The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Low scores for reviews of the season 3 final

alexd88

[1]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 4

I am surprised by the low reviews coming in for the Season 3 final episode of The Walking Dead, as the show has always been a drama, not an action series. Therefore having a massive showdown would have contradicted the genre and purpose of the season. I don't think that was the intention of the writers in the first place.

I've felt that the purpose throughout Season 3 has been to illustrate how difficult it is to hold onto any semblance of morality or even sanity. Rick comes close to 'losing it'. He also meets his old friend Morgan during one of the episodes who seems to have lost his mind almost completely. The Governor appears that he probably wouldn't have been the monster he is if it wasn't for what happened to his family (Andrea is quite symbolic in illustrating that). I think Rick too comes close to going down that road after losing his wife.

Thus, the ultimate 'showdown' for me happened when The Governor completely lost it and turned on his own men, similarly in the earlier episode when Rick decided *not* to hand over Michonne. These are both turning points for both characters. This is the real resolution that the season has been building up to, based on my interpretation.

The Walking Dead illustrates that despite the end of the world, the characters are still capable of humanity and morality in their decisions and actions. In an earlier episode Rick left someone on the side of the road to get eaten by walkers without even blinking an eye! He refused to take on the people that came to the prison looking for shelter. These decisions contrast with taking on a whole group of people in the final episode. Some reviewers are raising an eyebrow and saying "what was that whole scene of taking on a bus full of injured and old people about? How does that help the prison?" Well it's not about that, and when we consider the season as a whole it is a powerful scene to conclude on.

In light of the character development and plot progression I believe that the cast/crew have outdone themselves in this season. This is one of AMC's best productions thus far and it does reach a level of story/character development alike to what I have come to expect from shows such as Breaking Bad. In my experience watching AMC shows, there is a lot that goes unsaid in the character development, and the writers usually know exactly what they are doing. You have to read between the lines with these sorts of shows to find them fulfilling. Although the finale was not satisfying in terms of full-blown action, it was a very emotionally satisfying ending to the season. The more I think about it, it is a fitting ending.

Sure, Andrea could have murdered The Governor in his sleep. Or, Rick could have had a massive showdown with the Governor. These might be more 'exciting' plot lines, but ultimately not what this show is about (and it never was).

Thus, I do not agree that the finale was 'weak' or disappointing at all, as these low end 2/10 - 4/10 reviewers claim. However, these are just my own personal thoughts and interpretations.

What do you think about these low scores for the season 3 finale?

**Side note: From the reviews I've read, The Walking Dead seems to have a divided fan base, with people either ranking the show quite high or quite low. What do you think the reason for that might be? I get the sense it could be that people are struggling to find a place for the show amongst the genres we've come to expect from zombie shows. After all, most zombie TV shows and movies are action, horror, or even the odd comedy. I don't think we've seen a drama-driven zombie show before.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Helostwin

[2]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 17
    alexd88 wrote:

I am surprised by the low reviews coming in for the Season 3 final episode of The Walking Dead, as the show has always been a drama, not an action series. Therefore having a massive showdown would have contradicted the genre and purpose of the season. I don't think that was the intention of the writers in the first place. ............

Yes but then they shouldn't have built it up in a huge advertising campaign as a battle-filled final showdown. I think they advertised the guard tower blowing up a hundred times a day. Ppl have a right to feel cheated. Just abt every fan I know was disappointed.

alexd88

[3]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 4

That may be an indication to the low scores as expectations were not met, but as far as I can remember television trailers and previews have always heavily misrepresented what is going to happen in an episode to add to the 'shock factor' and get people to watch the full episode. That's the purpose of TV show previews I think. Having a preview that explores the moral dilemmas the characters face in the show would probably attract more like 6 million viewers rather than the 12 million viewers reported for the finale. It is a sad fact of reality that things have to be over-exaggerated to get people's attention nowadays. That is why I hardly ever watch the previews or trailers to shows whenever I can avoid it.

anthem47

[4]Apr 3, 2013
    • level: 6
    alexd88 wrote:

That may be an indication to the low scores as expectations were not met, but as far as I can remember television trailers and previews have always heavily misrepresented what is going to happen in an episode to add to the 'shock factor' and get people to watch the full episode. That's the purpose of TV show previews I think. Having a preview that explores the moral dilemmas the characters face in the show would probably attract more like 6 million viewers rather than the 12 million viewers reported for the finale. It is a sad fact of reality that things have to be over-exaggerated to get people's attention nowadays. That is why I hardly ever watch the previews or trailers to shows whenever I can avoid it.

Also I think the writers don't have much control over that sort of thing. Even the show runner...I remember listening to Ronald D. Moore's excellent BSG podcast during Season 4 and him being very annoyed at how certain episodes were advertised, certain twists or lines were included that completely spoiled or changed expectations about an episode. That would be really frustrating.

So without fence-sitting too much, I enjoyed the finale and I agree with everything you've said about the themes this season (particularly about loss of humanity, as much as fans are big on "doing what it takes to survive", there is a line and you have to defend what you think it means to be a good person), but on the other hand, I did have a few issues with the structure. Season 2, as maligned as it is, had a great ending, Andrea getting saved by Michonne, the pan up to the prison in the distance. There was a great feeling about the future. The recent finale ended a big vaguely. I like the new direction of Rick trying to lead not a squad but a whole community, but it's still not much of a set up on its own. Admittedly the first season ended without much of a plan on the table either but the whole concept was fresher then. Also I understand they wanted to keep the Governor around (and explains now why David Morrissey was signed for multiple seasons), but his storyline did end abruptly. He's gone off the deep end, okay, and he's driving off into the great unknown with his two lackeys, but I would have liked to go out with some indication of what his plans are.

But I'm splitting hairs. I get some of the reasons why some were upset but I think I'm in the camp of liking it overall. I'll miss Andrea though, there's not a lot of people left who could make things difficult for Rick (although I suppose we've got 40 or so more people to provide drama now, heh).

ionee24

[5]Apr 3, 2013
    • level: 32
    [QUOTE="Helostwin"]
    alexd88 wrote:

I am surprised by the low reviews coming in for the Season 3 final episode of The Walking Dead.

I'm not: there are a lot of people without cable, and those who don't watch the show, get to review anyway.

This is what you get when that happens.

rtw85

[6]Apr 5, 2013
    • level: 3
    I for one thought it was a great episode and end to a season, this programme is about the people in it not the zombies or action it's a character driven drama series (with some zombies thrown in). The acting was generally spot on as usual, the development from most of the group (Rick/Daryl/Carl?Governor) were evident to see and quite in keeping with their psyche's as we've learnt throughout the series so far, I found personally this added a little realism within a fantasy setting and helps to push the story towards an exciting new season. I don't understnd why some people with a very limited attention span who only like to see things go boom watch the programme, this kind of thing can have a very negative effect on a show such as this one, if any of the writers or showrunners get the general consensus (by a minoriy of people i might add) that we as viewers want more violence and less story then we'll start to receive it, this is the last thing I would ever want too see occuring if it ever ended up this way the show would be doomed by losing the whole appeal anyway and pandering to the types of folks who can't appreciate literature in another medium.

DavidPickles

[7]Apr 11, 2013
    • level: 7

anyone believing a trailer is stupid..

a trailer is more like an advert showing the best bits, films/games/ and other tv shows do it all the time..

people are so gullible..

in my view it shows how similar rick and the gov are they both do what they think is right they both do questionable things and they both have gone off the deep end..

i guess dragging morrisey back for another season is in his contract or something but i kinda wished martinex or that black guy i dunno his name... should of shot the gov and drove off.. or at least wound him so a walker can have a meal..

sremnes

[8]May 23, 2013
    • level: 17

They are straying too far off from the comics thats my biggest issue.