A The Walking Dead Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC

In what can only be seen as a weird peace offering for leaving us all emotionally crippled after the events of last night's Breaking Bad, AMC announced this morning that it's developing a "companion series" (a.k.a. a fancy term for spin-off) of its zombie mega-hit The Walking Dead. The new series will focus on "an entirely new story and cast of characters," and Robert Kirkman, who created the comics, will serve as a co-executive producer along with Walking Dead EPs Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert. The series, which doesn't currently have a title, is expected to premiere in 2015.

This sort of answers our recent question about WTF has been going on at the network as of late. We've had a hell of a time trying to make sense of some of its recent decisions—like killing off The Killing for good after an improved third season—because by this time next year, the network will have said goodbye to both Breaking Bad and Mad Men, the two series responsible for putting it on the map. Knowing that it's in the initial stages of expanding the world of The Walking Dead, which is the currently number one TV series among adults 18-49, means they aren't totally cracked out over there... at least when it comes to knowing they need more material to work with. 

However, on the heels of last week's announcement that AMC has signed a licensing agreement with Sony to make the much-talked-about Breaking Bad spin-off a reality, this Walking Dead news paints an interesting picture of the network's strategy for the future. What's next, a Sally Draper-centered series that follows Don Draper's neglected daughter as she struggles through her twenties in the '70s?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 16

67 Comments
Comments (67)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand this could be just be a garbage money grabbing ripoff with no substance (ala Marvel AGENTS of SHIELD to the Avengers franchise.) or

On the other hand, this could be a cool character driven show without the boundaries the original Walking Dead show had. The original TWD had to balance some of what the Comic Readers wanted. Without the comic boundaries, this new show could work because the comic readers aren't going to have the comic to compare it to. This could work depending greatly on the talent attached. I would get some of the BREAKING BAD people (writers/Directors) involved.
Flag
It's will simply be a copy, and will have nothing new to offer, which is a bad move on AMC's part.
Unless they pull a total mindf**k and have the spin off show things from the zombie's perspective, from infection on.
Flag
Spinoff???
f*ck that, just double twd´s budget and work on ironing out the few kinks TWD has.
Flag
Look at it this way, something for the off season. TWD can't be on 52 weeks a year. If they play it from a different viewpoint, it might work. Maybe a military base, or a government facility. Instead of survivors fighting to live, they could have a government trying to stop it. The could have flashback scenes to the beginning. We could get more answers this way.
Flag

Flag
Great news, just make it better than the original.
Flag

AMC: Something Derivitive
Flag
AMC: Something Desparate

Flag
AMC: Something Less
Flag
The TWD-universe is big enough for us to take one more plot. Looking forward to it!
Flag
Why is everyone crying?

Nobody wants to see see a spinoff and would rather see an original series yet everything on the networks are spinoffs or copies.
All sorts of Law and Orders, SVU's and medical dramas that retell crap we've seen elsewhere.

There comes a point in time when everything has been done before. That time is now.
Flag
The problem is, at least for me, is that spin-off's traditionally tale an idea and/or character from an original show and decide to explore it further with another show.

A Walking Dead spin-off really has nothing new to offer that the original doesn't already. Perhaps AMC want the opportunity for writers to be completely free of not having to follow any aspect of the comics at all... But then why not create a another show about zombies all together with a different mythology instead of just it being exactly the same show in a different place?
Flag
Freedom to write whatever you wanted in the "Walking Dead Universe" would be awesome

I would be happy with single season story arcs. The stories could be endless:
origin's of characters
showing the build up to the actual breakout
what went down in the white house
what happened here (insert city name here)

Flag
I think a spin-off sounds great! It could hold a lot of potential. They could follow a new group of people, it could be very different, and then maybe they could have cross-over episodes. I don't see this as any harm to the original series. I see it as a nice addition to us fans. Who knows, maybe it would piss off some of us less since there is no comic which the new story would be based upon = no disappointments when they kill off characters that didn't die in the comic.

Even if the original goes downhill, it doesn't mean the new won't be good. People are too negative before they even know what it will be like.
Flag
Honestly, I think Walking Dead is over-rated. Sorry, had it say it!

For me to care about a show, I need to care about the characters. Maybe they can work on that for the spin-off.

But with Breaking Bad and Mad Men both ending, they really need to be thinking about more original programming...
Flag
Maybe they can cast it with all the showrunners they've killed off?

This will only water things down. Less is more here, and this new series could actually harm the original.

It's actually kind of sad they apparently don't have any original ideas - be it theirs or someone else's - and need to milk dry what's left of what they do have.

How long will it take for AMC itself to be a Walking Dead network, if this keeps up?

Personally, I wish they would go back to airing classic films without editing or commercial interruption, particularly with films TCM doesn't have. The day they went commercial is the day this network went off the rails. I can't believe Walking Dead may still would not have found a home somewhere else.
Flag
Wow, there can't be many of us left who still fondly remember their original mission as a commercial-free broadcaster of old movies. They were a nearly perfect complement to TCM. (And God bless TCM for still having never yet sold out.) Like you, I rued the day when they abandoned that idea and started airing commercials and more mainstream fare. (I also still miss Remember WENN, AMC's very first original program, and wish someone would air its old episodes.)

To their credit, they have put out some truly terrific original programming in recent years but I've started to think that their best shows have aired in spite of them rather than because of them. Viewed overall, they're just not the great network that they would have you think they are. And constantly trumpeting their own "greatness" isn't helping their cause any in my mind.

Flag
One Halloween, I checked in to AMC to see what horror films they were going to air to get in the holiday mood, so to speak, and I'll never forget the commercials coming on. I, at the time, rarely watched AMC actually, but would catch something on occasion. What irritated me most was they had the nerve to put a feed at the bottom of the screen asking viewers what hey thought of the change and to go to their website or e-mail the feedback. I'd give anything to know how many people were angry about this, as I can't believe there would have been mostly positive responses to it all.
Flag
I never watched AMC much before TWD. Movies once in a while. My mother watched, and still watches the old westerns. Then one Halloween i tuned in to the pilot of TWD. Now AMC is one of my favorite channels. I don't mind the commercials that much. Whatever it takes, to pay for great programming.
Flag
TCM has also managed to expand their library significantly in recent years, now frequently airing movies other than those solely in the MGM vaults. It's not always good news, however. A recent airing of Journey to the Center of the Earth was shown at 1.78:1 rather than 2.35:1 because that's the copy that Fox sent them, unlike previous airings.
Flag
Some one please explain to me the interest in today's junk television shows like that? Zombies, cannibals, serial killers, no-talent entertaners and endless (poor) remakes of old movies and TV shows are appealing, why?
Flag
Ugh why not concentrate on improving TWD, or getting some completely new shows?
Flag
Did not know the Killing was kill off but it makes more sense if they had done it last year. 3rd season was probably the best !
Flag
I know you were kidding but Sally Draper-centered series actually sounds kinda fun)
Flag
"companion" spinoff? no thanks! I get enough idiotic overly dramatic situations on the original series as it is, we don't need more!
Flag
I'm still upset about The Killing and will be for a long time, so I don't even know what to say about this... Since The Walking Dead is a world with no internet or TV, they can probably do a spin off in the same world with different characters fighting the same stuff elsewhere in the US. But hey, that will still need new material, since the current one is already given by an existint comic, isn't it? Why not taking another great comic to TV instead? Most of the material would be already written and they wouldn't look so lame as they do with so much spinning off.
Flag
This is a bad idea.
Flag
They're dumb. Original programming, that's what got them to where they are. Spin Offs, really AMC? I'll tell you what I tell my cat when he gets too frisky: "no, no..."
Flag
The spinoff will start around 2015, TWD will be in it's 6th season. Most good horror/ supernatural shows make it 7 or 8 years. The spinoff will become the replacement after a couple of years. As long as the stories are good, i'm all for that.
Flag
Maybe they should make the 'original' Walking Dead better again instead of making a spin-off series that probably will be worse than the 'original' which isn't very good as well.
Flag
I wouldnt mind this if it wasnt in walking dead world.

Make it more like resident evil with zombies and other mutated monsters.
Flag
Hey, TV.com, I thought the whole TWD: Miami thing was a joke...
Flag
Half the shows on this network look like...
... puts on shades ...
death warmed over

YYEEEEEAaahhhhhh!
Flag
Yet another rehashed idea has...
... puts on shades ...
risen from the grave

YYEEEEEAaahhhhhh!
Flag
I've got to say it's not the zombies, but the human response of the people that have endured the zombies why I watch this show.

If they are just throwing out more zombies, I don't know if its going to work.
Flag
I believe there must be a lot of us in this case - I never liked zombies and I don't look for gore stuff in the tv shows. So the human stories have to keep being good or it won't have any interest to me. I wonder how many just watch for the zombies.
Flag
Good to see the old creative juices really flowing at AMC.
Flag
You sir, are a gentleman and a scollar ! Lol
Flag
Scholar*
Flag
damn, you got me.
Flag
That Sally Draper spin-off sounds amazing!
Flag
Whatsup with all the spin-off's nowadays?
Flag
spinoffs, prequels, sequels...
Flag
For sure, where's the original things. TV Exec's just forgot about creative thinking!
Flag
Originality in Hollywood seems to be something akin to sin. And when something truly original does come along and it does well in the ratings, they fall all over themselves trying to clone it and cash in. Lather, rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

Flag
I'm all for more zombies but that still doenst mean AMC should make horrible decisions like getting rid of The Killing just to add spinoffs...
Flag
What if they do a Walking Dead/ The Killing spin off
Flag
Killing the Walking Dead!!
Flag
My suggestion is The Original Zombies.It will follow the adventures of the original family of zombies.
Flag
Will wacky hijinks ensue or will they just lumber around while solving mysteries?
Flag
The only reason I like the show is because I've grown invested in this group of characters, and that's only because they aren't the typical badasses from every single zombie movie.
Flag
Maybe AMC should change its name to "Zombie Appreciation Channel" or "Spin-off Channel".
Flag
Some suggested names for the spin off

TWD:Miami (Caruso style of removing sunglasses while shooting zombies optional)

TWD:NY (probably not the ratings grabber they will be hoping for)

TWD:Los Angeles (Survivors go undercover, infiltrating zombie gangs and stopping their threats to national security)

TWD:SVU (Survivors investigate sexual crimes against zombies)

TWD:Criminal Intent (Vincent D'Onofrio steals the show)

TWD:Coven (Ryan Murphy spin off)

TWD:The Legend Of Zombie Kora

TWD:Results Show (Ryan Seacrest hosts
Flag
TWD: SoA (Zombies on motorcycles. Now people really have to run fast. It levels the playing field.)
Flag
Not to mention, the old classic NCTWD!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Hell ya double the zombies !!!!!
Flag
Staff

Flag
I guess it's true what they say: a stressful job as an executive makes you look older. But his hair sure looks good.
Flag
Hey AMC! I've always wondered what happend to Sal Romano after that depressing call from the gay cruiser's park. Did he move to San Francisco? Opened a club in Vegas? Joined a traveling circus to Europe? Buried himself in denial and joined a right wing church? I wanna know!!! Oh! The title, you ask? "Fab Men", ofc!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members