The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

I think this show is going downhill FAST!

  • Avatar of webe123

    webe123

    [1]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 03/02/04
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 76

    Why do I say that? Because NO SHOW can survive if you start to kill off the regular characters in the show!


    Seems the idiotic producers of the show have not learned this lesson with past TV shows when way less main characters were killed off and the show itself was cancelled.


    It is a simple formula really, kill off a main character and a lot of people who LIKED that character QUIT watching the show completely! Kill off ENOUGH main characters and ...congradulations....YOU JUST GOT THE SHOW CANCELLED ......IDIOTS!


    Let them keep killing off enough main characters and people will say SCREW YOU to the show and it's producers...then the producers will have no one but themselves to blame for their own stupidity. Don't believe me? Watch and see.


    People will eventually get tired of their main characters being killed off.......which will lead to the cancellation of the show.


    When they kill off a main character, they are just slitting their own throats, so it will be no surprise to me if this show gets cancelled.


    Because people will think....why should I watch a show and get interested in it, if a character they like are only going to be killed off in a few weeks?


    What they are doing does not make a whole lot of sense as far as keeping the show alive.

    Edited on 11/05/2012 3:08am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of halstein

    halstein

    [2]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 09/19/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 115

    Well then,i'm sure you won't be a fan of "Game of Thrones ".

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Raccoon1459

    Raccoon1459

    [3]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 04/02/10
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,195
    Oh boy, not this topic again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MrShotShot

    MrShotShot

    [4]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 08/21/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 292
    webe123 wrote:

    Why do I say that? Because NO SHOW can survive if you start to kill off the regular characters in the show!


    Seems the idiotic producers of the show have not learned this lesson with past TV shows when way less main characters were killed off and the show itself was cancelled.


    It is a simple formula really, kill off a main character and a lot of people who LIKED that character QUIT watching the show completely! Kill off ENOUGH main characters and ...congradulations....YOU JUST GOT THE SHOW CANCELLED ......IDIOTS!


    Let them keep killing off enough main characters and people will say SCREW YOU to the show and it's producers...then the producers will have no one but themselves to blame for their own stupidity. Don't believe me? Watch and see.


    People will eventually get tired of their main characters being killed off.......which will lead to the cancellation of the show.


    When they kill off a main character, they are just slitting their own throats, so it will be no surprise to me if this show gets cancelled.


    Because people will think....why should I watch a show and get interested in it, if a character they like are only going to be killed off in a few weeks?


    What they are doing does not make a whole lot of sense as far as keeping the show alive.



    No fears bro - you've still got Gossip Girl.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of danharr

    danharr

    [5]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 04/30/05
    • level: 45
    • rank: Swizzle-Bird
    • posts: 10,938

    webe123 wrote:


    Why do I say that? Because NO SHOW can survive if you start to kill off the regular characters in the show!


    Seems the idiotic producers of the show have not learned this lesson with past TV shows when way less main characters were killed off and the show itself was cancelled.


    It is a simple formula really, kill off a main character and a lot of people who LIKED that character QUIT watching the show completely! Kill off ENOUGH main characters and ...congradulations....YOU JUST GOT THE SHOW CANCELLED ......IDIOTS!


    Let them keep killing off enough main characters and people will say SCREW YOU to the show and it's producers...then the producers will have no one but themselves to blame for their own stupidity. Don't believe me? Watch and see.


    People will eventually get tired of their main characters being killed off.......which will lead to the cancellation of the show.


    When they kill off a main character, they are just slitting their own throats, so it will be no surprise to me if this show gets cancelled.


    Because people will think....why should I watch a show and get interested in it, if a character they like are only going to be killed off in a few weeks?


    What they are doing does not make a whole lot of sense as far as keeping the show alive.



    This is season 3 syndication which is the goal of every show is 5 years. We have plenty of main characters to go and the two who died one didn't do much and the other was universally hated. You know nothing about tv or the source material in question and I hate that I had to read your childish dribble.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Marburg66

    Marburg66

    [6]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 07/19/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 38
    Heh! you seem awfully convinced in your opinion in spite of the fact that it was made crystal clear from very early on that every single character will never be safe & any one of them can die at any moment.
    While you complain that the people making the show are idiots & the show is doomed to failure, you fail to appreciate that the show has gotten better and better over time & have the stellar ratings to prove that. If that's your definition of failure, then expect them to keep on failing all the way to the bank for many seasons to come.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OdumC

    OdumC

    [7]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 12/17/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 489
    Personally I think the fact that nobody is safe adds to the show in a big way. just look back at the episodes where main characters died. what other show throws emotional shocks at the audience like that? and out of the blue. to be honest it makes me scared to miss an episode because I know the first time I do, I'll miss some epic death.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bionetic

    Bionetic

    [8]Nov 5, 2012
    • member since: 08/01/02
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 352
    OdumC wrote:
    Personally I think the fact that nobody is safe adds to the show in a big way. just look back at the episodes where main characters died. what other show throws emotional shocks at the audience like that? and out of the blue. to be honest it makes me scared to miss an episode because I know the first time I do, I'll miss some epic death.


    I agree with OdumC. How can you have a horror tv show where no one dies? If anything, that'll kill the show. Look at Heroes. They were supposed to get rid of characters and add new characters as it became necessary. Instead they latched on to the popular characters and milked them for all they were worth, till till they were nothing left to explore and even then they still kept using the characters. That's what kills shows. One good thing about this show are the elegant unexpected offing of characters. I love that no one is safe. It keeps you on edge.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Helostwin

    Helostwin

    [9]Nov 12, 2012
    • member since: 11/12/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 2,517
    webe123 wrote:

    Why do I say that? Because NO SHOW can survive if you start to kill off the regular characters in the show!


    Seems the idiotic producers of the show have not learned this lesson with past TV shows



    In the 6 years I have been on this site that ^^ is by far the stupidest comment I have ever read here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of spideynerd3

    spideynerd3

    [10]Nov 16, 2012
    • member since: 04/26/07
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 3,533
    As I told a Facebook friend of mine who posted something along the lines of "The Walking Dead is my favorite TV show, but when they start killing off main characters I question myself", in the comics only 3 of the original group members are still alive. Now I won't say who, because who knows what they'll do in the tv show. I do know that Shane died earlier in the comics, Dale died later in the comics, and Lori was always going to die sometime this season. It adds to the whole "No one is safe" line that they want to be known for. The death of Lori can only do the show better, because now Carl doesn't have a mother, the baby will never know her mother, and Rick will have to eventually snap from his downward spiral and become even more of a leader than he ever has been. Shows on HBO, Showtime, Stars, etc., are always killing off Main Characters, and then they bring new ones in. Obviously people watched The Walking Dead after Shane died, and they'll continue to watch now that Lori is dead. If they were to kill off a character who is truly a fan favorite, say Daryl, who wasn't in the comics, so his fate is up in the air, THEN fans will get upset and quit watching. The hardcore fans will get over it though, and continue to watch the series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of galttl

    galttl

    [11]Nov 17, 2012
    • member since: 08/14/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 38

    That's one of the things that makes a show like this great, you know no one is safe,if the main characters always survived then people would complain, I know I would, that it is too predictable, that there isn't the edge of your seat feeling cause you know they are all going to be fine. If they mess with Daryl then yeah I will be ticked.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OdumC

    OdumC

    [12]Nov 18, 2012
    • member since: 12/17/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 489
    Bionetic wrote:
    Look at Heroes. They were supposed to get rid of characters and add new characters as it became necessary. Instead they latched on to the popular characters and milked them for all they were worth,
    What they did with Nikki was beyond stupid. Ali Larter was the resident Hottie but they weren't afraid to kill her off, they just kept bringing her back as a twin sister??

    So stupid.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of webe123

    webe123

    [13]Nov 22, 2012
    • member since: 03/02/04
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 76
    OdumC wrote:
    Bionetic wrote:
    Look at Heroes. They were supposed to get rid of characters and add new characters as it became necessary. Instead they latched on to the popular characters and milked them for all they were worth,
    What they did with Nikki was beyond stupid. Ali Larter was the resident Hottie but they weren't afraid to kill her off, they just kept bringing her back as a twin sister??

    So stupid.


    It seems some idiots on here just don't get the facts about TV shows...kill off enough main characters and the show dies.

    If they still don't believe as I said let the idiots watch an see!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OdumC

    OdumC

    [14]Nov 22, 2012
    • member since: 12/17/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 489
    webe123 wrote:
    OdumC wrote:
    Bionetic wrote:
    Look at Heroes. They were supposed to get rid of characters and add new characters as it became necessary. Instead they latched on to the popular characters and milked them for all they were worth,
    What they did with Nikki was beyond stupid. Ali Larter was the resident Hottie but they weren't afraid to kill her off, they just kept bringing her back as a twin sister??

    So stupid.


    It seems some idiots on here just don't get the facts about TV shows...kill off enough main characters and the show dies.

    If they still don't believe as I said let the idiots watch an see!
    Really? Facts? got a link to these facts? as we were discussing, Heroes went the opposite. they kept characters that were doing nothing, or worse, being forced to do something just to justify still standing around and that show circled the drain FAST. remember season 1? save the cheerleader/save the world? well then in season 2, cheerleaders been saved.. she has no real purpose anymore, but again, she's hot so she went from a character with purpose to sitting around the house all day with Mr. Muggles leaving the viewer to scratch their heads and wonder WTF they're still fixated on Claire.

    and again, even when they DID finally get the stones to axe a series founder, they just turn around and bring her right back next episode as a twin sister? who then.. yep.. sat around and did nothing except bed a few guys. (cause, again, she's hot)

    Meanwhile, Walking Dead has killed off a score of founding members and yet, they still have an active, full cast. and what most call their best storyline to date.The deaths they've had so far were all excellent and clearing the way for new faces with fresh storylines. plus, it adds to the suspense of the show when you finally realize that NO ONE is safe
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Marburg66

    Marburg66

    [15]Nov 23, 2012
    • member since: 07/19/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 38
    Killing off main characters in a well written show is not going to get it cancelled. Now, if it were a poorly written show that was killing off main characters you'd be closer to right. As it stands, the show as a whole is stronger than the individual characters in it.

    As I see it, the way it actually works is people abandon programs over character deaths if/when the quality of the story degrades to the point where people ONLY continue to watch a poor program because of their love for specific characters. Right now, the shows' story is as strong as it's ever been up to now, so while some may abandon the show over a character snuffing or two, they are a minority.

    You yourself still seem to be watching. Why is that? I ask because If the show is going downhill fast as you claim, why are the ratings for it so high? Killing off core characters has been a common occurrence from the beginning, so why are people not abandoning the show in droves and dropping the ratings to season one levels or below by now? I'm probably just one of those "idiots on here" but how long do you think 'downhill' will continue it's upward trajectory resulting in it's cancellation?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OdumC

    OdumC

    [16]Nov 23, 2012
    • member since: 12/17/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 489
    Helostwin wrote:
    webe123 wrote:

    Why do I say that? Because NO SHOW can survive if you start to kill off the regular characters in the show!


    Seems the idiotic producers of the show have not learned this lesson with past TV shows



    In the 6 years I have been on this site that ^^ is by far the stupidest comment I have ever read here.
    You should have been here for the guy that claimed the show jumped the shark when they brought on a ninja. that one was a lot more stupid than this one.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Seamus165

    Seamus165

    [17]Nov 24, 2012
    • member since: 06/12/03
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 5
    stupidest post ever, its a zombie show. people die
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [18]Nov 24, 2012
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,771

    OdumC wrote:
    Personally I think the fact that nobody is safe adds to the show in a big way. just look back at the episodes where main characters died. what other show throws emotional shocks at the audience like that? and out of the blue. to be honest it makes me scared to miss an episode because I know the first time I do, I'll miss some epic death.


    I think it depends on the show and whether or not the deaths are meant for shock value- On lesser shows like Vampire Diaries, Falling Skies or Revolution, the deaths add nothing to the plot because the characters themselves aren't dealt with while they are still alive.


    Shows like The Walking Dead, on the other hand, use death as a tool for the living, life is precious because it could end any minute and the way these characters react to their losses what makes the group dynamic so important for the audience: the characters in Rick's group exist within a community and that community enhances and diminishes itself depending on whom they get back and whom they loss.

    Edited on 11/24/2012 2:35pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hannah1lms

    Hannah1lms

    [19]Nov 24, 2012
    • member since: 11/24/12
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Social Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. They'll find new people. Right now, people are waiting to see WTF is wrong with Rick, if Merle and Daryl meet again, what happens to Michonne, what happens to Maggy and Glenn, What happens to Carol, Is the baby going to survive?, Why are the walkers walking right past Michonne?, How is Hershel going to make it all gimpy and such? They're not worrying that Lori died. No one liked Shane. T-Dog was blown off, pretty much. Who else died? Dale? He was weak, like I said: Survival of the fittest...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.