A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
I'm not sure do I qualify as a fan of The Walking Dead... For God's sake, the only reason I started to watch the show was quite literally because it had zombies. It served as a 'reset' button for me. I could just turn on the TV and watch without thinking about character development etc.

But I found out that there are a lot of reasons why I actually watch this show. I don't think it's as bad as some people say it is, I don't think it's even close to being the best show on TV. It's like the Big Bang Theory of drama. I wouldn't say it sucks, I enjoy it but I have absolutely no idea why it's one of the most popular shows on TV. That being said, 4th season has 3 episodes left, and while I have mostly enjoyed this season, I have a few problems with it as well.

1. Maggie and Glenn ”The Couple” (and their groups)

Maggie and Glenn were separated during the last half of this season. They understandably have been trying to get to each other ever since, I have no problem with that (provides some direction for the characters). I know that the show has limited amount of time to tell what the people are thinking and feeling and that Maggie and Glenn are one of the most popular characters in the show. But I have to say that they should have reached each other already. Maggie doesn't seem to give a shit about her sister Beth (at least compared to the amount of shits she gives about Glenn). Then there's Glenn... I don't remember the girl's name... The girl Glenn saved in the prison and who saved him when he passed out? I think her sister's name was Lilly. I mean... I think that a character who tries to make amends for siding with the Governor would be interesting. So far I can't remember her name. But I guess the writers are going to focus on her when she's about to die. So... I hope she dies soon so because there is potential for good character moments? What...

2. The Character centric episodes have been a failure for the most part.

I like it when The Walking Dead makes an episode that provides great character growth or character drama. ”Still” is my favorite episode of this ”Gotta get to Terminus” arc (”Claimed” coming after that). It had little to no zombie action and most importantly, the episode had a lot of great character moments, most of which are listed in Tim's review of the episode, I think... There has been one character centric episode that I actually thought to be great during this half of the season. And considering that many of this season's second half's episodes have been more about the characters than not... I'd say it's not been so successful.

3. This is nitpicking for the most part... I felt like Lizzie killing the bunnies was a bit too much... As if the viewers didn't realize that something's wrong with Lizzie when she almost suffocated the baby. What's her name? Oh God... I should really concentrate when watching this show. But back to the point. The show's underlining of how messed up Lizzie is, is like playing a video game that walks you through everything... ”Press ”W” to walk (because PC Master Race!). Move the mouse around to look around. ”This is a game, you should not enlist in the army if you are good at this game”. But as I said... Nitpicking. I guess most of the viewers didn't think that the disturbing look in Lizzie's eyes when keeping Judith? (YEAH! I remembered!) quiet wasn't enough of a sign.

4. The ”giving depth to a character and immediately thrust the character to peril/killing him/her.”

I shouldn't have been surprised that Beth would face a life/death situation immediately after the episode that spend most of the time strengthening the bond between her and Daryl and giving more depth to the characters. This happened when the moustache prisoner (I can pretty much name all the POV characters from AsoIaF from the top of my head but for the love of God... I'm lucky to remember Rick's name at times) started getting screentime and died pretty much in the same scene. The 'black prisoner' agreed to help with freeing people from Woodbury... Died during the trip. It's almost like the writers didn't want to develop the characters before killing them. I'm not at all surprised if Bob* and Sasha die from a meteor in the next episode. Maybe a bit. But the point is... You could develop the character from the get go, not at the last moment just before the life and death situation.

*Bob is quite literally the best name during an apocalypse... Ever. Just think about it... If you're called 'The Governor' or 'The Mayor' or 'The President' or any other political title during an apocalypse, you're a bad guy. The minute I hear that you're called 'The Inquisitor' (though isn't that rather infamous title already?), I'll run to the opposite direction... But Bob...

”Hiya! My name's Bob. I'll give you two options; you can join me, obey me and sacrifice yourself for me or get flayed alive. Welcome to the Abobalypse, I am your lord and savior OR your judge, jury, and executioner, are we clear? Now go fetch me a vest made from human skin.”

So that's it actually. I thought I had more problems with the show.

TL;DR
  • If two character are a couple, make sure that both of the characters can be described as something else than ”The boyfriend” or ”the girlfriend” and that they have more to live for rather than only each other. Both Glenn and Maggie most likely have something to live for other than each other but the show is not showing it enough.
  • When you make a character centric episode, focus on those character you wish to develop, and don't try to develop too many character in one episode. The weakest part of ”Claimed” was the hide and seek with Rick and the random bandit group because it took away from learning about Michonne IMO.
  • Don't rely on the clichés and don't hold the viewer's hand, they can think for themselves... For the most part...
  • Develop characters from the very first moment we meet them. Don't make them spill out what makes them tick when someone has them in their crosshairs. It's dull.
  • And what I realized during writing this article... If I can't remember a character's name, I would go as far as to say that he/she is not nearly as well developed as he/she should be.
Okay. That's it. And remember, even though I focused on the bad stuff, doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the show and that I'm bashing it or anything. The show is just okay for what it is, these are just the things that bother me.

What kind of problems does this community have with the show? And just to keep the conversation a bit positive as well... What surprised you positively? I was positively surprised by "Clear", because I didn't really think that TWD could deliver as powerful of an episode with an emphasis on characters and without anyone dying.
Comments (41)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If you want to be taken seriously as a TWD show reviewer, you need to use the names of the characters. That being said I'm a huge fan of the show and forget some of the minor character names too (but I can recite all of the Game of Thrones characters also! :))

You brought up a great point about Maggie and Beth. She is so focused on finding Glen and she would be focused on finding her sister and Glen. The episode where she searches the bus, she is so relieved to not find Glen, but she never says anything about not finding Beth. I totally didn't even think about that until you mentioned it.

I also agree with the name 'Bob'.... although we're introduced to the character named 'Joe' that Daryl meets, and for some reason I don't think this is going to be that nice of a guy.

I thought Rick almost being killed from the random bandit group was great. It reinforces the threat of human beings other than the 'walkers'.
Flag
A few months late to reply. Everytime I see a notification concerning this particular article I tend to avoid it. People tend to get really touchy if you make a post critisizing a show they like. Which I find logical but ultimately ridiculous. There was one comment on this post that basically just said that if I don't like the show I shouldn't watch it. "Some problems..." is appearently the equal of "I fucking hate this show so fucking much". Sorry about that!

To the actual reply: I don't want to be taken seriously as a reviewer! Oh, God, never! I will never do a pure review of anything anymore (nor will I make a post like this because my opinions are wrong -_-). Ever. A recap is more my style. I also said that I'm not sure if I count as a fan of the show but TWD is still one of the only shows that I watch when it airs so I'm atleast a casual fan.

The thing with Maggie and Glenn... That was the biggest flaw in season 4B in my opinion. It rendered Maggie so unlikable in my books. Maggie and Beth are "only" halfsisters but a few concerned lines about her would have gone a long way...

I did enjoy the part where the bandits almost killed Rick but I think that when TWD focuses on a single aspect, it provides better episodes. 'The Grove' was a slow episode that solely focused on the characters. It was absolutely fantastic and earned Melissa McBride a Critic's Choice nomination, I think.

Sorry that it took this long to answer and thanks for the comment :) It's kind of hard to get excited about the notifications from this post when most of them have been negative. Or then it just feels like it, haha!
More +
Flag
"I'm not sure do I qualify as a fan of The Walking Dead... For God's sake, the only reason I started to watch the show was quite literally because it had zombies."

If you want to be taken seriously as a commenter on a TWD show reviewer's not-a-review, you need to read the content of the opinion piece.
Flag
They had already said that they didn't want to be taken seriously as a reviewer. This post is a waste of people's time.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The problem I have with this article is how lazy the author is there is a page on tv.com listing all the characters and actors names with pictures. So not knowing their names is no fn excuse.
Flag
Eddard Stark, Arya Stark, Sansa Stark, Bran Stark, Catelyn, Jon Snow, Davos, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Daenerys Targaryen, Barristan Selmy, Samwell Tarly, Arianne Martell, Brienne, Areo Hotah, Theon Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy, Aeron Greyjoy, Asha Greyjoy, Melisandre, Arys Oakheart, Quentyn Martell + other epilogue/prologue POV character including but not limited to Kevan Lannister, Varamyr Sixskins, Pate and Maester Cressen.

Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Doran Martell, the Red Viper, Ellaria Sand, Podrick, Rickon Stark, Osha, Drogo, Missandei, Daario, Euron Greyjoy, Stannis Baratheon, Shireen Baratheon, Selyse Baratheon, Rickard Karstark, Ramsay Bolton, Roose Bolton, Margaery Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Willas Tyrell, Olenna Tyrell.

I admit that I was a bit lazy when writing this article but god dammit... Game of Thrones has plenty of small side characters that are far more memorable than TWD characters that have been around for half a season. So okay. I'm lazy, but it's not like TWD has done a fabulous job at making most of the characters all that memorable.
Flag
I can't believe that you didn't mention Hodor. ^^
Flag
The title of this article is quite clear. If people have problems with other's opinions then they shouldn't read it. I don't agree with most of it but I read it because I was curious. I agree mostly with the Maggie and Glenn part. I liked the Maggie and Glenn story very much until season 4B. It's worn itself out. It's no longer two people finding love in a messed up world. Now it's two selfish peolpe who don't care a damn about anything but their love.
Flag
Sorry that it took this long to reply! A lot of the comments were a tad negative and I was already mostly disappointed with this article so I just skimmed the notifications that I got from this article.

This is what makes me hate people. The article clearly says that these are some problems "I" had with the season 4B. It's always risky to do this kind of an article, people love their favorite shows and vehemently defend those shows when they think that they are under attack. Which is ridiculous if you ask me... But still, I never said that this show sucks and I make it clear in the end that I like the show.

I appreciate the fact that despite that you disagree with most of my post you still didn't post a "If ya don't like it don't watch it" comment. It seems that a show can either be a piece of garbage or a masterpiece that you can't criticise ever... This article really frustrated me, sorry! And thanks for the comment.
Flag
Hey no problem, I never expected to get a reply.... So true about garbage or a masterpiece that you can't criticise, lol. I don't look for errors or illogic in a tv series but sometimes it just jumps in my face and I can't help noticing it. When I discuss it with my friends, they defend it and come up with a "rational" explanation. Lmao. Dead is a very cool series, but it is far from perfect. Nothing in this world is 100% perfect... When will they get it?
Flag
Nothing is perfect, I agree. Defending a favorite TV-show is a lot more logical than defending a company (console wars, the most idiotic thing ever) but I still think that people should have a healthy "I love this show but I know that someone might dislike it, and it's okay!" attitude.

The producers of The Walking Dead won't send anyone gift baskets if they tell a "hater" to go "suck it" . And those comments are the only ones I dislike. I feel like I have to say that here so it doesn't seem like I just ignore everyone who has a different opinion than me.

TWD is indeed a cool series and I will continue to watch it of course. Despite my problems with the show, it still provides episodes like "The Grove" which blow my mind and I can tolerate Maggie being the worst sister ever for those episodes.
Flag
You haven't read the comics, have you? If you had you wouldn't have said half the things you have.

If you have, re-read them.
Flag
You haven't heard of opinions have you? If you had you wouldn't have said that thing you said.

If you have, check the definition.

But seriously. I read them until Negan whom I found to be as interesting as a wooden plank. Currently I have no plans on continuing to read the comics but who knows. Maybe at some point I will.
Flag
Did you like the comics?

They focus on couples and sometimes on single characters, and it works.

Lizzie has a counterpart in the comics. One of those kids Dale and Andrea adopt. And Carl kills him, that's not a little too much?

Yes, giving depth to the character and then killing them is a cheap shot. It's supposed to be a drama. With Game of Thrones it is the same story, in the books and the TV show. And we mostly like it when the story is well told.

Beth's not going to die right now. She's going to have an affair with Darryl THEN she'll die. And we're going to be pissed off again because we're going to be starting to like her. But it's better than having her killing herself.

I utterly agree on the Bob thing.

As most shows on TV, TWD is going to reach an unbearably dull point where it'll have to be canceled.

But if you're saying the things you have regardless of the fact that it's an adaptation. I agree with you.
Flag
Maggie and Glenn are one of the most popular characters in the show. But I have to say that they should have reached each other already

I think you might be missing the point of separating them in the first place. Maggie & Glenn aren't any more imporant to the story than any other character, though if they keep to form, we're due for a Glenn centric episode. I do however like the idea of a little inner conflict between Tara and the idea that Maggie is dead. Nothin' wrong with a little old fashioned soap drama.

The Character centric episodes have been a failure for the most part.

There are no words in the English language that could convey how much I disagree with this statement. There have been since expisode since the return, 5 of them I would put in the series' top 10. We've learned more about the key players in those 5 episodes than we have since their introduction. I'll take character development over finding some stupid excuse to put them in danger so the FX department can show off their "zombie kill of the week".

I felt like Lizzie killing the bunnies was a bit too much

I don't have a problem with the end result of Lizzie or the effect it had on Tyreese and Carol. I don't however much care for the path taken to get to that point since I think it's fully of what plagued TWD prior to the 2nd half of season 4...lazy writing, character stupidity and continuity problems.

If two character are a couple, make sure that both of the characters can be described as something else than ”The boyfriend” or ”the girlfriend” and that they have more to live for rather than only each other.

What other couples on this show don't fall into that criteria?

When you make a character centric episode, focus on those character you wish to develop, and don't try to develop too many character in one episode.

We're down to 2 or 3 characters per episode playing directly off of each other in a format you already don't like and you want to reduce that number? Monologues all around then.

Don't rely on the clichés and don't hold the viewer's hand, they can think for themselves... For the most part...

Then you're watching the WRONG show because cliches is what this show does best. But if you don't like cliches, then you should love the second half of season 4 because the number of cliches, most often absurd, are way down.

Develop characters from the very first moment we meet them.

Prior to the second half, there was very little development of any kind regardless of whether they were new or not. Another reason why you should like the 2nd half more.

If I can't remember a character's name, I would go as far as to say that he/she is not nearly as well developed as he/she should be.

Then you should barely know anybody's name since this show SUCKED at character development from the season 2 premier until it came back from break.
More+
Flag
You do raise a lot of good points. Especially about Maggie and Glenn (and the fact that if I don't want clichés I shouldn't watch this show). I actually wrote a longer comment and erased it after I realised something fairly obvious. Glenn hasn't been in the last 3 episodes and I think that's why I'm so hard on the 'Maggie looking for Glenn and vice versa' storyline. It has seriously been going on for just one episode for Glenn (during the first Glenn episode, he just tried to get out of the prison I think) but the fact that it has been a single episode in six episodes made me think that it has been going on for longer. So yeah... I admit that I'm wrong on that one.

I love the fact that season 4B is more character driven, but in my opinion the episodes aren't all that fulfilling most of the times. It seems like most of the episodes have the one storyline that I enjoy. The one where characters develop. And then there's the other one where they just throw action at you. Perfect example would be 'Claimed'. Good character moments for Michonne and Carl, action for Rick. While I understand that it would have seemed illogical to leave Rick out of the episode to include the likes of Tara, Abraham and his posse, I would have actually liked it more. Though many of the show's... Facebook fans complain how slow season 4B has been so in a way I understand the need for action and suspense. I don't really mind the slow character episodes, but I guess a lot of the casual viewers do.

Sorry for not addressing all of your points. It's mostly because I think that you have better points than I do and trying to argue against them would be counterproductive. I still have some problems with season 4B! So you haven't converted me completely ("Wololo!"... Ah... Dat reference!)
More +
Flag
There have been a couple Glenn/Maggie moments, but until Rick & Carl, Michonne, Maggie, Darryl/Beth and now Carol/Tyreese...there hasn't been a Glenn-centric episode. He got 15 minutes during the forgettable Inmates and a little more when that whole army group and doctor gave their introductions as to who they were. Glenn doesn't have others from the group to play off, but there could be a whole new angle with him opening up to Tara to give the same kind of perspective we've gotten from everybody else...and if a spark or two flies, even better ;)

If I'm honest, if you like character development/studies, I don't understand what fulfillment you're missing. I definitely don't understand this notion of "one".

After and Claimed could almost be considered a two part story that delve deep into Rick, Michonne and Carl. They provide more insight, context and background into those three characters than the total combined development of every episode up till then. Still did the same for Darryl and Beth. Alone actually started the very process you mentioned of developing both Bob and Sasha (for pretty much the first time) and further explored Maggie's head space. The Grove obviously did the same for Tyreese, Carol and the girls. Every episode goes DEEP by TWD standards into a minimum of two main characters. The only exception being Inmates, which bounces around 4 separate groups and IMO is the one episode from 4B which REALLY doesn't work. There were too many targets and they couldn't focus enough on one to get anything accomplished other than, "Okay, here's where everybody's at".

I've never had much sympathy for those fans who complain about slow. While perhaps it makes me a snob...or just a dick, I just presume that they want their action and zombies and don't care about anything else...their entertainment level are dictated by how simple the story is. On those occasions where I've heard producers and writers talk about catering to the fans, it makes me cringe since I know they're about to dumb things down.

Points are points, no need to argue since they're just opinions, and on something as subjective as visual art...there's no wrong. Even though anybody claiming episodes prior to 4B (as a whole) are better is clearly wrong ;)
More +
Flag
Slow is fine most of the times! I find myself appalled when someone says that they didn't like The Grove because it was slow. In my opinion the episode was flawless. The start was a bit too slow but it paid off.

Sometimes slow is not fine. Second season was mediocre at best. But I have liked most of the 4B season. I think that the fact that they have divided the group and focus on small groups has made a lot of the characters... Characters. Sasha was pretty much 'Tyreese's sister' up until Alone. While Tara hasn't received any of the character development that Beth, Sasha, Bob, Daryl, Carol and Tyreese have received, I think that she will get her share of it in the last two episodes.

I know I might be contradicting myself more and more with each comment but I think that this article is a bit misleading in a way (of course I focus on the problems when the title of the article is what it is. IF it was "What I love about season 4B" the tone would be totally different).
It doesn't help that I wrote this whole thing in a hurry and I really don't use English anywhere else except at TV.com.

And I might add: points are points but at times it's fun to discuss and, in a civilized manner, "argue" with other people. Then again... If the other person is the basic "You're wrong and your mom is fat" type of a Youtube commenter, it does lose some of its magic. Luckily those kinds of people aren't so vocal at this site :)
More +
Flag
Who cares? It's just a TV Show give it a break or don't watch.
Flag
Article is a bit of a babble if you ask me. :) If i have to recommend one thing to the writers of TWD...that would be: SOMEBODY GIVE GLENN HIS BALLS BACK!! wtf dude...as soon as he hooked up with Missy, he's been 'cat'whipped and useless.
Flag
Article really sucks, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it...LMAO
Flag
Bit of a slow season until we got to The Grove, great episode.
I love how you and Tim can do nothing but bash a show for 3 pages and then end with "it doesn't mean I don't like it" I thought you were critic's, pick a dam side! Sign of the times when no one will commit to anything..grow up!
Flag
Nah. I just think that if I like something, I can't have issues with it. Game of Thrones is my favorite show and I have massive criticism towards how the showrunners have adapted some of the characters and how they divide the screentime between these characters... Still my favorite show.

I end three pages of "bashing" with "...but I like it" simply because... I like it. I just don't think it's this flawless masterpiece and is therefore above any and all criticism.

Why does Tim end three pages of "bashing" with a similar note? I don't know... Most likely because of the same reason or it could be that he doesn't want to make the hardcore fans mad. And that would be idiotic. No one would return weekly to write a long review of a show one doesn't enjoy... However I don't know the man, I don't know his motivations.

Here's a few things that I really enjoy about TWD:
  • Some of the characters are really great.
    • Some of the actors and actresses are great. Melissa McBride really shone in 'the Grove' and Chad Coleman was pretty good as well.
  • The action is the best action on TV in my opinion.
  • When TWD decides to provide a depressing and crushing episode it usually succeeds. When TWD wants to provide a zombie massacre, it succeeds everytime.
  • I like the general atmosphere. Apocalypse seems to be interesting to most people and I'm not different.
  • There are a lot of interesting character dynamics going on at the moment. Carol and Tyreese, Glen and the newcomers, Daryl and Beth.
  • Most of the characters have done something morally questionable, making the gray. I love gray characters.
    • And yet most of the main cast are pretty sympathetic at the same time, making them even better.
There's a lot more to that list as well. Those are just the main reasons why I continued to watch the show. And I'm not a critic. Just a viewer who made a post.
More +
Flag
I have a problem with sasha and bob not that interesting characters and could do with getting rid off, rest of the cast is more developed.
Flag
Why should Glen and Maggie have found each other all ready? You don't specifically say why... Anyway, like you said, I'm not minding their separation as it gives their characters a sense of purpose, but logically speaking (and I do understand the irony of applying logic to a series that features zombies) if it were reality chances are after being separated that Glen and Maggie would never see each other again, but of course, this is television, so that won't happen. Good point about Beth though, I sort of forgot they were sisters, so yeah, it seems odd Maggie hasn't mentioned her. As for Sarah, I'm sure that they'll get back to her character (there's definitely a redeeming story to tell there), but I hope that writers don't once again decide to give a character some great character development only to kill them, it's becoming a disturbing pattern with the series.

I don't disagree that because of the way the writers have decided to separate the characters that it has resulted in some hit or miss episodes this half of the season, for me personally I've enjoyed it more than not. Tonight's episode, 'The Grove' has instantly become not only my favourite of the season, but for the entire series. 'After' and 'Still' have been the worst for me so far, the main problem being that these episodes only focused on one group each, making for tedious viewing. 'Inmates' and 'Claimed' worked a lot better for me because it focus on several groups, so when one storyline may not have been enough to keep me entertained, there were others that did, and I quite enjoyed last week's 'Alone'. I completely understand how viewers could hate this second half of season four though, it really is just a matter of taste.

What they did with Lizzie was necessary, particularly after tonight's episode, so I don't see a problem with how her character was set-up.

And yeah, like we both mentioned, strong character development followed by an immediate death is becoming worrying, hear's hoping it doesn't continue to happen.
More+
Flag
If Maggie and Glen would find each other, they wouldn't be the 'couple trying to reconnect' and would start to think about the rest of the group. But yeah, I have little to no problems with Glen furiously trying to find Maggie, but as I said.. Maggie's lack of concern towards her sister is, in my opinion, bad writing. But I "love" logic and realism so I'd be just fine if the writers gave us something more than "Maggie trying to find Glenn" and vice versa without finding each other for a while. And I think they made it pretty clear that Maggie doesn't want to be alone and that she wants Bob and Sasha to be around so... right direction, I think. I like Maggie and Glen but... Ah I don't really know. I don't think that they are underdeveloped or anything but I'd want them to grow a bit more as characters.

I enjoyed "Still" a lot but I have to agree that 'After' was more miss than a hit. I didn't like 'Inmates' all that much but I have to say that it was a perfect episode in that way that it let the viewers know where most of the members of the group ended up in.

I was just thinking about 'The Grove'... I make an article that somewhat points out some problems (I don't really think these to be any big flaws, except the habit of developing a character and killing him/her right after. I can dislike something that is mostly good) I have with the show, the show delivers one of its best, if not the best episode to date. Not that I mind... I mean, 'The Grove' rose to my favorite episode pretty quickly as well.
More +
Flag
I think the show is a popular as it is because of the current fascination with apocalypse and SHTF scenarios. I think whether people will admit it or not, they like the idea of being able to get back to basics. Get away from the job they hate, the bills, and frustration of modern society and governments. They like the idea of freedom...fend for yourself and be a "hero".

I like the show. Have from the beginning. What I like about the show is the chaos, because in an apocalypse thats exactly what things will be. People will get to know one another...and then die. I personally have experienced this same scenario in life. You meet someone...you are strangers...suddenly you get to know them...and they die or go away for various reasons.

In a world like TWD, this type of scenario would have to happen a million times. Chances are, most people would never know many of the people, other than their first name and maybe someone they are associated with.

What makes the show different and special is that it doesn't fit into the norm. It is chaotic. It is a roller coaster. At the end of the show, they don't get to home and chill in front of the big screen and sip brandy. The problems aren't done.

I think it is highly possible that Maggie and Glen can't find each other. In a world where you have to be quiet....constantly running from either the bad guy or walkers....and there are no cars, or cell phones....being just a mile or two away from each other in a dense forest area....it could be tough to find someone. Glen goes west looking....Maggie goes east. Glen thinks "I'll go south now"...and Maggie thinks she will stay on the same path.

The show also has the liberty to stretch out story lines. With the show being so successful, they can stretch a plot over seasons. So, we get these drawn out story lines.
More+
Flag
Great points and I pretty much agree with everything you said. "Clear" still stands as one of the best episodes of the series. Like you said, no one dies, the acting from all of the actors in the episode was top notch and there was the heavy emotional scenes (Rick and Morgan) but some much needed comic relief and action (Michonne and Carl).

The second half of season 4 has been a bit disappointing. I disagree with you about "Still". "Still" and "Inmates" ranks as two of the worst and dullest episodes for me. "Alone" was okay, "After" was better than okay and "Claimed" was great. I loved "After" because it showed the strained relationship between Rick and Carl and let the audience know what internal struggles Carl was going through. Getting to see the personal and emotional side of Michonne and her internal struggle was gold. It was the best part of the episode for me. After does lose points with me because a lot of the Carl scenes could have been cut and more Michonne could have been added. Either that or another group could have been added.

"Claimed" is probably my favorite episode in 4B so far. There was action, comic relief, some really great bonding moments with Carl&Michonne and we got to learn more about Abraham's group. In a show this heavy, you really need something light to balance it out. That's why I enjoyed the end of "After". I had the biggest smile on my face when Michonne found them and Rick smiled. It felt hopeful for a change. I also appreciated the happy moments between Carl and Michonne in "Claimed" to balance out the seriousness.
More+
Flag
I'm with you--"Claimed" has been my favorite this half of the season and "After" the next favorite. The most recent episode (probably aired after you posted here) had to happen but it did not suprise me. I think we all were expecting much of what went down in "The Grove." I'm betting that the next two episodes could be the best of the season--or at least of this half of the season.

I also like the balance of drama and humor. I think Abraham will provide us with more humor whenever he reappears. In fact, I miss the old Glenn from the first two seasons before he fell in love and became too serious. :(
Flag
If the show is heading to the point I think it is, then its just about time for Glenn to shine again. It will probably be next season though.
Flag
Good--hope he does shine again if he doesn't get killed first. :(
Flag
Follow this Show
Members