The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCIn Season

Home episode discussion

beowulf579

[1]Feb 15, 2013
    • level: 59

To discuss the episode "Home".

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

antdude

[2]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 27
    It started slow for about 20 minutes (no commercial breaks) and then got better especially with the ending (surprise!). Dang! It was nice to see Lori (is she the same actress?) again.

Helostwin

[3]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 17
    1) I think it was unrealistic that that Mexican family (2 guys a woman & a newborn baby) would still be alive 1 year into the zombie apocapolypse. They were completely unable to protect themselves & most survivors seem to be in groups for mutual protection.

2) I wonder if they filmed that scene with Lorie in the wedding dress BEFORE she was let go or if they brought her back (new contract?) just to make occasional appearences via Ricks mind

3) Nice to see MAGGIE (of all people ) take out the guy in the tower. Even Carol seems to know how to shoot now.

4) I was suprised that Tyress's group wasn't shown at all. They could have proved themselves to be worthy of staying if they had helped repulse the attack.

5) Glenn is the third string leader after Rick & then Darryl? Who decided on THAT? This is the first I'm hearing of that!

6) Literally hundreds of rounds fired and only 2 people get shot? And one of them (Axyl) was taken out with the first shot. When these people shoot Walkers they get a head shot almost every time, when they shoot at the living they couldn't hit the side of a barn at 10 feet. Also where did all this ammo suddenly come from? Lately they were so short they were killing walkers with knives, now they're spraying bullets like a fire hose.

beowulf579

[4]Feb 19, 2013
    "I was suprised that Tyress's group wasn't shown at all."

Good point...heck, crazy Rick scared them really good.

I think it sort of makes sense though. Rick is the leader..no question of that and Daryl always was his right hand man. Even before Shane was killed, Rick was depending a lot on Daryl.
    Glen makes the most sense since Hershel kind of slipped into a mentoring role for all involved.

For me, while I liked the way the Gov acted...so stupid in a way. He just stood there for all to see. He stepped from somewhat realistic badguy to that of a action hero baddie.

Raidy

[5]Feb 19, 2013
    • level: 3

re: Helostwin's comments, I agree on most points.

1) that did seem off. Perhaps they were the last survivors of a larger group? otherwise it doesnt make much sense they'd have made it that far.

2) n/a

3) Maggie needed a kill for sure, but she had mentioned before that growing up on a farm, she learned how to shoot. So not surprising she was able to handle herself, besides she proved herself vs walkers already.

4) That was a bit odd we didnt even a glimpse of them; With all that gunfire you'd think they'd investigate, but then again they had no weapons to engage with, so staying hidden was probably a wise choice. (ignoring of course the more obvious, which is they werent 'required' for that bit of story and thus didnt even get a snippet of hiding from the gunfire)

5) Glenn makes sense as 3rd in a sort of strongest fighter perspective, but also no one else seems like they'd be ready to step up to the role mentally either; Hersh clearly wants to be in the back row, and most of the others left now are more support characters vs take charge types (aside from Carl, but he's a kid)

6) agreed that was totally absurd how many rounds were fired and only 1 person taken out (after the initial snipe). Perfect headshots on walkers, but yet unable to even kill (let alone wound) more than 1 person, most of which werent ducking and weaving much at all. Furthermore, they were EXPECTING an attack and yet no one was on guard at all, or wearing armor (which aside from Glenn on his latest mission, seems to be oddly lacking considering their supplies). I get why the did it for the story - they couldnt kill too many off that quickly, and they had to set up the baddies as being even more bad - but still, there should have been less shots fired and better cover.

The Gov standing out in the open was a bit goofy - seemed like he was either proving he was invincible (in a psychotic way), or simply unafraid of dying. That one scene where he just glances over at a couple bulletholes in the door that nearly hit him, it almost seemed like he smirked happily.

Edited on 02/19/2013 11:09pm

OdumC

[6]Feb 20, 2013
    • level: 8
    Pretty good episode.. Andrea kills me still hanging out in Woodbury. she's become the new Lori IMO.

I had no issues with the gunfight, the first shot was a well aimed sniper shot against a stationary target with them taking all the time they needed to line up the shot, after that they were all running ducking and grabbing cover. I just read an article a few days back about how many rounds an average US soldier uses vs. kills they make and the numbers were unreal. so for untrained people spraying semi auto rounds at a distance against fast moving targets (as opposed to shambling walkers) it seemed pretty realistic.

As for the Governor just standing out in the open, they had the prison group pretty much pinned down, plus it's a psychological tactic for him to have an "I don't give a crap" attitude, and let's be honest, a couple episodes back he was braiding his pet walkers hair in between bouts of staring at his aquarium zombie head collection. I don't think he's going to be the posterboy for mental health anytime soon. "they" killed his "daughter", took his eye and desecrated his town. he's insane and mad as hell and I think his assault and behavior during it showed that nicely.

At least they scaled down the assault on the prison from the comics.in the books they had several vehicles, dozens of men, lots of guns and a tank.plus the initial attack ended with the group being driven out and splintered with lots of deaths.

letting a few walkers loose in the yard is just a minor inconvenience. easily fixed standing at the inner fences and just silently spearing them til they can take back the outer yard and park vehicles in front of those destroyed gates until they can be repaired. it was nice of them to leave them that panel truck, it'll work great for covering the gap.

brazilian_girl

[7]Feb 20, 2013
    • level: 10
    OdumC wrote:
    Pretty good episode.. Andrea kills me still hanging out in Woodbury. she's become the new Lori IMO.

HAHAHAAHHA that`s what i was thinking, OdumC LOL

mdr227

[8]Feb 20, 2013
    The most logical explanation for Tyrese and his group not getting involved was that they are still locked up in that one area they've been staying. That is if they didn't vacate the prison after Rick's episode the previous week. I too kept hoping they'd come to the rescue and become part of the gang.

I was bummed that Axel was knocked off as Oscar was earlier, I liked both of them and wanted to see the Axel vs Daryl battle over Carol's affections :-).

ionee24

[9]Feb 20, 2013
    • level: 32
    Axel was actually growing on me when he got killed. I liked Oscar from the get go but Axel got really sweet in the end and I'm glad neither of them got eaten by zombies.

In this world, that's the best you could hope for.

beowulf579

[10]Feb 20, 2013
    On the Glen as leader aspect...he made a wise comment about no one keeping watch and look what happened. I don't mean the Gov and company waaaay out beyond the main fence. I am talking about the guy who was able to sneak across an open field, not be noticed by anyone (including Michonne who was in that open area) and secure the prison tower to take a shots at everyone.

They should have had someone up in that tower 24/7.

Fozz33

[11]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 10

Can someone say....how did the Governor's man get up into the guard tower?
    I didn't understand that at all!

beowulf579

[12]Feb 21, 2013
    Fozz33 wrote:

The man had some serious ninja skills. He used some of that special smoke they have that just poofs them there..lol.

beowulf579

[13]Feb 21, 2013
    Fozz33 wrote:

The man had some serious ninja skills. He used some of that special smoke they have that just poofs them there..lol.

OdumC

[14]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 8
    Yeah I wondered about that myself, he had to cut the fence himself to get into the dog run for access to a tower. it's not like they left the gate open for even a split second for him to slip in and they wouldn't show that anyways because then Axle getting shot wouldn't have been as much of a surprise.

No big issue really, they showed how fst and easy they could cut the fence and slip in when they found the prison, all he had to do was cut and entier on the other side of the tower in a somewhat blind spot.

SupernaturalX55

[15]Feb 23, 2013

Helostwin wrote:
    1) I think it was unrealistic that that Mexican family (2 guys a woman & a newborn baby) would still be alive 1 year into the zombie apocapolypse. They were completely unable to protect themselves & most survivors seem to be in groups for mutual protection.

4) I was suprised that Tyress's group wasn't shown at all. They could have proved themselves to be worthy of staying if they had helped repulse the attack.

6) Literally hundreds of rounds fired and only 2 people get shot? And one of them (Axyl) was taken out with the first shot. When these people shoot Walkers they get a head shot almost every time, when they shoot at the living they couldn't hit the side of a barn at 10 feet. Also where did all this ammo suddenly come from? Lately they were so short they were killing walkers with knives, now they're spraying bullets like a fire hose.

1. I'm pretty sure they were part of a larger group that got separated. They could have also been part of the Woodbury that manged to get out although then there might have been some dialog with Merle. Either way i think the family was part of a larger group & they had to take off on their own for some reason or another. It also seems they either took a wrong turn or drove into a zombie ambush.

4. Yeah Tyresse's group must have left the prison. I knew the Governor was plotting for a revenge strike against the prison & i had thought that group was going to be reinforcements but apparently they left when Rick lost his mind.

6. Well i half expected them to shoot with better precision but most gunfights i have seen tends to be misses. Walkers don't shoot back, they just groan and smell horrible lol. The living shoot back plus run for cover, however it did look like some of the miss firing was bad aim when someone is in plain sight for firing at i'll have to rewatch that scene again. As for the ammo, it's never clear & seems to be poorly written in (like Hershel in the Season 2 finale, appears to have infinite ammo you never see him reload). It's possible that the prison may have kept guns and ammo for the prison guards if so i'm sure the group hit jackpot. Certainly the Governor has plenty of ammo stashed up as well.

Edited on 02/23/2013 8:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Raccoon1459

[16]Feb 24, 2013
    • level: 22

The Walker killing action at Yellow Jacket Creek was pretty darn awesome.