The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

How long was he in the hospital for?

bstones

[1]Nov 3, 2010
    • level: 1

How did he survive that long with no medical care or food, it looked like it's been a long time he was in there. As you can see the building looked in rough shape from the outside and inside like alot went on, such as trapping zombies inside, and all this time he didn't die? zombies couldn't break through the door? All other patients died and only he was left there? I was thinking he was in a coma and they just left him there to die but he didn't?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MrShotShot

[2]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 15
    bstones wrote:

How did he survive that long with no medical care or food, it looked like it's been a long time he was in there. As you can see the building looked in rough shape from the outside and inside like alot went on, such as trapping zombies inside, and all this time he didn't die? zombies couldn't break through the door? All other patients died and only he was left there? I was thinking he was in a coma and they just left him there to die but he didn't?

Who really knows. It's not something that's addressed in the comic.

My guess would be 3-4 weeks. I figure that Shane visited and brought him the flowers fairly early on since he was still pretty much out of it. An arrangement of flowers like that generally lasts 7-10 days, less without water.

Even as the world was falling apart around them, the doctors and nurses were still providing some level of care (ala Katrina). That nurse that had been eaten could have been the last person there taking care of patients and Rick could have had care up until 12-24 hours before he awoke. Given that he wasn't making any noise, even if the place had been overun by zombies, there was really nothing to attract them to his room. Also, I got the impression that the director was trying to tell us something by placing the gurney in front of his door. Perhaps that combined with the lack of noise was just enough to keep them out of his room.

BarryWeen3

[3]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 14
    MrShotShot wrote:
    bstones wrote:

Who really knows. It's not something that's addressed in the comic.

My guess would be 3-4 weeks. I figure that Shane visited and brought him the flowers fairly early on since he was still pretty much out of it. An arrangement of flowers like that generally lasts 7-10 days, less without water.

Even as the world was falling apart around them, the doctors and nurses were still providing some level of care (ala Katrina). That nurse that had been eaten could have been the last person there taking care of patients and Rick could have had care up until 12-24 hours before he awoke. Given that he wasn't making any noise, even if the place had been overun by zombies, there was really nothing to attract them to his room. Also, I got the impression that the director was trying to tell us something by placing the gurney in front of his door. Perhaps that combined with the lack of noise was just enough to keep them out of his room.

The other impression I got was that somehow they were able to lock the zombies into that room with the message on the door and that all the dead bodies outside laid in rows had all been shot in the head. And in the chaos of the aftermath of the zombie attack whatever few survivors of the attack left the hospital and forgot about him in the room perhaps because whoever knew he was in the room were dead like the eaten nurse.

Neosword

[4]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 6

I don't remember where, but I remember someone saying he was in the hospital six weeks.

NetiiiK

[5]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 2

When they are in the police station they say the gas lines have been down for a month, so he would have been in the hospital for at least one month.

justinwestnet

[6]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 17
    I think the gurney hindered any zombies from attacking his room. Like someone said, no noise so why bother looking in there? Plus they're not very intelligent. Possible that the hospital he was in was defended/blocked well (military helicopter) and thus not a lot of dead were able to get in. The "Dead Inside" door was probably infected/about to be infected they locked up before evacuating. The dead nurse in the hallway was probably a last stand and got devoured. Eventually the few walkers in the hospital probably walked out after roaming aimlessly inside and not finding anyone.

chuwen25

[7]Nov 8, 2010

how do people win lottery?

Helostwin

[8]Nov 8, 2010
    I thought the zombies are attrected by SMELL also. They can smell living people, not just hear them.

BarryWeen3

[9]Nov 8, 2010
    Helostwin wrote:
    I thought the zombies are attrected by SMELL also. They can smell living people, not just hear them.

Yes, they showed that in the second episode. I think with Rick, the zombies in the hospital were locked away behind that door with the message. And the other dead bodies had all been shot in the head as far as I can tell, so they wouldn't rise either. So there wasn't really anyone to attack Rick while he was unconscious after everyone else left the hospital.

And did we know when exactly the hospital was abandoned, i.e. Rick may have been in the hospital for at least a month, but how much of that time was actually him all by himself in the hospital bed.

bluecatcinema

[10]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 61
    Morgan said that the gas had been off for a month when Rick took him and his son to the police station, so I'm guessing a little longer then that.

Raccoon1459

[11]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 22
    I would say a month, maybe shorter than that.

rosenberg130n

[12]Nov 13, 2010

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you're already watching a fiction show. You wouldn't watch harry potter and go around asking: "Huh, how was he able to shoot spells through a stick while my stick only stands there looking stupid." - So, logic dictates that you shouldn't be doing the same to other fictions.

However, for that particular scene to become reality - assuming, somehow, zombies magically came alive, it would depend on tons of variables which are definitely unpredictable on whether or not his survivability rate would be successful.

(1)You have the miraculous human body (like the buried alive stories).

(2) The fact that he was unconscious and unaware whether or not there was some one taking care of him.

(3) The huge factor to whether or not semi-comma patients aresusceptibleto zombie awareness of fresh brains (which depends solely on the writer's depiction of the zombie, but this depth already penetrated back to the fiction barrier).

noelveiga

[13]Nov 14, 2010
    He is hooked up to a number of IVs when he wakes up, so perhaps he's been in a coma for a while but tended to until just a few days before he wakes up? There are also a bunch of not completely rotten dead bodies just outside when he wakes up.

Frankly, in a zombie apocalypse fiction there are dozens of plausible ways for him to wake up in that situation, including the hospital operating at some sort of capacity until a final catastrophe kills or forces to evacuate the last remaining staff. There are some upcoming revelations about the zombies that make this more believable (but I'll hold those off to avoid spoilers). It is definitely not a plot hole, but merely an unexplained part of the story tha is susceptible of being filled with whatever you want to come up with because several things fit.

Helostwin

[14]Nov 14, 2010
    I remember a similar thing happening in an old book. A guy wakes up in a Manhattan Hospital after being in a coma & everyone else in the city is dead from boubonic plague. So it is a theme that has been used several times.

thundergod79

[15]Nov 14, 2010

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Helostwin wrote:
    Yes, they showed that in the second episode. I think with Rick, the zombies in the hospital were locked away behind that door with the message. And the other dead bodies had all been shot in the head as far as I can tell, so they wouldn't rise either. So there wasn't really anyone to attack Rick while he was unconscious after everyone else left the hospital. And did we know when exactly the hospital was abandoned, i.e. Rick may have been in the hospital for at least a month, but how much of that time was actually him all by himself in the hospital bed.

Actually, the second episode pointed out it was the lack of smell. For the Zombies it was "causing noise" + "zombie smell" that means a zombie. "Causing noise" + "no zombie smell" means something to eat. The quote from Andrea was "They smell dead, we don't, that's pretty distinct". If it were a distinct live human smell they would have been able to smell that through the zombie bath they gave themselves when going to the construction site to get the truck. So given that he wouldn't have a zombie smell in the hospital after having decent care up until a day or two before he awoke, that wouldn't attract them to his room.

Edited on 11/14/2010 10:18pm

BarryWeen3

[16]Nov 15, 2010
    thundergod79 wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Helostwin wrote:
    Yes, they showed that in the second episode. I think with Rick, the zombies in the hospital were locked away behind that door with the message. And the other dead bodies had all been shot in the head as far as I can tell, so they wouldn't rise either. So there wasn't really anyone to attack Rick while he was unconscious after everyone else left the hospital. And did we know when exactly the hospital was abandoned, i.e. Rick may have been in the hospital for at least a month, but how much of that time was actually him all by himself in the hospital bed.

Actually, the second episode pointed out it was the lack of smell. For the Zombies it was "causing noise" + "zombie smell" that means a zombie. "Causing noise" + "no zombie smell" means something to eat. The quote from Andrea was "They smell dead, we don't, that's pretty distinct". If it were a distinct live human smell they would have been able to smell that through the zombie bath they gave themselves when going to the construction site to get the truck. So given that he wouldn't have a zombie smell in the hospital after having decent care up until a day or two before he awoke, that wouldn't attract them to his room.

Don't you mean that since he didn't have a zombie smell in the hospital, zombies would have been attracted to his room.

My argument was that by the time the hospital was emptied, Rick had been left in a room that was somewhat barricaded, what zombies there were in the hospital were locked away, and all the dead bodies had had their brains destroyed, so there wasn't anything that would have attacked Rick anyway. And it's not like the non-dead smell humans have can attract zombies from miles away.

bigrocxbl

[17]Nov 22, 2010

A) I can't believe I read this entire thread...

B) I'm concerned there are this many theories about why/why not Rick was in the hospital for how long, and what the definition of "zombie smell" is, on a show that has just run ep 4!

I just watched all 4 episodes in a row, and all I can say is, I like it. I laughed when the zombie brains went airborne, and I just enjoyed what looks to be an awsome show that's based on zombies... My only question is "why HBO didn't put this on the air?" because there are times when hell and damned just don't fit the "I'm about to be eaten by zombies" panic that almost every zombie movie has put out there (with the profanities).

Good Show. I dig it.

Edited on 11/22/2010 5:10pm

thechosenonecj

[18]Nov 26, 2010
    • level: 7
    Hadn't the clock on the wall stopped? So I'm guessing long enough that the batteries could run out, which would probably be a while. Unless of course they just happened to be close to running out anyway

Helostwin

[19]Nov 26, 2010
    It could have been running on electricity. When the power went off the clock stopped.