A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S04E13: "Alone"

This season, am I right guys? It's like "Yo! This episode was good!" And then, "Ick! This episode was bad!" And then nothing happened, and then something happened, and blah blah blah! One person might look at last week's episode and declare it a triumph of the human spirit and then someone else might look at it and call it a flaming turd. 

What I'm trying to say is, this half-season has been all over the place! And as a result, fans are restless—even the superfans who love the show unconditionally. Unfortunately, I don't think "Alone" calmed anyone down. 

But I think the episode finally made it clear what Season 4B is trying to accomplish. It's an eight-episode bridge to next season, basically, which means there's going to be a lot of walking and not much else as all the survivors slowly make their way to Terminus. At the end of Season 4A, The Walking Dead's producers made a big deal about the survivors getting split up, and they must've also decided that breaking up the main group would be the best way to address one of the show's biggest problems: a lack of character development. So now we're tagging along on The Walking Dead's idea of a road trip, with plenty of scenery to see, plenty of people to get to know, but only one destination. And I know that must piss off those of you who would rather see plot point plot point kill plot point kill kill plot point kill death. And you're not crazy for thinking that way.

But I appreciate what The Walking Dead is going for, even if its effort has been uneven. "Alone" wasn't as compelling of a character examination as "Still," but it wasn't a dry check-in like "Inmates," either. Instead, "Alone" came close to being a good episode but ended up much like Daryl, occupying the middle of the road. 

This was Bob and Sasha's turn to introduce themselves to us, and they did so with an assist from some inexplicable character decisions. To kick things off, a difference of opinion left the Maggie-Bob-Sasha group divided: Sasha wanted to stay put in the woods and not go anywhere, yet she also wanted to find a town so she could stay put somewhere? But Maggie and Bob were more interested in Terminus, because they aren't dumb. I'm not quite sure why Maggie decided to go off on her own and leave a Dear John note in the mud, especially since she had Bob on her side. And I'm not quite sure why Sasha and Bob would split up just because they found a building that Sasha saw as a perfect spot to hunker down in. And I'm not quite not sure why Maggie was lying on the ground in the town or why she changed her mind and decided she wanted to regroup. 

In fact, it seemed like both Maggie and Sasha eventually changed their minds entirely, and without a satisfactory reason. Girl, if you wanted to get back with Sasha and Bob then why did you leave in the first place? Other girl, you knew you would break down and cry without Bob, so why didn't you go with him? These are some confused people making rash decisions when their lives might depend on it. 

In the end, Bob won the battle of wills and got the two ladies to come running after him, so good on you Bob. And if this story gave us anything worthwhile, it was the pair of scenes in which we saw Bob walking alone—first in his flashback at the start the episode, and later when the ladies caught up with him so they could all reunite. But since Bob had been staunchly against splitting up and being alone, why did he willingly leave Sasha to be on his own for a while? I don't know what gives. Unlike last week's lesson about shedding your past to move forward, this week's lesson of it's better to be together than it is to be alone didn't feel earned; it was more "do as we say, not as we do." Were you convinced by their little chit chats? I wasn't. 

The other half of the episode belonged to Beth and Daryl (again!?) and provided the plot, sort of. I mean, they rummaged through a building without much incident, which is what they do now. However, I liked the way their story built on the developments of "Still" and transformed their relationship into something more along the lines of two siblings, as opposed to a rebel dude saddled with an optimistic blonde teen. (Or more than siblings for you slashfic writers who swooned when Beth held Daryl's hand or Daryl carried Beth into the kitchen like they were newlyweds. But please don't 'ship this pair because it's inappropriate, okay? Thanks in advance!) Daryl asking Beth to continue singing and playing piano was genuinely sweet, and Daryl half-admitting that there are good people left in this world because of Beth's perspective told us so much about how what an effect Beth has had on him. 

That would help fuel Daryl's reaction to what happened next. A whole bunch of walkers poured into their shelter, and in the chaos, Beth was left alone and kidnapped by a mysterious car! Or more likely, the people inside the car. And Daryl ran and he ran and he stopped to take some deep breaths and then he ran some more after that car, and it was pretty heartbreaking to watch. I have zero theories about who took Beth, but I can only guess that it was a pimp and the next time we see Beth she'll look like Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver. It's pretty rotten of The Walking Dead to let us get to know Beth so well and then immediately take her away from us, but we probably should've expected as much. It's also lame that she was built up to appear much stronger than we thought and then ended up being the damsel in distress. Oh well. Crushed from losing his little sister, Daryl came to a crossroads and sat right in the middle of it, and then the gang of idiots that forced Rick out of the house either took him prisoner or welcomed him into their redneck group. Daryl's looking at some bad times up ahead, because those dolts are awful. There are your plot points, kids. 

This is what we're stuck with for the rest of this half-season, everybody. A few stories, some quality time with characters, and one destination that can't get here soon enough. I really do like what The Walking Dead is trying to do, though. Sometimes the character development will work, sometimes it won't. But if you're waiting for something big to happen, you might want to take a nap until next October, because Season 4B is all about about making these characters more than names and faces. 

NOTES

– Bob's flashback wasn't all that illuminating, was it?

– I couldn't identify the song that bookended the episode, but I did get the one that Beth was singing and playing on the piano. It's Waxahathee's "Be Good." Which totally sounds like something Beth would listen to in her bedroom.

– The broken compass sure could serve as a metaphor for this season's lack of direction.

– Was that showrunner Scott Gimple in the coffin in the funeral home? I think it was!

– Come on, Daryl isn't stupid enough to carelessly open the door just because he thinks it's the dog outside.

– Daryl: "Peanut butter and jelly, diet soda, and pigs feet. That's a white trash brunch right there."

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

258 Comments
Comments (258)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It would be awesome if those to get together. They match perfectly. I don't get why you would label this inappropriate.
Most likely Beth is with father Gabriel, can't wait to see what happens next!!!
Flag

Btw, just because you wanted to see Daryl with Carol, doesnt mean hes too old for Beth! :)
Flag
Dont know if someone has already mentioned it, but the song at the end (and beginning) is Blackbird song by Lee DeWyze. Great song.
Flag
Ok why is inappropriate to ship Daryl and Beth??Shes 18 and his 30 something,cant see anything wrong with that!!I think they have great chemistry and i really hope Beth is alive so we get to see more of them next season,they have to get together!!!
Flag
Maggie decided to go off on her own because she overheard Sasha's remarks and was upset by having to deal with the idea that Glen is dead and guilty about asking Bob and Sasha to risk their lives. However let's not forgot that Maggie has never really been on her own before, she had the farmhouse then travelled WITH the group to the prison so was probably unprepared for the realty of actually being alone do I understand why she changed her mind. I admit. The whole 'waiting for Sasha in town' was a bit of a stretch. Similarly I can understand why Bob left Sasha. A) I think he secretly thought she would cave in and catch up and b) he wasn't just going ahead to catch up with Maggie there was also the hope of finding another group if not surviving members of the prison group. Bob knows that they need to stick together to survive.

I LOVE how this show has split up the group and allowed for character development - especially how we get to see the 'strong' characters break down (Michonne, Rick, Daryl, Sasha) and the weaker characters shine through (Beth and Bob) before I was actively hoping that Beth and Bob would be zombie bait but now I'm getting quite fond of them.
There is a difference between the strength that comes from not GIVING in to your fears and the strength that comes from not FACING them, and I think the strength that Daryl and Sasha have shown since the prison fell comes from the later. I am so excited for when the group finally gets back together as I think they will be an even stronger unit because of their separation. However this also worries me as the next big bad/hurdle they face together will also have to be tougher than what they've faced before to keep things interesting. We are long past the stage where we can rely solely on the zombies for all the scares/danger/thrills, the truly horrible stuff will have to come from man's inhumanity to other men.
More+
Flag
I also like the way the show is allowing the characters to develop. In the case of Beth, it shows how strong and intelligent of a character she is now. Maggie is doing kind of well without a large group. Glenn however is not doing quite as well. I mean, he just got over being very sick but he isn't showing good survival skills lately by punching bigger guys than him.
Flag

I like these episodes better than the episodes in the prison, growing food and feeding pigs. It makes a nice break to have them separated and looking for each other. If not for these episodes Bob would probably still be on my sh*t list.

Sasha needs to get a grip and have some faith. The worst decision was made by her. Who wants to live in an empty building by themselves, is that life?

Maggie's decision was a close second. Why go off alone? Of course you can ask them to risk their lives, three is better than one.
Flag
But please don't 'ship this pair because it's inappropriate, okay? Thanks in advance!)
Absolutely agree. Can you see my YUK face :-(

Plus Darly and Carol 4EVER
Flag
I did like how they gave a nod to the choice in "The Walking Dead Game, Season 1" of taking the supplies from the car or not.

Daryl showing a moral crack in the survivalist by deciding to take "some" of the food in the cache, but not all of it.
Flag
I really thought that Beth and Daryl would hook up for a moment, but it didn't...a bit dissapointing..but love how they are slowly connecting..nicely done guys...
Loved how Maggie has become so agressive..what love and hope doesn't do to a person. She kills zombies to leave a message for Glen...loved how they ended with that, as the message was shown a few times..
Then for a moment i was worried, when they separated, but liked how they all got back together in the end..
Beside that it was a good episode...it is clear that everybody is going to the same place...so i guess next week we see Michonne, Rick and his kid and the other ones..Tyresse with the kids...NICE!!
Flag
If for one second you think Beth is seen as a little sis to Daryl, you are missing the whole point of that relationship, and that is sad, cause it's written so beautifully. -- amazing job to writers and actors.
Flag
I vote for the road sign ax as coolest zombie killing weapon

Flag
Bad decisions all around in this episode. Especially Daryl opening the door without looking, really??
Flag
Also, when rewatching that scene, notice in the gaps in the boards on the door, you can clearly see a person on the other side. I saw this immediately on the first time through, and as he reaches for the door, you can make out multiple people outside the door. How Daryl wasn't supposed to see that through the gap shocked me.

I had doubts about whether it was zombies or the owners of the house, but I could clearly tell people were outside the door before he opened it.
Flag
take a min and rewatch, the point of that was he started let down his guard, to really have hope, he asked Beth to stay in the house, move there permanently... he started to have hope, he had been smiling for the first time, well ever. That scene just reinforces that they are constantly at war and that they can't ever get a break, to jsut live and that is what made it so sad. Make sense?
Flag
makes sense, but you still never open the door without looking to see who it is, zombie apocalypse or not.
Flag
He heard the dog bark and assumed that, since the dog was there, the dog would be alone. (Am I the only one to get this? I even had to explain it to my husband, and he usually picks up on things like that faster than I do.)
Flag
Well, I actually liked this episode better than last week's, but it was still pretty meh. This season is the first one I'm not binge watching and it's barely keeping my attention. But I love zombies and Daryl so I'll keep coming back. Once everyone's together and excess boring ppl (like that chick with Glenn? Go away), things will get better. Until then......

Marry: Bob. Getting to know his state of mind was the best thing. Gentle. Sweet.
Shag: Daryl. 'nuff said. Mmmm
Kill: Sasha. She is THE absolute worst. Just get eaten already!
Flag
I don't mind the change of pace in this second half of the season. I'm enjoying the slow, steady character reveals. Some are stronger than others, sure. But I think it's going to strengthen the group as a whole when they do finally come together. It's creating a different kind of tension and I think it serves the show well.
Flag
Same as usual a episode with not a lot happening , bob and sasha are not that interesting and I was hoping bob would got infected in the fog. But no and we then proceeded to leave the group join the group. At least we got some interesting characters with Beth and Daryll and the promo for next episode does look better. If the writers do'nt start get rid of people I will stop watching .
Flag
This season started so good, but the second half have been a little boring and not much has happened. I kinda want things to evolve a little faster.

Flag
I like that Daryl met that new group. They seem interesting. Glad to get rid of Beth for a little while. Hopefully she gets eaten while she's gone. How stupid is she for driving off like a mad person and leaving him behind? She was safe enough int he car to wait a few minutes... Or at least seconds, dumb girl.

Bob bores me a little. So does Sasha, and Maggie too lately.

The last two episodes seem really filler material to me. I didn't think there was any deep or intriguing drama going on in them to justify how slow and boring they were. Not much new was learned. I also think with such few episodes left - how will they get time to introduce some new storyline, or a new threat, for the next season?
Flag
I don't think Beth "drove off". I think she was taken by someone or some persons. It's funny that you would think that Maggie and Sasha were boring right now, because I think being away from the prison has made them far more interesting. But, that's just me....

I don't necessarily see these episodes being "slow" as a negative. Every episode shouldn't be a balls to the walls, action-packed, blood-curdling extravaganza (though I wouldn't complain if it were..,lol) At some point our guys and girls need to recuperate and rejuvenate. I get the impression that whatever is happening in Terminus will more than compensate for these moments when the disjointed remnants of the prison crew are trying to catch their breath and get their bearings.

If you want more action, I'm sure it's coming....
Flag
I don't need action in every episode either, but I would like to see some content at least... I don't feel the drama in these last episodes were deep or interesting enough to justify how dragged out they felt. It's like they didn't do anything and I honestly feel that the whole series have been too much about how they feel and all that. I want more plot, not necessarily more action, but I'd like something to happen, some storyline other than just surviving.
Flag
I'm on the side of those enjoying this part of TWD. I like that we will have special time with every group of characters. It changes the dynamic from the prison a lot. It is defenitely scarier to be alone or in a small group, and brings different debates. Plus, there is the incentive of that terminus ahead (let's hope that part is not a total dissapointment).
Flag
Good moments in this episode but overall I'm a bit disappointed by this season. The only episode I really enjoyed so far was the mid-season finale. I think each group should have more screen time inside the same episode. The whole thing feels like filler to me. I like when it's quiet and about character development but it can't be all about that. And the group needs to get reunited faster. I'm not convinced. What I liked about the show was the dynamic inside the group. How they disagree when they need to make a tough decision, the fights to become leader, etc... this is lost in this half of the season. And the intro before the theme song used to be more ominous and make sense when it blends with the music. It doesn't feel the same anymore. And also the 3 questions they ask before welcoming a new member are just stupid they should just drop it. There I'm done. Hope they'll listen to our complaints and make a better fifth season.
Flag
1st time commeting about the show. gotta say that the show started dying after shane's death, but anyway... them reuniting aint that interesting, the show should focus on the doctor that knows how this thing started in the 1st place, but they goin to save that to the season finale or next season, if he doesnt die 1st of course. the only good thing about this episode was beth being kidnapped and daryl fighting the walkers and finding those. and one more thing: didnt walkers used to scratch? what they all went to manicure(make it more real, please)
Flag
Whatever you say, i am really enjoying this mid season!!!!
Flag
I, personally, prefer the pace of the 'road' as compared to the prison. The farm? The flu? Killing off extras we didn't care about? Now that felt like filler. The only semi-interesting part of 4A was the Governor and the characters his story introduced. 4B, however, is actually furthering what we know of the characters.
Why is that special or good?
Well, of course, we'll identify and love the characters more, but also, it will give us a brand new set-up for season 5. What would season 5 matter if it was just the same, unchanged characters in some other strange ZA city? Now, in addition to having a fresh setting, we'll have different character relationships and struggles within the group, so S5 will be (hopefully) entirely original and interesting.
Flag
I agree. New friendships and relationships are appearing with this situation. This will have an impact in whatever next season brings for sure.
Flag
At the beginning of the episode, Glen & Darryl are together when they come across Bob. The next time I see Darryl, he is with Beth. Why would they be the only two at the house together? Where is Glen or did I miss something ?? Not sure about anyone else, but this show is going down hill quickly for me.
Flag
The opening scene was a flash back to when Bob first joined the group, when Glen and Darryl where at the prison together.
Flag
ok thanks. I don't pay much attention sometimes.
Flag
I have to admit, I've really enjoyed these last few episodes. After S1 being anchored at the quarry (for the most part), S2 at the farm and S3 and S4A at the prison, it's kind of nice to have the characters truly "on the road", out and about, without a base of operations. It's a bit more how I imagine the zombie apocalypse to be, moving house to house, not staying in one place for too long.

Also having the group broken up has been good, it allows you to focus more on the secondary characters. It's amazing to think that someone like Sasha has been around since the start of S3 and has had very little to do in that time. I feel like I saw more of her in this episode than any other one before.

The other thing is this is clearly only a stepping stone to the Terminus, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts, knowing it's a temporary set up. I can see how a whole show of this nature would get on my nerves, but it's more of an eight episode "how we found each other" arc, which is fine.
Flag
the plot line was alright but the video was porley executed first clean house duhh humans... dog yeah like it can survive on its own so you should know humans are nearby (reminded me of a falling sky episode where they sended the dog out to see if there were any skitters) food in cabinet nicely stacked and left behind first tought it was poisend second time darrel whent for the door you could actualy see the people behind it so it was an abvious trap if i could figure it out why the hell darrel cant isnt he supossed to be the ultimate survivor all and all very porly executed

i think darrel's new group kidnapped beth and they are gonna try and test him by having him beat and rape her so sad :(
Flag
I think its obvious that they are setting up Daryl and Beth as a couple and I honestly do not see what is wrong with it. Yes, she is young but she is of age and in the world they live in its not like there are tons of choices around. I dont have any problem with it.
Flag
I am shocked that there are people who have not picked up on the subtext. Its not even that veiled anymore. She does know that Daryl has feelings for her. She picked up on it right before they were attacked. You can also tell by the actors interviews that it is happening, they just cant bluntly state it because it hasnt been shown yet on the show. They will meet again by the end of this season and I think then there will be no question about it. She is 18 and he is mid-30s and this is the zombie apocalypse. Its more strange to me that it hasnt happened yet.
Flag
I saw that, and I think it might be just a tease. Some people say that producers denied it, you never know. Also talk about a new character that will come later on together with Beth. This might be all a tease. Now I have to say also that it is weird that the zombie apocalypse destroyed the sexual instincts of almost everyone... But I don't want this to become a total soap neither, so I'll leave with the sex-less TWD :)
Flag
Oh no please, i don't wanna see Daryl n Beth as a couple, she's 17 and he must be at least 40 on the show. The show is not going to pair up their most popular character with a little girl. Child molester much? No thanks.
Flag
Actually, she's 18 at this point, and Daryl is in his mid-thirties or so. Some of the cast members have been talking about it and haven't turned down the idea. Lauren Cohan even said that, as a viewer, she loved watching their relationship develop, and she said that in the show as Beth's sister, Maggie would definitely approve of it. (It was in her interview on Talking Dead...) Norman and Emily have said that Beth isn't a child anymore, she's a woman... Just the past two episodes of Talking Dead could say a lot.
Plus, parts of the fandom (including me) are going nuts because on the official AMC website in the episode details, it said that 'Beth realized Daryl had feelings for her.' Loads of people and spoiler sites saw it, and it was taken down either Monday night or Tuesday morning because apparently, that's not information they wanted people to know yet. I saw it, though, and could hardly speak for a few minutes. A major whoopsie on their part, right?
Really, the only inhibiting fact here is that nobody knows how Beth will react if/when she and Daryl see each other again. She moved on quickly when she lost her past two beaus, and will most likely be hesitant to feel really attached to somebody again.
I could go on. Daryl always makes excuses to touch Beth, pick her up, brush her arm, etc. His entire outlook on people is changed b/c of her. The way he looks at her is just adorable. But really, you could ask some hardcore Bethylers and have the whole situation put down.
The signs are there. You just gotta know how to read 'em.
(Okay, yes, I quotes the show, sue me.)
More +
Flag
And AMC went out ot their way to have that line remove simply because it's just not true, there was absolutely nothing in that episode that said Daryl had romantic feelings for Beth other than a friendship's one and Emily even said it on TTD . As i said, Scott Gimple said on TTD when the question was asked and the episodes already been filmed that they're not even going to''contemplating the idea'' of a Baryl relationship. It's not going to happen. She's set to be paired up with Garreth, young and attractive.
Flag
I'm just wondering, where'd you read Gareth and Beth would have a relationship? Or are you just assuming? 'Cause maybe I've just missed something, but I haven't read anything about him other than 'he has a key role at the end of season 4,' 'he might be a series regular in season 5,' and 'he's a mix of unknown characters from the comics.'
Flag
Forgot to add that Scott Gimple said they're not even entertain the idea of Baryl, thank God.
Flag
It's funny that you say that. While I don't particularly want that to happen, it is very clear and certain that they wanted to, at the very least, tease us with this thought. It is sooo very clear. It is also clear that they wanted Beth to become an adult, and this teasing could prove very effective for that. If now she shows up with an adult boyfriend (younger than Daryl if you want), we won't jump over his throat anymore :)
Flag
exactly my point - they might not have had intentions to make it happen, but they defenitely wanted us to entertain the idea.
Flag
They teased us with Carol n Daryl also and nothing never happened between them.
Flag
If Beth comes back to the story (which I hope it will happen), she will be a lot older and that age difference will be diluted. It would be funny, though, that they went from older Carol to younger Beth as an interest for Daryl.
Flag
I am completely on board with character-driven episodes. In the long run, it will be a better part of the whole. Also, remember, this show is not about the zombies,but about people caught in a desperate situation.
Flag
I agree with Daryl opening the door - ridiculous. I think Bob never thought he'd actually be alone. He had faith that Sasha would be fast behind him; he was right. I though the entire arc was obvious as soon as you see the Terminus map the first time. I always put my thoughts in a podcast, starting at about the 20 minute mark:
http://www.looktothecookie.org/2014/03/sunday-night-tv.html
Flag
Darryl was almost involved with Carol... The oldest of the ladies there. Now, he almost had sex with the youngest legal girl in the series... But she was taken by a kidnapper car! He has the most hairy hand in the ZA by frustration only. He is the almost had sex with the oldest and the younger, but ended with no one!
Flag
I've enjoyed these more character-driven episodes. Though they haven't all been equally as enjoyable this half of the season has held its own in my opinion. I could easily say I miss the rough and tumble nature of the previous seasons where it's a zombie slasher. But, when the show went in to goal zombie-killing no real story direction I yearned for plot and character development. I think the mixture of both is hard to do and even harder to do well so I give the show, the writers, and especially Scott Gimple a lot of credit for trying and putting up a fairly decent effort. I'm satisfied. I know a lot aren't, I even know of some pretty die-hard fans of the show that have stopped watching because of the second half of this season (which I don't get, but to each his -or her- own). I'm interested to see what's going to happen in the two episodes leading up to the finale .. because I'm betting that they won't all meet up at Terminus until the finale.
Flag
I liked the first 8 episodes because they gave that false sense of security that leads to an impending disaster.

I like the 4 episodes so far because they leave this sense of disaster that could only lead to a false sense of security, like Daryl at the house.
Flag
The first 8 episodes of season 4 were overwhelmingly depressing.I have enjoyed the last 5 episodes and though the in the next 3 episodes not much is likely to happen it seems like season 5 could be set up nicely.I hope they don't kill off a couple of main characters just to make something happen.I think this show would be much better if Herschel were still on it,hell I still miss Dale so I hope whoever is left now at least make into season 5.I don't see how wiping out the cast make it anymore realistic after all it is a show about a zombie apocalypse and that should throw most worries about realism out the window.
Flag
Don't ya'll worry about Beth, she's fine. Andrew J West (Gareth) has her, he's the new character who's gonna have an important role on the show through out S5 but he's set to appear this season in episode 16 and we'll probably see Beth. I predict he's going to be a love interest for her, the classic case of the kidnapped falling for the kidnapper. He's young very handsome more suited for Beth than Daryl who looks like he could be her dad. Google him.
Flag
oh, I'm glad to hear this is not going on the rape road...
Flag
I'm not worried about her because there's strenght in numbers, Rick has said so from day 1.

As long as she's with someone, anyone she'll be safe. Same goes for Daryl.
Flag
As far as the momentum of the story:
I get it.
This is the damn zombie apocalypse. Things aren't going to go smoothly. People aren't always going to be together. Stuff happens. They get separated. ....maybe for a long time....or forever.
I think this last half of the season adds to the reality of the story; that it isn't all just killing zombies. I think it also shows the rule of life, that everything is in balance. For all the good, there has to be equal bad. If you are living in the "plush" life of the jail or Woodbury....eventually you will have to pay your dues and the sh-- will hit the fan...and you have an equal low point. They got too complacent in the jail, more or less, and now they have to suffer out in the chaos again.
BUT....we know that they are going to eventually meet up, probably, at Terminus, because everyone is heading there, so far...
Flag
Is it possible that the part of this episode with Daryl and Beth was before Joe's group "claimed" the house that Rick was hiding in? Therefore Daryl was in the house at the time when Rick was hiding under the bed?
Flag
Probably, its the same thing that happened when Carol found Tyreese & the girls: we were led to believe Daryl found the footprings before she got there.

...only to figure out the man that told Carol to take the girls to Terminus was the same zombie that tried to bite Beth the scene before.
Flag
I don't think so but it would make for an interesting story line. But those writers aren't subtle enough to come up with a plot like that.
Flag
It makes sense to show what would actually happen in this scenario but they need to move the story quicker and join up the groups.
Flag
I liked the episode. It served as a harsh reminder of the world they are still in.
Bob's flashback may seem pointless, but I think it served to show that he was willing to be in ANY group...than be alone. If that meant going with two guys (Glenn and Darryl) whom he didn't know just to be around people, he was wiling to chance his life. This served to show how he was willing to track down Maggie and be with the group and the supposed people at Terminus....than be alone.

The show was all about not being alone. Darryl was the best example of this. He JUST finally connected with someone....at a deep level. Beth JUST became his world....his everything. JUST when he stopped being cynical and thinking that the world was all bad,....he lost his world, Beth.
He gave up...sitting in the middle of a crossroads. Those guys could have walked by him and he wouldn't have flinched, until they touched him.

He was prepared to drop the hammer on "Joe"...until Joe showed that Darryl might be able to join them. So....Darryl fell back into the same type of people he probably hung out with before the apocalypse.

Between the last episode to last night's....Darryl went almost a full circle. He went from always being around the low lifes....to being with a group...to willing to be alone....to wanting to be with just Beth...to being alone....to being back with the low lifes.
Daryl opening the door haphazardly and letting the walkers in was him slipping into happiness and bliss....being with Beth and playing house. Daryl is unfortunately destined to have a f'ed up life.

More+
Flag
Just fucking kill everyone already! Im sick of this show.
Flag
You should do the same for watching a fucking show you hate instead of doing something else with your precious time. Nobody is forcing you to watch it, so move on!
Flag
I don't watch it. Im sick of hearing of it and seeing WD reviews on TV.com. Also freedom of speech, dude. So GFY.
Flag
Really! I have to wonder about the haters. Do they really have nothing better to do than watch shows they don't like and then post to forums dedicated to the shows they don't like? Weird!
Flag
I thought this episode was great, I'm genuinely excited for next weeks episode. I don't like how Daryl has joined up with the Sons of Anarchy though, that's not good for him, he might turn back into the way he was before.
Flag
I think Daryl just joined them to avoid being killed. He can easily pretend to fit in with them for as long as he has to, but I think he will eventually break away or kill them all. Most likely he and this group will meet up with some of the others--maybe not until next season--but since the bikers were in the house with Rick a couple of weeks ago, they are bound to meet up with Rick again eventually--remember the guy with the bandana saw Rick under the bed before he passed out.
Flag
I bet tattoo parlours around the globe are sharpening their needles for people coming in saying they want, "Why hurt yourself when you can hurt other people".
Flag
It said something about the show when the Talking Dead this week was more interesting than The Walking Dead episode itself. You guys should really watch it. It has my favorite Laura Cohen and the other hot girl. Most of their answers to the interview questions were intelligent and cute !
Flag
Very straight forward review and I agree with most everything, particularly with the theory that this is merely the bridge to the next season as well as the idea that we should have seen Beth's predicament coming given the last episode!

HOWEVER, there's something coming. There's something waiting to rear it's ugly head. Whereas we knew it was coming with the last attack on the prison, we don't know its coming this time... and that's precisely why it will hit. This finale... something's coming. Although Hershall's death was horrifying, it still gave us the satisfying dose of carnage we were expecting in typical fashion. But this time, I feel something much more sinister and unexpected of the show, given the recent up and downs. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. The finale will tell and it will be a short moment, not a huge plot focus with significant build-up.
Flag
As with most of the television shows that I really love, Walking Dead gets a pass from me when an episode is not an obvious home run or grand slam, but more of a base hit. IMO, "Alone" was a base hit. Unlike some, I enjoy these back stories, Bob wouldn't have been my choice to focus on (I'd rather it had been Sasha), but it was still interesting.

Besides, whatever "weaknesses" that may have been evident in the Maggie/Sasha/Bob arc, was more than satisfied with Darryl in the mortuary. He, Michonne, and Carol are easily my favorite characters, so any screen time for either of them is a win for me! Although I must confess that Maggie and Sasha have really grown on me since leaving the prison.

I watched "Talking Dead" afterwards, and the actors that portray Maggie and Sasha were engaging and entertaining. It put their characters in a whole new perspective for me.

But, having said all that, I can't wait until some of our wayward drifters meet up with one another again!
Flag
I just thought the "Bob Flashback" was a waste of time. In one of the earlier episodes someone mentions how Daryl "just found Bob alone on the road and brought him in". EXACTLY what they wasted five minutes showing us last nite. He has grown on me though, which is always bad cause that means he is gonna die soon.
Flag
You see people this is why your mother said to never eat out of the jar. It makes you do stupid things like open a door when you can clearly see that zombies are behind it.

There was no way Daryl craps the bed like that enough to open a door without checking to see what is behind it. You could see the shadows for crying out loud. I get making characters dumb conveniently in order to further you plot. Writing is hard. But for crying out loud that was the dumbest thing I have seen this show produce I think maybe ever. You reduced your best character into a moron to further your plot. For what? because you couldn't think of a better way to separate Daryl and Beth? What the hell is wrong you writers.

The rest of the episode wasn't enough to recover from that glaring bit of stupidity. I like Maggie, I didn't mind her story. But it wasn't enough.

I care less about Bob that I do Rick. I don't need to know Bob's backstory, or non back story as it were, because that was perhaps the dumbest flashback that we have seen yet. What is next? Lizzie decapitating dolls in her spare time.

This was probably one of the worst episode for me.
More+
Flag
Opening the door like that was fucking stupid, but the fact that Daryl opened it made it the stupidest thing ever to come out of this show. If it was someone like Andrea or Beth it wouldn't be that big of a deal, (especially Andrea since she was the Queen of stupid), but Daryl, come on.
Flag
Oh come on Sam. You know Andrea would have just left the door wide open.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode, while I was more "meh" about last week's (mostly because of Beth's inane decision to "booze up" is what fueled it). It seems like every time I enjoy a TWD episode I come here and read the exact opposite.

Oh well, as long as I'm having fun :)
Flag
I dont know what all the negative whining is all about, I think this was another solid and fantastic episode.
Flag
Thank you,i think it was better than last weeks eps.......nonetheless i think this is one of the interesting shows on tv right now.....over CSI and SVU and their spin offs. At least they have a BUDGET now too lol xD
Flag
I am a big fan of TWD but there were at least 10 other episodes airing in the same week better than it . The Americans, Banshee, Arrow, Black Sails,Scandal,Elementary, Bates Motel,True Detective,Shameless and Justified were all better. Justified had a pretty bad week too.

An TWD episode have never dropped out of my top 10 list since it started but last week it did. This week just started so we will see how it goes but I got the feeling it will be out of the top 10 again.
Flag
I thought the episode was pretty good. We got to see some development for Bob, Maggie and Sasha, and we also got some follow up with Daryl and Beth. I don't think Maggie or Sasha were acting out of character - Maggie wanted to go to Teremnius in hopes that Glenn might be there and she left them because she didn't want to drag Bob and Sasha along in case it ended up being a wasted trip (ie. nothing there), Bob who's backstory of being with two separate groups and ending up alone wanted to go to Tereminus because he has spent a lot of time alone, and being with the group at the prison gave him a sense of family/togetherness so he was in search of that again, he was optimistic that they would find everyone there, as for Sasha, she wanted to search for a new place to hunker down because she was afraid that if they did make it to Terminus Tyreese might be dead, and that was something she was not ready to face. Both Maggie and Sasha changed their minds because in the end they realized needed each other.

As for Daryl and Beth, you can clearly see the bond that is developing between these two (Daryl telling her to sing, him carrying her piggyback when she hurt her foot) though I see it more as brother/sister not boyfriend/girlfriend. It was a little weird that Daryl would open up the door when it was pretty clear (at least to the viewer) that zombies were at the door, but I loved the way he was able to maneuver his way out of the situation. And Beth was definitely not a damsel in distress in the end, she was hurt and hobbling on one foot - how far do you think she can go, anyone trying to snatch her up had the perfect opportunity. The whole funeral home appears to be a trap to capture people. I have never read the comics so I am interested to see who snatched Beth, and now Daryl has run into the losers who forced Rick out of the house. Who knows what will happen.

I think this half of the season is doing nothing more than setting us up for next year, and I have know problem with that. It would have been pretty lame to have everyone just meet up with each other within one or two episodes. I do miss seeing Rick as he has always been the focus of the show but I don't mind getting a glimpse into what they others are up to. I also thought that at some point Daryl would run into Bob, Maggie, and Sasha because they are all clearly on the same path. We'll see where this all leads.
More+
Flag
This episode has one thing good. It has sort of confirmed that the last three episode will be like this so we can keep our expectations low. I just hope the finale will finally show everyone at Terminus but that might not even happen.

I have also heard great things from comic book fans about the three new characters being very interesting especially this Abraham guy who is played by a actor I like very much from Southland. However since we have only seen less than half an episode of them, will we even find out how great they are in this season?

Looks like Scott Gimple might be in trouble if ratings drop faster than the stocks for the last few episodes.

Though I will still watch but looks like viewers are dropping faster than zombies. Seriously now I do not think Season 4 finale or Season 5 premiere will have record ratings like last year.
Flag
If I wanted to read the comic books I would have and now Im bored and annoyed with too much bring borrowed but piecemeal from the comics. TV characters and plot should stand on its own great if show runners can give viewers insights without boring us to death! At this point just go right to season 5 before we desert too.
Flag
They had changed so much show runners even when the show became very successful. Now it had finally hit a bump, would it not be very funny and ironic if they stick with Scott Gimple when season five starts.
Flag
Oh, and I think it's good that TWD is finally taking some time to give us a good explanation of what happens on the road. It's rather silly to skip so much time spent on the road, as done before, and have nobody altered in any way. This reminds me of before they found the farm. It's a good nostalgia.
Flag
Wait, wait, wait... People don't like Beth? I ain't bashing, like who you like, but is there any good reason?
Curious here.
Other than a bit of overacting in Still (which was a fantastic episode--character development, jokes, cutesy moments), I don't see what's wrong with her. Yeah, okay, she's a bit here-and-there with her strength, but I think sometimes people forget that it's the goddamned zombie apocalypse and she has literally lost almost everyone. She still has hope that some might still be alive, but she knows for sure that her dad, the one anchor for everyone, is dead. So she cries sometimes. Pretty understandable. And her 'annoying' sense of hope (quoting from Tumblr, not from here)? How? Is? That? Annoying? Ever since Carol's daughter died, we needed another light. How is it annoying to have hope, to try and make people happy, when the world has fallen apart?
BTW, check a lot of social networking sites, and you'll notice lots of hate cropping up for Beth w/o substantial reasoning... the second she runs off with Daryl! Gasp! Now why would that have started...
Flag
Lol, the last sentence ... the nail's head has been hit :)
Flag
I personally like Beth. I think pairing Beth with Daryl gave us the opportunity to get to know these two characters that DON'T TALK better, and that's great. But she's special enough to get herself a good bunch of haters, I don't doubt it LOL
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members