell (well this one is just a filler joke lol). Then Lizzy going all walker - but i was wrong!! and thank god for that.
Then the fence got compromised, Rick and Carl shared a father and son moment shooting some serious guns - DAMNNNNNNN one hell of intense episode.

Ben Howard tune slotted in nicely.

Cant wait to see next weeks episode, looks like we know where the rats come from now..
perhaps Lizzy is helping the Gov ??? She must have some story written as she is practically the only one from Woodberry who gets screen time.

Carol will defo come back!!!

I do hope the Gov story wont drag on for ageeesssss..... and anyone else think that its time to leave the prison now? it was awesome when we first found about it in season 2 finale but now feel like we need some new surroundings.

(Woodbery is out of question because that set is occupied by Revolution hahahaha)

More+
Flag
I think you might be right about Lizzy..
Flag
It is now official, Carl is my favorite character. The kid hardly complain and he seems much stronger than even his dad, though I still question whether or not he actually killed his mother.
Flag
I didn't see it as a filler at all. Rick returned to his full-out sheriff ways, Carl showed he's a complete bad-ass and Rick finally accepted him for what he is (I hope so, anyway), Hershel showing that even in this crazy world, the best way to keep going is to keep the ppl's spirits and hopes up (those of you complaining that he should have just stabbed the dead in full view, don't understand anything). Even Lizzy had some character development! Great episode!
I'm not thrilled about who's coming back next week. I hope the governor's death is speedy and satisfactory. He's a terrible villain.
Flag
i felt that there were several metaphors running throughout this episode but i think the main one they might have been trying to convey was how the prison fell apart at the seams (from the inside out) without carol. perhaps they were saying it fell apart without darryl and michonne also but i thought they were trying to get that across. also i felt there were little metaphors throughout such as Hershel as a kind of saviour or God-like figure (pulling out the Bible a lot, putting himself on the line to save his sudo son Glenn), the two peas in a pod thing with Rick and Carl literally eating two peas from a pod, there was a lot of father/son/daughter things going on here and many people grew in this episode so i dont see it as filler at all. hershel made hard choices and maggy made a choice between her father and her partner when she shot that bullet. im gripped by these episodes, i find it incredible that they have created this whole society and characters that you really do care about. im often left in tears just seeing the pain each person is going through and it really makes you think about how you would behave given a similar situation!
More+
Flag
Ah the Gov., how we haven't missed you. I got tired of his character after a bit and felt it too overhyped. Yes he's a nutter, but in that world you're just going to twat his ass. And I fear next week is going to be the real filler ep. The sneak peak with him singing Kumbaya My Lord to himself around his camp fire had me sighing. You're in zombie Hell and canvas tents with a considerable fire is the way to go? Didn't work too well in previous seasons. And the money shot of him standing outside the burning mansion had me wondering which cock rock tune they were going to use!
Maggie et al. being ok with Carol's ostracism was a cop out in a way but then when you consider that for she and Hershal have always been more invested in the sanctity of life, especially for their loved ones. Daryl should be interesting times though.
And people, you have water running nearby. BUILD A FUCKING MOAT - didn't they have castles in this universe? Zombie Ice Capades in Winter. YAY!
Flag
'he was that Dutch kid who was sticking his fingers in the cracks of a dam that we all knew would burst'. You're a bit of a prude aren't you :-) We Dutch, and you also, know he plugs a dike with his finger, thus preventing the sea to conquer the land behind the dike. He saves the day where 'Hershel didn't succed. It even isn't a Dutch story, but by an Amrican woman,
Flag
hehehe......you said "dyke"......hehehe
Flag
he said plug a dike with finger hehe
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS