A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
So by the end of season 4 with the scarlet letter "A", who do you think is the strongest or weakest among the survivors? When I say strongest, I am talking about survival ability and not who will actually survive. We all have seen that being the best at surviving might not stop the writers from sending a zombie to chew you up. Here is my list:

Strongest:
1. Carol- Can't believe I gave her to top spot. Two seasons ago, I had her written off but dang has she got a grasp on the world like no other. What put her over the top is that she was alone in the wilds longer than anyone else and seemed to have done just fine. She knows how to make the hard choices. I don't think Rick, Daryl, Michonne or even Carl could put Lizzie down the way it had to be done.

2. Rick- If I was basing this as an average, I couldn't put Rick this high due to his farming and being beat down by the Gov but this is about where we find them by the end of the season and Rick showed why he is willing to survive. When he took that throat bite...dang...still shocks me a little. Rick also shown in the second half of the season that he thinks on his feet very well when he was just trying to get out of that house.

3. Daryl/Michonne- it's a tie. I really can't decide because in my opinion they both have slipped up a little in their survival ability. While I love the Daryl and Beth adventures...it made Daryl put his guard down in crucial times like opening the door without checking...very sloppy.

Weakest:
1. Maggie- Normally she would be high but the narrow minded way she went after Glenn was very very dangerous. Just ditching on her small group was not wise. Yes, it was all romantic that she wanted to find Glenn but she was lucky they didn't end up surrounded by a couple of hundred Walkers at times.

2. Tyreese- I like Tyreese but his only skill is that hammer and brute strength. His only other skill is leaving little kids alone at the worst possible times.

3. Glenn- Same issues like Maggie, very focused but not on surviving. Unlike Maggie, he got hooked up with some others that seemed to be a little more able to work as a team. But his solution to the tunnel problem brought him low in the rankings.

Some may note that I didn't have Beth or Carl on the list. They fall in the middle. Next to Carol, Beth might be the character that has grown the most from early season 3 to the end of 4. She's more focused, skilled and has a bit of "I-don't-give-damn" that one needs to survive. If she could get a hold of a decent signature weapon, she might move up more. She also knows her limits which can actually help in surviving. Beth isn't going to take on 10 Walkers at once like Michonne or Maggie, she'll retreat and figure something else out.

Carl has grown in some ways. He can kill, we've seen that but now he is starting to realize his own limits like Beth and that's a good thing.

Anyway, that's my views....how about you?
54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The strongest is Carol, the only character besides the Governor who is willing to do what needs to be done to survive in the ZA.
The weakest goes to Judith, what can i say, she's a baby therefore a liability.
Flag
I wasn't really going to count Judith myself. She is more of a prop than a person at the moment. Lol.
Flag
Strongest was Beth, loved the xter development in season 4 but still glad carol is more steel than most, and Rick's gotten his psycho back.
Weakest,and this is totally the writers' fault, Tyrese. think the writers should do a better job developing him and sasha...it's been 2 seasons already
Flag
For me I think the strongest is Daryl - but I agree the hero complex could get the best of him. Michonne is letting people in again, which is good for her character but makes her more vulnerable than she was when she first joined the rag-tag Rick crew.

Weakest is tough. I think I'm going to cop out and say Bob.
Flag
Poor Bob...he hasn't had many chances to show off his ability to survive. Though I will say that his little flashback this past season did show he can survive on his own. The only other person that can really make a similar claim like that is Michonne. His loyalty to his people is good and improving more, so there is hope for him.
Flag
I agree. Like I said, it was a cop out vote :-) Though, he has demonstrated that he has a history with substance abuse which if off the wagon could prove to be highly detrimental so there was a little method to my cop out voting.
Flag
I was disappointed in the finale, when it ended I said they are ending it there
Flag
Strongest is Michonne in my opinion. Followed by Carol and then Rick/Darryl.
Weakest Glenn/Maggie and their pathetic love story, Carl only shoots walkers, what is he gonna do when he runs out of bullets? And Beth doesn't do much killing either.
Flag
In my opinion, Michonnewasn't strong, she just lost herself. Just likes he told Carl.

Andrea, and later on Rickand, and later on Carl brought her back, but the actual Michonne would've never survived the loss of her child and her lover. Not the way Carol has survived the loss of her kids over and over.

Carol is still herself after Lizzie, Mika, Rick, Daryl, Lori, Andrea, Patrick, Luke & Molly, Shane, Sophia and Ed. Looking back, Idon't know why Rick was so upset she wouldn't even mention Sophia when he doesn't even mention Judith (he believes she's dead).
Flag
That is an excellent point about Michonne losing herself. Michonne compartmentlized herself. Looking at it from a psychological standpoint, Michonne totally suppressed her Super-Ego that handles what we call conscience and became the embodiment of her ID (instinct).
Carol did not lose her core self but molded it to suit the world around her.
Flag
What I like the most about Carol is that she feels everything: what Rick did to her, what Lizzie did to her sister, what Carol herself did to Tyreese's girlfriend and so on. Her daughter was part of a life she doesn't share anymore, but that doesn't mean Carol stopped feeling because of it.

Michonne lost her child and that was it, she stopped feeling. She didn't feel anything for a long time before Andrea, and only now she's beginning to feel again.
Flag
Strongest for me Michonne because she understands the dynamic of zombies Daryl is good too but I feel that he has hero complex and I remember in Zombieland movie they said something like '#17 don't be a hero.'
Weak for me is Glenn I love him but for a brief moment I wanted to smack him to the ground when he was giving a total spaz about going in the dark tunnel.
Flag
Strongest is Michonne: The proof is she survived alone all the time before we met her in season 3. None of the others had such a long alone time.

Weakest is Beth: Maggie, Tyreese and Glenn all killed many zombies. I don't remember seeing Beth killing much.
Flag
For me, killing doesn't always equal great at surviving.
Flag

Strongest...

Flag

Weakest....

Flag
Carol wasn't really out there that long on her own. The time between when Rick left her and the governor came to call was only a day or two (in show time). Remember, Rick beat Daryl and group back to the prison, but the group came back later that day or the next.
Flag
Then again,
  • Rick left Carol completely alone while he went back to a large community,
  • Rick left with the son he believed was alive and was quickly joined by the most effective swordsman of his group; Carol was left to wonder whether her girls were alive or dead until she heard Judith's crying & joined a wounded man that got quickly sick.
  • Rick found a home to rest, a direction to go to and he killed every enemy he ever met; Carol only found a home filled with walkers, refused to join other people until Tyreese was ready and was forced to kill one of her kids before she would kill a baby just like she killed her sister.
  • Rick was threatened by Joe's group only to find the support of Daryl, Carol was threatened by everything, including Tyreese in her continuing support of others,
  • Rick ended the season sorrounded by everyone he has ever met, Carol is still out there with Judith.
Flag
Who would have thought that Carol from Season 1 who allowed herself to be treated so badly by her husband would be what she is today? If she was like this back in season 1...her husband would have been so dead.
Flag
If Rick was right about one thing - and one thing only - is that Carol wasn't the same woman: she indeed was able to survive on her own.

...although, if he was so sure, why give a car filled with supplies and keep looking back?
Flag
The Walking Dead is a show about Carol.
Flag
Some of the best parts of this season involved her.
Flag
All I know is that it is a long time to fall.....
Flag
Carol for sure is the most surprising. She gets my vote for "Most Improved". Even though she is crying right before shooting "Flower girl" Lizzie, I think she might have just crossed a new threshold. The next time she has to drop a non-walker child, might be a lot easier.

I still think that Michone can survive no matter what happens....along with Daryl.

All of them have demonstrated weakness though. Rick can take a beat down, but he can be on the brink of dying. Carol is tough, but probably hooked up with a weak group while she was out there, and thats who died on the side of the railroad tracks when Tyreese found them and her.

Daryl let down his guard with Beth....so we know that a little love and kindness can make him soft.
Michone is tough and can survive, but once she found a group she loved, and then found herself alone again....she was emotionally crushed. She still killed every walker around her though...but she too was weak.

Rick, Carl, and Michonne allowed four guys to sneak up on them while at the campfire. ....which I think drops their survivalist rating a notch. But, overcoming the numbers and killing everyone in the group I think gave them a few extra points.

It is a tough call about who has the best chances to survive. Tough doesn't always mean you will survive. Looks at Shane and T-Dog. Tough yeah...but emotions and/or a bad situation got them killed.

I think in order to survive, there has to be a moderation. Too cocky and you get over-confident. Too strong and you may try to do too much. Too smart and you over think. Too emotional and you just quit. Too arrogant (i.e. The Governor) and you take on more than you can chew.
More+
Flag
Good call with Carol. Assuming she doesn't come unglued, and she might, she has the best chance to survive. Tyreese is weaker than Beth or Carl? Really?
Flag
To be fair, Tyreese was stuck with an infected wound for most part of the season.

On top of that, he wasn't ready to meet new people - it's why they didn't go directly to Terminus in the first place - and he was forced to bury two girls he loved like his own daughters and come to terms with the fact one of them killed the other.

If Carol wouldn't have been there to execute Lizzie, Tyreese would be dead by now probably right after Judith.
Flag
In one way yes. Tyreese could be one of the best but he doesn't always shows the best judgement for someone his age. He ditched the kids a few time in really awkward ways that could have came and bit him on the butt.
His skill set is quite low. Sure he can swing a hammer but eventually brute strength is going to fail him.
Now while I admit that few could have done what Carol had to do with Lizzie, but we can say that Tyreese couldn't have done it because he let Carol do it.
Tyreese can also let his emotions rule his judgement, like anger. For the most part, Beth and Carl haven't let their emotions really put them in harms way.
Also, Beth had some time with Daryl to learn a bit on survival and Carl was starting to learn how to trap with his dad. From what I've seen, Tyreese still depends on scavenging for everything he needs.
Flag
Most of what Carl does is driven by emotions. He can make the hard choices but barely and gets way too nervous when threatened and his emotions get him in trouble a lot. And Beth is still soft when it comes to making hard choices and isn't even close to a good fighter and has little in way of survival skill on her own. Also, it's a little unfair to say Tyreese couldn't have done it because he let Carol do it. I do agree Tyreese makes terrible decisions and wouldn't be surprised to see him go but he is better than Beth or Carl.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC