The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCIn Season

Beside the Dying Fire

Mitoch

[41]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 11

[QUOTE="MOSTCAPABLEONE"]

Mitoch wrote:

Well, Michonne seemed like she had no problem slicing off the head or killing the zombie that was about to get Andrea. Also, you have to consider the fact that these Walkers have bodies that have decayed to some degree and thier bone structure, tendons, and muscules will not be as fortified and dense as a normal human.

That's the point. It's a bridge too far for me to suspend disbelief. Yeah, it looks cool in the comics,movies and on TV. But I just don't buy it. Like I said, even in the books it seems like a sop to the ninja fanboys.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Helostwin

[42]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 17
    [QUOTE="MOSTCAPABLEONE"]
    Mitoch wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Mitoch wrote:

It is a great weapon if it really sharpened. It is a silent killer and you could slice off a lot of heads in a short period of time.

That's the operative words...slice off. Technically, that wouldn't kill the zomies. Granted, they'd be flailing around trying to get the person. But get a big enough group and he / she's done for.

Additionally, it's really not that easy to sever a head. Not like what we all see in the movies. There's a lot of bone, tendons, muscules and cartilage. It takes some work, no matter how sharp the knife is. You'd probably come closest with some type of cleaving weapon. But that's not what samauri swords are. They are slashing weapons.

Well, Michonne seemed like she had no problem slicing off the head or killing the zombie that was about to get Andrea. Also, you have to consider the fact that these Walkers have bodies that have decayed to some degree and thier bone structure, tendons, and muscules will not be as fortified and dense as a normal human.

Exactly what I have been saying since season 1. If you can just get to a fairly issolated place ( I suggested an island, but a prison will do) the walkers will decay & fall apart after a while. These herds should be the last of them, they're rapidly decaying. At least in hot climates that is, IDK about Canada or Russia or New Zealand.Once all the original walkers have rotted away you just have to destroy the brain of anyone new who dies which is much simpler.

beowulf579

[43]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 59
    Checking on something...does anyone know where I can see a still image of the "preppy zombie" Daryl killed? I was wanting to double check something but can't find an image of it.

Jemadari

[44]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 12

beowulf579 wrote:
    Checking on something...does anyone know where I can see a still image of the "preppy zombie" Daryl killed? I was wanting to double check something but can't find an image of it.

You sure it was Daryl? because I still have the episode on my dvr box, so I went back and watched his scenes, he only fired his weapon during the first 10 minutes only killing about 6 walkers, none of whom I'd describe as "preppy"

Edit: Thanks OdumC

beowulf579 hopefully one of these serves your purpose...removed links because I use FF with adblock so I don't see most popups but on a hunch I disabled it and checked the links and one of the pops was a bit risqué so I'll PM the links

Edited on 03/21/2012 8:28pm
    Edited 2 total times.

OdumC

[45]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 8
    The one on the highway at Sophia's spot where they all met up.

angeleys151

[46]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 6
    [QUOTE="Mitoch"]

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Mitoch wrote:

That's the point. It's a bridge too far for me to suspend disbelief. Yeah, it looks cool in the comics,movies and on TV. But I just don't buy it. Like I said, even in the books it seems like a sop to the ninja fanboys.

So you can suspend belief when it comes to the dead rising and eating human flesh and the only way to kill them is a blow to the brain... but you can't believe that a samari sword would be capable of delivering that blow to the brain?

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[47]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 13
    [QUOTE="Mitoch"]

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Mitoch wrote:

Knowing that we are dealing with Walkers that have probably been dead already for weeks or maybe even months and that they are decaying minute by minute...alongside the fact that a very sharp samurai blade that is wielded with force can cut through decaying bones and almost anything or if applied with the proper force to the brain could at least produce a tremendous amount of trauma is too far for your belief? A sharpened sword is the perfect weapon...

Mitoch

[48]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 11

[QUOTE="angeleys151"]

Mitoch wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Mitoch wrote:

So you can suspend belief when it comes to the dead rising and eating human flesh and the only way to kill them is a blow to the brain... but you can't believe that a samari sword would be capable of delivering that blow to the brain?

Exactly so. It's a matter of stacking improbabilities atop one another. Sooner or later, the entire premise will come crashing down. Anything that drops me out of the illusion is not a good storytelling technique. As I said before, a cleaving weapon is more believable. But that doesn't fit the fanboy, martial artist, kickass babe mindset.

OdumC

[49]Mar 22, 2012
    You should watch some real sword demonstrations on youtube, a quality real sharpened sword can cut down medium sized trees when wielded right, I really don't think it's a stretch to think they could remove heads quite easily.

beowulf579

[50]Mar 22, 2012
    Jemadari wrote:

beowulf579 wrote:

You sure it was Daryl? because I still have the episode on my dvr box, so I went back and watched his scenes, he only fired his weapon during the first 10 minutes only killing about 6 walkers, none of whom I'd describe as "preppy"

Edit: Thanks OdumC

beowulf579 hopefully one of these serves your purpose...removed links because I use FF with adblock so I don't see most popups but on a hunch I disabled it and checked the links and one of the pops was a bit risqué so I'll PM the links

Thanks. The reason I wanted to know was durin the barn burning there was a preppy zombie in the mix (toward the back). I was just checking to see if they ended up using the same zombie for two different scenes. They didn't...it was two separate preppy zombies. American Eagle must have gotten over run.

beowulf579

[51]Mar 22, 2012
    OdumC wrote:
    You should watch some real sword demonstrations on youtube, a quality real sharpened sword can cut down medium sized trees when wielded right, I really don't think it's a stretch to think they could remove heads quite easily.

Too true. I remember on "Deadliest Warrior" where they demonstrated the ability of the katanna by cutting through three pigs in single blow. According to the show's research, they would measure a swords strength and sharpness by cutting through slaves or enemy POWs. Some swords could cut through 5 human bodies in a single strike.
    So cutting off a zombie head with a single blow with a quality sword is totally possible.

OdumC

[52]Mar 22, 2012

beowulf579 wrote:
    OdumC wrote:
    Too true. I remember on "Deadliest Warrior" where they demonstrated the ability of the katanna by cutting through three pigs in single blow. According to the show's research, they would measure a swords strength and sharpness by cutting through slaves or enemy POWs. Some swords could cut through 5 human bodies in a single strike. So cutting off a zombie head with a single blow with a quality sword is totally possible.
    Yeah I even remember seeing them cutting things apart on Mythbusters after building a rig to simulate human strength and a solid swing, they chopped their human analog apart accidently

Edited on 03/22/2012 11:07am

Helostwin

[53]Mar 22, 2012
    Yeah but the problem with any blade-type weapon is you have to get fairly close to the Walker to use it and that increases the risk of getting bitten. For silient killing I'd still go with a bow or crossbow, something that you use from a distance.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[54]Mar 22, 2012

Helostwin wrote:
    Yeah but the problem with any blade-type weapon is you have to get fairly close to the Walker to use it and that increases the risk of getting bitten. For silient killing I'd still go with a bow or crossbow, something that you use from a distance.
    You don't have to get too close and a trained swordsman would have no problem slicing in close quarters situations. The problem with the bowor crossbowis that you can't carry but so many arrows and it takes a second or two to aim. If you have a herd of zombies coming at you no matter how distance they are, you going to run out of ammo.

Edited on 03/23/2012 7:31am

beowulf579

[55]Mar 22, 2012
    Helostwin wrote:

Not to spoil anything...those 'pet" zombies she is lugging around aren't just for looks. The serve a purpose that compliments the use of a sword as a weapon.

Helostwin

[56]Mar 22, 2012
    beowulf579 wrote:
    Helostwin wrote:

Not to spoil anything...those 'pet" zombies she is lugging around aren't just for looks. The serve a purpose that compliments the use of a sword as a weapon.

I'm guessing that since they can smell living humans they are used for locating people to bring back to the prison.

ionee24

[57]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 32
    beowulf579 wrote:

I for one read the whole interview so I think the zombies are as awesome as the character's actual weapon.

LordGrievous

[58]Mar 23, 2012

Helostwin wrote:
    beowulf579 wrote:
    Helostwin wrote:
    I'm guessing that since they can smell living humans they are used for locating people to bring back to the prison.

There suppose to mask for smell from other zombies.

umbradley

[59]Mar 24, 2012
    • level: 2
    If you cut a Walker's head off the body will just drop to the floor. The only thing that would still be "alive" is the head so you wouldn't get headless bodies attacking you.

Have a look on Youtube to see how easy it is to cut through a whole pig with a katana - A Walker neck should be simple.