We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC
Being an avid read of the comics it has always been interesting to me how Kirkman has strayed from his original story for the series; or as he put it himself, the show is his do-over in some respects. I'm not doing to spoil what is to come in the comics, only what has happened up until the point we're at in the show. So stop reading if you want to read the comics for yourself (which I highly recommend btw!).

This is my TOP 5 changes show vs. the comic (thus far):

5) I the comic Andrea didn't die!!! How unfortunate, right? I have to say IMO the comic portrays Andrea in a much less whiny, annoying, want to smack across the face way. She's not my favorite, by far, but she's far more tolerable. If the Andrea in the show was the Andrea in the comic, I'd be tempted to burn them.

4) In the comic Carol has a little cray-cray (I now hate myself for saying cray-cray). She wanted to be Lori's sister wife, which did add some flare I guess, and I'll admit for a while I thought comic-Carol was far more interesting that series-Carol. However, Carol became a huge badass on the show - which was an amazing transformation to see. Overall I think series-Carol wins most improved, and far surpasses the comic-Carol's depth of character - with the exception of the whole sister wife thing.

3) IN THE COMIC THEY DIDN'T STAY AT THE PRISON FOR A FRIGGEN CENTURY. Okay, I admit I'm super annoyed they've been at the prison for so long. It was great at first, a change of scenery, new challenges, and so on. I even like what they did with the prison in the show! There are so many differences between the two prisons that I won't go into for fear of spoiler territory and I truly have liked what they decided to revise. If it weren't for the sheer amount of time they've spent there I think I would've liked series-Prison better than comic-Prison - but jeez at this pace I'll be retired before the show starts to catch up.

2) In the comic: RIP Judith. Alas, the littlest Grimes died in her mother's arms. This also highlights Lori's death being different in the comic. During an attack on the prison Lori tries to run to safety in the prison yard, holding Judith tightly in her arms. Lori is shot in the back and the bullet takes both her and the baby's lives. In the show Judith is a beacon of hope, of life, and a reminder of how dangerous this new life can be. I'm still torn about which version, comic or show, I prefer in regards to Judith. It's probably logistically much easier to not have a baby around to figure out what to do with constantly and still make things lively. They've done a good job on the show of keeping Judith around without having her be around constantly, actually now that I think about it I have no idea where she is most of the time in the show, but every once and awhile Rick holds her, Beth rocks and feeds her, even Michonne broke down and held her. I think there's a different emotional connection to her on television and her in a comic. Don't get me wrong, I think the comics evoke extreme emotion, but for me Judith's death didn't wasn't as shocking as I think it would be on television.

1) In both the show and the comic Carl shoots Shane, yes, but in the comic he shoots alive and kickin' Shane who's about to kill daddy, and Carl wasn't having any of that. It happens much earlier on too, but that's not as interesting. In the show Rick killing Shane was a huge turning point and still plays a role in how everyone views Rick - Carol even throws it in his face justifying her killing and burning Karen and David's bodies. In a way it's the crux of Rick Grimes' character. Rick killing Shane, only to have Shane turn is also the first time that we see an un-bit, un-scratched person turn into a Walker. Having read the comic version of this tale so long ago it's hard to imagine that it happened any other way than the way the show portrayed it, only because this one moment in time holds such significance not only for Rick but for the entire group from that point forward. The comic-Shane's death held a different significance, as it showed Carl backing up his dad. It also showed the first signs of mature, badass Carl - a vast difference from the Carl who was constantly told to get in the house on the show. I don't hate the comic version at all, it holds its own, but it doesn't hold a candle to the show's portrayal of Shane's death if only for the fact that it was a series-changing catalyst. I'm a huge fan of the series-Shane death and would like to go on living in denial pretending that's how it was meant to be.

There is SO much more I could include here, but I'll leave it here and let everyone else weigh in. What are your favorite show vs. comic changes thus far?

Comments (31)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am torn between the comics and the show too. I love both of them for their own reasons. I have come to realize that Lizzie reminds me of Billy from the comics. http://wp.me/3XWcR
Flag
Re #4: I don't ever see them directly doing this in the show, but when Carole suggested becoming a sister wife in the comic I had hopes Kirkman might spend some time exploring the sexual-marital dynamics of relationships in the zombie apocalypse. Might multiple bonds be more common in that world? Or would it be too difficult emotionally to become attached to more than one mate?
Flag
They were in the prison for six volumes in the comic, as opposed to two issues combined for on the road and on the farm. That's a pretty long time.
Flag
You forgot that in the comic Carl was shot in the eye... In season 2 of the tv series he is shot by Hershal's son when killing the deer..
Flag
That was Otis - Patricia's husband - on the show: Hershel didn't have a son on the show and Otis wasn't married to Patricia in the comic book.

But you're completely right he missed the eye, and shot him in the stomach. Also, Shane wasn't alive to kill Otis at the time, so he must have died in a completely different way in the comics.
Flag
Carl was shot in the eye waaaaay later. It wasn't the deer hunting scene that lost him his eye. It was when Rick and Carl were killing there way out of a major shit storm of walkers overruning their community. It was stupid Douglas blindly shooting into the herd that struck Carl.
Flag
The point remains this show's Hershel has no son that could shot Carl, and the man that did shot him was a husband instead of an old friend.

Also, the wife of the shooter should be alive where Hershel's other daughter should be dead by this point on the comic, and show's Beth is very much alive (where Otis's wife died on the farm).
Flag
*their way out...
(I had to grammar nazi myself. I hate those kinds of mistakes!)
Flag
  • Beth is a big difference, and now that we're seeing her character grow, a great addition! In the books Maggie is the only one of Herschel's kids that survives. His younger two daughters die in the prison in a horrific way by the hand of one of the inmates.
  • Come to think of it, that was a big difference too. The inmates on the show didn't get fleshed out as characters quite as much. We didn't really get to appreciate Axel as one of the group as much on the show before he died. I felt like his death was more impactful in the books.
  • The phone calls Rick got from dead Lori were an awesome part of the books, but in the show it was over so quick and it felt sort of silly.
Flag
If we're talking about Tyreese: he never met Andrea, dated Carol or slept with Michonne.

Karen, an original character from the show, seemed a better choice for him, I'm not sure Tyreese had a sister in the comic book, but if he didn't he should've had because Sasha has been a positive addition to the show.
Flag
He didn't have a sister in the comic, he had a daughter. I think his relationship with Sasha has been in place of that relationship he had with his daughter, but if that's the case, then Sasha's chance of survival isn't looking good.
Flag
I remember it from wikipedia, it was those two with the suicide pact: only it was Tyreese's daughter & her boyfriend, rather than one of Hershel's children.

Although the plot was completely different, I found ironic Tyreese was the one to dispose of the bodies in the same fashion Carol did so - with Karen and David - on the show.

I still like Sasha better, she was amazing around Ben's family, she spoke her mind with the Governor and she really grounded Tyreese for as along as she was healthy.

She's been the first sick character I was invested in because of who she was, not by what she meant to another character (like Patrick or Karen), the way she introduces the audience to the quarantine cell block was amazing.

I wish she'd make it though, but I've got to admit time is running against her.
Flag
I'll throw another one in: In the comic Tyreese is practically Rick's right-hand man (no pun intended, but with the loss of his own Rick kinda needs one doesn't he?!). The show has added a lot of depth to Tyreese's character, but it's a much different ind of depth than the comic. As this season has progressed I keep waiting for their bromance to emerge!!!
Flag
The biggest difference I can think of are Daryl & Merle, Dr. Jenner and the CDC and, of course, Patrick.

It's amazing how three characters, that didn't even have a big part at first, could move the story forward in such a way!

The show definitely improved the storyline with them.
Flag
If I'm remembering correctly, Robert Kirkman said he would have written the CDC plot into the comics if he had actually realized that the CDC was based out of Atlanta, Georgia.

I thought that was funny.

Flag
And T-Dog!!!

I almost forgot T-Dog & his issues with Merle, his goodbye to Jaqui and the van he used to rescue people at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.
Flag
Rick's Hand still being firmly attached has to be in there somewhere.
Flag
And Hershel's leg took over the role of Dale's leg.
Flag
I like that show-Herschel has kinda taken over the role of comic-Dale. I really like Herschel's character and am glad he's still around. I keep wondering if he's going to get Dale's epic "tainted meat!" line some time in the future.
Flag
I think the outbreak took the role of the cannibal on the show.

At least, according to wikipedia, there was no outbreak in the comic books.
Flag
I recall seeing the cannibals on one episode on the show. I don't remember what happened to them. I think they were killed in the bar by Rick.
Flag
Yeah, I think the cannibals will appear sometime in the future. I think it'd be cool if they expanded their storyline to perhaps set them up as villains for the next season.
Flag
No, there was no outbreak in the books. But there's still time for the show to come across the cannibals! That didn't happen till after they left the prison anyway.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think one of the best improvement the show has made vs. the comic is Carol. I love show Carol and was sad to see her have to leave the group (hopefully she'll show up in the future sometime, and be even more badass). Whereas comic Carol was totally nuts and whiny and needy! She even commits suicide by letting herself be eaten by a zombie...crazy.

But the show did stumble when it came to Andrea. She's so much better in the comics.

And totally agree about Shane. He wasn't really well developed in the comics at all.

Hmmm....other changes. I like the show Governor better than the comics. I thought his charming demeanor on the show was much more believable than the dictator comic version. Also, whenever the show does get around to killing the Governor, I do hope it's amazing. Cause I never liked the way he was put down in the comics, I mean, I guess it was the most likely scenario for his own people to turn on him, but it just left me feeling empty. I really wanted to see Rick kill him. Or in the show's case, I wouldn't mind seeing Michonne take him out.
More+
Flag
To me, one of the biggest improvements over the comic book was the way Lori died for it had more meaning in the sense she did it for her kids, and was able to say goodbye.

Shane is another characters that improved leaps and bounds: by giving him time to grieve with Rick, to say he was sorry to Carol, to act fatherly around Carl, to be rebellious towards Dale, to cheat on Lori with Andrea and so on.
Flag
5. I agree and disagree with this point. While I agree that comic Andrea sounds like a far better character, show Andrea was annoying as all Hell and I for one am glad that she's dead.

4. Agree. Comic Carol's storyline was interesting, but it better not touch show Carol at all!! Give it to someone else! Show Carol is too awesome to go down the path that her comic counterpart did.

3. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what the big deal is with the prison. Everybody says that it was better when they were on the road, but... Uh... What are ya'll talking about?? They were on the road in episode 1.1, 1.2, 1.5, 2.1, part of 2.13, and part of 3.1... That's it! I don't see how those few episodes are enough to claim that that's enough of a sign that being out on the road would result in a much better show. I really like the prison. I think it brings stability, and stability means that stories can have time to breathe and expand and actually do something other than just randomly stop because, oh, we gotta run now!!

2. I hope Judith lives. I really do. I want to see her as a toddler at some point. I think it'd be great.

1. I can't really comment on this one as I have never read the comic, but I think I agree. The show sounds like it handled it much better, but I also really hated the Shane character, so I wanted him dead very, very early on. So, ha, I dunno. I think I would have been fine with him dying early!

As for my own choice...

Definitely the new characters in the show. I think Daryl in particular as an addition has been fantastic so far. He's just such a central part of the story, I can't imagine reading/watching this story without him. I also love Merle, Sasha, Beth, and even T-Dog, and I know they aren't around in the comics either.
More+
Flag
I would say Sophia still being alive is a pretty big difference. If Judith is a beacon of hope, Sophia's emergence from the barn nearly destroyed it.
Flag
Judith being alive when she wasn't in the comic book, Sophia's death when she was alive in the comic book.
Flag
What about Daryl and Merle? Weren't they never in the comics at all?
Flag
Yep, they're original to the show. Easily the best edition/change to the Walking Dead universe, imo.
Flag
I don't read the comics Tanis but those 2 are/were easily my fav characters.
Daryl is awesome!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members