We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

The Walking Dead S03E12: "Still"

For a soundtrack while you read, hit play to hear the song from the end of the episode, The Mountain Goats' "Up the Wolves":

I don't know Georgia's legal drinking age, but I motion that it be whatever age Beth is. The farmer's daughter had a hankering for some booze this week, and do you blame her? She lives in a world where the dudes who used to be members of One Direction are probably off somewhere skinning a cow carcass with their bare hands, so what else is a teenage girl to do? Get bombed, that's what. Beth wanted to imbibe her first adult beverage, and that's what set "Still" into motion. 

Initially, this premise sounded like the stupidest thing ever, and for the first several minutes after Beth declared she needed a drink, I kept repeating to myself, "This is the stupidest thing ever." The Walking Dead's kid characters have the strangest urges, and suddenly craving liquor might be the weirdest one yet. But over the course of the hour, "Still" transformed the world's most dangerous beer run into a pretty amazing character study about the lives we live and the lives we lived. It was slow, it was quiet, and it ignored roughly 90 percent of the show's cast, but it was a jolt to the structure of the season—hell, maybe even the whole series—because it told an actual story. "Still" was the polar opposite of the ADD-suffering "Inmates" from two weeks ago, which covered four separate groups (Beth and Daryl included) in such a short amount of time that it didn't have anything to say. 

I know Daryl Dixon is a fan-favorite character, but please relay my apologies to Dixon's Vixens or Daryl's Ferals or Daryl Dixon's Fixin's or whatever fan group you belong to, because Beth Greene absolutely owned this episode. Since Beth doesn't get the same amount of screen time as The Walking Dead's other characters and the writers haven't found a groove to put her in, Emily Kinney doesn't get much attention as an actress—I had to look up her name—but that should change after this episode. She was fantastic in "Still," sticking up a defiant finger at the challenge of carrying an episode opposite the series' clear-cut favorite and delivering The Walking Dead's best performance since Lennie James returned as Morgan Jones in "Clear." Kinney was magnificent in that final scene where Beth and Daryl were sucking down 'shine while sitting on the porch. Who knew that Beth could do more than sing Irish campfire songs, coo at babies, and shrug off her boyfriends' deaths? 

In "Still," Beth's youthful resilience and optimism was framed as a character strength rather than the product of apocalyptic self-deception. Ever since her boyfriend never returned from that supply run and Beth was all, "Whatever," I've had it in my head that the apocalypse had simply thrown her into a pit of emotional detachment. And while I can't say that the Beth we saw in "Still"—so full of hope and determination—was in-line with "My Boyfriend Just Died and I'm Totally Okay With It" Beth, the character wore the new, more uplifting persona much better. Like a yellow polo shirt. Plus, Beth was so poorly defined before "Still" that I don't mind the inconsistency; I'm just glad we got to know her. For as silly as it seemed at first, Beth's hooch quest was more about accepting her father's death than it was getting fall-down drizunk. Letting liquor lick her lips was her way of accepting that Hershel isn't around to tell her "no" anymore, and that she has to venture out on her own and become her own person. And that's something she encouraged Daryl to do, too.

We caught a glimpse of this Beth in "Inmates" during that horrible diary-reading voiceover (which was actually written when the group found safety at the prison and was used to emphasize what a shit show they're in now), and in that same episode, we saw her attitude run counter to Daryl's negativity. But it was wasted in "Inmates" because that episode didn't tell us anything about what was happening beneath the pair's battling shades of optimism and pessimism. Daryl's emo outlook bugged the crap out of me in "Inmates," and he spent that entire hour and most of "Still" acting like a total A-hole to Beth. And now we know why. When you're down in the dumps and some bubbly blonde comes along singing "Walkin' On Sunshine," she's lucky if you don't choke her out by the time she gets to the "And don't it feel good!?" line in the chorus. The fallout from the prison has weighed heavily on Daryl, and he's been wearing it on his arm where his sleeve should be. Beth's insistence that there's still hope in this world—that Maggie, Rick, Michonne, and everyone else are still alive—shined an annoying bright light on Daryl's dumpster time, so he snapped. "You said you could take care of yourself," he said as an excuse when he wasn't there for Beth and she almost got eaten (in Daryl's defense, she was moving too far from him). He called her a spoiled brat. He said he never cut his wrists to get attention. Ouch. 

Daryl can saunter around with his bad attitude, his Iggy Pop hair, and that puff of fuzz on his face all he wants, but it was clear in "Still" that he was the weaker of the two, bogged down by guilt over not doing more when the Governor made a house call and feeling responsible for the deaths of his compadres (cheer up, D, they're not dead!). And Beth, spurred on by some moonshine, chiseled away at Daryl's exterior until that weakness was exposed and the truth came out. Daryl was acting like a dick because he feeling inadequate, just like he'd felt all his life because he was a worthless redneck with a drunk dad and a brother who dragged him along to hang out with tweakers. 

The apocalypse has given Daryl a chance to erase that old life, and as Beth is fond of saying, he has a job to do: survive. And to survive, he needs hope. And to have hope, he needs to shed his bad memories of the past. In "Still," the past he needed to shed happened to be an actual shed. The ramshackle hillbilly hangout became a symbol of Daryl's pre-apocalypse existence, and in "Still"'s emotionally charged final scene, Beth said let's burn this f*cker to the ground and move on in every sense. So they soaked the walls and floors with moonshine, lit a stack of money on fire, and set Daryl's past ablaze so he could rise from the ashes, reborn. And because the metaphor needed a punctuation mark, Beth flipped the bird to that flaming hunk o' wood, and nudged Daryl to do the same. He did, and the pair walked away renewed. 

Of course, it did take some time to get to that point, and much of "Still" was spent on quiet wandering. However, the minutes Daryl and Beth spent exploring the golf pro shop and its surrounding environment built up the tension between them, leading to a more satisfying end. There was nothing complicated about it: "Still" was just two actors doing their thing and occasionally stabbing a zombie in the head. The episode displayed the kind of meaningful restraint (emphasis on meaningful) that other boring episodes of The Walking Dead have failed to achieve. I don't know if future installments of this half-season will continue to focus solely on different groups, like Lost did when it was very effective, but if it means we'll get to keep peeking into the minds of these characters, I hope they do. The Walking Dead takes a lot of heat for being so bleak, but this was a clear-cut victory for both Beth and Daryl. And dammit, it felt GOOD

NOTES

– I expect to see some strong reactions to this episode, but if The Walking Dead wants to be a good TV show, this is the direction it needs to go in, right?

– While other big-name dramas get grief over having terrible female characters, The Walking Dead is quietly accumulating a solid cast of ladies. Beth, Carol, and Michonne are all strong women, and I suspect a lot of that has to do with new showrunner Scott Gimple, whose promotion coincided with all this turnaround. I wonder if he could have saved Lori? Haha, J/K LOL he's not a miracle-worker.

– Great direction by Julius Ramsey. "Still" was a good-looking episode.

– I loved the opening minutes of the episode, which didn't have any any dialogue as Beth and Daryl just survived. Their silence really upped the severity of the situation. 

– Did Beth say "Enjoy your snake jerky!" or "Enjoy your snake, jerky!"? I prefer the latter. 

– Daryl is such a hick that I wondered whether those scenes when he was hunting squirrel were flashbacks. In the meantime? Beth was collecting ladybugs. (I thought she might eat them, too.)

– "Golfers like to booze it up, right?" At least a beer a hole. Anything less and you aren't golfin' right.

– "Ain't gonna have your first drink be no peach schnapps!" Double negative aside, I'm so thankful that Daryl intervened and stopped that travesty before it happened. Definitely Daryl's best save of the series to date.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

318 Comments
Comments (318)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"When you're down in the dumps and some bubbly blonde comes along singing "Walkin' On Sunshine," she's lucky if you don't choke her out by the time she gets to the "And don't it feel good!?" line in the chorus."

Hah, aint that the truth...
Flag
I REALLY wanted to find out more about what went down at that Country club. It got pretty creepy and a presence in itself. I mean, at first it just seemed like everyone collectively gave up an drank suicide punch, but then you say the half torso lady on the mannaquin and, well, seems like stuff got dark near the end..
Flag
I didn't like this at all, mainly because the dialogue in Beth and Daryl's fight scene was terrible. They both acted totally out of character and said things that didn't ring true. Intoxication buys the writers a bit of lee way but not this much. The worst part was Daryl breaking down, he did it far too easily and far too demonstrably, what a shame. Apart from that stuff I was annoyed by the continuing gimmicky way the show uses zombies. I'm sick of them only showing up when it's scary, I'm sick of them coming out of nowhere without a sound and I'm sick of the characters putting themselves in stupidly vulnerable situations. I hope the show improves all these issues because in many ways its getting better.
Flag
Who knew Beth had all that quiet wisdom sitting in her noggin..............okay so it was possibly the stupidest idea that set up the outpouring but I don't think anyone else could have got Daryl to open up the way he did. And boy oh boy I thought Emily Kinney acted her socks off and it was a bloody marvellous episode.
Flag
Almost! Almost a good episode.
I've been jonesing for an episode like this since the pilot. Give me 2 characters talking to eachother in a way that's meaningful . Unfortunately this show does not know the meaning of meaningful.
A rip-off (complete with the same drinking game) of LOST's "Outlaws" (s01e16) but without the key component: great writing. The fact that it was a "rip off" is not the bad part. Hell,The Walking Dead should look to LOST more often and take some serious notes when it comes to two characters interacting.
"Still" could've been deep and profound but due to some really badly written dialogue (and mediocre acting) it was just all kinds of wrong.
In all fairness though, I'll look at this episode as a step in the right direction. This was TWD first attempt at this and it was a bit of hit and miss. I hope they take more chances like this in the future so they can get better at it. Seriously hire some folk know know how to write dialogue. Isn't there any left over writers from Breaking Bad (now those guys know how to write!), who haven't moved onto bigger things, still at AMC?
More+
Flag
Loved it! definitely the direction the show should take.
Flag
Now THIS is what the Walking Dead should be like. All focus on the characters not zombie killing. One of the best episodes of the entire series. If people found this boring, they're probably watching the wrong show.
Flag
boooring, you can have character exploration with something else happening in the episodes, this episodes make me wanna go to sleep.
Flag
Yeah, when those Zombies attacked Beth and she took them out while Daryl watched, I was like "This sure is boring." And when Daryl beat the crap out of a walker with a golf club, I was nearly comatose. Wait...
Flag
Don't get me wrong.. I still look forward to TWD every Sunday.. and the first few episodes of season 1 are probably some of the best television ever made.. But on Sunday nights these days.. when I watch True Detective followed by TWD.. there's absolutely no comparison.
Flag
That's why I love tv.com. As I was finishing the episode all I could think was "I hope Tim puts this song in the review, so that I can read and listen to it at the same time". And there it is!
Flag
Brilliant episode, maybe the best so far. I really don't need constant carnage for this show to be good. I've known people like Daryl and like Beth and loved how real and how painful this episode felt. This episode was a step above just about every other episode and showed that the series has the potential to be much better than its been.

This episode brought some of "The Road" into the zombie apocalypse. The best dystopian novels and shows have that element.
Flag
OMW this show really can get it wrong! And the last few episodes have been a snooze fest to say the least. Really, I think the best thing they can do for this show is stick to a 10-episode season to keep it action packed. Otherwise we stuck with several episode- fillers - honestly I would rather watch paint dry than re-watch the last episode. Wow it was boring.
Flag
I felt two ways with this episode...there were moments that it was really lenghty and boring, but other moments were also important for the bonding thing...Beth had never a big role in the series...then mostly wining and babysitting...now she has to survive...i think the writers did a good job to put those together...
as Daryl is a redneck, who doesn't say a lot...so it was nice to see him cry and talk and shout, get drunk and burn the place down...was nice to see the soft side of him. Think Beth brings that up by him...
But i will be more happy, if they all found each other again...
Still loving it to see all those characters survive on their own from now..instead being strong as a group..!
love this show...
Flag
B-O-R-I-N-G

TWD character development is as subtle as a brick. It's the show grabbing you by the shoulders and shouting at you: "HEY, WE'RE DEVELOPING THESE TWO CHARACTERS IN THIS EPISODE!"

That's something that should flow naturally during plot development. But no, this show decides to stop the plot completely, put a couple of characters in a typical situation and let them interact. You can do that once in a while (hell, even Breaking Bad did that a couple of times), but TWD does it most of the time. Meanwhile, the plot moves at the pace of an old, fat, (un)dying turtle.

This is NOT the path to become a good show.
Flag
I just noticed that Beth had some defined muscles in that skinny little arm of hers. At least when she's flipping someone off.
Flag
What is happening? who are these people talking about this was the best episode so far I love the way they connected it was so emotional, are you kidding me SHUT UP! you can literally throw this episode in the garbage and you wouldn't skip a beat. Save your comments for the vampire diaries!
Flag
This episode started off great but quickly went down the toilet. I think character development on Daryl and Beth at this point Is totally useless. We know what they have been through and going through. If you don't know then you need to start from the beginning again. This episode was nothing more than a filler episode no progress as a series. To tell you the truth they both should have died at the country club!
Flag
Maybe they were trying to draw in the audience on an emotional level because one of them is going to die this season. Whenever they focus on particular characters, something big usually happens to them.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode, I'd say the best of this half of the season for sure. I agree with Tim, I hope the character building and story continues because it added a level of depth that even I, an avid fan no matter what, will say has been missing.
Flag
That game of truth escalated quick!!! and their middle finger scene at the end was amusingly epic lol
Flag
a lot of fucks were given in this episode
Flag
And fingers too.

I'm not sure if Hershel would've been upset or laughing though...
Flag
I thought Emily's acting was awful; she painfully over-acted. I was just praying that it wasn't leading up to her and Daryl getting together. That would have been even more unbearable. I did love it when the spattered head ruined her new top though. Why on earth did she choose a white cardigan! Lol! She should stick to black, brown and red.
I must say that I normally like her character though; she's vulnerable and cute in small doses. Let's keep it to that in the future please and I may just be able to forget this performance and like her again.
Flag
To be honest, all I could think of was that Beth was acting like a normal 17 year old girl that will never go to prom, go to a music concert or share a drink with friends when she comes of age.

She didn't make me feel bad because she was adjusting, but I can't deny her odds really, really suck.
Flag
Yeah, I'm over it this week. She was great and cute again and I'm not soo against her and Daryl after the funeral parlour 'goings on'.
Flag
This episode seemed so promising from the preview after the previous episode, but it turned out really boring. This was perhaps one of the worst episodes yet of TWD. I really don't like Beth and now I just think even more that she's pointless and irrelevant. She is boring and really annoying. I kept hoping she'd get bit during this episode... Why can't they just kill her off already?

I didn't buy the drama bits either since it's silly for Daryl to feel guilty and the stuff Beth said was not exactly deep or anything... How stupid are you if you're going to get drunk during a zombie apocalypse?? She'd be defendless, and then she wanted him to drink too? Not exactly smart, and there was no point in it either. It's not like they seemed better afterwards.
I just think they could have blown off steam in a better episode, instead it got dragged out to what felt like the longest episode in TWD history.
Flag
A very un-Walking Dead episode, did not start convincingly but settled down nicely and by the final 10 minutes I am enjoying it enormously.
Reminded me a lot about 1 episode of The Killing Season 1 when the entire episode was about Linden and Holder looking for her kid - Just 2 characters for the entire time. an absolute treat!
This 8 episode mini season looks to be all about separation and hopefully reunion, bring on the next episode!!!
Flag
I went through all the comments and didn't see anything about this (didn't click all the "more +"s though). Nobody else noticed that Daryl was throwing darts at a picture of the Governor when he was fat and not homicidal? I also appreciated that Beth mentioned her older brother.
Flag
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but none of the pictures he was throwing darts at contain the Governor.

Flag
I totally thought the top right was the Governor. The camera even focused on that picture for a second longer than the others, even thought he hit others as well.
Flag
Thank the show for confirming that he was Beth's brother (he was only stepbrother to Maggie, so that had been bugging me since they shot the barn down)!
Flag
This episode is a good example of what I personally expect from this show. I loved it. I am not into zombie gore and I just tolerate it because of the apocalyptic scenario that it generates. It is a strange mixture of viewers for this show, isn't it. The zombie gore lovers must have been sedated after this!
Flag
A good character episode ,that why this series stands out from others because sometimes less is more. At least we got more of Beth in previous episode she come over as a sulky teenager but in this prticular episode she a lot more mature. The golf club showed now how many times she tried something normal every day thing, like putting on a new shirt or a drink , then chaos sets in and it reminded us that everything gone to hell.
Flag
Excellewnt episode, TWD is about people strugling to survive, and to let their minds be health, and this one did just that
Flag
the drinking game made me cringe but maybe that's because i never experienced high school drinking parties and relied on television and movies to inform me and they things usually don't end well
will this be an episode to remember? probably not
was there decent character development? you betcha, it's fitting well with the past character development episodes
Flag
Nice character piece, getting to learn more about these two was good. Darryl's breakdown showed him to care and Beth is becoming interesting.
Flag
Especially because Daryl is not the kind to get a breakdown in front of Rick, so this was a nice change of pace for him.

Thanks Beth!
Flag
Its been a while. Great review, Tim.

I see some didn't like this episode due to the lack of action. TWD did something different this time-- character development. Sure, TWD characters have changed, but that was mostly because of some real conflict, like zombies or the governor.

Writers usually start each character with a persona, and help flesh out who the character is by reacting to the plot of the story. After a while, you get an idea of who the character is and what he would do in certain situations. Where character development happens is when the character reacts to the events of the plot differently to what you would expect. That, in essence, is all character development is.

This was the way TWD characters where developed from the beginning, once we have an idea for the characters, TPTB throw some zombies at them and take their hope away--and voila--characters developed.

But with this episode that changed a little bit. Now characters are developing based on how well they understand each other. The dialogue changed the character! That is a page ripped right out of the Soap Opera handbook. Frankly, its welcome change to the stale and crusty reanimated corpse TWD has become as of late.
More+
Flag
Wow, that was a waste of an episode...

Also, Beth's acting as someone who took their first ever drink (and it was of MOONSHINE!) was up there with Hershel's infinite ammo no recoil shotgun shooting from when the barn burned down.

'Wow, that tastes bad', not 'good god I cant breathe'
Flag
Did anyone think "Hero of Canton won't be drinking that xiongmao niao [panda urine]. He drinks the best whiskey in the house!" when Daryl threw the bottle down? Maybe I'm just a fanboy
Flag
Boring as hell! I'll just read your reviews from now on!
Flag
Am I the only one that thought that this was the most "Resident Evil" (original game)-esque episode? The two survivors, creepy camera angles, lots of silence broken by silly things like a grandfather clock ticking...hordes of zombies in close quarters.... not that I mind at all, I loved it. Really had the "survival horror" feel to it. Glad we got to know more about both characters too, definitely was time to delve deeper into the past for both of them, especially Beth, who until this point hasn't had enough screen time to really understand all that much (have a feeling that's changing big time now).
Flag
One week I find myself disappointed in Tim's negative view of an episode I liked, then this week I find myself agreeing with Tim's positive view and disappointed in the negative views of the commenters. Lesson learned: if you had fun with something, don't let someone else's griping take away from that.
Flag
this was an amazing episode for both of them, it doesn't have to be one is better than the other and if you let go of the fan favorite grudge, one will see that
Flag
Pretty sure Beth just secured her safety at least until the season finale. They spent an entire episode breaking down Daryl's walls and building up his hope, they're not about to stomp it... for a little while at least.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one -literally cringing- thinking that Beth was going to try to jump Daryl's bones while they were playing never have I ever. The one thing she said: "I've never got drunk and done something I'd later regret." was text book, "Don't let me die a virgin during the apocalypse."

I will not board that ship; while I do believe we need some Daryl sexieness going on, just not with a little girl. Maybe the new chick that Glenn just picked up, not the lesbian one, but the wanna-be army one. Maybe?

I really liked the development in this episode. The scene were they were talking and drinking on the porch at the end was beautiful. Beth finally stepped out of the ranks as a childish side character, to an adult and an equal with the other adults. They spoke to each other like equals and that was what really made that scene.

It was also nice to learn more about Daryl, we already knew he had been beaten by his father, the scars on his back, but we also got to learn more about their home life. We got to see that Daryl really wants to be a better person than the standards his father and brother set.

Like I said, great episode, like the character development, now I wonder when we'll get an actual plot.
Ps. Anyone else notice how buff Beth is? Jezz, she's got some manly muscles.
More+
Flag
SO hope u are right. When she said, "you'll miss me when I am gone" I just sunk. Great WD, you make us care about them, together, and her as a character and the, boom, your're gonna kill her?!!! I loved it. We need to care. But you have to be right, taht would be just awful, ecp after her dad just died. BUT I love them as a future thing, I hate the word 'ship', she is in her late 20's, they make her 21 or whatever int he show, but they compliment each other so well. Stron where the other one isn'[t, we'll see, just don't kill her.
Flag
I want to like them together, but she's only 18 in the show and he's in his late 30's. Maybe in season 10 when she's like 24, but not now. He's almost old enough to be her father. I would like to see him with a good hearted girl like her though.
Plus, Carol already called dibs lol.
And being Beth's boyfriend is the kiss of death.
Flag
Emily Kinney has a record deal in NY so yeah maybe Beth is a goner.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Worst episode i was so bored couldn't stand it.
Flag
Maybe you should go watch Dawn of the Dead. I don't know how people like you made it past season 2.
Flag
I cant believe that an entire episode full of Daryl was so boooring. TWD episodes about characters development are "amazing". An hour of nothing other than bla-bla, that tries show me how bad ,sad, dangerous and somehow boring will be the life after zombie apocalypse
BTW:I laught when Daryl got drunk before Beth. For a firsttimer this girl showed skills of a hardcore drunk.

Flag
To be fair, she was taking sips and he was gulping.
Flag
Great review, some good insights. I love what this episode was trying to be, but it also seemed a little contrived. Like it was just checking off boxes that we'd wanna see rather than letting occur naturally. I mean, they came up some inane plot device to put these two in dire situations and later drunk so Daryl would show is vulnerable side and as great as some of those scenes were, it didn't quite ring true to me. I'd have to disagree with your assessment on Emily Kinney owning this episode; I am enjoying getting to know this character a little bit better but Kinney doesn't quite have the acting chops to pull it off, in my opinion.

http://www.untemperedtv.com/?p=498
Flag
I think the acting for both actors was dreadful.
Flag
Loving Beth!
Flag
Oh and i needed a tissue with Darryl...:(
Flag
Man, these few episodes have all been about breaking down emotional walls, and revealing the true character of our surviving characters. Rick, Carl, Michonne, Glen, Beth, Daryl, and even Lizzie and Mika. Carol already had her moment before the assault on the prison, but there might be more now that she's on the road with MC Hammer. I guess they're all getting the spotlight, which is cool. I'm a bit worried about Beth and Sasha though. Beth because she's had her full character growth, and that seems to be when TWD kills off a character. Dale had his episode, stood up to the group as their moral compass, and got disemboweled by a zombie. Hersh killed his first zombie, was acknowledged as a badass, and then got decapitated by Brian, T-Dog started started talking, and then got nommed on by a zombie... I'm just worried that Beth has reached her full potential as well, and that her death will now have a greater impact on not just Maggie, but Darryl as well (You're going to miss me so bad when I'm gone, Darryl Dixon). Honestly, I'm surprised that a zombie didn't jump out and bite her just before the episode ended.

I'm mostly worried about Sasha because it seems unrealistic that there wouldn't be any casualties between the prison and whenever the band gets back together. Maybe Bob's death will suffice? I don't know, I just don't care at all about Bob. He was a Woodbury resident in the comics, while Sasha never even made an appearance, but--and I know this is not a good enough reason to keep her character around--she's so pretty.
More+
Flag
I hope they do not kill of Sasha or Tyreese yet. I would like to know more about both of them. Besides that, they are tough survivors, and even though Tyreese had his weak moments at the prison (and who wouldn't in this world?), he can wail on some walkers with that hammer, and he took charge of 3 kids. He deserves to live for a long time to come. I think Sasha is good too; we just do not know much about her.
Flag
Oh, and was I the only one that thought Beth was deliberately trying to get Darryl drunk? And herself? Maybe give them both enough courage to do something the next time they're trapped inside a trunk with a few dozen zombies just outside? Are there Beth and Darryl shippers out there? I'm not one, but I figure if anyone else thought Beth had ulterior motives, it'd be them.
Flag
I hope not! Let them be friends. There is no chemistry, none whatsoever between these 2. I'd rather watch paint dry then watch them sucking faces and God forbid the nasty. lol
Flag
Great episode. "I ain't gonna have your first drink be no damned peach schnapps," was hilarious and true to character.

They should use the country club for their next webisode series (we didn't get one this past season, did we?). There were a lot of zombies lurking around for it to have been ransacked by other survivors, but the "welcome to the dogtrot" and "rich bitch" messages had to have been written by nonmembers. How did that all go down? What was up with the three hangbies (hangman zombies)? Suicides or murders? They seemed a bit too high up for chairs and I didn't see any below them anyway. Were they hoisted?
Flag
The messages may have been written by country club employees.
Flag
Or the group that infiltrated Rick's house.
Flag
True... I'm just wondering if the club members were still alive at that point, you know?
Flag
What I meant was, did the club members lose hope and kill themselves before malevolent survivors happened upon the club and did all that stuff, or were the club members getting by, and then murdered by the malevolent group? That's why I think that setting could make a good webisode series. Lots of little stories to tell, and it would be interesting to see how things fell apart for that group.
Flag
No idea if they were alive. I assume the hangers were--then again, they could have been killed but not in the brain and then hung up but why would they have been left alive to turn into walkers and the others were clearly dead? There were a lot of people in that club, including the completely dead ones and the walkers that Daryl attacked.
Flag
Yes, that would make sense too.
Flag
sooo boring. I am over Beth and Daryl. They both need to bite the bullet asap. Kill them both.
Flag
I've never been into them in the first place to be over them, they're boring as heck. I have a feeling Daryl will not make it to S5, he has a movie deal with RK called ''Air'' filming is set to start this Spring, guess what? TWD filming starts this May. Not only Norman is going to be the main character on that movie he's going to be the Executive Producer along with Robert Kirkman. He won't have time for TWD. Bue-Bye Daryl.
Flag
I liked the country club scenes, the set dressed to almost give us an insight into what just what happened, hour by horrible hour, to all that secure sense of privilege after The Turn hit.
Reminiscent of the episode where the show revisited the character played by Lennie James, his descent into madness written into the walls, expressed physically in his stockade. Good stuff.
Flag
Peach schnapps is awful but this episode wasn't. After last week I was worried that this show was on its last legs, but Daryl and Beth really brought it back to life. I just hope they can sustain that quality for the rest of the season.
Flag
If TWD is trying to be more character driven and deeper, then I applaud that. I would also recommend though that the writers look at Banshee, and see how that show has transformed from some batshit crazy show, to one of the better dramas on tv in one season. To me it's like TWD just doesn't know what type of show it wants to be or what direction to go in.
Flag
Oh, great, I thought I was alone in thinking this was good tv. Character development, long and silent and somewhat tedious scenes garnished with pretentious dialogue, all of that after a strong beginning and a premise that skyrocketed my expectations only to miserably drown in it afterwards. Only downside I can think of was Daryl's interesting background we learned more of. However, I chewed my fingers away(my nails where already long gone) in order to keep breathing for I was almost slipping into coma near the end. Fantastic television, bravo AMC, well done! 9 more seasons in this direction, please!
Flag
I thought it was a good character development episode. Not the most thrilling or exciting episode, but we learned more about Daryl's background, and got an understanding of why he acts (or reacts) the way he does, and we also got a glimpse into the psyche of Beth, a character who's sole purpose up until this point was to take care of baby Judith and singing songs.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members