A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S04E03: "Isolation"

Who knew death and disease could be so much fun? When it's happening to you or your loved ones or even people you only kind of know, yeah, it sucks. But when sickness happens to people on the television during a zombie apocalypse? It's fantastic! I'm not sure "Isolation" was itself any better than the first two episodes of The Walking Dead's fourth season, because these first three hours have really felt like one continued story that shouldn't be divided into parts. However, it was the third strong installment in a row of the improved and more complete The Walking Dead. It's almost time to officially declare that the writers have recognized what did and didn't work in the series' previous seasons, and now they're exploiting the positives. I say "almost" because we've been burned before: Season 3 started off like a ravenous zombie in a children's hospital before going kaput in the middle and wandering around in circles with way too much Andrea nonsense.

What I love about Season 4 so far is that it's not just about life and death. And no, it's not UNdeath that's the additional cool thing. Good zombie stories deal with the undefinable stage between life and death, the painful and drawn-out part where life is fading and death is imminent, and Season 4 has really focused on that. Remember that scene when Ryan was dying and Lizzy and Mika had to come in and say goodbye to their dad? That was amazing, and that's what I'm talking about. Not only was Ryan dying, he also had to be killed again after he died. When you die in a zombie apocalypse, you don't just go away, you come back. In our normal lives, death is the final explosion of the time bomb that is life. In the world of The Walking Dead, death is just the lighting of the fuse, and the BOOM is someone you once knew chewing on your arm. 

The introduction of a deadly virus (is it a mutation of the zombie virus, or just a bad case of pig flu?) extends the cool "between period" not just to those who've fallen ill, but to everyone in the area. All the people in the prison camp are literally a shared straw away from dying, and that has amplified the sense of looming death that powers The Walking Dead. The paranoia and claustrophobia that that took root in "Infection" came to a full bloom in "Isolation," and the series is so much better for it. People be acting desperate and crazy!

The greatest thing this outbreak has done is blow up the group while keeping them all together and forcing each individual into action. That creates character. "Isolation" was a perfect episode title; everyone on the show is in a unique and defined headspace. There's no Opinion A vs. Opinion B with squabbling over which side to pick, something that crippled The Walking Dead in previous seasons. Shane's right! Shane's wrong! We stay on the farm! We leave the farm! We attack Woodbury! We stay at the prison! Things aren't bipartisan any longer, they're individual. Just take a look where everyone is:

• Rick: Pressuring himself into taking a leadership role and holding a gun again.
  • Tyreese: Pissed off beyond all hell and ready for justice.
  • Daryl: A man of action who's ready to do what needs to be done.
  • Michonne: Strong yet distracted by other goals; still a mystery.
  • Carl: Feeling held back and ready to take responsibility.
  • Hershel: Brave and willing to risk himself.
  • Glenn: Sick!
  • Maggie: Worried!
  • Beth: Falling apart before our eyes.
  • Carol: So badass I can't even begin to do her justice. (I LOVE CAROL THIS SEASON!)

These characters aren't interchangeable like they were before, and their conversations have real bite instead of happening for the sake of showing two sides of an argument. I didn't mind Rick talking to Tyreese about finding Extra Crispy Karen's murderer. I didn't mind the small council talking about how to handle the sick. And I certainly didn't mind Hershel's speech about doing what he could to help, which should go down as one of the greatest monologues in the series' history. Heck, after listening to Hershel say, "The only thing you can choose is what you're risking [your life] for," I nearly hugged a hippie. There were moments when "Isolation" retreated toward being an overly talky episode, but unlike the Great Farm Blabber of 2011, thee stakes were high and immediate and most importantly, worth talking about. 

That's all a roundabout way of saying—provided you like the virus storyline, and I suspect some may not—that The Walking Dead is on fire right now thanks to its new approach. And that new approach includes some dangling mysteries for compelling mini-arcs, some of which were solved quickly and some of which are still open. We still don't know who was feeding rats to the zombies and weakening the perimeter fence (I remain fastidious in thinking it was Bob, because "never trust the new guy" is a staple horror rule), but the case of Krispy Karen came to a shocking and awesome conclusion in "Isolation." TYREESE MAD over Karen's death, and he let everyone know how mad he was by punching them. I love this Tyreese so much, you guys. Finally a personality to match that hulking frame of his. I do question whether Rick would be able to stand up after those sledgehammers he took in the face, though. And then Rick kicked his ass? Whoa. 

After a very adult "My bad, bro" conversation between Rick and Tyreese, Rick became a cop again and hunted down the murderer. It was when Tyreese asked Carol to look after Karen while he was gone that I realized it was Carol who did it; she was too stone-faced, like she was hiding something. And when Rick stopped her at the end of the episode and asked her directly if she killed Karen and David and set them on fire, her response was perfect. "Yes," she said, and walked away. She did it to try to prevent the spread of the virus, which opens up the debate about whether she was right in doing so. And in keeping with the recent development of the character, it made total sense. The first two episodes of Season 4 pushed Carol to places we'd never seen her go before. She's now the at-whatever-costs member of the group, teaching kids how to use sharp objects and reprimanding them for not being jerky enough to survive this apocalypse. Maybe it's a result of that time she spent lost in the tombs during Season 3, or maybe new showrunner Scott Gimple thought, "You know what? We need to do something with Carol." Either way, Carol is now the unsuspecting monster of the group. Most people won't know what she's capable of, and that's awesome. Now Rick has to decide whether or not he tells Tyreese (and everybody else) what happened, because if Rick reveals the truth, Tyreese is likely to rip Carol limb from limb and drink from the stumps. 

Sasha and Glenn also picked up the sickness, and while I really don't care about Sasha a whole lot, my heart aches for Glenn. Sasha's a goner because someone sort-of main needs to die from this, but there's no way Glenn's getting killed by the flu, right? As he said, "After everything, I'm getting taken out by a glorified cold." Stop talking like that, Glenn! This show is just trying to scare us. Glenn is not dying. He's not. Even if he dies, I'm going to pretend he's still alive like one of those mothers who carry their dead babies around. 

But even with all the new focus on character, The Walking Dead still knows what sells the tickets: the mass murder of zombies. And the interrupted road trip of Daryl, Michonne, Bob, and Tyreese may be one of the series' best zombie massacres to date. I usually frantically take notes while watching screeners, but during this glorious romp all I could do was stare and giggle. First, that horde of zombies! How many were there, thousands? Tens of thousands? A hundred thousand? Was it a Million-Zombie March for zombie rights? Daryl slammed the car in reverse but spun the tires in a pile of zombie corpses, and if The Walking Dead was just hours of spinning tires creating Jackson Pollock paintings with splashes of zombie goo, I would be okay with that. 

With nowhere to go, the foursome had to fight through the tip of the swarm and the carnage was amazing. Even in the most visceral and bloody portion of the episode, the characters' behavior was completely unique. Michonne was almost poetic with her swift katana strikes, halving heads with the grace of a Benihana chef attacking some teriyaki chicken. Maybe next time she'll flip the top half of a zombie head into her shirt pocket. Daryl displayed leadership and confidence with his succinct orders and precise headshots. And his endless supply of crossbow bolts. Bob showed that he's still new to this, flailing about with his gun while calling to Tyreese. And Tyreese, oh man, Tyreese. He rained the Hammer of God down upon the swarm with short, compact, mechanical blows, a therapeutic exercise for his struggles in coping with Karen's loss. If you're voting on the episode MVP and you're not handing it to Tyreese, then I don't know what you're thinking. 

Can we all pray to our respective gods that The Walking Dead keeps this up? Because "Isolation" was another solid episode of a series that badly needs a strong season. I was prepared to be content with zombie slaughter, but if The Walking Dead wants to add some legitimately good drama to the mix, then that's even better. 

NOTES

– Why couldn't T-Dog be around for this era? He would've been the best!!!

– Carl, stay in the house! But no, he had to play Hall Monitor and go with Hershel. I still don't understand Carl's reason for NEEDING to go with Hershel, other than he has an overinflated sense of responsibility, but at least he didn't screw anything up and got back on his own. 

– I was a big fan of tree hugger zombie. He/she had moss growing on his/her arms! One with nature, be at peace, Zombie of the Forest.

– Michonne, on not being worried about being in close quarters with Daryl: "He's already given me fleas." Every time Michonne tells a joke it catches me off guard. Gimple started off her standup routine back in "Clear," and it's clear he wants to keep that up with her. I approve. Hershel is also turning into quite the yukster. The writers are judiciously spreading out the comedy to help characters that need it, and that's great. 

– It's easy to question why Carol was outside the fence cleaning out the water line by herself and to say that she was stupid, but I prefer to think of it this way: She's badass. She carries brass knuckles now, people. Carol can do what she wants. 

– Haha, Lizzy is sick. Yes! Go virus!!! I love how Carol just shoved her into A-Block, too. I think I'm in love with Carol! 

– I feel bad for Dr. S getting sick, but I guess that was inevitable. And now Hershel is taking facefuls of contaminated blood. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

315 Comments
Comments (315)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Am I the only one who noticed from this that Daryl, once kin to Merle Dixon and probably just as much a bonafide racist, is now stuck in the wilderness fighting off a horde of zombies with three other people, all of whom happen to be black? Probably an inadvertent story choice all in all, but it's neat. A shame indeed T-dog was not also around.
Flag
DEFINITELY not the same Carol as season one, huh?
Flag
One of the best episodes in the show. And great article.
Flag
It's been a great run until now this season. Keep, it up!
Flag
Oh, boy, what a great discussion Tim kicked off with his openly I-love-badass-Carol-attitude! For the record, Tim, I am with you here, 100%.

Her character alteration is remarkable, indeed, yet believable: Once a woman suppressed by her thuggish husband, she picked herself up troughout losing her child and became a strong-minded person, taking responsibility, where others fail to do so.

Yes, it was a shockingly decision to flare off Karen and What's-his-name?, but in her opinion it had to be done to prevent worse for the sake of the group. Nice thought, Carol, unfortunately a little bit too late to work out. But then, when had surviving ever been easy?

There is a lot of badassery going on in TWD lately: Hershel going into the plague den, healing not only with magicly homeopathic berries, but more with the humanity of a hope giving samaritan; Tyreese clearing his way with vengeful anger; gorgeous Michonne relentlessly wielding her katana and sweet Daryl, a master of his cross bow. But Caral shines out, nowadays, as we are not quite used to her transition right yet: Action speaks louder than words.

I have to admit - being kind of a harmony seeker in real life - I have a certain affection for shining blades, an artful display of violence and here and then somewhat bloody battles. Call it archaic, it just appeals to me, and therefore I am game: Go for it Carol!
More+
Flag
I loved this episode and its awesome to see Carol come to the fore as a hard nosed at any cost survivor with still enough softness to care about WHY she did what she did and care for the people around her. It seems to have taken a long time to come but I am glad for it. Beth too is finally showing more than two dimensional background filler stuff. I for one am enjoying the virus story because it adds another level of threat to the whole set up. I hope it continues this way.
Flag
I just think Carol should know better then to get her knife stuck in a Zombie's head
Flag
Rick should know better than to run out yelling as if he forgot walkers respond to noise too, they are two of a kind
Flag
Are we having our first argument?
Flag
I was so upset and angry for hersehel when that doctor coughed/sneezed blood in his face!! I have a pet peeve about people coughing and sneezing around me, nothing annoys me more and I just wanted to give that guy one solid punch to the face for doing that to hershel. Did he even say sorry?
Flag
great to see Michonne fatalities and what if it's Mika the one responsible!!
Flag
Michonne is the best!
Flag
Oh Carol, I am so glad you didn't die after your kid became a zombie. Finally we're going to get to see some practical ruthlessness. Personally, even though it sucked, Carol's actions were smart. Too bad the infection spread so quickly.

I've decided that Bob has got to go. I just cannot handle how helpless he is during a Zombie Apocalypse. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't it mentioned that he was an army medic? Why wasn't he sticking behind to help out with the medical stuff? It would have been a better use of his actual skills no? So he's either another one of those characters that has to stick around and develop purpose (like Carol), or he's the one feeding the zombies...
Flag
I've got to hand it to the show: one of the main issues I have with zombe movies is the "survival of the fittest" theme from World War Z to the Redident Evil franshise.

The Walking Dead feels so real because survival is completely random what with Bob, Lizzy or Hersehl at the same rate as Daryl, the Governor or Michonne, I can never tell who is going to make it which is part of the fun.
Flag
I'm wondering if the Irish zombie-chick still hanging w/ her bottomless zombie-man is an indicator that zombies recognize each other or have some glint of memory. Or do zombies just gravitate towards other zombies?
I really thought this episode was starting to drag with all the character study moments and then they opened the zombie floodgates. The scene with the zombie horizon as far as the eye can see reminded me for second of World War Z. Where the hell did all those walkers come from?
Well, looks like they have to leave the prison now because I don't see chain-link holding off the parade of zombies heading their way.
Hats off the AMC for the 5th season renew. Sometimes I wonder, was there really life before TWD? My memory is a little fuzzy concerning this.
Flag
ok people. I am going to throw a very different approach on who did the dual murder - bbq of ep 02. I must admit at the end of episode 03 that when the idea first crossed my mind it became stronger and stronger by the minute. But when I came in here and read (excellent as always) Tim's post and your replies I became kind of uncertain.
You see, I believe it WASN'T Carol the murderer! It was Lizzie!
Let me develop my thinking. From the moment Carol answered with that <> to Ricks straightforward question I was feeling a little peculiar with her reaction, cause I think she is one of the most logical persons in the <> universe and this action - killing two ALIVE persons in cold blood because <> just didn't have the logic I observed till now from her character. In fact, no logic at all i might say, considering this murder came from an adult. And the fact that Carol tought the children how to use knives on people, as well as the weird, to say the least, behaviour of Lizzie (naming zombies) and the fact that she just lost her dad and was forced to that traumatic incident in the previous episode, drives to the conclusion that Lizzie was the killer and Carol KNOWS that, and is willing to cover her cause she is partly feeling guilty for teaching those kids use of knives (consider also all this otherwise bland chit-chat between Carol and Carl <>, <> <> bulshit.
If someone wonders how can a kid slaughter 2 adults with a knife, just remember how weak ill people are at those 2 episodes.
So, what do you think of my hypothesis? I really would like to know

More+
Flag
I don't think Lizzie doing the killing, dragging and burning is feasable. However, Lizzie HELPING Carol would be do-able or even Carol watching over Lizzie while she does it might be ok. Agree with zam, good creative thinking.
Flag
Lol ... no. (Points for creativity though :D)
Flag
This is the most insane thing, I have ever read in here... No way that's the case.
Flag
I have to disagree about the MVP. It was Carl, hands down. He is the quintessential child of the apocalypse and we are seeing his struggle as he navigates the antiquated morality of yesterday and the absolutely amoral necessities of life in the new era. In his heart he knows what is right and necessary for the world he lives in, but he still has to bow to the expectations of a parent who is loth to acknowledge the reality of a new and hopeless existence. Carl is the future of this series.
Flag
I give the MVP to Rick because all this time he was actually looking (which I never thought it was possible).
Flag
Remember when Carol practiced doing a C-Section on a zombie? Carol's the best.
Flag
Although it was not popular with many people I loved the "Great Farm Blabber of 2011"!! I don't watch watch the show to see the gore of zombie killing, but to see how humans respond to very difficult, ethical questions when every day is quiet literally a matter of life and death. There was much more character building and the human struggle of facing hard ethical decisions as the characters watched everything they believed in crumble. I think the writers are getting back to some of this same character building and tough decisions this seasons. The zombies on the fence and the mayor of Woodbury easily fall on the black side in a black and white world. Its the shades of grey that keeps this show interesting. And I agree, Hershel's line about "you can only decide what you are risking your life for" is one of the all time greatest!!! Love, love, love, the direction Carol's character is taking. And Glenn CANNOT DIE!!!!!! I don't think Rick will tell about Carol, because he basically understands, even if he is not 100% back yet. The irony of Lizzy getting sick is that the children were probably the motivation behind Carol taking suck drastic action in the first place.
More+
Flag
To me, the fact one of the children started killing everyone else was the main motivation behind Carol's actions.

If a little boy like Patrick could cause that much damage, just imagine what two adults - or more - could do as soon as the illness would kill them.
Flag
Good episode this week. And I agree Carol is definitely the strongest character this season. The only peeve I have so far is that they're still stuck in the prison. It's become tedious. Get out.
Flag
I completely forgot they were still at the prision the outbreak got so big.
Flag
I watched this ep together with last one... Man! Carol is the big bad wolf!
I spat my tea all over my keyboard when Carol stopped reading the book to the kids and pulled out the knives and what not!

Carol's character has been through an extreme make over... From pathetically meek to liberated, to a wall of pain (when she lost her kid) to tough as nails bordering on "I got nothing to lose" and 'I just want to survive and will do what it takes!"

Very nice acting from those two girls by the way: "she is not weak, she's messed up" I shiver thinking about what is coming up with those two...

I like this season!
Flag
"I just stop and think: 'What would Lori or Andrea do?' and do the complete opposite."- Carol, about being the HBIC.
Flag
Odd thing is: Carol keeps doing what Rick would've done in the exact same situation that way, scary how similar they have become for two characters that almost never interact together.
Flag
"This show is just trying to scare us. Glenn is not dying. He's not. Even if he dies, I'm going to pretend he's still alive like one of those mothers who carry their dead babies around."

Perfectly said Tim! Glenn can't die, no nope no no, it just can't happen!
Flag
I see what you did there, calling them the Small Council lol!
Flag
Getting smaller and smaller......
Flag
Who was it on the radio?
Someone from Alexandria?
Flag
Umbrella Corporation via the Arcadia lol!
Flag
I really like where the show is heading at the moment. The only thing I'm missing from the show at the moment is a little more cinema. That aspect improved in this episode but still has a ways to go.
Flag
This episode was ruled by Carol!! She is becoming awesome...she pushed that little girl, into the room with the rest of the sick people and confesed that she had burned the two bodies....and with the water thing...when she got attacked..she kicked some zombie ass there...i likey likey...
Glad that Glen is sick this episode...i am getting so sick of that guy and his staring at his girlfriend..she should be sick too, so they can be miserable together...bleh...!!!
Beth, i thought was strong in the beginning, then the poor thing cracked...
I would crack too you know, carrying all days someones his child around...
Michonne and Daryl are still my favorites....
it was pretty creepy when they suddenly got surrounded by zombies...and not a few, but dozens of them...all over the place...loved it..!!
This season is really good....! Last season it was all over the place, but now things are different...they are making jokes and showing more the human parts of the characters, then watching them run, fight, run, fight...
Flag
– Why couldn't T-Dog be around for this era? He would've been the best!!!

OMG I thought the same thing!

I know it's quite an unpopular opinion, but I never thought this show was bad in any season but this season is one of it's best, that's for sure.
Flag
I thought the same as soon as Tyrese got outta the car and started crushing skulls with a hammer. That was T-Dogs passion. He woulda loved that... RIP Dog
Flag
Great episode....
Flag
I'd just like to point out that it seems utterly pointless to torch a body when you leave a path of contaminated blood lying around...
Flag
If you want to kill the germs and do not mind about the fact that people find out tjey're killed, it's really pointfull
Flag
Then again, Carol is housewife, not a Doctor.

Three seasons ago her one responsibility was to clean Rick's shirt, not contain an outbreak or isolate the contamined. That's what characters like Dr. Jenner - or Hershel the vet - were for.
Flag
Actually, I think Carol's knife had a handle that looked like brass knuckles. Or doubled as. Which is even more badass. We're definitely going to lose one of the main-mains this season, at least, and I still have no idea who it'll be.

So, I guess it took me this long to realize Hershel has a prosthetic now. I've been bothered by the time jumps between seasons from the start and this just cements it. I had a moment of trying to figure out if they'd made a serious continuity error and that's really not acceptable with a character note that big.

Flag
I think we will loose Glen and possibly Carol.
Flag
Looked like the knife handle to me too.
Flag
I didn't like that Carol was the murderer... :( That is just such a crazy thing to do, even under the circumstances. I don't like it. It's like we can't like any of the characters anymore. There is no excuse for what she did and that's what disappoints me. Especially since it didn't even save the rest of them, it spread anyway. I will hate if everyone finds out it was her, but I will also dislike it if Rick keeps it a secret. A lose-lose scenario for me, so I didn't like that it was her. I would have preferred it to have been Bob because then they could just feed him to the zombies and all would be fine.

I don't want more season 1 characters to die, but Glenn became boring since he met Maggie. I want the season 1 Glenn back!
I just don't want Hershel to die, because I think the show needs someone who's sane and wise. He is the new Dale. A character like that is needed, or they can all just become cold murderers like Carol is now. :(
Flag
And if she hadn't killed them, maybe they'd have been in the same boat as everyone else and might have survived. I dislike that she made that kind of decision. It doesn't make sense for her to do that either. She was never that character and she always tried to help, not kill living people in cold blood.
Flag
Carol didn't kill them in cold blood. You note that Carol was always trying to help and by doing what she did she was still trying to help. I'm not saying whether what she did was right or wrong, but her motivation for it was quite obvious. After she expressed her condolences to Tyreese, she was visibly upset by what she had done. I don't believe that this was a decision she made lightly, she did what she thought was best for the group. You may not agree with her decision, and I can respect that, but to call her a cold blooded killer is just wrong.
Flag
She went into their rooms and killed them, messily and bloodily, dragged them outside, set fire to them, walked away and left them and got on with the rest of her day. wether you think she was right or not and no matter what she was thinking I'm pretty sure that meets the definition of cold blooded killing.
Flag
Cold blooded killing would be murdering just for the sake of murdering. Cold blooded killing means killing with no motive. Do you think Carol would have done it if they had not been sick? Then I could agree with you. We also don't know how sick they actually were at that point, but I would assume they were already on the brink of death. the virus appears to kill in about 24 hours or less, and they had gotten sick the day before. Even if the group makes it back with antibiotics, it would have been too late for them.
Flag
Liked it, I just can't believe that there's no gif. of Tyreese going mad on those zombies.
Flag
Tim's dedicated a whole page to it. Wish granted.
Flag
LOL at 97.1 the river being on the radio. I live not too far from the prison area and it was hilarious that my local classic rock station would pick up in the zombie apocalypse.
Flag
I'm going to disagree completely on the carol issue.. good tv yes.. but shes not bad ass shes over the line psycho.. she murdered two people and it didnt even make sense.. burning bodies can help control diseases but she went in and killed those two people.. getting up close and probably covered in their blood..how on earth was that going to stop an airborne virus? Turned out all they needed was some tea and they couldve been cured next week :)

I liked the idea of teaching the kids skills to survive but I also think the scene where she encouraged the girls to kill their father and called them weak for not wanting to was a bit disturbing..even in this survivalist world you'd try and spare friends when you could...look what killing Lori did to Carl.
Flag
Carol calling the girl weak for not being strong enough to kill her father may have been disturbing, but it's a necessary evil. If those girls had been alone with their dad and he turned then they would both be dead. You cannot compare the world we live in with a zombie apocalypse world, the same rules do not apply. Carol does what she does because she cares. I don't see her as a psycho for this, I see her as a smart and strong survivalist who will do what needs to be done to keep the group safe.
Flag
Then again, I can't really blame Carol when she exposed herself to 2 bleeding carriers to protect everyone else from a deadly illness.

Carol was talking to Patrick the very evening he died, she probably thought it was best to risk herself than to expose anyone else: this could've easily turned out with her sick or dead.
Flag
So to finish her good work, she should have killed herself right after killing the other two. You know, so that she would not spread any more of that virus.
Flag
Nice discussion (ladies? as I always assume ionee24 is a lady but don't know for sure).
Flag
oooh ok, so then she decided that killing this two people was the appropriate thing to do to save everyone from the virus, but went back to the group after being exposed herself to the virus and put everybody at risk again, because she is so nice that she wanted to save Rick and Daryl from being blamed and punished for it. Awesome. Here's an extra question for you: why would anybody be mad at them for killing these people, if that was the right thing to do?
Flag
And we're back at people figuring out Carol did it: she couldn't affor this to trace back to the Council (or Daryl or Rick).

If Carol would develop symptoms, she could always blame it on Patrick because of the day before. If Carol was found among the burned bodies, the Council would've been blamed for Karen and David.
Flag
That's right, so in order not to expose anyone else, killing herself together with the other two would have been the best move. Obviously there was nobody there trying to help her, or they would have stopped her.
Flag
The whole point was for Carol to be the only one to expose herself to the bleeding carries. The goal is not accomplished if someone else gets exposed by trying to help her.

Flag
And why would she care about them finding out? wasn't this about saving people?
Flag
That would make no sense: everyone would've figured out who did it then because, between the three of them, Carol was the only one who wasn't sick .

This way, Carol could wait until she developed the same symptoms as Karen & David to quietly kill herself in the isolation block.
Flag
Many of them care. They don't all act the same way. She was the one that resorted to killing. She's taking her decisions without consulting anyone. Tim pointed out to this individualism that is growing in "the group". He sees it as a good thing because of the potential to create drama for the show. But for that group, it is a bad thing. Her behaviour can be explained, but cannot be justified. Either in our world or in a post-apocalyptic world.
Flag
I agree that conflict within the group is best for the show, if all went smoothly we'd have nothing to watch :) As for Carol, I could understand her thinking in the scene with the girls, even if i didn't like it but the killing made no sense on any level. What was she supposed to be achieving, if she's not insane then what was her mind set supposed to be. There was no way it was going to help and it's going to cause problems and division the group can't afford at the moment. Thats not bad ass its stupid.
Flag
I agree. She's taking bad decisions. I think that happens because of thinking on her own, and not validating her reasoning by talking about it to other people of her trust.
Flag
It just occured to me, maybe it wasn't about whether they could stop the virus, but that Carol would rather expose herself to 2 bleeding carriers in order to stop it.

Carol could've ended like Patrick or Karen, long before Glenn and Sasha got sick.
Flag
Agree about Carol. This woman lost a child and she seems to have lost her way too - she has started to take decisions on her own that are potentially controversial without counting with anybody, not even Rick. First it was teaching the children about the knives, which we could still see as useful. But killing these two and burning the bodies was just not ok. I think Michone is bad ass... but Carol is crazy.
Flag
Interesting to think why they might be different. Both have lost (at least) a child and both were not really communicative about it. Why did one bacome bad ass and the other crazy? For me the term badass is more compatible for both then crazy.
Flag
The knives lessons are the main reason I believe Rick already suspected of Carol before he figured it out. Its the same thing he did with Lori: Rick had this plan to keep her safe and then...and then they would fill the dots I guess.

Tyreese had just threaten the person who did this, and Rick had this plan to keep her safe, all over again.
Flag
Carol is a housewife, not a Doctor.

Its easy to forget now she goes for a run with Rick, teaches how to handle knives or held a Council with Hershel and Co., but there was a time when Carol's only responsibility was to do the laundary.
Flag
if she was a housewife, I dare say she did have a good bunch of responsibilities
Flag
And yet Rick only adressed Carol to find out how she removed the stain from his shirt back then.

I don't even remember an instance in which they were talking about themselves until this very episode.
Flag
I'm glad there is more of a focus on characters this season, I don't really care enough about the characters at the moment so hopefully this will change. Apart from Daryll I couldn't care less who dies. I guess this is why I found this episode a bit on the boring side. For me a lot of damage has been done to these characters in the previous season. For example, Glenn and Maggie I used to love, but the writers pretty much ruined them last season by making them redundant, and 3 episodes this season hasn't been enough to redeem them, so it's hard to be invested in them. On the plus side Rick is getting less annoying and Carol finally has a point apart from creepily hanging around Daryll (I would be very anti a Carol/Daryll romance).
It's funny how many comments are about Carol being psychotic and that she murdered two innocent people.... I'm with Carol here. I'd shoot anyone with a sniffle straight between the eyeballs and then light a pyre. This isn't our world. This an apocalyptic, zombie infested, disease ridden, cesspool of a world. And it's kill or be killed, survival of the fittest. Look out for your pose Carol, who've been with you since the start, but everyone else...
More+
Flag
Flaws or not, this has been the most consistent season since the 1st, and I give all the credit to new show-runner Scott Gimple. Looking back at the episodes he wrote/directed they were among the best - if not the best - of the series. I'm truly excited to see how the show in his hands unfolds. On another note, I read the comics religiously and am equally as interested to see where they're going with the flu epidemic storyline considering it wasn't in the comics - how it will tie back in to the TWD comic-verse. We already know Abraham is showing up this season, which I'm uber pumped for - but how they're going to connect the dots from here to there intrigues me. My one complaint, and I know we're only a handful of episodes in, is that in the comics they were barely at the prison, in comparison to how drawn the story arc has been on the show. At the rate the show is going it's going to be on the air for a decade and still won't be caught up (which I'd be okay with!!) - I'm just concerned that some of my favorite and possibly the most interesting parts of the comics will get left out of the show because they're not "action packed" enough, despite being top notch material.
More+
Flag
Really like what Gimple's done so far but I wouldn't be handing out any most consistent awards til way past the 3rd ep. Unless he brings back Lennie James next week. Then i'll schedule the ceremony for Monday afternoon. Also good to see another Kirkman written ep - 1st since the midseason finale.
Flag
Wow, I have to say this is the first episode in a long time that I have no complaints or critiques. None. This feels weird. Carol was revealed a little early. And when she had that conversation I called it like Tim did. But overall this was a fantastic 40+- of television. Well done TWD.

And now we get to find out truly if this is just a good show or a great show. Glenn is beloved. He is a fantastic member of the group and has been pretty essential up until this point. Many shows have had this moment. Whether or not to kill a beloved character. Some have done it, some have not and the quality of the show has suffered ever since (SOA big time). Will they kill Glenn or not? I have to say I am conflicted because Glenn is one of the few characters I haven't had any problems with, aside from stupidly letting them hang him down a well. But I kind of enjoy his character, he is smart and gets things done and is generally pretty adept at this. It would be tough to see him go. But on the other hand, kill him. Show that no one is safe from the apocalypse and be that great show that you can be.
More+
Flag
I'm not completely in love with this season, every time Hershel says to Rick the council is meeting to discuss this or that ...blah blah.. my eyes roll and tune out. Even when the stakes are high it comes across like some monotone overdressed Padme in Star Wars "My people are dying Senator" meh! see you at the high council banquet to discuss your planetary issues.

I miss Merle, all the repulsive, capable, ruthless survivors with hearts of gold are gone. Who else would save some people and then get dirty looks when later rummaging through their stuff? Too many hero's and hero speeches doth spoil the broth. Carol would be the new Merle but her actions aren't self serving enough haha!

So Carol is guilty, why am I so suspicious of Bob like the reviewer? Is he too eager to help in a ZA? Is it because he is only moderate to weak in zombie killing? Is it his lack of survival ability when trapped under a wine shelf? Things are individual and each in their own head but where is Bob at?
Flag
I am in the same denial as you, Tim. Glen is NOT DYING!!! He's my FAVORITE! I swear, if they off him, I'll be a grieving widow for weeks.
Flag
I'm kinda sad about Dr. S, I want him to stick around. It'd be cool to have a real doctor/scientist that could segueway into more interesting stuff about the pathos of the zombie virus if they ever found a lab or lab equipment or something.
Flag
Great to see that they decided to go on a scavenging run! Epic masse of walkers at the city... Good luck with getting the meds!
My guess that Tyreese was the angel of mercy in the sick ward proved wrong.
Kudos to Carol to pick up the wings and play that part. Can't see why she made such mess of it, though.
The nerve is back in TWD!
Flag
TWD is really doing well so far, I am praying with you Tim it continues. As with GOT, this is a show that just might killed anybody off but I am again praying Glenn is not one of them. I am second praying Hershel is not too but he is a more likely possibility.

With the rate the show is going on, I do not even mind if the Governor do not turn up at all.

TWD is a show that keep changing show runners but it had shown that it has improved by doing so. Many characters have been explored more this season which is really good. I guess many hope it will not give incentive for network management on some other shows to do the same.
Flag
Love this episode -- but when Tyreese was visibly upset at Karen's death, why did Rick and Daryl try to calm him down by touching him? Hint: that only produces the opposite effect. Haven't we seen enough TV to know that a highly agitated, wild-eyed, volatile character comes out swinging when someone attempts human contact? I get that it was set-up to film a fight scene (unearthing built-up emotions to the surface, and all that), but still.
Flag
We know, but Rick and Daryl haven't seen any television over a long period of time. You can't blame them they didný know.
Flag
I fear Rick did it on purpose, he's a cop so he should've known how Tyreese was going to react, but then again, he's a cop and he was pretty straightforward about Carol for someone who didn't have a clue.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Rick already suspected of her and he engaged into a fight to distract Tyreese from the culprint.
Flag
Hmm - that never occurred to me (Rick's motive). TWD fans are so wise--
Flag
So far so good, 3 episodes in and never a dull moment with TWD's season 4. It really seems that at least for now the show learned from its mistakes, and is focusing on its strengths, and for that so far I'd want to pat Mr Gimple on his back and hope streak of awesomeness last to the end of the season and for most of the episodes. And since the show is at its best when there is some good ol' danger, e.g. group or part of t on the move and surrounded by walkers, I'm lovin' every moment of the three episodes and am hungry for more.
Love how this new season treats show's main characters. Remember, everyone was complaining about shitty Andrea last season. Duh, I think she just had to step down and to make place for the awesome kick-ass Carol. Who knew she had THAT much of badassery in her, huh? Even Beth in her resinged 'no more tears, just work to do' is so much better than her trying to either commit suicide or sing a song. So another plus here. And Michonne, well, she's got a sense of humour now and is more human than ever. So yeah, I love that too, as long as she cracks a joke and still chops some heads of :)
More+
Flag
Carol = Big Ass-Kicker
Flag
Pretty much agree with this review, but two notes, Tim. 1) You might have a point about questioning if Rick would really survive Tyreese's punches and remain conscious, but as far as him getting up and kicking Tyreese's ass, at that point Daryl was holding Tyreese back and his arms were pinned. Rick started wailing on a defeneless Tyreese. So assuming he COULD get up, yeah, it made sense that he then proceeded to whip some ass. If Tyreese were unimpeded....yeah, I'm not sure Rick wins that fight. 2) I like Michone, but the show REALLY needs to hire a sword master and get her some training or something. Her sword swinging mechanics are AWFUL and it looks pathetic on screen. Her strokes would barely get through butter, much less a foot of zombie flesh. They're slow and she short-arms a lot of them. I expect more realism out of a show of this quality. It's a small complaint, but it's just a little thing that takes me out of of the moment. Get the swordmaster from the old Highlander TV show or something. Adrian Paul was a friggin' dancer and model, but he learned how to do sword scenes like a MFing CHAMP. If Michone is going to be a badass with a sword, she needs to LOOK like a badass with a sword.
More+
Flag
I'm sure the character Michonne before the the change never used a sword so would think that someone untrained in the art should know how to swing a sword... that's the way I look at it anyway...
Flag
Technically, it's never mentioned that Michonne is supposed to be any kind of a professional sword master so it would be totally believable that she doesn't in fact, handle the sword like a professional. In the comics she had fenced as a child, and I believe again for a short while while in college, which certainly would not qualify her as a professional.
Flag
Oh, also forgot to mention, the show's guest on last week's Talking Dead follow-up said that the zombie mega-herd that Daryl/Michone/Tyreese/Bob encountered was 7,500 zombies.
Flag
Poll

And seriously? How did Hersheys and little boy number 1 not see the tent 50 feet away? I guess they were talking about the camo zombie... that was cool.

Overall great episode, I highly enjoyed it.
I kept expecting Bob to die. Guess they're saving that for next episode... after all, SOMEBODY has to be the zombie fodder. XD
Flag
Yeah, the crash was only a first moment of them into crashing into thousands of zombies. What a great visual it was.

But, that it also was huge to hear that voice from the radio. What an opportunity! Happy to find out who or what is behind that voice. Will it be the governor?
Flag
SPOLIER ALERT

Bob is a series regular now he will not die this season at least
Flag
OK, so maybe I'm seeing things, but it seems to me that Michonne and Rick have kind of a "thing", and we all know about Carol and Daryl.

So what if the writers have Michonne and Daryl happen? Like, something on this trip makes them turn toward each other?

And how might that effect Rick and Carol, who are clearly now hardened and always verging on insane?

Good drama.
Flag
Actually, I'm beginning to see the hints of a thing for Carol coming from Rick's direction...

He notices an awful lot for someone who isn't looking at her in a certain way: that she would or wouldn't do, how much that she has sacrificed, that she has done a lot for us the kids already (its almost as if he was talking about himself rather than the group).

It could be nothing, but I can't shake it off
Flag
I LOVE this season, and Carol. I'm so glad that the annoying characters of Andrea and Lori have gone the way of the eaten and are no longer annoying me, but even more, I am THRILLED that they didn't turn anyone else into a brain sucked moron. Thank you writers.

My one major problem? THIS is the zombie apocalypse. There is a flu or something virus KILLING people and making new zombies. CAN NO ONE COVER THEIR FREAKING MOUTHS? I mean the freaking DOCTOR coughed BLOOD onto Hershel! You're an MD dude? My two year old covers her mouth when she coughs. AND on that note, if it is a FLU it is a virus and antibiotics are useless. So... you'd think the MD's would know that too.

Carol is freaking awesome. I know she tried to contain the virus by killing and burning the sick. It makes sense. Guess she should have tried to teach people the common manners of covering their mouths!
Flag
Jeez I have this concern in the real world, I work in customer service and wonder the same thing or why people can't stay the hell home and away from me and others if they're sick. I was taught when I was young to cover my mouth but I see it less and less these days, in bathrooms I see people don't even wash their hands anymore, I guess walking dead just reflects real life in that disgusting way.
Flag
Hahahaha! Gosh, I hope not. I cover my mouth all the time!!! (And I too have this concern!)
Flag
The 2 bodies she seemed really eager to go in tank..right after that fake cough..but I give it one mire season to cancellation also...I think a lot of fans will face reality not knocking them..I was once a huge fan...but they are making us have to suspend more and more belief and common sense..Now the airwaves are working..I been saying it's not like they are the only people alive..so as I said it makes more sense fir them to be on the move looking for a cure
Flag
Before this episode me and my girls (9 and 11) saw The Brideof Chucky. It was more entretainment. For the first time in this season I felt like back in Hershels farm. Too much boring parts, too little action or suspence. 5 minutes of great action between Carol outside the fence and Darry. michonne, Tyrese y the doctor on the road. Thats it. I enjoy dialogue episodes, like the one with the governor and Rick negociating, but this one? Not that much... Hope the 4th is better...
Flag
I honestly expected you to make a .gif out of the tires spinning. A bit disappointed there.
Flag
Great episode. I love the development of the characters this season. Not sure what Rick is going to do now that Carol has confessed that she killed Karen and David, and while I can believe she did do it, part of me wonders if she is protecting someone else (one of the little girls). I also wonder if Karen and David were actually dead when they were burned - when Rick was studying the doorframe it looked like it could have been the either the hand of the person dragging the bodies or the hand of one of the people being dragged trying to survive. Either way, very intriguing mystery. And the fact that Rick now knows this information and has to decide what he will do with it makes it even more interesting. Does he tell Herschel, Tyrese, Daryl and Michonne? How will they react? I can understand why Carol did it (if she really did), she was trying to protect the people by stopping the virus from spreading, although it didn't work at all, but her actions will DEFINITELY have serious repercussions. Who is she to decide who lives and dies? When do you make the decision to kill someone? What do you do with her now? Tyrese is going to want her to pay for what she did.

Also what is up with Carl? Telling Herschel he can't let him leave. Bitch please. I see that Rick's sheriff hat has made its return along with the gun. Does this mean psycho Carl is coming back? I loved Herschel's monologue - lets have him give do one every other episode. Loved the scene with Michonne, Daryl, Bob and Tyrese going to search for medicine. It was a great scene to see all those zombies coming at them from the college, and the panic in them trying to get away. Michonne and Daryl got a little chemistry and nice banter going - I like, keep it coming. Not sure what to make of Bob just yet, I feel like he could be a plant from the Governor but I also feel that would be too obvious. I wish people would cover their mouths when they are coughing up blood - that was nasty when Dr. S sneezed in Herschel's face. Overall great episode, the lives of everyone is still pretty much up in the air since so many people are getting sick, quarantine isn't working all that well - and with someone feeding rats to zombies, someone else taking out the sick, and zombies (and the Governor) looming who knows what will happen next. Can't wait!

More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members