The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Is Suicide a viable option in the Walking Dead world?

Is suicide a viable option within the show?

beowulf579

[1]Jul 7, 2013
    • level: 59

Within philosophy there is the concept of "The Absurd"...basically put it's the concept that life itself has no purpose. It's more complex than that but for the sake of this let's keep it simple.The Philosopher Albert Camus came to the conclusion that yes...life itself has no meaning beyond the struggle itself and that was enough not to justify suicide.

But within the world of The Walking Dead, is the struggle of life enough to justify living? Or is it morally justifiable to commit suicide?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-Coyote25

[2]Oct 12, 2013
    • level: 6
    The other problem being you'll have to kill yourself the right way (head shot) or your body will come back as well. We saw the guy who hang himself and came back as the walking dead.

Despair would have to be very high in this reality. Life without hope means the struggle has no purpose. Obviously there is still some hope with the characters in the show, for Rick it's his kid but take that away would he have the willpower to go on? The characters last best when they have someone to live for or to protect, lose that and they start falling apart.

In the Walking Dead world you still need something, some destination or some person to protect. If you were by yourself and thought there was no hope or no one left to find how would you go on?

fujin_mage

[3]Feb 3, 2014
    • level: 7

Could you ??? sure, just remember its got be the in theMellon... Would I??? HELL NO, I've played too much L4D2 & TWD to pass up the opportunity tosurvive in thezombie apocalypse...

ted2332

[4]Feb 19, 2014
    • level: 4

As much as I love the post apocalypse genre I would be amongst the first to die sadly.