A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S04E16: "A"

There's no telling how long The Walking Dead will last as a television show (the comic it's based on has been billed as an endless zombie story), but you can bet AMC wants it to be around for as long as possible, for better or for worse. So it makes sense that we'll get seasons like Season 4B, which amounted to an eight-episode jaunt to a commune full of candle aficionados as AMC milks the show's monster ratings for as long as it can. At times, Season 4B sparkled thanks to a few standout character episodes, and at other times, it dragged, but it had one clear goal in mind: Get everyone to Terminus. 

And it's too bad that it was so singularly focused, because the Season 4 finale had the chance to be something great; instead, "A" was an okay middle-of-the-season installment but a pretty crummy season-ender. I guess The Walking Dead's producers felt that getting everyone to Terminus was a compelling-enough story to fill eight episodes, but the problem with the arc—aside from it being rather unambitious and boring as a reward for viewers—is that getting everyone to Terminus was obviously going to happen, so we all moved onto the next question. Namely, "What the eff is Terminus!?!?" "A" provided a few answers, but was it a satisfying season finale? Ehhhhhh... not really. It would have been a kickass penultimate episode, however!

After The Walking Dead ignored Rick for most of the half-season to follow other characters, "A" was all about Mr. Grimes. The episode explored the man Rick wants to be and the man Rick can't help but be, which is nothing new for the character; did anyone really expect him to just chew on a piece of wheat and grow tomatoes all last season? Farmer Rick was an impossible dream (as the flashbacks in "A" reiterated), and we all knew that. So watching Rick come to that realization while Joe's rape crew threatened various cavities of his traveling companions felt like something we'd seen before. In fact, we made a big deal out of it in Season 2's "Nebraska," when he shot Dave (Michael Raymond James) in the head and made it clear that killing humans is okay when the time calls for it. The guy's just an unstable and indecisive dude, I suppose.

If Rick's turn to farming had yielded bigger rewards—grand prize at the Georgia State Fair for biggest pumpkin or some killer gazpacho, let's say—then seeing Rick transform into the "monster" that bit out Joe's throat (yep, that was cool) would have meant a lot more. But Rick spent so much time avoiding the necessary evils that are crucial to survival in this world by hiding behind a hoe, and I don't mean Rosita and her short shorts. Rick's farmer persona was never going to stick, and that hurt the efficacy of his return to being the Rick he should be. Besides, does it really make you a monster if you're willing to do everything you possiblly can to save your kid from being raped by a man who smells like a compost bucket? 

"A" clearly wanted Rick's transition back into his "survivor by any means necessary" mode to carry some weight, and pointed a camera at his bloody body propped up by a Jeep to drill that home. But it wasn't really an organic character arc. One of The Walking Dead's prominent themes—and one that it will continue to repeat without hesitation—is the urge to find some normalcy in this crazy hellhole of a world, and because Rick is the main character, the search is going to lead right through him more often than not. That's a problem for a show that isn't particularly dynamic in terms of what it can do. Maybe Rick needs to go on a beer run with Beth to get some perspective.

The most exciting part of "A" came when Rick, Carl, Daryl, and Michonne arrived at Terminus and started snooping around, which led to their discovery of a call center for Terminus Radio with mindless drones spouting out nonsense about sanctuary and community. The last 15 minutes of the episode were what we'd been waiting for all season, and even though we all knew it was a trap, the scenes were played with enough mystery that we second-guessed ourselves. I even thought for a second that Monster Rick might accidentally go nuts on a bunch of innocent people, putting a new spin on the debate of whether you can trust strangers in the post-apocalypse.

But nope. The citizens of Terminus were horrible weirdos who stole stuff from others, as we learned when Rick went Shawn Spencer on everyone and scoped out the hidden details: Some guy had Sasha's poncho, another guy was wearing Glen's body armor, and somehow Rick determined that a chain leading to someone's pocket was connected to Hershel's watch. The standoff that ensued featured some of the trademark toughness that director Michelle MacLaren's trademark toughness (zooooom out from Carl's gun!) brought to Breaking Bad, but other than that, there was something clutzy about watching Rick and his pals try to run as a hail of bullets purposely missed them by several feet. I laughed a bit as the sparks shot up off the ground and random Terminites closed doors like the place was some carnival haunted house. Do these Terminus gunmen have unlimited ammo? Do they get a kick out of forcing people into train yards by shooting where they don't want people to go? Is it a handful of people's jobs to hang out on the roof and aim at people's shoes?

As weird as it was, we did get a tour of the grounds, and some clues to who these people are. And either they were recreating the video for The Police's "Wrapped Around Your Finger" or they have some disgusting rituals that involve a lot of candles. The theory de rigueur is that they're cannibals, and a pile of human skeletons in the yard did nothing to suggest otherwise. We have no reason not to wonder if Beth was in the chili that Mary was serving up. But it looks to me like the residents of Terminus are in some sort of cult that might be involved in human sacrifice. Or maybe they eat people and we're all right. 

The Cult of Terminus ran the group through the rat maze until they ended up near some train cars, and then they shuffled the group into a train car by threatening Carl's life. And who should already be in there but Glenn's group and Maggie's group! Hooray! So now we have Rick, Carl, Daryl, Michonne, Glenn, Maggie, Sasha, Bob, Eugene, Abraham, Rosita, and Tara all in an empty train car waiting to be sacrificed, or turned into a stew or whatever. But in the final seconds of the episode, Rick vowed, "They're going to feel pretty stupid when they find out ... they're screwing with the wrong people." Yep, Rick, you have them right where you want them! It wasn't exactly an instantly quotable moment, but given that Rick ate a man's throat earlier in the hour, I at least believe that he believed it.

Of course, as an ending for a half-season that was already in trouble, the final scene of "A" was just a guy shaking his fists and saying, "I'll show them!" instead of a burst of the finale fireworks we're always hoping The Walking Dead will provide. I don't know how much of Season 5 will concentrate on taking out Terminus, but The Walking Dead probably should've wrapped up the Terminus story in Season 4 by cutting back on the filler. Season 2A is not-so-fondly remembered as "the season on the farm," and Season 4B will be labeled "the season where they walked to Terminus."

NOTES

– The episode title referred to the "A" on the train car. 

– Thankfully Rick buried a bag of guns outside the compound! That'll come in handy in Season 5.

– Where's Beth?

– Oh, and Tyreese, Carol, and Judith—where are they, too, I guess? But seriously, where is Beth? Do the people of Terminus have cars? I think she was taken by someone else.

– I'm all for flashbacks to help bring the present alive, but I'm not sure I see the point of the flashbacks in "A," other than to reiterate what we already knew over and over and over again. And to show us that Patrick liked playing with Legos. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

764 Comments
Comments (793)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the stupid shooting at their feet thing was a tie-in to Rick explaining his rabbit trap to his son. I think the scene was really stupid, and I hope it isn't an indication of things to come. There's no way those guys have so much ammo that they can afford to do that. In a show that's already about zombies, they really need to make an effort to keep thigns as realsitic as possible.
Flag
Actually it is possible, i guess many people walk into terminus with their guns and stuff and before eating them, they would keep the guns. Anyways, cannibalism is so not original and I would like the most watched drama on tv to come up with better story arcs.
Flag
I'm okay with the understated ending to set up Season 5, but I strongly believe a season finale is NO PLACE for flashbacks. There are zero stakes in flashbacks, and a season finale should be all stakes, all the time.

These flashbacks didn't even teach us anything new! I honestly think they were there just to remind us that we miss Hershell, and that Glenn has his watch.
Flag
i am sorry, but this review is utter idiocy - narrow minded, ignoring any other possible interpretations of character arc, ignoring the fact that Terminus was not the main theme of the season (neither was getting to it) - getting the group after a shitstorm in prison was.
why are all reviews on this show are so one sided??
Flag
did anyone knew what was the pile of bones for? terminus people are more insane than woodbury people put together
Flag
that's easy bro, add up piles of bones and the grill
Flag
I'm fine with seasons ending on suspenseful notes ("What'll happen next? How will they get out of this mess?"), but I hate it when they leave you with no idea what's going on ("What happened to Beth? What the hell do these Terminus people want? What was up with that candle room? Does Rick have some kind of plan?")
Ugh. It's going to be a long wait.
Flag
Mr. Surette, did you wait with writing this review, just so you could digest the comments??!! Anyway great review, thank you.

Again the usual mistakes planted by the writers just to make it believable that the group can get in situations like these. We're in season 4 and still the writers try to make the group naieve.

Anyway the Terminus/Cannibal story line should have been wrapped up in this season. Hopefully it will get wrapped up in season 5 quickly, so we can move on. Long wait ahead of us!
Flag
I really expected more drama and more action and a lot of trouble. When I thought something would happen to Carl, nothing happened. I wanted MORE!
Flag
It was good seeing Hershel again even if it was flashbacks and Rick was a beast!!!
Flag
I must say I way rather sceptical when I heard the news that the man who seemingly turned season 3 into an exciting roller coaster ride had left the building again. And somehow, my suspicion seems to prove right: Glen Mazzara proved to be very valuable to the show's pace and direction. - Season 4 has been quite a big disappointment for me, and I hope for the best that the producers will be able to re-establish what they once had. Right now, after all those rather bland episodes of this season, my hope level has dropped a bit...
Flag
I liked the season finale, these days I usually find the Rick/Carl/Michionne the best episodes-but truthfully having them scattered out was not a good idea. At least, not for so LONG. Maybe one episode.

IT feels like the whole series has been off track since the beginning of season 4. All those characters introduced ONLY so that we could watch them die-pretty cheap.

There have been a few good episodes in season 4-but most of the time it felt like a different show than in the previous 3 seasons. I know it comes from a comic book, but it never felt like it did until we were introduced to the scantily clad pony-tailed girl traveling with Eugene et al.

And walker activity was ALWAYS for a purpose, and usually done in clever ways-at least it felt intense and part of a storyline before. This season often it feels they just throw in a bunch of scenes of walkers/killing walkers to fill the time.

Maybe they have lost some writers, I don't know. But few episodes showed the quality and thoughtfulness of previous seasons.

We'll see what they come up with next. Season one was by FAR the best. Wish Frank Daurobaut (sp?) had stayed. Every episode was so CRAFTED then.

More+
Flag
"Where's Beth?"

Well she was abducted, so either she's dead or is being tortured/is some dude's sex slave.
Flag
I read your review up until the ridiculous, sexist "hoe" comment. I doubt you meant to, but calling a character a "hoe" just because she wears short clothing is really hurtful to women. You know nothing of Rosita's sexual behavior. Please consider using this voice and your platform to be a little more classy with your humor in the future.
Flag
he dint called her a "hoe". read again, and this time really concentrate to understand what he his saying!!!
Flag
"Oh, and Tyreese, Carol, and Judith—where are they, too, I guess? But seriously, where is Beth? Do the people of Terminus have cars? I think she was taken by someone else."

Tyreese, Carol, and Judith are dead according to some of the evidence in the show.
1)The timing of the the character episodes: If you look at the timeline of each of the episodes involving each separate group heading to terminus you find some compelling evidence to show you that Judith's group was the first group to get to terminus. the order of events go as follows:
-------------------------
-rick and Carl get to the house where rick rests half dead from a wound.

-Daryl's group gets introduced, Judith's group gets introduced, and terminus gets introduced through a map to Judith's group, Maggie's group gets introduced, Gleen's group gets introduced, and lastly the nerd who claims to have the cure for zombies' group gets introduced.

-rick kills a man in the group of people that Daryl will later join after Beth gets taken.

-Daryl and Beth go on a beer run and burn down a house.

-Beth gets kidnapped

-Gleen discovers terminus sign.

-Judith's group now with carol rest at the house, they see the fire from daryl's groups beer run, carol kills the girl and they go to terminus.

-More time with Daryl's new group is given and the group informs Daryl that they are tracking a man who killed a member of their group, Gleen's group finds a sign left by Maggie, Gleen's group spits up and Gleen goes through the tunnel, Gleens group meets up with Maggie's group and heads for terminus and arrive there.

-rick's group gets attacked and head for terminus after.
-------------------------
So the only connections we have in the timeline that we know for sure are that rick killed a man in Daryl's group before they met Daryl or attacked rick's group, and that Judith's group saw the fire from Daryl's group before they went to terminus. and that Gleen's group saw Maggie's group messages after they wrote them. we can assume that the stuff that's happening in ricks and Daryl's group are happening simultaneously cause they meet up at some point, and Gleen and Maggie's group as well. now we know that at some point Judith's group sees the fire from Daryl's group so that puts them all the way back in the start before Beth gets taken or rick meets up with Daryl. now we know they all head for terminus so the only thing to find out is what order they get there. so we know that Gleens group arrives before rick's group the only thing don't know is where the heck Judith's group fits in they could have gotten there before Gleen's group,After Gleen's group but before rick's group, or they are going to get there after rick's group.

2) now that's pretty bad evidence to convince anyone that Judith's group is already dead but there is one more piece of evidence that the show deliberately presents us that makes me personally believe that that's the case, the show presents a package of baby powder milk right before rick enters the train which would put Judith's group before ricks group in the timeline of getting to terminus. I could be wrong after all they could have just split up and gone into terminus separately to make sure they weren't an evil group but only time will tell :P

lastly according to the comics Beth has been kidnapped by some religious group which I won't go into because it might spoil the show for people.
More+
Flag
Another thing...about the powdered milk, it could be a hint that it was for Judith, but I heard a fan of the show who is a veal farmer said that they feed calves milk to soften their muscles. That could also explain the carton of milk.
Flag
Interesting theory, but do you think the show would kill them off-camera? I felt sure they had not arrived yet, but when I watched the final scene again, I wondered if they were the ones in the other container yelling when Rick and Co. ran by. There was a woman's and a man's voice coming from the container.
Flag
I would say they are more than likely the other people in the other container, and while the timeline points are interesting -- and quite thorough (well done!) -- any script writer could find a reason why they might have fallen behind in the end. Keep in mind they have a baby... maybe the baby started crying and some zombies came so they headed into the woods and went off 'track'. It's that easy.
Flag
I did wonder like many here on why there were NO zombies around or even near Terminus. And looking at how they were BBQ-ing meat here and there without any hint of livestock or hunted animals, most likely they rob and ate people-which explains why they didn't want to kill Rick and his gang. Keep 'em fresh will ya? But as much as I enjoy watching TWD, too many fillers is kinda turning me brain dead too. Supernatural did the same thing too and whilst it did not hurt their monster ratings too, many fans were kinda pissed with so many inconsequential fillers. Hopefully Rick can just take over the Terminus and turn it back into the good ole prison days sans the governor and focus on just keeping the zombies away and letting the scientist come up with some kind of cure or something.

Already Brad Pitt is doing a sequel to WWZ, which I guess would be phenomenal and I prefer to keep my waking walking dead moments to watch that instead if TWD dun pick up the walking dead pace!
Flag
PEOPLE!!! How have we missed this prior to now? Whenever Crazy Rick makes an appearance, and he does something wild like, oh, I dunno.....eat somebody's throat, we really need a .gif of the action with the caption "I'M RICK GRIMES, BITCH!" (fans of Chappelle's Show will understand this is something that must happen. It simply must.)

Flag
I am rooting for the Zombies! Kill them all! :P
Flag
This was okay, could have been better. I agree that they should have just cut out the filler but are milking the ratings. The Beth disappearance is the most interesting thing while Terminus was so obviously going to be awful and it took way too long to get them all there.
Flag
The definition of "anticlimax" --& Season 4 finale of the Walking Dead...
Flag
This is a confusing show. Another season finale that had a lot going for it but also a really problematic one. It had way to much build up and exposition for a finale, there were too many flashbacks that broke the episode's continuity without being effective. Then there were more cases of purely arbitrary behaviour. Darryl hanging with the rape posse was clearly nothing more than a deus ex machina for Rick. And the whole sequence where things went wrong at Terminus ended up being just as stupid as the prison raid finale last year. The 'master plan' of the Terminus residents was so incredibly stupid, what they have a bunch of guys up on the roofs with machine guns who go through tonnes of ammo just to supposedly herd people into an area that wasn't even a dead end, and another group of guys waits outside the fence to cover the herded people. So stupid and Rick and the gang were so stupid for falling in line. There were so many ways they could have avoided that outcome if they hadn't been so stupid. And the ending was going for cliffhanger over closure but the cliffhanger was weak.

Also there's Rick, his character arc is a mess. It seems that one of the only constants on this show throughout its showrunner carnage is the need for Rick to have violent character upheaval each season. I kind of understand since Rick has been the only character to be consistently valued. But it's a mess. He's lucid/he's crazy, he's a humanist/he's vengeful, he's democratic/he's a dictator, he's a farmer/he's a mercenary, he's rational/he's compulsively violent and so on. There's nothing we can take out of this that means anything. He's taken on both extremes of every possible character facet (he was the best of times, he was the worst of times), all that can possibly mean is that the writers have no discipline, they want to have their cake and eat it too. They love it when Rick goes psycho but their not prepared to lose the benevolent dad aspect and they've decided to use him to be all things to all people instead of being true to the character. The neck biting scene was taken straight from the comics (including the rape on Carl - it was more explicit in the comics and Carl was younger) but it was much more effective there because in the comics Rick had a consistent arc. Granted the comics are much briefer but sometimes brevity can be more effective.

Yet much of the episode was really good. I'm not sure if this was the best season yet (give me time to decide) but I'm feeling more optimistic about the show now than I have for awhile. Maybe with the Governor baggage cleared it can really stand on its own two feet. The long seasons are going to continue to be a real issue, there'll be more filler ahead for sure. But at least now I can like these characters. Before I minded them but now can look forward to watching them.
More+
Flag
I think enough has been said about the quality of the last episode and Rick's 'journey'. What I don't get about Terminus is... where are all the zombies? Do they just not attack Terminus? How many people are in Terminus? There were a lot of people in the prison, which was double fenced and the zombies to created enough problems for them. Surely all that gun fire would attract hordes of zombies? Why were there no zombies near the fence of Terminus either walking or dead on the ground? Ok the Terminus peeps are cannibals, and humans are the real danger etc. but there still are millions of the walking dead out there, except at Terminus?
Flag
Agreed. It was obviously just a scripting problem -- you can't have them focus on the idea of 'war' between survivors if you introduce the third element (zombies) with no clear plot-line. Trust me, when the schnitz hits the fan at the beginning of next season and everyone's busy shooting at each other the zombies will walk is as deus ex machina to take out the terminus cannibals that can't be hit buy Rick's bag of guns. The whole point of this episode, in my opinion, was to point out that you, me, and obviously the people at Terminus are 'the walking dead' and eating each other. Once that point is hammered further home, the zombies will suddenly strike, rest assured.
Flag
So, which character will be butchered for meat during the next season's premiere? They have to show the audience and the characters that they are truly cannibals, and they probably will want to make up for the lack of a death in the finale. Bob or the Lesbian Police Academy cadet seem most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if Eugene pulls a Harry Ellis or a Senator Mavros and tries to play the "World Savior" card just to end up killed and made an example of. Most people know he is full of hot air, but leaving it unknown instead of proving he knows nothing is much more entertaining.

In the end though, I'd assume it is GI Joe. He is a bit cartoony for Rick and the rest.

Chris B
Flag
Tim Surrette, why are you so annoyed by the metaphors in "A" that are actually awesome? Such as: 1) No one cares that Patrick likes Legos but everyone should care that Patrick plays with Lego cars while Carl plays with guns. That moment represented how Carl has no use for childhood (gun oil on coloring book), how unusual that is and Rick's ongoing struggle to simultaneously accept Carl where he is while still protecting him from becoming distorted by their awful experiences. 2) When Rick bites out that guy's neck he's acting exactly like a walker, both by implementing their tactic and crossing the line that disappeared for Lizzy. That's why it rattles everyone so much. 3) The point of "Farmer Rick" wasn't for him to become an award-winning farmer. It was a stand in for Rick striving for a life as a healthy human who cares for those around him and invests in the future because he optimistically believes that it will actually arrive someday. Hershel's calming presence in those flash backs also represents the strength and courage that each survivor finds in the group. This, coupled with his realization of what he's willing to do for Carl, rushes back to Rick when he finds himself in a train car of allies with 3 more thrown in. I thought the final statement was perfect. It represents Rick finally coming into his own as a leader and accepting the terrible things that he has to do to help his people survive. That's exactly the tension that's been at his core since episode 1.

Running around being shot at for 2.5 minutes was a little ridic and the finale would have had much more punch if the other episodes hadn't been so flabby (exception: The Grove). This episode was tight- the lead ups were weak. Also, hope you'll keep writing next season. The experience wouldn't be the same without your hilarious post game commentary.
More+
Flag
"A" clearly wanted Rick's transition back into his "survivor by any means necessary" mode to carry some weight, and pointed a camera at his bloody body propped up by a Jeep to drill that home. But it wasn't really an organic character arc."

You gotta be kidding me. TWD unfortunately gets a lot of things wrong, but Rick's character arc is not one of them.

Rick has been fighting with the duality of wanting to be a family man and a "warrior" since the beginning of the show. Since before the outbreak even began Rick had trouble reconciling being a husband and father with being a cop. He has always believed he needed to be one (peaceful protector) or the other (fearsome leader). He's fought against his anger, rage and need for control with Shane, the Governor, and Laurie's death.

He tried to be all anger and authority when they first came to the prison, and that didn't work. He tried to do the opposite when he decided to become a farmer at the prison and leave the decision making (i.e violence) to the council. But in trying to suppress a part of him, he ended up losing his sh*t on Tyrese.

Carol said it best "You can be a farmer Rick, you can't just be a farmer".

"A" marks Rick's realization that his anger and rage are a part of him. He doesn't need to choose between being a father, brother or friend and a fearsome protector, he can be both. He can lead, inspire and farm if he wants to, but also rip out throats when the people he cares about are in danger.

IMO, Rick's arc is the strongest part of the show.

P.S But yes I agree overall it was a weak episode, and definitely didn't feel like a season finale.
More+
Flag
Yeah but what was his struggle with Lori's death comprised of? He wandered around in a ditch for a little while and hung out with ghost Lori, which was the wooooorst, and then pulled himself together again. We never have gotten any real insight into what he was feeling and he never really "lost it" in an effective manner. Season 3 was so disconnected and strange.

Rick was mad at Lori for 8 months? That's the time that they skipped between Seasons 2 and 3 right? So he was pissy for 8 whole months? That's not Rick. Rick is not petty. It's like they skipped 8 months for the sole purpose of Lori being ready to deliver the baby in her big death scene. And Rick was mad for 8 months for the sole purpose of us feeling really bad for him when she died.

I love Rick, he's my favorite character. But I absolutely hate what they did with him in Season 3. And he's been mia during much of Season 4. The scene where he kills Joe and his buddy in the season finale was awesome, realistic and true to the character. He will do anything to protect his child. Then he makes the nonsensical decision to waltz into a compound about which he knows nothing, placing his child in imminent danger again.

Makes zero sense to me. Rick's character development was thrown to the wolves so that they could get everybody to Terminus for the thing and the whatnot. Which is why I think people have a problem with his character. He's ripping a guy's throat out with his teeth one minute and willfully endangering Carl the next.

As a quick add on to this, Michonne and Daryl also decide to waltz into Terminus, seeking the safety that they are obviously able to provide for themselves. Risking everything for what? The story line, that's what.
More +
Flag
Judith will save the day with her trusty sidekicks Tyreese and Carol. They have been walking towards Terminus for so long that by the time they reach the place, Judith will have grown up to be a mean ass zombie hunting Rambo baby.
Flag
I refute the use of the word hoe in this review. Seriously, why she gotta be a hoe tho?

LOL. I kid. carry on
Flag
It's simply the way the writers want to write it, just like any show of fiction. I accept the ups and downs of the show mainly because its the only zombie fix on tv, and zombies haven't been reduced to sparkling in the sunshine love interests. I'd rather have had more of a hint of Beth's condition, and I'll speculate to myself whether Tyrese and Carol will come to the rescue or are already container people (I'd love it if Carol were to be the saving grace of banishment Rick and his hearing loss). Was very creeped out by the Wild Dogs attack on Rick's group, especially going for Carl, the show skirts the issues that most shows outside of SUV wouldn't touch. Well, until Kirkman ends his book, I'll probably follow the show, whether up or down.
Flag
You forget Warm Bodies, no monster, decaying or otherwise is free from being cast as a love interest.

also

Sparkly in sunshine zombies coming soon to a theatre near you :-)
Flag
Did lol at "while Joe's rape crew" haha. The look in the eye of that guy holding Carl down gave me the heeby jeebies.

I thought 4B as a whole was really good. There were some lulls (as you'd expect in TWD) but it had the best character development of the series so far. Also it featured less Carl which is always a bonus in my books.

It was a pretty underwhelming finale but with everyone back together and that crazy look in Rick's eye I'm sure they'll find a way to somehow overpower the dozens of people with rifles with their bare hands.
Flag
"I'm sure they'll find a way to somehow overpower the dozens of people with rifles with their bare hands."

LOL. Love it.
Flag
This was a good episode! It didn't exactly go out with a bang, but it makes me curious as to what happens next.
Rick is the best! I don't think he was ever UNable to do whatever it takes... I just think what made him better than some is that he kept his humanity, but then he snapped at times... I don't like that in this show. To me it seems unrealistic for them to be so cold or not minding killing people. Sometimes it's like they're not even trying to keep their humanity, but just make excuses for their bad actions (Carol). The incident in this episode was reasonable though - those guys were sick and deserved what they got!

"Where's Beth?" - Who cares? I hope they ate her already.
Flag
Damn, I knew it was a trap!

And where are Tyreese, Carol, Beth and the baby?!
Flag
Most zombie movies top out at two hours long, this story must be over thirty hours at this point what more can they do with it. They should have gone down the True Detective route, one season with these people and move on British tv has done it for years. But they have success and four years later they're just walking around in circles and four years from now they'l still be walking around in circles
Flag
Rick ( the mama bear ) protecting carl was amazing it shows how far hes willing to go to protect his boy i just wish that carl drops the bitchy attitude and apreciate his father more , i hope in the next season they will connect .
i was dissapointed not seeing carol and judith re unite with the group but i guess they are saving it for the next season .
i think beth was taken by someone new that they will introduce in the next season or maybe the terminus guys ? i dont know dont care shes my least favorite .
excited for the next season CANT WAIT

Flag

For a final it could have answered more questions, could have given us some sort of idea where Beth is. It could have given us an insight of how far Carol and Tyress are from Terminus... I couple of questions I was left wondering were wether or not the guys from terminus were watching out for Ricks crew, do they know he hid that bag of guns? Surly with a group that organised with that many people shooting through the other side of the fence there would have been someone watching them from a mile away. Who are these people? are they a group of cannibals or crazy witch people, I would think cannibals are looking the likely.

It was great seeing the character development with Rick and how he was changed to farmer Rick just before he went crazy and bit Joes neck! Cant believe they actually did it!!! Awesome!!! That entire scene was simply awesome, they have really stepped it up in the 'omg I cant believe they did that' factor this season.... Going to rape Carl is just like the comic books and I never thought it was going to happen in the TV show! Simply awesome.

The biggest question I suppose is how do they plan on getting out of this? I guess ricks lines saying how stupid they are going to feel for messing with this group is interesting but like dude you stuck in a train cart with no weapons no way of escaping! I am sure the guys at The Walking Dead will do an awesome job of finding an escape route for them!

Bring on Season 5!!!

More+
Flag
Maybe Tyreese & Carol are behind because they hung out in the Grove for so long. Judging from the piles of pecan shells they were there for at least a few days.
Flag
Is it wrong to admit that I actually wasn't surprised when Rick awesomely tore out that guy's jugular? Lol. Call me desensitized *shrug*
Flag
That was Daryl's poncho from forever ago, not Sasha's. They also had the orange backpack that Rick, Michonne and Carl got off the dead hitchhiker they passed up.
Flag
GOD this show is awful, unfortunately so invested in this dam thing i force myself to watch it (play on iPad as it runs in the background) WHEN WILL IT END
Flag
When people stop watching it.... If your really keen on it ending do exactly that... Shows that don't get views get cancelled!
Flag
Tim's way off the mark with his review of The Walking Dead's season finale. Here's my response

Flag
Hey liked your review. Agreed! Keep it all coming.
Flag
Thanks, much appreciated!
Flag
Rick's farmer persona actually might worked if they had stay in the prison and the governor did not attack.

For a TV show, it will not worked because it is not exciting to see Rick as a farmer but he had good reason to do it, mainly because of his children.

The whole episode was to show that Rick realized and made peace with himself that it is necessary sometimes to be a monster to protect your family. And you can be a good dad and be a monster at the same time.
Flag
well it was confusing finale. felt like penultimate episode. why exactly should these unknown people be aware of Rick and his teammates? Coz he said so in menacing voice?
This show. I can't find words for it at times.
I found out that it is more interesting to watch this show in-between sleepy state. It gets more scary and intriguing if you watch it with your sleepy eyes.
Most showing thing for me in his 4b season was Rosita who was dressed as Lara Croft by sexist screenwriters. There is no any reason for her to be dressed like that except for male gaze of buncha WD nerds. Screenwriters of WD think they are in video game or something?
Isn't it more reasonable to cover your body completely in zombie apocalypse world? How 'bout bites? Why does she need to walk around dangerous zone with naked legs? Whose idea was that? That one lame job at female character showed me how lazy writers are at WD. Rosita? Seriously? Latino over sexual stereotype? Geez.

Flag
Most showing thing for me in his 4b season was Rosita who was dressed as Lara Croft by sexist screenwriters. There is no any reason for her to be dressed like that except for male gaze of buncha WD nerds. Screenwriters of WD think they are in video game or something?

While I can agree with and be irritated by Rosita's post-apocalyptic rape-bait fashion sense, what you're considering laziness on the writers part is simply a direct homage to the comic character. is it sexist? Yes. That's simply the nature of the beast in comics...but is it lazy? Not at all. It was completely intentional.
You can be irritated by the sexism of it (I know I am) but at least know better of what you're actually irritated by. Thinking it's writer laziness is a big swing and a miss
Flag
to what comic character? Im not a nerd to know some comic characters. I watch tv show that supposed to be a bit realistic. Well, it was keeping realistic vibe in first two seasons and is still trying at times. It could be comic reference but that obvious male gaze shot (when we saw how Rosita picked something from the ground) is very telling about writers' second intention. IMHO lazy coz they decided to put some comic reference and not to deal with fleshed out character.
Flag
I can't help but feel you're watching the wrong show if you want realism, and if you find the first two seasons realistic I really worry in what way you view the world.

In all seriousness, I think I get what you're trying to say by filling in some of the basic grammatical gaps you left in, but this is hardly the first time Walking Dead has been sexist. It actually goes against the source material in that regard. Laurie's speeches in season 2 towards Andrea were a perfect example, not to mention during that point female characters just got crap for writing/plot points compared to their male counterparts.

Thankfully later seasons did get better, with Carol and Beth being great examples, and Michonne (I know I butchered the spelling) actually getting a personality instead of just being silent and brooding.
Flag
That was very loud example. That's all. I know what I watch. You don't need to point that. Nobody is telling that WD is real life reflection. But in its own context it gets lazier and lazier. Every show defines some realistic rules it doesnt want to break in possible future. If Shield would have had russian spies all over the place and president's assassination we'd be confused, wouldn't we? And also Breaking Bad broke some of its rules in terms of plausibility in conext of the show. So as WD does it. And in mentioned episode it was striking. WD presented itself not as absolute comics world but AMC drama show about survivors in zombie apocalypse. It's not fucking CW's Arrow it is more serious in that way. If it would have been ridiculously comics-like (a la Heroes) I wouldn't complained about it.
Flag
You don't need to be a comics nerd to know by now that the show is based on a comic book. If it's been mentioned once, it's been mentioned a thousand times in the reviews & responses over the years. You also don't need to be a comics nerd to notice through pop culture how sexist comics are. I'll grant ya that you're unfamiliar that Rosita's look was a direct lift out of the comic book & done strictly as total fan service, so, fair 'nuff. I can't fault you for that...but your irritation on the writers is completely misplaced. As realistic as the show tries to be on many things, it's still gonna throw in some nuggets for the comic fans to squee about. That's just the way it is & will continue to be. If you're looking for 100% realism you're gonna drive yourself insane trying to find it. Dial down your realism expectations & you'll find less to complain about.
Flag
It was bad call on writers' side. or showrunners'. Lara Croft wannabe was too evident. She contrasted with other survivors. I know she's from comics but showrunners don't bring every character from comics. they should pay attention to their own context and world that differs from comics' WD.
Flag
It really seemed as if he didn't know the show is based on a comic. Isn't life funny :-)
Flag
Thank you. Some people complain without legitimate reason. Its a show based on a comic book. Its entertaining, but it aint breaking bad. Either deal with it or GTFO. No offense. But seriously.
Flag
i also thought the final line from rick was laughable. i was like "really?! thats it?" kinda corny
Flag
The most important flashback is when Hershel mentions the watch. Anyway, the flashbacks tell us how Rick and Carl became farmers...
Flag
Rick went Shawn Spencer on everyone and scoped out the hidden details:

Thanks for this tim:)
Flag
This whole half season has been about reuniting the group. As soon as that happens, they're all

"These are our new friends, helped us survive",
"Then they're our friends too", UNQUESTIONABLY
"These cannibals are going to feel pretty stupid when they find out... they're screwing with the wrong people".

To me it meant, wherever they are, whatever the situation is, they will fight and die for each other because they are a family. That unprecedented love is why they will beat the odds and win. It was sweet.

Thinking about it, Rick even called Daryl his "brother" this episode. Yeah, I think I might be barking up the right tree for a change.
Flag
Not a great season finale by any means.BUT I graded it in three parts.
1st Grade= (A+)Rick and the bikers( Need I say more)
2nd Grade=(B+) Prison flashbacks ( all ways good to see Herschel)
3rd Grade= (D+) The whole Terminus scene seemed forced and rushed ( and don't get me started with the sniper scene)
So in other words the whole "A" episode grade put at a B..(about what I expected) *Sidenote* Beth was "kidnapped" by Joe Carroll for a couple of weeks, being that she showed up on "The Following"( get your money girl!)
Season 5 has now been set up. Please proceed with a little more urgency next year...but who am I kidding. Probably going to get more of the same and I'll be right there hanging on every show. Walking Dead YOU WIN!!
Flag
They spent 8 episodes just getting to Terminus and you think it was rushed?? LOL
Flag
Ok, they are almost all toghether now, so I really think Beth disappearance will be something important for season 5 because they didn't showa thing about her at the finale.
Flag
Couldn't love it more.
Flag
Loved the last episode, genuinely thought Carl was going to die, even though with all the Rick-dominant flashbacks I thought he was the one to die, thankfully nobody did. Yes we have seen Rick's character play over and over again, but it was nice seeing Carl being subdued and realizing he isn't quite the man he thinks he was becoming... without Rick this show would be nothing.

There are some great communities that can come into this series now, especially with the likelihood of Beth being taken by another group. But they do need to find a way to bring in new characters that are not ripped from the comic books and feel like a comic character - the three new staples (No clue of there names) dress, speak and feel like cartoon characters... less is more when it comes to character building.

Either way I'm excited for Season 5.
Flag
"the three new staples (No clue of there names) dress, speak and feel like cartoon characters"

Thats Texas country folk for ya
Flag
Your comment highlights what exactly?!
Flag
yeah, why no Beth, Carol, Tyrese or Judith in the finale. dumb. seems like they just ran out of time and couldn't include them.

maybe Judith will come in guns blazin' in season 5A to rescue her daddy & big bro. hah

Flag
We don't call her lil' asskicker for nothing.
Flag
I laughed a bit as the sparks shot up off the ground and random Terminites closed doors like the place was some carnival haunted house.

i laughed too. i was like they are wasting a lot of ammo, just to funnel them thru the "A" maze.
Flag
Uneven finale to this show but much as expected for the writers, Rick story was good but they have teasing us about terminus for the whole season. They have done the same thing they did at the end of season 3 the governor war , why bother with the build up. Also in the trailer they teased us one of the main characters (Beth, Rick , Carl) would get killed by the walkers, but it was some guy out of nowhere. I think that is the crux of the problem with this finale the balance is all wrong.

The Terminus A cart had some baby powder packs on the floor I suspect Carol , Tyrese and judith are at terminus , at least Rick hid the weapons outside, problem is against the terminus army how are they going to get to them. I do hope they can have the better episodes in season 4 span over next season and that will be better for the show in the long run.

Flag
"I'm all for flashbacks to help bring the present alive, but I'm not sure I see the point of the flashbacks in "A," other than to reiterate what we already knew over and over and over again."

BINGO! So what we get to see what looked like deleted scenes that were meant as early flashbacks where Hershel talks Rick into something other than "survival"? They didn't show anything of the month or two prior to the premier that had any real impact. The entire concept of "surviving vs living" has been played out through much of 4B and in FAR more effective ways than a bunch of Hershel flashbacks.

Forget that the whole passive farmer Rick arc was so poorly constructed or that what Rick did to the hillbilly gang really wasn't that bad, if doing whatever it takes to survive makes him a bad guy, where was the remorse for killing that dude in the bathroom that started this whole thing?

Convoluted, inconsistent and repetitive...three words I wouldn't expect to be used to describe a finale.
Flag
Because he didnt tear out that guy's jugular vein with his bare teeth. Thats why. Rick has gone primal.
Flag
Still Not sure why the episode was names "A"
Flag
the train car had a big A painted on it
Flag
aha!! Gotcha. thanks.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members