A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC (Returning October 12th, 2014)
Being an avid read of the comics it has always been interesting to me how Kirkman has strayed from his original story for the series; or as he put it himself, the show is his do-over in some respects. I'm not doing to spoil what is to come in the comics, only what has happened up until the point we're at in the show. So stop reading if you want to read the comics for yourself (which I highly recommend btw!).

This is my TOP 5 changes show vs. the comic (thus far):

5) I the comic Andrea didn't die!!! How unfortunate, right? I have to say IMO the comic portrays Andrea in a much less whiny, annoying, want to smack across the face way. She's not my favorite, by far, but she's far more tolerable. If the Andrea in the show was the Andrea in the comic, I'd be tempted to burn them.

4) In the comic Carol has a little cray-cray (I now hate myself for saying cray-cray). She wanted to be Lori's sister wife, which did add some flare I guess, and I'll admit for a while I thought comic-Carol was far more interesting that series-Carol. However, Carol became a huge badass on the show - which was an amazing transformation to see. Overall I think series-Carol wins most improved, and far surpasses the comic-Carol's depth of character - with the exception of the whole sister wife thing.

3) IN THE COMIC THEY DIDN'T STAY AT THE PRISON FOR A FRIGGEN CENTURY. Okay, I admit I'm super annoyed they've been at the prison for so long. It was great at first, a change of scenery, new challenges, and so on. I even like what they did with the prison in the show! There are so many differences between the two prisons that I won't go into for fear of spoiler territory and I truly have liked what they decided to revise. If it weren't for the sheer amount of time they've spent there I think I would've liked series-Prison better than comic-Prison - but jeez at this pace I'll be retired before the show starts to catch up.

2) In the comic: RIP Judith. Alas, the littlest Grimes died in her mother's arms. This also highlights Lori's death being different in the comic. During an attack on the prison Lori tries to run to safety in the prison yard, holding Judith tightly in her arms. Lori is shot in the back and the bullet takes both her and the baby's lives. In the show Judith is a beacon of hope, of life, and a reminder of how dangerous this new life can be. I'm still torn about which version, comic or show, I prefer in regards to Judith. It's probably logistically much easier to not have a baby around to figure out what to do with constantly and still make things lively. They've done a good job on the show of keeping Judith around without having her be around constantly, actually now that I think about it I have no idea where she is most of the time in the show, but every once and awhile Rick holds her, Beth rocks and feeds her, even Michonne broke down and held her. I think there's a different emotional connection to her on television and her in a comic. Don't get me wrong, I think the comics evoke extreme emotion, but for me Judith's death didn't wasn't as shocking as I think it would be on television.

1) In both the show and the comic Carl shoots Shane, yes, but in the comic he shoots alive and kickin' Shane who's about to kill daddy, and Carl wasn't having any of that. It happens much earlier on too, but that's not as interesting. In the show Rick killing Shane was a huge turning point and still plays a role in how everyone views Rick - Carol even throws it in his face justifying her killing and burning Karen and David's bodies. In a way it's the crux of Rick Grimes' character. Rick killing Shane, only to have Shane turn is also the first time that we see an un-bit, un-scratched person turn into a Walker. Having read the comic version of this tale so long ago it's hard to imagine that it happened any other way than the way the show portrayed it, only because this one moment in time holds such significance not only for Rick but for the entire group from that point forward. The comic-Shane's death held a different significance, as it showed Carl backing up his dad. It also showed the first signs of mature, badass Carl - a vast difference from the Carl who was constantly told to get in the house on the show. I don't hate the comic version at all, it holds its own, but it doesn't hold a candle to the show's portrayal of Shane's death if only for the fact that it was a series-changing catalyst. I'm a huge fan of the series-Shane death and would like to go on living in denial pretending that's how it was meant to be.

There is SO much more I could include here, but I'll leave it here and let everyone else weigh in. What are your favorite show vs. comic changes thus far?

Follow this Show
Members