A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

If you're alive, heck even if you're dead, there's a good chance that you watched the Season 4 premiere of AMC's The Walking Dead. We all knew Season 4 would debut huge, but the numbers released today are still impressive: 16.1 million viewers watched the zombie drama *BOING eyeballs pop out of sockets*, crushing the series' previous personal best and reasserting itself as television's biggest scripted series, cable or otherwise. Also, it seems that the further you are from dying, the more likely it is that you watched: The 18-49-year-old audience for the premiere was 10.4 million viewers, an absolutely ridiculous number. 

The Walking Dead's previous best belongs to the Season 3 finale, which drew 12.4 million viewers and 8.1 million 18-49ers. Considered a super smash back then, last night's stats make us wonder just how far this cable show can go. We're no longer comparing The Walking Dead to scripted shows from major networks, we're now comparing it to primetime NFL games; early numbers for NBC's Sunday-night airing of the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins game have it at around 19.65 million total viewers, and in its press release, AMC says The Walking Dead outperformed football in the important 18-49 demo. Wow. Plus, the network expects DVR and on-demand viewing to push the premiere to more than 20 million total viewers. 

The Walking Dead picked a great time to draw its biggest audience, too. "30 Days Without an Accident" was a revitalized effort from the unsteady show, thanks in large part to new showrunner Scott Gimple. I don't know about you, but I thought it was awesome and I really hope it continues to improve. And please kill all those new bratty little girls!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 11/30/2014

Season 5 : Episode 8

93 Comments
Follow this Show
Members