A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

5) Anything you can do, he can do better.
The hallmark of a great villian is not to enjoy evil - to act insane or to stir up trouble - but to actually outsmart the leading man. And Brian outwit Rick in a way no other character ever could.

What made Brian dangerous wasn't the fact he's a natural leader, but a more decisive one than Rick. It wasn't the fact Brian formed connections, but the fact he wasn't afraid of them. It wasn't the fact he was a father, but how devoted he was to his children.

4) He's not afraid to reinvent himself.
Where it took Carol for Rick to realize he can't be just a farmer anymore, the Governor knew long before Meghan he could be a leader as well as a father, long before Martinez he could be a leader as well as a murderer, long before Milton he could be judge as well as executioner.

The Governor could navigate through these roles as easily as he could be comfortable in his own skin, where Rick was conflicted Brian grew determined, where Rick was hesitant Brian was not, where Rick left Carol, Brian embraced Meghan and Lily.

3) He can come back from the things he has done.
The biggest fear in a zombie apocalypse is that, the very things you do to survive, are the things that detach you from the rest of mankind, but The Governor went from losing his daughter to fathering Meghan, from killing Milton to mentor Tara, from what he did to Andrea to what he did for Lily.

He went from a man that refused to let go of his first born, to the surrogate father that was able to spare his youngest daughter from the same fate.

2) He never gives up.
Its not how many times you fall down, but how many times you are willing to rise afterwards. And The Governor rose as many times as he fell, without using phones to talk to his dead wife, without alienating himself from his children. Who knows how many times he would've made it again if it weren't for Michonne.

1) He hits you where it hurts the most.
He's not going to scold Merle because of his brother: he's going to make him fight his brother to death. He's not going to demand Milton to kill his best friend: he's going to shot him in the gut, knowing as he bleed out that he was only going turn to kill Andrea himself. He wasn't going to tell Rick he's a better leader, he showed him in the most brutal and painful way as possible.

So, which are your top 5 reasons why The Governor is scarier than zombies? Are you okay with the way he was defeated? Was it a fluke? Should he have survived last season? Does he really deserve to be the Best Villain 2013?

poll

65 Comments
Comments (63)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I liked the way I kept thinking he actually changed.
Flag
I love the characters that keeps me guessing: The Governor (The Walking Dead), Jaime Lannister (Game of Thrones), Ben Linus (Lost), etc.

The storyline take a slightly different angle and you see them through a whole new perspective!
Flag
David Morrissey is great! Anyone see the recent British mini-series "The 7:39"? He's so loveable! Respect.
Flag
Yes i've seen and loved it!
Flag
Still missing the Governor! The show won't be the same without him.
Flag
haha easily my favourite character! i have a twisted taste in characters though, i mean Shane being my second favorite. I must admit that the comic's governor was waaay better, but the show changed him to make it impossible to know more than a few significant events that would happen, and thats what makes this show great. Note: I really hope they don't sidestep this half of the season, the pacing has been very good and the prison is gone, lets atleast get them to the church, maybe meet the hunters, and also! something that never bothered me till i read the comics, GET RID OF RICK'S HAND! it doesn't belong! i was so hoping the governor would cut it off in his last moments, maybe instead of Dale have the Hunters take Rick and eat his hand instead, it's gotta be done it's a huge part of his character.
Flag
Um. Spoiler alert much? ;) Just kidding! Like you said, how it all plays out on TV will still keep us surprised and entertained.
Flag
finally he is dead...!!
Flag
I am going to miss him

...which isn't something I usually say about the villains.
Flag
I get you ionee24! I'm going to miss him too. He was my favorite character and definitely the best villain ever.
Flag
The Governor was a lame villian (on the show). He had no charisma and was just annoying, plus he looked and acted nothing like the character from the comics, an *amazing* villain.
Flag
Yeah, sorry, no. I mean, he "was" a good villian in the early part of 2013, but I'd say his master stroke to attack the prison "again", but with far less strategy (just a tank and a hostage he didn't hold onto for very long...) kind of took him out of the running.
Flag
Good article. Very interesting contrast with Rick. However, although he told Lily his name was Brian, the Governor's real name was Phillip.
Flag
A lot of the governor stuff this season came from The Rise of the Governor. If you read it you'll get the name reference, otherwise it's just a kind of weird thing he says.
Flag
Actually, it cames from the Brian Heriot Grafitti featured on the show (I think The Governor wanted to adopt the name of someone whose safety people were concerned for)
Flag
I tend to use Brian to contrast The Governor before and after Woodbury, not as a real name thing.

(It's like, whenever I'm mad at Rick, I just call him Grimes)
Flag
Okey, doke. Whatever floats your boat. That was an insightful article.
Flag
Not for nothin'...but I'm not sure The Governor is the best villain on TWD never mind going up against the best of the best from other shows.
Flag
My favorite villain? THE FLU.

Seriously. I loved it. I loved seeing people getting sick and the claustrophobic feel that it brought to the show. Plus, it's super scary, because you can't see it. So, my vote went to Other.

But David Morissey deserves a round of applause for his great work on the show.
Flag
I'd say The flu beat the Walkers and Vi (the CDC virtual intelligence computer-self destruct mechanism) as the thing to fear the most during a zombie apocalypse.
Flag
I'm still catching up on season 3 so the governor definitely gets might vote for the villain of 2012.
Flag
Remember: everything on the second half from the Dixons reunion until the fall of Woodbury is 2013.
Flag
good point. ok. he gets my vote for 2012 AND 2013.
Flag
he just died in last episode
Flag
no, not cool at all, spoiled it for me.
Flag
Well that wasn't cool.
Flag
Great villians live forever!

(even if its just in the memories of the rest of the characters)
Flag
Staff
It's sad that The Governor is worse than the walkers, but he definitely is! Humans can be pretty brutal.
Flag
To be completely fair, the walkers don't know any better.

I expect more from humans.
Flag
Staff
Same!
Flag
Poll

Flag
Staff
Hey inoee24! You can create this poll embedded within the original post if you want! It doesn't have to be a comment. Just go into your post and click the EDIT button. If you click on the POLL button in the formatting bar (looks like three lines next to the image button) you can embed a poll right in your original post!
Flag
Staff
This post will give you some more details and background on how to do that!
Flag
Okay, here we go!
Flag
Staff
Sweet, it looks perfect! You can delete the one in the comments now if you want so you don't dupe up.
Flag
Polls are fun. Thanks Ionee and Jessica!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC