We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

When The Walking Dead returns on Sunday to start the second half of its fourth season, everyone is going to be clawing their way out of a big pile of doo-doo. The safety of the prison they called home for one-and-a-half seasons (wayyyy too long) was destroyed by a lethal combo of a tank, one pissed-off Governor, and a swarm of dead people, and now everyone—even my beloved Beth—is scampering across Georgia in a panic, looking for shelter from relentless waves of undead. What's worse, in the chaos of the fall finale, the gang got split up and dispersed into small factions, fragmenting their once-secure community and putting an end to their campfire sing-alongs.

With that in mind, I'm wondering who among the survivors will be the best suited for survival on their own? Let's make some stuff up and find out!

RICK GRIMES

Role: De facto leader, head gardener

Strengths: Handy with a gun; particularly talented at aggressively stomping around; he's the friggin' star of the comics

Weaknesses: "Stuff"

Current whereabouts: Was last seen limping off the prison grounds with his son Carl, crying about the presumed death of his baby daughter Judith

Chances of surviving on his own: Despite some viewers requests for his demise, Rick could fall asleep in a pile of zombies and wake up with nary a nibble on his arm because he's the star of both the comics and the show. The Walking Dead's rule of "anyone can die" just doesn't apply to him, and that's the truth. But even without that fact making him invincible, Rick's one of the most formidable survivors. He'll stay alive as long as he doesn't take too many walks with strangers in the woods. (Why did you go for a walk with that weird Irish lady, Rick? Why?)

Life expectancy: 14 seasons of television, two really bad movie tie-ins, a thousand issues of the comic, and three licensed video games.

CARL GRIMES

Role: Unruly teenager

Strengths: Surprisingly adept with a firearm; has the go-getter attitude of a hall monitor; not afraid to kill his mom or his dad's best friend; able to cause the deaths of others through poor decision-making; can fit into small spaces like hopefully a locker or a coffin

Weaknesses: Won't stay in the damn house or do anything his parents tell him to

Current whereabouts: Dragging his dad Rick away from the zombie-infested prison

Chances of surviving on his own: This kid should have been killed a long time ago with all the trouble he's caused. But he's had plenty of luck on his solo missions to convince me that he wouldn't be walker meat and would put up a decent fight. 

Life expectancy: Two or three more seasons, or when the writers realize that they need a new way to throw Rick into another psychotic breakdown. Whichever comes first. 

DARYL DIXON

Role: Rebel and fan favorite

Strengths: Endless supply of magical crossbow bolts; badass f*cking attitude; alliterative name; the unwavering love of millions

Weaknesses: Ha! Come on, Daryl doesn't have any weaknesses

Current whereabouts: Taking off with Beth, so good luck with that, Daryl

Chances of surviving on his own: Pretty good, I'd say! And with millions of fans ready to boycott the series if he ever dies, even better than that. But let's say The Walking Dead really wanted to be shocking; wouldn't the show at least consider the possibility of *gets murdered by Dixon's Vixens*

Life expectancy: A long, long time. Did Sawyer die? Did Han Solo die? No and no.

GLENN RHEE

Role: Asian guy

Strengths: Ability to be average at everything

Weaknesses: Weak immune system; has no more luck left (used it all up bedding Maggie)

Current whereabouts: On the escape bus with some other sick people (probably)

Chances of surviving on his own: I love Glenn! But let's face the facts: He's kind of screwed. Other than being Maggie's lucky half, what's his identity within the group now? He's not the best fighter and he's a mediocre survivalist. He's just Glenn, and he's the perfect "main" character to kill off when the show needs to cut its budget.

Life expectancy: His time is coming soon. If he makes it out of Season 4 alive, he'll die in Season 5. 

MICHONNE

Role: That lady with a sword

Strengths: That sword!; has adapted to the new world with tricks like making zombie pets; her permanent grouchiness is a perfect fit for both apocalyptic life and humid Georgia summers

Weaknesses: Muscular arms make it difficult to find any sleeved top that fits her

Current whereabouts: All by herself!

Chances of surviving on her own: Michonne could survive a nuclear holocaust even if the bomb dropped right between her feet. She's a cockroach. She will survive.

Life expectancy: A long, long time. Nothing to worry about here!

MAGGIE GREENE

Role: Hot chick

Strengths: Totally hot

Weaknesses: Lauren Cohen's potentially burgeoning acting career and there's no way AMC will pay her the money she'll eventually want so why should she roll around in the dirt in humid Georgia when she could be starring opposite Clooney in something else?

Current whereabouts: Leaving the prison with Bob and Sasha

Chances of surviving on her own: Maggie is surprisingly tough, so she'll probably last a lot longer out there than you'd think. And with hotties being a rare commodity in the world that's in the middle of a quest to repopulate civilization, she's probably going to be taken in by any group she comes across in the name of saving mankind and also making the world a more attractive place.

Life expectancy: She's on the same course as Glenn. One has to die for drama, and then the other becomes redundant when the other becomes single. Season 5!

BETH GREENE

Role: Farmer's daughter

Strengths: She can sing; emotionally empty after caring for too long, so she won't be held back by tough decisions

Weaknesses: Might be suicidal; fragile as a dry leaf

Current whereabouts: Off with Daryl somewhere

Chances of surviving on her own: Oh come on, they can't kill Beth! Don't you DARE kill Beth!

Life expectancy: They're gonna kill Beth. She's done this season or the next.

TYREESE

Role: Angry black dude

Strengths: HAMMER; rage mode allows him to smash the skulls of mobs of zombies like he's crushing a game of Whac-A-Mole; played by a guy who was on The Wire

Weaknesses: Not good with any weapon that isn't a hammer; played by a guy who was on I Hate My Teenage Daughter

Current whereabouts: Unknown! He was last seen running after those dumb kids!

Chances of surviving on his own: You'd think he'd be well equipped for survival since he's a big brute, but the guy can't shoot a gun to save his life, and his idea of combat is getting as close to a zombie or group of zombies as he can and hitting them on the head with a regular hammer. That is poor planning!

Life expectancy: He'll go out at the end of Season 4

SASHA

Role: Tyreese's sister

Strengths: None

Weaknesses: Everything

Current whereabouts: With Bob and Maggie

Chances of surviving on her own: Zero, zilch, nada. She's currently the character who's being kept around to catch illnesses, trip on rocks, and grab supplies off-screen. "Expendable" doesn't even begin to describe her.

Life expectancy: She's probably already dead. 

Which Walking Dead character do you think has the best chance of surviving the zombie apocalypse on their own?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm sorry but I don't know what you're talking about with Lauren Cohan. She is such a genuine person and would do anything for the betterment of the show. Saying that she'll want more money because she doesn't want to "roll around in the dirt" is wrong. She's not that kind of person so
Flag
I vote Glen, because he's the only one smart enough to wear freaking body armor. Seriously, a simple pair of thick coveralls is all it would take to stop a zombie bite, yet everyone is running around in tank tops and shorts.

This show could be so much better than it is
Flag
I agree!
Flag
They can't ever kill Glen or Maggie. That'd be the saddest thing on television, ever. Except maybe the Red Wedding, and the death of Wash.
Flag
Why isn't Carol on the list?
Flag
Rick is Rick. Carl will survive and become a bad ass mofo because unless they find Rick a new love, they already killed off who he falls for after his wife dies in the comic, they can't have the main character going around with absolutley nothing to live for. Michonne will probably survive because AMC realises that having a strong black character is actually a good thing and they've got plenty of other black characters they can kill off instead to meet their quota. Maggie will out live Glenn and her sister which will turn her into a bad ass mofo, make her more relevent not less and her and Michonne will become the badest bytches in the South. Daryl will survive because fans of the show love him so much they'd riot and because he doesn't exist in the comic so AMC can't piss fans of the comic off, something they love to do, so wait, maybe Maggie will not survive much longer. Carol might survive since she is already dead in the comic book. Everyone else is fair game between now and the start of season five.
Flag
Michonne and Daryl will be the last Eve & Adam standing me thinks, cause there no antidote right?
Flag
Michonne of course!! She already HAS survived on her own, She will just grab two more meet sticks on chains and move on! :)
Flag
I know you didn't just group Sawyer with Solo…Cause GTFOHWTBS.
Flag
Solo sh*ts Sawyers after a healthy lunch.
Flag
Ya, I may not have put it so eloquently. :)

But I think it goes without saying that Solo > Sawyer.
Flag
Taken away Rick and Carl, who are not going to die for a while, I will put my money on DARYL and MICHONNE. Two strong people that will survive on their own in any conditions.
About CARL, I think he will go when it´s time for Rick to go (even more) crazy again. And then he, Rick, will have to go, or hide in his insanity in some hole in a cave, hopefully with a telephone next to him.
Flag
Daryl, he eats raccoons and has reusable ammo.
Flag
They will al survive ! Because Rick is going to wake up from his coma in the hospital and find that it was all a dream. Lol...
Flag
BRING BACK CAROL
Flag
She will likely come back. Let her go and gain some more experience so that perhaps maybe she can kill off Rick.
Flag
Actually... Sawyer did die....
Flag
I'm guessing you're thinking about the wrong Sawyer. Hint: the right one is Lost's.
Flag
I thought they *all* died on Lost?
Flag
Eventually...yes they all did die. But as of the end of (most of the characters') story on the Island...he did survive and lived out his life on the mainland, along with Kate, Claire, Richard, Miles, and Frank and Desmond.
Flag
Great job Tim - this was hilarious!! My vote is for Daryl - obviously! Michonne would be a close second. No need to mention Rick because in the writer's world: he's untouchable. I predict the following deaths are coming up before the Season is over: Sasha and Bob and that old lady that was on the bus.
Flag
Carol, even though she isn't on the list, she's a survivor. Rick (duh), my boo Daryl, and Michonne. Glen or Maggie are on the short list to die. Beth doesn't even register to me. I wish Tyree was a stronger character. Time for some new blood…so to speak. Please kill that creepy sisters. I always thought one of them killed the sick and Carol covered it up.
Flag
Tyreese bothers me. I almost want him to die. He ambles around between despondent uselessness and hammer-time rage. He doesn't like to go on runs, he doesn't like to kill fence zombies. All he wants to do is sing off key to pretty girls. It's almost like he doesn't want to be in a world infested with zombies.

Flag
Um. I love Glenn. Why no love for Glen?

And I think a good question would be which character you think you'd have the best chances of surviving with. I'd totally team up with Daryl; Gets shit done, is able to pull my dead weight, ability to feed me and keep me warm at night... wink wink.
Flag
I love Glenn, too, and I think Tim is wrong about his demise. Glenn is smart and brave. He may die, but he won't go down without a fight. He'll most likely die to contract negotiations rather than zombies.
Flag
My vote is for Daryl. I agree that either Maggie or Glenn probably won't make it far past this season. It's hard to gauge off of the comics because they're so different - people are alive on the show who aren't in the comics and vice versa. Just as my gut told me Hershel wouldn't make it past the mid-season, my gut is also telling me that either Maggie or Glenn don't have much time left on the show. As they bring new characters is (like they will with Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene) other characters have to go for there to be a good balance. Though, I think that if Judith is still alive (that baby carrier was pretty bloody, but you never know) they have to keep Beth, because honestly who else is going to take care of her? Definitely not Rick or Carl, as they've proven thus far. They could pull a kinda-comic move (warning comic spoilers … though it's much further down the road) .

They could kill off Glenn, and then sad Maggie could care for Judith, possibly not with the group in a safer location where people tend to die less frequently. I like Maggie's character (and Glenn's) so it's not like I want her to leave …. but if Glenn is gone, Hershel dead, Maggie and Beth (if Beth is still alive by this point) could easily go off somewhere else. If Beth isn't alive it's even more reason for Maggie to start anew. I'd rather see Glenn stick around over Maggie, personally. This is all the "if Judith is still alive" scenario. If she isn't than there's no reason to keep Maggie over Glenn. I could apparently go on forever about this - so I'll stop here before I write a novella.
More+
Flag
Lori will never die, she's still a cringe-worthy ever-present element on the show
Flag
Rick should die soon. His sloppiness, lack of preparedness, psychological break, and idiocy has cost the group time and time again.

Carl is one of the free kids on the show, he will be safe because he is the future of the show. Sadly because he is still young he guarantees Rick's safety because he isn't old enough to be on his own.

Daryl was built and bred for this. And he is the ultimate fan favorite he is safe as long as there is a show.

Glenn is a survivalist. He is quick, he is head strong and frankly he should have a bigger role in the group. He was the one that saved Rick's dumb ass when he locked himself in a tank. But he has been weakened as a character since the hook up with Maggie and she is a huge weakness for him.

Michonne to was built and bred for this. But she needs a bigger role than grimacing and slashing things. Plus the Governor got the drop on her twice so her reputation as a bad ass is diminished.

Maggie is awesome. But she kind of dropped the ball wen she didn't take the first shot when her dad was about to be killed. She is likely safe because she is one of the few women on there that is both personable and competent. However her character has been weakened a bit since her and Glenn started shacking up.

Beth is a lynchpin character, because we still don't know a lot about her and she has never been given a prominent role in the group. She is also, like Carl, the future of the group. There are plenty of stories that they can give her in the future.

Tyresse is useless. All anger no forethought, easily swayed to anything because he is an emotional asshole. He is an unbelievable character because all he uses is a hammer and gets in close to zombies to kill them. He should have already been bitten.

Sasha, honestly I had no idea she was still alive.

As for deaths. It should be Rick. It is frustrating how incompetent he is. He helped to lose them a freaking prison, the man is a selfish, self important ass who has two kids and no time for a breakdown or to become pacified.

One of Maggie and Glenn should die because as the two of them are tied together both start to lack in worth. At least that is the way that it has been written.

Daryl and Michonne seem to be the only ones that know what they are doing.

Carl and Beth are the future so they are unlikely to die. They are the ones that are supposed to give us hope for a happy ending.

Tyrese and Sasha can die. They haven't provided really anything for the group.

But overall they need to actually start being competent, this is coming on 3 years and they really haven't learned anything.
More+
Flag
Couldn't agree with you more about Glen, I think ppl forget how wily and capable he was before Maggie became more important to him then his own life. Their romance is at times a sweet one, but both characters have gone downhill in the desicion making dept since they became an item.
Flag
Glenn has mounds of potential as a character. He could easily lead the group. He's smart and he's strong, and he has nerves of steel. His weakness is his love for Maggie.
Flag
I would go as far as to say that Glenn has had the most of the crappy things happen to him. He and Daryl both. Glenn saved Rick, got them back into the city and out of the city, was lowered down the well to the fat zombie, had to deal Maggie almost being raped, broke himself out of the chair to kill the zombie, and got and survived the virus. And I am probably missing a few things. I am not sure what more can happen to him.
Flag
Michonne and Daryl have the best kickass survival skills. If it is just for show-shock value just kill off Rick, he is annoying and as for skills alone Beth will probably not make it.
Flag
Amazing how soon we forget about Glenn facing off against Merle and having to kill a zombie while tied to a chair. Glenn is badass when it counts and I would never count him out unless Maggie does something stupid to make Glenn do something stupid.
Flag
When Maggie dies...so does my soul so Im going to pretend you said she'll live forever opposite Rick, Daryl and Michonne. Those are thr core 4 to me. Im waiting for Carol or Glenn to bite it next.

Flag
why isn't Carol on this list? She is already on her own
Flag
Nicely played!

I hadn't though about Lauren Cohen's career arc. You're right, she's quickly getting too good for this show.

If I'm calling the shots, Glenn and Maggie go out together with a futile sacrifice attempt to save the other. Two well liked characters getting killed at the same time for love and nobility? That kind of emotional gut punch is just what this show needs...both for the fans and characters.

Oh, this is about survival? My bad. Rick, Daryl and Michonne because...well...duh.
Flag
Judith \o/
Flag
Daryl and Michonne....always bet on them!!
Flag
Sad to say, but I'm afraid Glenn's going to buy it this season, as Tim said, because the show needs the dramatic effect, and his character just isn't that important to the show anymore (much as I love him).

Great fun, TIm. Gave me a chuckle more than once, especially with the Life Expectancy for Beth Greene part. Haha.
Flag
Honestly don't care about any of them except Daryl, and maybe Michonne. I hope they do kill off most them the show could do with an injection of new (preferably interesting and kickass) faces. If Rick could go back to old Rick and stop moping around the place that would help improve his character.
Flag
I think michonne is a goner because now the governor out of the picture she's redundant , rick , carl and daryl will survive as they are more interesting characters. Carol will come back and also i reckon that they be a new enemy on the horizon. Looking at the dailies for casting. Judith survives as tyrese got her out but I do think the show has to come to some sort of conclusion by now otherwise it end up like dexter, rehashing the same story over and over again.
Flag
Only conclusion really would be they find a cure, the writers are somewhat limited in that regard. They can keep it new if they actually travelled around more I mean being stuck in a prison for 2 seasons .. YAWN. That's what made the first 2 seasons so enthralling they were constantly on the move exploring this new world. By confining the show to a farm or a prison just limits the entire scope of the show (I know their on a limited budget), can you imagine if they say managed to get to europe and other parts of the world and traveled through there.
Flag
TWD has at least 2-3 more(that could be) awesome seasons left in it... after that... who knows
Flag
Why is Carol not on that list?? Has it been confirmed she is no longer part of the show?? If so that has to be the LAMEST character dismissal EVER in the history of television
Flag
I am beginning to suspect that the zombie apocalypse made Daryl Dixon immortal, but rick because he is the main protagonist.
Flag
I get the votes for Daryl and Michonne. I do. But Daryl started the zombie apocalypse with his brother, they survived together for quite a while bfore they started teaming up with others. We don't know how Daryl, on his own, would or will do. I imagine he would make it for a good while, but he hasn't actually been alone, so who knows.
Michonne is an unknown. Maybe they showed more of her backstory in the comics, I don't know. So I don't know how or how many she started the Z>A with. maybe she was the sole survivor of a caravan of hundreds, maybe it was 3 people. So how she started isn't as easy to judge against Daryl. But when we first meet her, she has zombie pets, and the preview pictures show that she goes that route again. So At this point in time, I have to put her above Daryl. Because we know Daryl had his brother and then others before he became kick-ass. we still don't know about Michonne.
Having said that, my vote is for neither. I think Glen and Rick are the two favorites. For Glen, well we no almost nothing about his journey through the Z.A. But we know he got to the group, and was their point man for damn near everything. you have a hole to look into, Glen. You have a store to recon, Glen. You want to know if there is food in there, glen. So clearly before he met the group he had skills. And he is also a guy who is aware of his surroundings and situation, i.e he knew Rick was in trouble when he found him, but also wasn't trying to threaten everyone. And in the prison he knew his sickness was a danger to Maggie and the group, so he tried to stay away and was willing to die to protect them. (and that is the only knock I have against him surviving).
but number one has to be Rick!! Hell, he woke up after months in a coma, when his legs had enough strength, he ventured out into a hall way to find hell on earth. He didn't know what was going on, no news updates, no papers stapled to his bed sheets to warn him.
But as he realized the shit was bad, he made it out of a hospital where zombies wondered around. Then he went to his house looking for a clue to his family, found nothing. Met a guy who explained the basics of the Z.A, left to find his wife and child. FOUND THEM. Without use of a satellite system, or facebook, or what have you.
The led the group of idiots and inbreds to the goddam CDC,where they discovered that it was going to be an unending nightmare. And after a few conflicts in the group and with other groups (Governor, et al) He survived multiple onslaughts of VAST zombies hordes and he got out of the prison, with the help of his son.
Dude always finds a way to survive. Everyone has it in them,. okay. People in the crew get bitten, okay, don't get bitten.
Other humans attack us, okay, kill them.
Other humans may just be a threat, okay, kill them too.
Wife dies while giving birth to a possibly bastard child, okay . recovery on this one took longer, but he makes it through.
Rick is the Ultimate survivor.
Also Andrew Lincoln is a really great actor, (watch Teachers), and still the bonafide star of the show. (and I own Boondocks Saints 1&2)
More+
Flag
Rick (cause TWD is about him), Daryl and Michonne. While I'd miss some of the others, while these 3 keep kicking some ass I'm OK :D
Flag
While I fully believe left to his own devices, Daryl would outlast everyone. But I think its his tendency to help others, even at his own peril that would outdo him. I think with that in mind, Michonne is more likely to outlast him given her ability to leave behind pretty much anyone she hasn't spent months getting to know intimately.
Flag
Daryl and Michone, you cannot just vote for 1... Rick is just a given and if they stick even slightly closely with the comics, his kid will be around for a while still. I also read that just recently, within the past year i think, the comics finally killed Glen.
Flag
I can't believe you're bothering with a poll. Daryl, obvi.
Flag
Nah, Daryl already said he couldn't make it alone. Michonne, on the other hand, has survived on her own for quite a while.
Flag
Carol
Flag
Well this is an easy one , MICHONNE would survive till she dies of natural causes on her own. She is by far the toughest/resilient character on the show, both mentally and physically. Daryl would be 2nd just a bit behind Michonne in terms of surival but only because his weapon of choice the bow needs to be reloaded as opposed to the samurai sword which is efficient and Mich. can swing all day.
Flag
What is happening with Carol ? Is she being written off the show. Why is she not on that list?
Flag
and now that everyone is in the wind, they can meet her on the road somewhere.
Flag
Michonne should be part of that poll.

Just saying.
Flag
Sure, except someone else had already said it.
Flag
... Saying it twice doesn't make it less true.
Flag
"and hitting them on the head with a regular hammer" literally made me laugh out loud.I think Daryl will make it through anything,but I would be bummed if they killed off Glenn regardless of his less than stellar set of survivalist skills.
Flag
Did you guys forget to add Michone to your list because you know she's the clear winner?
Flag
Michonne, maybe. ;-p
Flag
Just blew my own mind.
Flag
Uh, they didn't name her Lil' Asskicker for no reason. Judith's gonna rack up a hefty body count and eventually grow up to be a nervous Judy Grimes played by Kristen Wiig.
Flag
Hehe, rishabhpb and Judith sittin' in a tree,

k-i-s-s-i-n-g !
Flag
(as played by Kristen Wiig, I'm OK with this)
Flag
This is a no-brainer,it's Daryl all the way!He rarely reacts when zombies are near,can kill from a distance and is a great tracker for finding or avoiding zombies.
After that,Rick,with his police training and his devotion to protect his family.
And let's not forget one that's out there already surviving.....Carol!
Flag
There's no contest, Daryl is the baddest of the bad and the coolest of the cool, a guy like that can't die
Flag
I think Rick, Daryl or Carl can survive on their own, they are thought, carl had his moments but he's getting better and knows a lot.
Flag
Your spelling is tough..;)

@
dictionary.reference.com/browse/tough
Flag
Follow this Show
Members