A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

If you watched this week's episode of The Walking Dead, you know that it included one of the best zombie slaughters of all time. It was also so dense and went by so fast that you might not've had time to fully enjoy it or to make a game out of it. Let's revisit the glorious murder of all those undead monsters by looking at every single zombie kill from the most gruesome scene in "Isolation," counting the individual kills, and declaring a winner. 

But first, let's set the stage. Things were going pretty smoothly as Daryl, Michonne, Bob, and Tyreese set out in search of medicine at a veterinarian hospital.

Some awkward jamz meant it was time to change the radio station and Daryl couldn't help himself with a little junior-high humor.

Then the ghost of Lori possessed Daryl and forced him to look away from the road and he almost crashed into a bunch of zombies! But because he's Daryl and not Lori, he didn't flip the car and kill everyone. Lori would have. But maybe he should've killed everyone because they were in deep doo-doo. In front of them were 1,000,000,000 zombies! I counted.

Daryl punched it in reverse but it was too late and he ended up in a six-zombie pileup and the car got stuck on a pile of squirmy corpses. Look at the splatter jetting out the back! I have been watching this GIF for 17 hours straight.

Hey, that reminds me of a joke. What do you call a zombie that's stuck under a car? Jack! Hahaha feel free to use that one at your local open mic. With nowhere to go, it was fight or get eaten and the group unanimously chose "fight," kicking off one of greatest zombie slaughters ever televised. But only one person can be crowned Number One Zombie Killer of the Day, and we have the technology to figure out who is the most deserving. First, let's introduce the contestants: 

Okay, enough chatter! Let's get to the fight! Ready, begin!

Daryl took an early lead with a crossbow shot. Then Michonne put all that time she spent playing Fruit Ninja to good use and racked up three quick kills.

Michonne 3, Daryl 1. Daryl earned some style points with his throwing knife. Too bad we're not counting style points.

Then he pulled the throwing knife out of that zombie's head and put it right back into another zombie's head! How resourceful!

Daryl 3, Michonne 3. Daryl, maybe get a bigger knife next time? Or at least some gloves? One more, right in a zombie's eye-hole.

Daryl 4, Michonne 3. 

Bob finally got in on the action and took out some biters with a gun thanks to whatever virus has infected all living people and given them the ability to be incredibly accurate with firearms.

Daryl 4, Michonne 3, Bob 1. But where was Tyreese? Why hasn't he scored yet? Because he was still in the car.

Some people are just slow starters. Meanwhile, Michonne and Daryl were still fighting for first place.

That's two more for Michonne, and while I'd love to give Daryl credit for that crossbow-whip in the foreground, we need definitive kills here! Michonne 5, Daryl 4, Bob 1. 

Then Daryl and Bob each added one more kill:

That's Michonne and Daryl tied for 5, Bob with 2, and Tyreese still at a big, fat zero because he was still listening to Milli Vanilli. 

Daryl jumped into the lead again:

Daryl 7, Michonne 5, Bob 2. Make that Bob 3!

Make that 4!

And then it happened. Tyreese got out of the car and went on a mission.

Tyreese was on the board! Daryl 7, Michonne 5, Bob 4, Tyreese 1. And then Tyreese kinda went nuts.

I slowed down his killing spree just for you:

Take it easy on the shoulder, Tyreese! That put Tyreese at 9 kills, and he jumped into the lead! Tyrese 9, Daryl 7, Michonne 5, Bob 4. Add another for Daryl:

And two more for Tyrese:

Updated score: Tyrese 11, Daryl 8, Michonne stuck at 5, Bob 4. Daryl, Michonne, and Bob decided to bounce, leaving Tyreese and his hammer to find their own way out. And after a quick commercial break, the cowardly trio got one more kill each:

Tyrese 11, Daryl 9, Michonne 6, Bob 5. It was close! But then some zombies came out of the woods and...

Tyreese killed one of them! Tyreese 12, Daryl 9, Michonne 6, Bob 5. Add one final kill for Michonne with a well-placed poke...

And the final scores were Tyreese 12, Daryl 9, Michonne 7, and Bob 5. Congratulation to Tyreese! 

Pick up your prize of four beheaded, half-eaten rat bodies at the fence outside the prison. Thanks for playing! Why can't The Walking Dead just be this for an hour every week?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

95 Comments
Comments (95)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
this is good.
Flag
love it, can you keep a score card like this every week please :)
Flag
this post just made my day.
Flag
You know, Tim, I appreciate that you love the pure zombie gorieness of the show, but I feel like you're missing the point of Walking Dead. If all you want is a zombie kill-fest, then maybe this show will never live up to your needs. The show, like the book, was never meant to be exclusively about the zombies. It's always been about what happens to people in an apocolypse situation, that just happens to be caused by zombies. The real value of the show is exploring how the people change by being in this dreadful situation. I like a good zombie killing action scene too, but to have an hour straight of this every week would get me to tune out.
Flag
OMG haha that was hilarious!
Flag
Tim so well done! but.. could you please put the Michonne footage on slow motion?
Flag
While watching the episode yesterday, I was wondering if the producers would have the baby turn into a zombie over night after getting sick and go on a rampage
Poll

. I really hope not, but since they are killing children like they did with Sofia: that moment was hard to watch by the way.

Flag
What made Sophia so hard is that everyone was convinced they would find her alive, they spent half the season mocking Hershel's sentimentality only to be hit by that same sentimentality the moment she got out of the barn.

And then Rick shot her.
Flag
Tyreese has to make it alive to make the face-to-face event with Carol. She is bad ass. Will she genocide all the sick people ? Go for it Carol !
Flag
Seriously, I hope Tim Surette never retires from reviewing and photo recapping. Sooo hilarious!
Flag
Carol is a bad ass !!! Like it.
Flag
Great review :'D
Flag
Please, please, please can we officially retire the name 'biters' please? It was stupid when they first said it, it feels even more stupid now...
Flag
It was a little unbelievable that Tyresse even made it out alive. Some of the biters should have already got to him on the 11th killed according to your score. How can so many biters surround him and he can break free.
Flag
It is crazy, but its the way it happen in the comic books too, he killed like 1000 of them cuz he was MAD as HELL. I guess it was just a treat to show how badass he is.
Flag
Nice - which comic book is it that has this scene? I'd love to check it out.
Flag
yes you should def check it out, I don't remember the exact issue of the walking dead but it has to be around 7-10th it happen in the prison gym
Flag
Because it's not in the script that he should die yet.
Also, he's not T-Dog.
Also, Tyreese/Carol storyline not done with yet.
Flag
I was groaning when Bob started shooting, they only drew the attention of the outer area of zombies fighting but those gunshots would be pulling the megaherd down on them
Flag
Tim......awesome review, dude! I got some MAJOR laffs out of your approach, which was totally appropriate for the episode. And thanks for highlighting the classic shot of Daryl's wheels being stuck in the "mud".....the mud of zombie guts, that is. Question--would studded snow tires be helpful in situations like that?

and don't be too sure that Ty DIDN'T get bit a few times as he hammered his way out of that biter bash.......he def has some blood and mess on him as he rejoined the other three.
Flag
I agree, I thought Tyreese looked a bit beaten (or bitten) up when he emerged from the bushes, don't be surprised if he's getting a knife to the ear at the start of next week's episode!
Flag
Boooooooooooooring!
Flag
Missed it Sunday night and when I got to it Monday I realized my TV must have turned itself off then back on cause there was an isolation that was 40 minutes or so and one that was 5 minutes. I started it with the trepidation that I was clearly going o miss 15 minutes and guess when it cut out...go I dare you...yep I missed the action and after about 40 minutes of talking and exposition i needed that action. I did however get to see Carol admit she kill those two sick people last week and then burn them. WTF! I know she was trying to protect the group, but didn't they create the council so people wouldn't run off and make decisions like that. It seems to me like she's just taking it upon herself to make decisions about what's best for the group (I'm thinking of the kids and the knives here too), and i can see this leading nowhere good.
Flag
How was Tyreese able to just sit in the car for that long with the door open and for no zombie to attack him. Not to mention how he got out of being completely surrounded by zombies when he finally did get out??? Yet Michonne nearly got taken out last week by two.
Flag
Oh as for getting away, he was doing a pretty good job whittling down the crowd but if he dropped to one knee and swung those massive tree trunks he calls arms around he could have knocked them back enough to duck out of the circle of death then it's just a matter of braining the stragglers he runs across as he catches up with the group...
Flag
Because there were three other people running around drawing attention
Flag
As the others made their way in to the woods, Tyreese was completely surrounded by zombies, you can see it clearly in the picture. The other three were not drawing attention then. Daryll called the new guy and they ran in to woods before they camera went back to a surrounded Tyreese.
Flag
Wait... isn't that your complaint? that they all don't act the same? then saying if they don't all act the same they should act differently on the show? they've shown some moaning, some not.. some almost jogging, some shuffling along. some more aware, some more easily distracted. if you notice from the first season, some were quiet in Atlanta... second season, the herd that run through them on the highway was mainly quiet, the one in the pharmacy was quiet... they've had lots of examples where they aren't all moaning and groaning non stop.
Flag
Yeah, but as far as your question about how he could sit in the car so long without getting attacked it was because the other three were running around fighting and drawing attention. same concept with their little motion machine by the fence letting Carol get to the stream to fix the pipe because they were all fixated on the movement.
Flag
@borgsblueyes ... fair enough. I always thought (and too, found cool) that there were varying types of zombies. The slow ones, the fast ones, the lazy ones, the ones with super-hearing, etc. you get my point ;)
Flag
@zampognaro because zombies are dead. They don't have cognitive thinking, reasoning, emotions. And if they have varying types of zombies, which would be cool. The show should make that known.
Flag
If humans dont all act the same way and follow a set of rules .... why should zombies?
Flag
There were way more zombies than distractions. The writers changes how the zombies react based on what they need for the storyline instead of having a consistent set of rule for the zombies. The zombies grunt and groan all the time, except the one quiet zombie who was able to sneak up behind Andrea last season. Michonne is nearly killed by two going in the gate last week but can fight free of loads this week. If it's that easy for Tyreese to get free, why can't they go out as a group and clear the fence? I like Tyreese, I'm glad he as those big arms to get free, but I would just like some consistency from the writers too.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I voted for Michonne because her kills were more artistic.
Flag
So Daryl killed more walkers with a crossbow (which is slow as hell) and a knife, than Michonne who has a katana that slices zombie heads like butter?
Flag
no contest. Tyreese off screen kills even out scores his on screen kills, Love the captions.
Flag
Tyresse killed it!
Flag
about the picture where we see the million zombies in the background , who are they ? we see a train apparently so you think it is the passenger of the train , but this train is here for a long time I guess , it's the zombie apocalypse for a moment now , so why all those zombies are still there ? they have been waiting here all that time ?

I think it was just a stupid view , just a really huge herd of zombies , the biggest ever in this show by far ... but why and how ? we'll never know.

My hope is that those 4 survivors will go back to the prison , the herd will follow them and that will be the reason for everyone to finally quit this prison.
Flag
It seems reasonable to me that zombies would act like sheep and follow each other around. I guess it then stands to reason that you could get some really big groups coming together. I hope they try to explain it a little on the show, they focus on this stuff more in the comics.
Flag
That's not a train, those are buildings. Also that will make the hight of the people and the buildings proportionally. It would have been a huge train otherwise.
Flag
yes I watched it again and it's not a train , I was wrong.
Flag
Probably the University. Probably the Student Bodies...get it...
:p
Flag
As much as I love Daryl and his style while killing zombies, I have to give it to Tyreese. He unleashed the BEAST!
Flag
michonne my favorite character
Flag
Michonne is not really a great character , but she is the most deadly of them all. Her sword is just the perfect weapon in this world , it cuts everything , it's a weapon with a lot of range so you don't really risk a bite by coming to close , it's silent too , I mean it's really the perfect weapon , I love to see her kill zombies , but then it annoys me so much when the writers do the opposite , the other day when 2 stupid zombies almost killed her at the gate , it was really stupid writing.

it's so annoying to see one scene where they kill so many zombies , and 2 days after they are afraid about a pair of zombies outside the prison ... be consistent in the writing please !!!

I like the photo recap , it's really the best format for a review
Flag
That is why the katana is my weapon of choice.

Well it's either work your way through the zombie heard or die. If you're all ready safe inside the prison do you really want to risk an accident unless you really have to? It's not bad writing. Think outside the box.
Flag
do you remember when Carl was playing with a zombie in the woods ? season 1 or 2 I don't remember , but the zombie was blocked , and carl made a mistake and this zombie killed the old men if I remember correctly ...
so now with hershel in the woods , they have 2 zombies , one that can't move and one girl right in front of his gun , and hershel said " don't do it , you don't HAVE to ...
So you let those zombies live for what reason ? save a bullet ? carl's gun is silent so it's not about the noise of the gun , and carl have killed many zombies already and even a human , so one more zombie would not be traumatic at all.

if you think outside the box like you are saying , the smart thing to do would be to kill those zombies now that you have the chance , if you want to save a bullet then use a knife or a piece of wood , but kill them !!!
if next episode we see that zombie girl near the prison I will laugh.
More +
Flag
It wasn't necessary to use a bullet in that situation. The zombie was by itself and had a bear trap on it's foot.

Plus I think Hershel wants Carl to start thinking before acting like when he literally killed that kid for no reason.
Flag
To save a bullet seems like a good enough reason. Until now I thought that WAS the reason, but now I remember that Hershel used to have some controversial views about walkers. He may not have let them go completely.

But yeah, they should totally clean up outside that fence several times a day.
Flag
Maybe Hershel has revisited his original views on the "dead". That couple in the woods seemed to stick together, even after being turned. Maybe he sees this as a shred of their humanity surviving. If they were just animals, wouldn't they move on to greener pastures rather than hang around their half-eaten bf?

Just the thought that popped into my head after watching this scene. First thought was save the bullet, gun powder isn't easy to manufacture. But, Hershel didn't tell Carl to use another weapon. It was like he was trying to save Carl's humanity by showing that they can be left to do their own thing if they aren't bothering you. Treat them like hungry bears... Do you stop going into the woods when you know there are predators there? No. Do you go to the woods in an attempt to rid them of said predator? No. You kill when you need to kill and you live and let live...well unlive...
Flag
When Hershel said to let them go all I thought was: shouldn't they be killing every zombie they find? Are they ever going to think long term about getting this thing under control? Every zombie you kill is one less that can kill, and therefore turn, any passerby trying to survive in the woods
Flag
Haha nice job on the article
Flag
Great Job Tim. Can we look forward to this every week???
Flag
Funny article! But I believe you left out:

Flag
...did I miss Hershal getting a prosthetic? Or was there a serious error in continuity in this episode?
Flag
It was on the season premiere, you can see his prosthetic when Hershel is talking with Rick about the woman who never made it to her honeymon.

Rick is holding Judith and Hershel is holding his prosthetic leg.
Flag
It happened between seasons like lots of other stuff?
Flag
Tyreese killed at least 50 zombies off camera to get out of that mess, at least. When they left him he looked like he was toast, to get out of that he had to kill a boatload.
Flag
Or just push enough of them to the side so that he could get through. I think that was a more viable strategy actually, because if he had stayed there long enough to kill the 20 or so surrounding him, another 20 would have had time to get to him.
Flag
I voted for Daryl obviously. I mean look the boy recycles and everything!
Flag
So did I - the guy is just zombie killing awesomeness all the time and loves the environment.
Flag
zombies won this fight. still 999,990 left to go. i counted too
Flag
I cannot in good conscience award the win to Tyrese. Look at those pictures! There are zombies *right behind* him, and he's just smashing the ones in front. There is absolutely no way that he got out of that mess without a single bite or scratch mark. I'm sorry, but no. You know how Zoe called zombie bullshit? I'm calling survivor bullshit. No. Just no.
Flag
He also moved as if he was injured when he caught up with the others.
Flag
The ghost of Lori. Dying.
Flag
hahahaha, very funny, love the pictures.. :)
Flag
I will vote for Michonne every time so I'm clearly not subjective.
Flag
Ok, so you're objective. That's good.
Flag
Yea, I just noticed that slip-up. Lol oops my bad.
Flag
I vote for Michonne on principle.
Flag
I do too, see above.
Flag
Great job with the gifs and the counting Tim. I never even thought to count the kills. I just sat back and watched that beautifully disgusting mayhem unfold. That was an incredible scene. Don't make Tyreese angry. Zombies wouldn't like him when he's angry...lol
Flag
Bob won the slaughter, just because he's awesome and he played in The Wire.
Flag
So did Tyreese, so that's a wash. And Cutty lived longer. Tyreese still wins.
Flag
Really? Nice, I'm only at season 1.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members