A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S04E10: "Inmates"

Because The Walking Dead is operating as a never-ending zombie drama without any real long-form story other than "don't get eaten," everyone's expiration date on the freshness of the series is going to differ. For some viewers, the show went sour when Rick and crew hunkered down at the Greene Family Farm for a post-apocalyptic debate on ethics; for others, things curdled during the Woodbury shenanigans of Season 3. I've never seriously considered quitting the show, but I'm now smelling the carton every time I watch a new episode because I'm wondering what's really keeping me here. (Okay I know the answer, it's zombies.) 

The Walking Dead isn't asking any real questions these days, except for "Did that person die?" and  "What will everyone do now?" That was incredibly apparent in "Inmates," an hour of reconnecting with the rest of the gang after the prison was torched and overrun by the undead. And unlike last week's "After," "Inmates" didn't even attempt to touch on a theme, resorting more to "stuff happened" and some horror-movie tricks. 

The most interesting thing about "Inmates" was that it played like a series of short stories, starting out with Beth and Daryl running from zombies. Then it was Tyreese, Myka, and Lizzie running from zombies. Then it was Maggie, Sasha, and Bob running from zombies. And finally it was Glenn and Tara running from zombies. With everyone split up, The Walking Dead had to make some decisions about how to handle its separate stories, and this seemed as good a way as any, given the situation that Season 4B is backed into. But expect things to be sloooooooow in the early going, because there's just not enough time for everyone to get a full-episode arc. And while there's nothing we can do about that, we CAN look at each group's happenings and give them grades! 

BETH AND DARYL OR "BARYL"

Beth and Daryl probably got the worst of splitting time, as their story, which we'll call The Zombie Apocalypse According to an Optimist and a Pessimist, did little but tell us they weren't dead. Voiceover from Beth read entries from her pre-prison times when she was hopeful of the security the prison offered, going so far as to offer that they could live there forever. Err, maybe not, Beth. It played opposite to what was happening on screen, which was... running from zombies! Even in the face of danger, Beth held on to a lot of positive vibes and hope, whereas Daryl was a Debbie Downer, raining on Beth's parade with gloomy gazes from underneath his sweaty bangs. It was incredibly disappointing to see Daryl like this, and frankly, out of character. Yeah, Daryl is the cranky loner, but he's also shown a fondness for Beth and a propensity to protect those in need. Even you hardcore Daryl lovers had to think he was being a dick, right? Beth had a breakdown and all Daryl did was walk away. Pretty weak, dude! I would never do that to you, Beth. Although I might push you into a zombie if it was a you-or-me situation. Sorry! Other than realizing that Beth knew how to read and write, nothing really happened here. Grade: D

TYREESE, LIZZIE, AND MYKA OR "TYRIZZKA"

Tyreese, Lizzie, and Myka had an extra visitor with them: Judith! Yes, Judith was not dead OBVIOUSLY and Tyreese was stuck playing makeshift daddy to her and to Dumb and Dumber. There was some really weird stuff going on with these guys, most noticeably with psychopath Lizzie. Did she murder those bunnies? And she seemed to enjoy smothering Judith a little too much. I know I used to harp on this little zombie-naming nutjob, but if she's gone off the deep end and has the potential to murder anyone at anytime, then I take it all back. Myka, on the other hand, was an idiot. She got so scared by a bird that she ran off on her own screaming like a little girl. Grow up, kid! Later, Tyreese would run off to help some randoms but they were so dumb that they kept getting snuck up on by zombies from behind so they all died. And then guess who saved Myka and Lizzie's asses? Carol! Carol's back, y'all! I love you, Carol. Apparently she's just been driving around and then watched the prison burn down? She didn't tell us much about what she's been up to, but who cares, because Carol is back! And now Carol is with Tyreese, who still doesn't know she killed Karen. It sets up a situation where Carol can prove her worth to Tyreese so he doesn't get too mad that Carol killed her girlfriend, I guess. Or Tyreese finds out and puts a hammer through her eye. Under advice from a dying old man, the group followed the train tracks until they reached a sign for Terminus, a new supposed safe haven. This was probably the most eventful of all the stories (Judith's alive! Carol's back! Terminus!), but it was also the most random (WTF Lizzie?). However, compared to the others, this felt like it had some purpose. Grade: B

MAGGIE, SASHA, BOB OR "MASHOB"

Maggie had the disadvantage of being saddled with Sasha and Bob, two of the least interesting characters left, but it worked out in Maggie's favor because this was all about her. Separated from her husband, Mrs. Rhee was determined to find Glenn or his corpse, preferably the former. So she hoofed it towards the direction of the escape bus, with Sasha and Bob following along because they had nothing better to do. It wasn't long before they found the bus, and of course it was full of zombies, but Maggie had to be sure that Glenn wasn't one of them. So they devised a system where they'd let one zombie out at a time and then killed all of them as they poured out. Nope, that zombie wasn't Glenn. Not that one either. That one's a woman, so nope. Nope nope nope, no Glenn. Maggie then hopped on the bus where one more zombie was pinned beneath a corpse, and when he got up, Maggie stabbed him in the face and cried a lot. We never saw his face, only the back of his head, and it sure looked like it could have been Glenn, meaning it was a perfect time for a commercial break to keep us wondering. This was all about Maggie and Glenn, which meant Sasha and Bob didn't get squat. But really, does anyone care about Sasha and Bob? Not I. Turn 'em into chum. Grade: C

GLENN OR "GLENN"

Hey Maggie! Glenn's alive! Glenn was back at the prison waking up from a an illness-induced nap. Surrounded by zombies, he went inside to resupply and found a mother lode of equipment, including that sweet riot gear he wears so well. He suited up and shoved his way outside where he saw Tara sitting quietly behind a chain link fence just sorta there. I don't know why there weren't any zombies around her, so don't ask. Glenn grabbed her and the two ran out of the prison, Tara told him Hershel died, Glenn said he had to find Maggie, some zombies were killed, and then a truck showed up with Michael Cudlitz, some other guy, and a girl dressed like a sexy army brat. Whaaaa? Big points for Glenn because he was a badass, minus a point for Tara, and plus a point for a legitimately interesting cliffhanger (and that entirely unnecessary sexy military outfit). Grade: B

So that was "Inmates," in which stuff happened. There wasn't any real direction, there wasn't any real goal, stuff just happened. I was all excited to see the group finally leave the comfy confines of the prison, but now I'm not sure if splitting them up was the right idea. The good news is that they're all so close that they'll eventually run into each other (Michonne already met up with Rick and Carl), but until then, the stories will be spread too thin. Overall Grade: C

NOTES AND LOTS OF QUESTIONS

– "Lizzie hand me a diaper" was on high on the list of things I'd never expect Tyreese to say. But I'm glad he said it.

– How are people still getting snuck up on by zombies? Open your earholes, people! They're not exactly masters of stealth. 

– Is dressing like a sexy army girl a good choice for apocalypse fashion? 

– Lizzie is a proven deadeye shot. So why was Myka holding a gun? Was it because Lizzie is a better baby murderer? And did you notice how Lizzie was super into smothering Judith? She didn't even care that zombies were bearing down on her. 

– Why did Tara say she saw her sister and her nephew? Did she mean niece? 

– Does dialogue mean anything to this show anymore?

– Glenn threw the molotov at the car to distract zombies. Are zombies more attracted to fire than they to human flesh? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

432 Comments
Comments (432)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I liked Maggie's and Glenn's story lines. You could really feel the need to find each other. Although there were some serious mistakes in some of the zombie actions. The whole scene of Glenn going to talk Tara into surviving was flawed in that way. They could have fixed that and added some action if the Zombies would have acted the way they normally would.
Flag
I thought it was a decent episode, but not great. The writing had some flaws. One involved Glenn with his super suit--the guard suit he put on to recharge his health and make himself invincible. When he came across the zombie hoard, he chose to charge right into the middle of it. All he had to do was run a few feet to the right which was wide open, clear of the pesky undead. He was supposed to be in bad shape, or at least not in good shape, but he still charged ahead unfettered, caring tons of stuff including a heavy rifle and forty plus pounds of body armor.

The worst part, though, was Tyreese leaving the two kids and a baby behind while he went gallivanting around. The younger one had just demonstrated a propensity to run off at the slightest noise, meaning she'd be a prime candidate for zombie poopification.

They're both kids. Zombies were all around. And to top it off, they had just saved the guy's life. He basically abandoned them. What Carol or Lizzie or whoever did to his sick girlfriend in a previous episode was really nothing compared to this. When Carol showed up, she should have just told him that she or Lizzie or whoever killed his girl friend, and maybe just shot him in the head for being a worthless human being who needlessly jeopardizes children.

That was just truly awful or lazy writing. I mean, the scene could have been handled so much better than that. Maybe the writers just ran out of time or budget for the episode and couldn't fix the mess they had written. "We've passed the deadline, and this is garbage." "Submit it anyway! It's quitting time. Those lines at home won't snort themselves!"
More+
Flag
The main thing this episode did was remind me of how much I hate kids. Is there anything worse than a baby that just won't stop crying? I massively turned down my volume for those bits and it still grated. I hope "Judith crying will attract the walkers" won't be a frequent thing.
Flag
actually i loved the 2 episodes,separate stories but definitely looking to converge.
the minimal dialogue, the long pauses of silence has been used effectively, not sure why this episode did not impress you.
Flag
Hey! Stop hating on Daryl! He has his own shit to deal with. His best friend left, he just lost the only proper home he ever had where he was safe, and respected and loved. His brother is dead. His surrogate family are missing, presumed dead. Let's not forgot what happened the last time someone got separated from the group and he dared to remain positive (Sophia anyone?).
He hasn't got the strength to emotionally babysit Beth. It wouldn't do her any good anyway if she is going to become an MVP like Carol she needs to learn to deal with her loses and become hard and practical.
Flag
I think Lizzie killed the 2 sick people at the prison and Carol knew about it but took the blame to save Lizzie. I think Lizzie was the one who was feeding the zombies at the fence and left the dead rat that Tereece was looking at when Rick was about to tell him Carol was the one who killed them. Carol looked concerned when she found the girls and seen that they were with Tereece, maybe she's afraid he will find out it was Lizzie that did it.
Flag
Haaaah duuuuude that is pretty good deducing right there. They never did tackle the thing with the rats in the end.

Holy crap, what if Lizzie was also responsible for that plague somehow? I mean, people don't usually vomit blood abruptly from just the flu, that thing never felt really explained (at first I thought the Governor had been doing it, infecting the prison with plague rats or something).
Flag
Daryl was being a total jerk to Beth. I like Daryl, but his scene with Beth at the beginning went nowhere besides prove they were alive, I must begrudgingly admit.

I was really relieved that Judith was still alive, and strangely happy that Carol appeared again.

The scene with Maggie in the bus bored me and made my attention wander, and I blame AMC for their bumpers for that, because they put Glenn in one of them, showing him to still be alive, so I figured there was no way he was in the bus that Maggie was rampaging through.

More than anything else from this episode, the scenes with Lizzie being creepy and almost smothering Judith stuck with me the most. It was more disturbing than anything else in the ep.
Flag
LOL me and the wife sat there watching and asked the same question how the heck are these seasoned zombie hunters getting snuck up on? Clean the crap out of your ears.
Flag
We all know that every show has a slowing down period. Lull, I guess you would call it. But for every lull, I find that there is a marvelous few episodes that keep creep up from that lull. Mean while, at the same time, giving us statues on where these characters are now within their minds, souls and physical strength. I like the way TWD is playing out right now.
Flag
" For some viewers, the show went sour when Rick and crew hunkered down at the Greene Family Farm for a post-apocalyptic debate on ethics"

You mean like you? Honestly, every season, especially at the beginning, I feel like I've smelled the carton of the carton smellers :P , because every time it's the same rigamaroll. Yes, the Farm House was lame, and the Woodburry Shenanigans were tiresome at times, but we're still here aren't we? The show has its UPS AN DOWNS. But you know what's kind of annoying? Treating every down like it's the end of the show. It's like that bike character from Portlandia, "This show is OVER man! It's SOOOO OVER!" every single time there is a lull. Let them tell some stories and get stuff together, sheesh.

I liked the first episode a lot, and this one less actually, but just because the questions they ask aren't as fresh doesn't mean they aren't asking questions. I think mentioning ever review how awesome zombies are and that they keep us here only to complain that not much else is going on (until there is) is a confusing was to follow the show all in all. I hardly feel like jumping ship, and actually the preview for next weeks episode sounds like things are going to get interesting, you know, now that they've gone through the arduous task apparently of spending a few episodes letting us know what happened to everyone and how they're doing..
More+
Flag
OMG - Lizzy! NOW I get it...
Totally forgot that story arc! Ugh...this is going to be tough, how could I forget about this? I have to reevaluate my expectations ... can't... spoil... it's gonna be... controversial. Holy shit. Still processing ...
Flag
Horrible episode. Way too much stupidity and weak drama. A problem often seen in jump scare shows like these is that they expect the viewer to accept that the only thing the characters see and hear is what the camera picks up. Point in case the reason why noone is able to sense zombies until they're up in their faces.
Flag
It was pretty standard Walking Dead. There hasn't been many properly good episodes lately where I could say I was excited about getting to the next episode. This is fairly typical of TWD, some interesting, quicker paced episodes surrounded by episodes that move at a slow shuffle dragging its feet. I'm not done with the show of course, but I feel like I'm going through the motions more than anything else. We're not really seeing much that we haven't already seen before, so I sincerely hope this "safe haven" along the train tracks isn't just another Woodbury in the works and brings something new to the table different from the dozen or so places they've settled in the past.
Flag
Lizzie is starting to scare me more than the zombies

Flag
Can i just say i disagree with Tim. I don't just watch the show for Zombies. I watch it for the journey of these characters as well. Some likeable and some not. Not all tv shows follow a narrative but yet are still likeable with out one. This show although not a tour du force in the acting department is still entertain, exciting, and intruiging...The Zombies are the icing on the cake.
Flag
It's worth noting that, in the comics, there were two twin boys (Billy and Ben). One of them ends up killing the other and the group realizes he's a little psychopath. Then Carl goes and kills him.
Flag
Don't say that...kinda spoilers (good thing I'm already up-to-date with the comic)
Flag
I love walking dead atm think its been strong throughout. in terms of where the show is going? well theres part A of the answer: survival for the main characters. part B is what about human villains? depends how long the show stays on tv. personally i hope it does 8-10 seasons at least.
Flag
What is the end game of this show? (Not that I would ever think of quitting it - I'm hooked) Was just wondering if anyone has
Flag
In the end they will all be eaten
Flag
There is no end game. Basically following a group of people trying to survive the apocalypse.
Flag
I like how Mika is terrified for her safety because she identified with Sasha and Lizzie with Tyreese.

It's exactlty how I can tell whether or not I would survive any given scenario on this show! (And I'm still gone with Dr. Jenner)
Flag
Q. How are people still getting snuck up on by zombies? Open your earholes, people! They're not exactly masters of stealth.

A. I'm assuming the exhaustion from hours of walking, malnutrition, and lack of sleep has something to do with the inability of 'opening earholes'.

Q.Glenn threw the molotov at the car to distract zombies. Are zombies more attracted to fire than they to human flesh?

A. Zombies are attracted to heat. Heat from fire > Body heat.

Q.Is dressing like a sexy army girl a good choice for apocalypse fashion?

A. Yes

Flag
Yeah...the characters are totally exhausted and malnourished. C'mon man. You're just adding filler to fit your needs. There's zero continuity where that's concerned. Zero. And considering how energetic Carl seemed to be (so much so that he would play with a few zombies), then your argument is completely invalidated. It's bad writing. It's manufactured drama. I still watch the show, even though I'm not fooled into thinking the characters are real or even exhibit hypothetical realism.

Don't be silly.
Flag
Quite honestly, you cant possibly compare the energy of a teenage child to those in their 30's, 40's or even 50's. Its basic biology for gods sake.

Moreover, you clearly missed the 20 minutes of the show prior to carl playing with zombies, where he eats breakfast, all of which happens after spending an entire nights worth of sleep in a house.

None of the other members of the group had such privileges, all of whom were in a forest. How can you possible compare the energy of a teen after a full nights sleep and breakfast, to those in their 30's, 40's who've been walking/running in a forest, and eating a few barriers if anything.

Its about using your common sense and observation if anything. The show cant possibly waste time spoon feeding people with reiterated dialogue of the character's complaining about how their hungry.
Flag
Common sense, eh? You don't want to compare energy levels of different age ranges, but you'd like to employ common sense between the real world and one that's zombie infested.

I'm not saying spoon feed, 'cause that's what this show's doing anyway, but at least provide continuity. You can illustrate starvation and hunger (which should be the BIGGEST common threat) in other ways than simply saying, "I'm hungry," or, "we haven't eaten in daaaaaays."

I think to the things the show does well, and I'm hard-pressed to find one. I said before, the Pilot and Clear impressed me. Also, Rick's response to Lori's death was also impressive; but those moments are far too few in my opinion. So moments like these stick out.
Flag
Why is that not believable? They were in battle with the gov, retreated with no time to gather provisions (hence, no food or water), and hung out in the forest all night. They were afraid to sleep so they sat by the fire all night, hungry and exhausted--not to mention devastated by losing everyone and everything. Carl, on the other hand, rested on a sofa in a house all night and ate dry cereal. Plus, he is younger and more resilient. I think you are making an argument to suit your needs. MJ-ps3 made some good points.
Flag
I'm clearly watching a different show. 'Cause apart from Rick, whose only reason for taking the day off, is because he was bludgeoned to near-death the episode before. However, and as you stated, none of the other characters have had the good fortune of resting and eating. Yet, there they are, no bags under their eyes, no mention of desperately needing rest. I'm not saying we can't just imply these circumstances, because that seems to be what this show wants us to do rather than put in the work, but it strikes me as lazy to only use these situations when it suits the story.

Also, Glenn donned full on riot gear, then ran into a horde rather than side-stepping. Mythbusters proves this to be fool-hearty!
Flag
I never said you or anyone else is an idiot so do not put words in my mouth, please. Besides, it's just a friggin TV show.
Flag
I had to remove my last post because, honestly...I was just repeating myself. You're not getting it, and I expected exactly that. So...yeah, fine. They're all exhausted and hungry, all of the time, despite the ridiculous narrative and choreography that proves everything to the contrary. Tim is a fucking idiot, I'm a fucking idiot, and everyone who doesn't think like you is an idiot. All of us idiots need to be spoon fed the brilliance.

Also, I haven't seen enough action movies. Apparently that's true. Thank you for that.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Actually, Daryl and Beth did show signs of exhaustion when they were running through the field and all at once they both fell out on the ground.
Flag
I don't think they need to talk about how tired they are; it's pretty obvious to most of us. Also, if I remember correctly, the entire prison yard was over-run so I do not see how Glenn could have side-stepped dozens of walkers to get through the gates. He was wise to don the suit even if he was going to sneak around.

How many action movies have you seen? Not many, I assume. Tom Cruise hangs from a window ledge by his fingertips and doesn't fall, but he doesn't take the time to explain to the viewers how he is able to accomplish this impossible feat. "Oh, by the way, audience, I'm really standing on a platform that you cannot see in the final edit of the film because no one can really hang 100 stories up from their fingertips."
Flag
Great answers! It's easy for us viewers to think we could avoid the walkers or easily take them down as we sit on our sofas eating nachos and drinking beer. lol!

Frankly, I thought Glenn's goal was to cause the car to explode, thereby exploding some of those walkers, but either way, the trick worked. Thank goodness for Bob's bottle of liquor!

Southern heat and humidity definitely call for light clothing. This is probably why a still ailing Glen passed out --between the exertion of his virus-weak body fighting walkers and wearing that stifling riot gear!
Flag
Nothing exciting here, except that JUDITH is alive! Glad for that.

The way Darly treated Beth was DISGUSTING and not like him at all. Far more interesting if they had shown him being torn-take the chance of comforting her, even though it means feeling more connected, or just ignore her. DIdn't like that.

The scene where the CHILDREN are left ALONE in the forest! DID not make any sense. No one would do that.

Carol's reappearance a little TOO convenient. Right, just in the nick of time.

Why is Glen at the PRISON??? And suddenly ready to fight????

Sloppy writing. Could have been done much better.

BTW, the show always seems RUSHED, since the start of season three. WHAT is the big hurry???? RUSH so we can see more meaningless shots of meaningless zombies attacking.....blah blah blah.

There's no style or thematic integrety-the characters aren't consistent. It feels contrived.

The most interesting parts I thought were with Glen and Maggie. I always hope for more good episodes (I like the ones where the GOverner returned-that was interesting, we had a multilayered character who was changing). Sigh....it gets old. I imgine them sitting around the writers room asking, "OKAY, where can we throw in some walkers???? Can we add a couple new people to kill HERE and HERE?????" So boring. The diolouge is not smart or clever or meaningful anymore.

I have to say that Machone is ALWAYS great. What an actress. GOod to see Carol back, although, once again, with no EXPLAINATION.
More+
Flag
Problem with Daryl is that Beth may look like Beth but, at the end of the day, she is not Carol.

He just can't be as excited to be with her as the audience is that she's with him.
Flag
To me, what this episode did the most was showcase who's a good actor and who's really struggling with their respective roles. The MVP is Lizzie. That girl manages to be creepy and kick-ass with the little time she gets on screen. Excellent. Most of the "old crew" have now settled in their roles, so they get props: Daryl and Karol (both really natural, "non-acting" in their roles) top props, Maggie and Glenn a little less. New people: Bob's getting in his role of positive thinker quite well. I have to say Sasha, and especially Tyreese, who gets a lot of screen time but does nothing with it, have not been doing that great, and Myka... well, less said the better.
Anyhoo, a filler episode, nothing more... 5/10
Flag
I absolutly loved this episode, I can finally feel some exitment again that involves this show.
The previous season and the previous 7 episodes were just boring if im honnest now im finnaly looking forward again to a next episode I cant wait honnestly.
I loved the cliffhanger at the end of the show I was so exited to see Michael Cudlitz he was my favorite character on Band of Brother.
On a foot note Lizzy is evil !
Flag
Personally I really liked this episode but I've also read all of the comics which I believe makes the show a different experience for me than people who have not read the comics. For example when Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita showed up I jumped out of my seat and was like "Aww yeah!" cause 1) I really love Abrahams character and 2) They looked exactly how they did in the comics (hence the sexy military outfit). If you aren't enjoying these episodes Tim then I highly recommend giving the comics a chance. I'm confident it would change your experience with the show. (PS Comics are still better though)
Flag
I don't think Tim gets the drift of the show. All he seems to want to see are anything to do with zombies. This show has no purpose for him because he can't see any out come to the show but everyone dying. So the purpose to live in this show is to kill zombies or else there is no purpose left but to die. I think we are watching two different show Tim.
Flag
I really didn't think I would be in such the minority, but I thought it was a terrible episode full of bad writing and seemingly smart people doing stupid things for the sake of phony drama or to move the story along. It's one of the worst tv tropes out there. Beth and Daryl see dead walkers in the middle of a clearing and are both looking all around, yet the slowest, noisiest zombie in the world sneaks up on them somehow (soooo getting sick of this happening in almost every episode). Glenn's not on the bus and wakes up on the edge of a catwalk that got blown up and experiences a miraculous recovery. Glenn walks into a group of 30 walkers because he's wearing body armor, instead of simply trying to avoid the giant mob. Glenn tells Tara, "I don't want you, I need you", then coughs once and suddenly becomes deathly ill again. Tyreese leaves three small children behind for people who are already being attacked / on their way to becoming zombies so that Carol can show up and save the girls / prevent Judith from being smothered to death / get in good with Tyreese. I love this show, but this just wasn't a good episode.
More+
Flag
Yup. The ceaseless sneaking up of walkers is really wearing thin and really has to stop. They are the noisiest, most lumbering of beasts, so the believability factor is just, well, dead. Ditto for the fact that on one hand, their teeth bite through everything including denim and their skulls stop bullets, yet a good boot will crush said skull no problem. The writers should really work on these things, as they simply point to lazy writing.
Flag
I agree completely. It's kinda sad to see a show that started off so well, such high quality, go downhill. I think they are trying to squeeze the golden goose until every last drop of gold is theirs-why bother with quality when you can get ratings without it???? Too bad. I wish Frank Darabout (?s) had been allowed to stay on the show.

That is probably the difference between TWD and Breaking Bad. They got rid of Frank and probably anyone who insisted on quality (which was time and money consuming, I suppose), then put in this latest showrunner who would be more 'cooperative'. With Breaking Bad the creator had control all the way through, and HE decided when to end it. They didn't try to stretch it out in order to get every last dime out of it. That's one of the few shows which was good to the last drop, er, episode.

Flag
Yawn. I am done with TWD.
Flag
I have enjoyed the second half of the season...not a surprise since I often disagree with Tim's takes on shows.
I found the mini-eps of the various groups entertaining. It gave the show a chance to spend some time with each of the survivors.
Might be obvious but I also liked how all the groups were seeking to reunite.
They had built a community and relationships that they would like to have again.
The cliffhanger ending once again reminds the viewer that zombies are not the only danger.
Flag
I was watching this last night and all I could think is, what is the point of all this? At the start of TWD we had Rick looking for his wife and son, this was the purpose of the show. Then he finds them and we go really down hill after that. I think my two biggest complaints with the show is the unwillingness of the writers to kill off main characters, and the total lack of character development.
All of the Woodbury residents are dead now, but the main characters have all miraculously survived. Glen was extremely ill on that bus, then he has a nap and wakes up fine? I used to love Maggie and Glen and their romance, now I could not care less thanks to their stagnant storyline. I wish Glen was on the bus and she had to kill him, at least that would have been interesting. Instead everyone is wandering around until they all just bump into each other again. So again, what is the point of the show, to keep walking around in circles forever? The characters are not strong enough to carry this.
I want something unexpected to happen. Instead of crying Beth, I'd be trying it on with Daryl!!! It would have been pretty shocking if Lizzie had killed Judith. What if Glen had used Tara as zombie fodder, or if they shagged? Or if anything at all happened.
Also Glen puts on a bit of plastic or rubber or whatever and he can force his way through dozens of walkers? And Tara who wouldn't use her gun is crack shot.
More+
Flag
Unwillingness to kill off main characters??? Disagree.
Hershel isn't a main character???
Flag
One character doesn't count. It's a zombie Apocalypse and half these people are idiots. They have endless near misses, unlike unknown characters which are used for fodder all the time. A cull would be good for the show and it would keep us on our toes as viewers. I can't be worried about walkers in a bus when I know they won't kill off Maggie, same with Rick, Carl, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn. In four season only four big characters have died, Shane, Lori, Andrea, and Hershel. We should be worried about these characters, we should be fearful of them dying all the time.
Flag
Amy, Jim, Jackie, DALE, and T-DOG!
Flag
Dale and T-Dog were major characters. Dale died on the farm. Dale was the moral compass of the group. And was heavily involved in the storyline. Hershel took over that role in season 3. T-Dog didn't have many lines in season 2, but had plenty in seasons 1&3. Amy and Jim died in the middle of season 1. But were prominent up to that point.

Amy was Andrea's sister, Jim had the dream about a Walker attack, and dug several graves before the attack. Jackie stayed at the CDC, when it exploded. She's the one that knew Jim had been bit, and was in the Atlanta store, in the second episode Guts.

As for your premise, that they won't kill any of those you listed. I think that only Rick and Michonne are safe. But i believe that only Carl, will the only original left by the end of the series. Michonne may survive, but either Glenn or Maggie will die, this season or early next.

You don't have to like the show, but your premise is flawed. Even by your own standards, they have killed 4 out of 9 major characters. That's almost half.
More +
Flag
They aren't main characters. I don't even remember the first three. T-dog barely had any lines.
Flag
Too little Daryl, sadly.
But I'm SO glad Carol's back. (and I bet Judith is too, given that Lizzie is such a sociopath!)
I didn't care much for Maggie's story (though I'm happy she's not a widow, at least not yet), but maybe it's just her companions' fault.
Glenn... Wait a second. I had to rewatch "Too far gone" to make sure I wasn't senile. He was nowhere near the prison. He was on the bus, and he would'nt have had enough time to get where we found him, or any purpose, since Maggie left to find Beth, who was in the prison yard.
Plus, he couldn't walk on his own, let alone getting through a wall of zombies.
I guess that the writers thought that a month+ should be enough for viewers to forget "small" details. Inconsistencies aside, his story was pretty good.
Flag
That's right, another instance of slopping writting. Personally I felt the show went off the rails at the beginning of season 3, although I liked the stories about the Governer. I would have liked to see that take longer. Now we are back to mindless wandering and one attack after another by zombies.....yada yada yada......
Flag
I should have known that last week's episode was a one off and that this show hadn't taken a step in the right direction. It's still the "zombies for dummies" it's always been.

Beth & Daryl

The writers confirming their path to Beth's development with her "I kinda forgot about you" diary voice over. That whole sequence was as out of place as the short lasted ending music montages. What's worse, is it hit the reset button on Beth. Gone was the somewhat cold, completely realistic Beth from the prison who shrugged off death like it wasn't nothin'. In her place, waste of time Beth from the farmhouse. If I were Daryl, I'd be a dick too...but mostly because I'd be pissed at the writers for being so freakin' lazy AGAIN! Plus, if this twit can be surprised by a zombie making all sorts of noise beside her...then she deserves whatever she gets.

Tyreese, Lizzie, and Myka

So, the ol' back to the camera to hide what's in front of you for the big reveal trick, eh? Meh. When Lizzie is the most interesting part of your story...that's a problem. Hopefully they actually follow through since I recall Carl looking like a little sociopath not too long ago. Perhaps this is all a part of puberty during the zombie apocalypse.

And Carol's back, though I'm not sure how or why. After being exiled, she went back to the prison? But I guess she took the scenic route since Rick beat her back and she only caught the very end of the attack...but enough to see and follow the one person she should probably distance herself from. {sigh}

Maggie, Sasha and Bob

If the back to the camera trick worked once, might as well try it again 15 minutes later. Like most things TWD, anything worth doing is worth over doing. Do the writers think us complete morons that after Maggie got through all the zombies on the clown car...err...bus, that it was Glenn she killed before breaking down? They showed a touch of restraint in that the reveal was shown only through Maggie's face, but c'mon...the whole concept was weak. No points for good execution of a terrible plan.

Additionally, somebody tell me how ALL of those people were made zombies AND still on the bus? Oh, sorry, we're idiots and not supposed to ask questions like that.

Glenn & Tara

So, when last we saw Glenn, he was inches removed from death and on the bus pulling away from the prison. Now, he's on a broken overpass of the 2nd floor of the prison?!?!? "Hey Walking Dead writers. You know our eyes aren't painted on, right? We actually saw how you ended the first half of the season!".

But this is their move. Continuity and suspension of disbelief during their "while we were away" times...ugh! Want to spend 6 months traveling around Georgian back roads to eventually find a prison that was no more than a mile or two away from where you started in the first place? Fine. Want to do a complete personality 180 on Rick, Carol and Beth seemingly out of nowhere? Sure. So, we might as well top it off with a writers meeting, "You know, leaving Glenn on the bus was a bad idea. Let's have him say, despite his condition, that he got off and fought his way to basically the furthest point from where he started, cause it'll make for a cool shot when we open on him waking up. Besides, the viewers are idiots...they won't care."

"How are people still getting snuck up on by zombies?"
"Why did Tara say she saw her sister and her nephew? Did she mean niece?"
"Glenn threw the molotov at the car to distract zombies. Are zombies more attracted to fire than they to human flesh?"

Don't ask stupid questions. Like the walkers in this show, you should have zero brain function and just watch to enjoy the carnage. Story, rules, continuity and plausibility have no place here.
More+
Flag
I think you should cut Beth some slack. I mean, she just saw her father beheaded in front of her eyes after having lost almost all of her family. Then she had to run, without knowing if her sister made it to safety or not. I think a bit of anguished crying/grief is in order.
Flag
I don't blame Beth, I blame the writers 'cause they seemingly have absolutely no idea what to do with the character. At the flick of an off season switch, she went from meek and mousey to a cold realist. Now, she's back to the Beth that first got introduced.

I appreciate that seeing your father decapitated and not knowing where your sister is would cause a great deal of grief and anguish...but I didn't get any of that.

If she wants to stay positive because she has to believe that Maggie's still alive...no problem. Being so clueless as to not notice the zombie coming out of the woods...no excuse for that.

But, that's the writers and director being lazy and trying to create a tense moment out of a scene where tension isn't necessary...like when they would routinely have zombies (or a heard) miraculously show up without being noticed by which ever character is about to run head long into them.
Flag
She doesn't say nephew, she says "my sister in that field".
Flag
no she said, her sister and her nephew in that field.
Flag
Listen to it carefully again, you'll hear.
Flag
"All I saw was my sister in that field" is correct.
Flag
I only heard sister too
Flag
Is dressing like a sexy army girl a good choice for apocalypse fashion? of course it is...there are always girls dressed sexy in comics & tv shows. just accept it. :)
Flag
i usually feel this way about every episode. after talking dead, when the re-airing occurs i'm like
I wish I could go back to before I watched this ep because I want to experience it all over again!
Flag
I loved the episode and I like the turn the show took. I still hate that psycho little girl killing everything she can. But everything else y going well. What an entrance for Carol !
Flag
Only one thing to say: poor bunnies!
(At least if they had eaten them...)
Flag
Endgame is coming pretty soon ...
Flag
It seems like Tim is getting sick of the show lately, which I get but I think he's being harder on the show than usual. This season has had all kinds of issues but it's clear that the writers are putting a lot of effort into developing the characters this year, something we haven't really seen before. Now the last two episodes have had their issues, Tim picked up on them, but the attention to character has still been there and I've appreciated that. And while there wasn't much interconnectedness in this episode, that's not something that should always be expected, for example how many Game of Thrones episodes manage to have a common theme? It's enough that each story is pretty compelling and developing the characters is overdue. I've enjoyed the last episodes because they've brought back some narrative drive, something we've not seen since Andrea and Michonne stumbled into Woodbury. The show's in transition and its building towards the next arc from the comics, it's an exciting time to be watching and I hope that it continues to improve and fix its issues.
Flag
I could write 10 pages how bad this show had slide but im gonna refrain myself and just stick to 1 line.

Time to nut up or shut up!
Flag
Everyone's entitle to their opinion so its fine child7. Maybe Mysterv doesnt have anything constructive to say or rebuff.
Flag
Turn it off if you don't like the show.
Flag
I hate when people say that. It's like, if I don't agree with your opinion, why don't you shut up!!!! Not good for conversation.
Flag
3 people found Glenn and Tara. Are they friends or enemies?
Flag
definitely friends
Flag
I thought Tara said the word "nephew" too, but upon further review she said something like "sister in the field" which she somehow made to sound like the word "nephew."
Flag
They better merge some of those story lines or kill some off, it's too much. and regarding zombie behavior... yeah they love fire cause they want to have a BBQ instead of chewy raw meat, their teeth aren't that good anymore you know... speaking of which apparently their brains are located INSIDE their teeth and arms! It is true! Remember Michonne? Cut off arms and jaw et voila brainless zombie that will follow you obediently everywhere and repel other zombies who still have teeth and arms, i mean brains....

Really? OK maybe we shouldn't ask any questions and leave our brains at the door, eh?

Flag
I take some issue with saying "There wasn't any real direction" I watched the ep & I noticed how deliberate every scene was. The time jumps were obvious & the interconnection specifically between the Bethyl & Tylizzica threads became extremely obvious. looking back, I really loved how Beth & Daryl were actually tracking Tyreese & Co. & I really loved the twistedness of showing the skinned rabbits in the log on screen during the Bethyl segment, then later illustrating that Lizzie was the one that skinned dem bunnies. (at first, I thought it was a cluster of white toadstools growing out of the log, but the moment I saw the bunnies sitting in the log later under Lizzie, I did the instamath & went 'OH SHIT! DAT'S A TWISTED BITCH')
good times...good times.

I know these eps seem slow at a glance, but it's crystal clear that the each of the aftermath stories intertwine before coming back together in a knot & I notice that alot of complaints come from people that don't really pay attention to details.

I happen to love this ep & I look forward to seeing how Michrical will specifically find their way to the tracks
More+
Flag
I liked the intertwining too! And what about the small shoe next to the tracks? I thought it was Myka's but nope.
Flag
Once again, I am back to read a review of the show I gave up on half-way through S3, to see if something changed for the better and it's now worth going back to... and, once again, I see the answer is still "no." Oh, well, never mind me, just passing through.
Flag
Good luck if you rely on Tim for your guidance.
Flag
I agree with Tim far often than not. On TWD, our views are pretty much identical. Or, at least, they were before I stopped watching.
Flag
The group at the end is pretty important in the comic. Because there's no Daryl in the comic, Rick's right hand man was Tyreese, who appeared very early in the story since they also killed Shane almost as soon as they finished introducing him (he only lasted 9 issues). So the soldier was one of the earliest badasses in the group, next to Rick and Tyreese.
Also, if they keep the story close to the comic, some people are gonna scream bullshit at the end of the first story arc involving the 3 new survivors.
Flag
From this:

... to this:

An that's how you do an intro.
Flag
Those characters look like they have just stpped out of the comics!
Flag
The guy on the left looks like Bill Hicks.
Flag
excellent, i recognized that scene immediately, good stuff.
Flag
The girl is cuter than her comic counterpart and dang...Rick needs to find the shaving stuff these guys have.
Flag
I agree with the seeming lack of direction. I've thought seriously about giving up on the show a few times, but then things always get back on track. But if they don't at least try to find a way to eradicate the zombies en mass and cure the living to provide SOME sense of hope this will likely be my last season.
Flag
There is never going to be any real "hope" in this universe & that's been made pretty clear for a long time now. Been nice having ya around, but the horse has been dead for years now. Best not to keep beating it lest it comes back to bite ya & turn you into one of "them" ;P
Flag
Maybe that's why I've been craving burritoes from a London Taco Bell...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/01/horse-meat-taco-bell-ground-beef_n_2790158.html

Flag
'Loose-screw' Lizzie gave me the creeps. What is wrong with you, girl?! On the flip side, I shipped Carl and Lizzie now 'Carly'

"...Michael Cudlitz, some other guy, and a girl dressed like a sexy army brat..." ? Sorry Tim but that was Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita
Flag
I frequent this site and read a lot of Tim's stuff. I don't always agree with him, in fact I often don't. But there's no need to bash him. He's writing about the episode with his own style and opinions and is probably just getting a kick out of all the backlash.
Flag
Writers expect to be bashed. In fact they love it. A response, any response, is better than no response. Don't feel sorry for Tim.
Flag
Yeah. Leave Tim alone. He may not be right, but he is entertaining, and that's his job. Same can be said for those who bash the show... if you don't like it, then stop watching! If you don't like his reviews, stop reading 'em!
Flag
While Tim may indeed be a little critical of the show at times, that's his job. To an extent, though, DanRubino, I agree it's a bit silly to question specifics of zombie behaviour in some cases when you are talking about a zombie apocalypse in general. It's somewhat like questioning physics in a cartoon without thinking about the fact it's all made up.

Still, Tim has, and always has, a lot of good points. For example, the episode seemed like a collection of short stories. When I saw the intro, which I didn't think was as bad as Tim thought it was, I said to myself, "Oh, god... the rest of season four is going to be single-arc spin-offs of the survivors (with no real furthering of the story)". So, in that sense, I was glad they got most of that out of the way by showing pretty much everyone's story (save that of the newly reunited Rick/Michonne/Carl which we saw last week) and hope that next week we'll see a little more progression. And of course I love the "They're not exactly masters of stealth" comment. Gave me a chuckle, and it's one of the things that disappoints me at times about the show. You now have people that have survived the apocalypse for quite some time and then get ambushed so easily. Last week Carl was nearly killed several times over in what I would say are pretty textbook zombie sneak-up situations whereas he was all bad ass and careful at the beginning of the season. Michonne can hack apart a dozen zombies after walking with them for hours and not beat a sweat, Glen can push his way through a herd unscathed, but a bunch of survivors along the tracks can't beat but a few?
More+
Flag
Yo tim,

i think you gotta ease up on all the hate. This show isn't based on acclaimed books like Game of Thrones, it's based on comic books so I think we need to stop being so judgemental that every scene needs to have the best writing and filled with plot points. I think we get a lil spoiled because of how amazing breaking bad and game of thrones is and as zombie movie fans, we want walking dead to be that, but it will never be that. It's an hour of contained drama, a sense of unpredictably of character deaths, and finding more and and more entertaining ways of killing zombies. And I'm okay with that.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members