A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
Just look at the flowers and we'll count 1, 2, 3. Is it working? "The Grove" gave us a glimpse at the pretty flowers, a vision of a nucler family, the sanctuary in which three little girls and two adults may have had the chance to heal...in any world but their own.

For Tyreese, the pretty flowers were this chance to rest at a home, to watch Mika & Judith playing or Carol teaching Lizzie how to cook, not ready to think about his sister, to dream about his girlfriend or get to know other people but the ones he already trusts.

For Mika, the pretty flowers were a doll and a deer, to spend the last days of her life sorrounded by the people she cared about, to remember her mother and how she used to say "Everything works out the way its supposed to". She isn't weak, she just can't kill the living. And killing the dead is what spared her executioner.

For Lizzie, the pretty flowers were actual flowers; flowers she forced herself to watch whenever her family killed one of her friends, the flowers she wanted to gather for her sister and the last flowers she ever saw, for she had already changed into something that couldn't be around people.

For Carol, there were no pretty flowers, just things that needed to be done; a book to finish, a deer to shot, a hug to return, a little girl to bury and one she has to shot. A man that just forgave her and a nightmare she has to protect a baby from.

Shooting Lizzie, in itself, is a lesson. To look at the flowers the only code they have to deal with something that is very wrong, to understand that what she did was very wrong. And what makes it all the more difficult to watch is that, even in the end, Lizzie is loved, just like Mika was, just like Carol is, just like Karen & David were.

There are no easy answers, just flowers to look at in order to go on. So look at the pretty flowers and tell me if it works.

poll

Comments (16)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I agree man, this episode just elevated the show to all-time status along with Breaking Bad. Even the most jaded viewer is sure to stare transfixed, mouth agape at the stunning brutality and remarkable realism that these writers and actresses portrayed.
Flag
I also think it was brilliant writing to have Lizzie yell "it was the same thing" when Carol killed that walker, because it was almost a reaction one would expect from her own death.
Flag
They should have shown the shooting (by that I mean Lizzie being hit) since they decided to go all out and have a living child shot. Would have been all the more horrible, but I'm guessing morality got the slightly better of this one case. Anyway, I wonder if there is an intended connection between "look at the flowers" when she killed Lizzie and the Texas rose she looked at before and after her own daughter's death.
Flag
I didn't think about a connection because, to look at the flowers, wass something that occured to Mika to ease her sister whenever she was upset.

However, pretty flowers is yet another one of those things that reminds me Daryl and Carol are only a few trees away.
Flag
The more I think about it the more I think there is a connection, albeit not a very significant one, and nothing that really forwards the plot save perhaps to assuage Carol's guilt at what she did.
Flag
I think its also telling that wild flowers are always present in her life: either to lifther spirit because the loss of her daughter, to ease the passing of her adoptive daughters, or sorrounding Judith after Mika was killed.

Like it or not, judith is the only daughter This regular "Widow Douglas" has left (Goodbye my Huckelberry friend/Mika).
Flag
Carol's pretty flower was her confession to Tyreese and his forgiveness. In a way, his forgiveness probably eased the pain of the Lizzie and Mika tragedy, as well as the Karen and David tragedy. Carol needed to come clean to focus on the journey ahead. She and Tyreese are Judith's protectors now, and Judith, herself, is the prettiest flower in a very ugly world.
Flag
True, there's is beauty in the way Carol is literally going against Rick's words and being trusted with Judith, even if she and Tyreese are - supposedly - the only two people left.

Is like Carol has proven wrong everythin Rick ever said when he banished her. And, ironically, she did so by killing the few that threaten the many in front of Tyreese.
Flag
This will forever be an unforgettable hour of television.Not just that scene with the flowers,but also Lizzie killing Mika in cold blood and her viewing zombies as playthings or friends will haunt me for a long time and there's isn't enough flowers in the world that will ease that shock and yet every TV show should have a 'Look at the flowers' episode that shocks and dares you to not look away.
That scene with the flowers will always represent that where there's beauty,tragedy isn't far behind.Welcome to the world of The Walking Dead!
Flag
Although not exactly pretty flowers, I thought it was fitting for Tyreese to watch Carol shot Lizzie to protect him & Judith. It rang true to what Carol did when she killed Karen & David to protect the group.

Tyreese knew how much Carol cared about the girls, he saw how much it pained her to kill Lizzie and therefore was able to understand how much it must have pained her to kill Karen.
Flag
Looking at the flowers does work, because despite the show's theme focus-- A birth in the physical world is a death in the spiritual world. A death in the physical world, is a birth in the spiritual world. Some things are constant, as is Love and a soul.
Flag
If anything, Mika was right about one thing: everything works out the way its supposed to. Even if the characters - or the audience - can't understand it. Hershel would've been proud of them.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members