The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCIn Season

Say the Word 3x05 Discussion Thread

beowulf579

[1]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 59

This thread is to discuss the epsisode Say the Word.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

OdumC

[2]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 8
    Oh look.. the Governor has both Solar and wind turbines going to generate power.... Looks like he's taking my advice...

NOW Woodbury is starting to look like the comic version. I was just thinking when they showed the early scene with the cold drink party "Wow this is NOTHING like the mad max psycho version in the books... and the Governer is almost likable..." then BAM!!

Liking the prisoners more and more... Looks like Carol made it.. good for her...

wtf glen?? "our cell block is cleared.. we can just shut the doors and" /slap!! wtf is your fascination with leaving walkers in the same building you're LIVING IN?? did you learn NOTHING from last weeks episode?? hey as long as Ricks off the deep end, let him clear every building he wants to. he's a one man wrecking crew... when walkers overran the farm someone should have handed him an axe and shot Lori.. they'd still be there.. knee deep in walker corpses.

Michonne's kind of a bad ass.. just saying. loved the scene where she opened the gate and took out a group just for practice... nicely done.

NOT THAT DAMN PHONE!!!! I really HATED the phone in the comics.

Pretty good episode. I was wondering how the aftermath of last weeks carnage would play out. hard to top that so they really needed this cool down episode because anything less would have failed.

OdumC

[3]Nov 12, 2012
    Oh and Daryl is quite the wingman... "Carl just shot his Mother Beth... why don't you go cozy up on the lad..."

Super_Dooper

[4]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 15
    So do you think Carl actually shot his mum? I don't think he did, there was no body there, right? And Rick found the bullet on the ground? So zombie Lori is walking around in the prison somewhere? Do we think Carol is dead? I don't think she is, I mean, wouldn't they give her a better send off?

ionee24

[5]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 32
    Super_Dooper wrote:
    So do you think Carl actually shot his mum? I

He totally did, Rick found the case right there next to the zombie that ate the body.

Thank Lord Carl still has Beth.

JoaoBento

[6]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 2

So that was the reason that zombie was so fat . I was wondering why

Helostwin

[7]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 18
    Super_Dooper wrote:
    So do you think Carl actually shot his mum? I don't think he did, there was no body there, right?

He definitely shot Lori. The zombie dragged the body around the corner & ate it ( the writer said so on Talking Dead). Carl is turning into a little bad-ass this season. Of course he's a year older & has grown up a lot.

Super_Dooper

[8]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 15
    Ohhh, it makes sense now that it was the zombie that ate it. Poor Rick.

Marburg66

[9]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 6

I'm not saying this to anyone particular, Just sayin' as a vent: For those of you that think Lori is going to somehow magically return for whatever reason- You need to simply catchup with the speed of the show.

There's not going to be some cheap, TV trick that's going to bring her back. She's dead-dead & that's it. The writers of the show have proven time & again that in the Zombipocalypse, character ends are sudden, shocking & irreversible (just as they would be if it were to happen in reality) They've been absolutely crystal clear about that from the beginning, so those of you that question the return of Lori or question Carl's ability to put a bullet in his mother's brain, y'all need to go off & rewatch the entire show until you understand it better & stop trying to unload your own personal non-zombpocalypse ethics upon it.

Edited on 11/12/2012 8:53pm

PenguinSuzie

[10]Nov 14, 2012
    • level: 10

Marbug66 wrote:
    For those of you that think Lori is going to somehow magically return for whatever reason- You need to simply catchup with the speed of the show.
    I don't think she'll return, outside of possible flashbacks or delusions anyway. I was thinking at the end when Rick answered the phone that it could be a hallucination of his and that he could hear Shane or Lori's voice. Probably not but it'd be interesting and believable considering the current state he's in.

I'm really liking the doctor fellow, he seems pretty sensible and he didn't enjoy the games.

Michonne is great, she's been so hardened by the apocalypse (or was already) and it's like she's sort of grown accustomed to living like that and surviving on her own without needing to depend on anyone. I really like her friendship with Andrea. I was so hoping when she was in his house that she'd find the creepy jar heads.

It was really sweet how good Daryl was with the baby. It was nice to see him give a flower to Carol's grave, those were some peaceful shots of the light hitting the prison.

I liked the contrast between the town with their games that make walkers seem no danger (you know that's going to blow up in their faces) and the group dealing with the horrific reality, the deaths of their loved ones and Rick's breakdown. If the generally helpless townsfolk (I imagine they don't spend their time training with guns and other weapons to defend themselves against the walkers) really believe that it's just that easy and not that dangerous then when their town inevitably gets run over by them they're all going to die horribly.

I wondered if walkers would have something to do with the party but it never occurred to me that they'd use them like that.

The Governor is one of those people that you just know there's always something else lurking behind the smile. I was sort of surprised by his reaction to being threatened by Michonne, as if he didn't know how to handle his life being in danger.

Sill great to see Merle, I still think he's kind of mellowed out, he seems a lot less bigoted than in S1 (he was hopped up on drugs then but you get the impression that's the kind of person he was anyway.)

I kind of like the two new prisoner additions to the group.

The baby is adorable. I pretty worried that it won't make it out of this season alive though. When Daryl and Maggie were in that nursery place I was really hoping we wouldn't see any walker babies or anything, that would have been really creepy! Carl's baby name suggestions were idiotic, sure it was really nice when he suggested Sophia, but when he listed every female the group had lost; as if definitely naming a kid after those they'd lost instead of coming up with a new name so they could move forward into the future and not be reminded all the time was some sort of good idea. Naming someone after a dead loved one is nice but his complete list of dead women was no where near a good idea, not in their situation surrounded by constant tragedy. I don't know why that rubbed me the wrong way but something about the way he went about it did.

I'm so glad they cut away from the scene where Rick was stabbing the zombie (from it's seriously bloated stomach and the room I assume he's suppose to have consumed a large amount of Lori (super creepy!)) so that we didn't have to linger to much on the gore of it. When Rick picked up that bit of flesh from the floor (brain I think) for a disgusting moment I thought he was going to eat it.

I would have thought that the walkers would still be dangerous if they bit you (I wonder if the governor got the wrong idea about what made Michonne's jawless walkers rather helpless) I would think that just removing their teeth wouldn't insure that being bitten wouldn't effect you (it's not necessarily like they have venom coming out of their teeth, it could be their saliva or having parts of them blood or whatever enter directly into your blood stream. Since being splattered isn't enough it seems like it needs to get in under your skin to infect you.)

(I don't know why, but I had trouble posting this. It wouldn't work because of some random sentence (I reworded it. There was no swearing or anything rude and it wasn't copy and pasted from a document so I don't know why it did that. It was the sentence about being surprised the way walkers were used in the party.). I just got an 'Access Denied' page).

OdumC wrote:
    Oh and Daryl is quite the wingman... "Carl just shot his Mother Beth... why don't you go cozy up on the lad..."
    God I really hope there's nothing romantic between Beth/Carl, that would be gross. She's like 20 and he's like 10.

@OdumC You're really not suppose to double post. Use the drop down menu to edit your post.

Edited on 11/14/2012 10:57am
    Edited 4 total times.

OdumC

[11]Nov 14, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

@OdumC You're really not suppose to double post. Use the drop down menu to edit your post.

I was going to do that but it'd lose all the formatting of the entire first post just to add one line. seemed easier to just make a new one since up til now nobody has been that particular about posting and drilling people with rules.

ionee24

[12]Nov 14, 2012

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    OdumC wrote:

God I really hope there's nothing romantic between Beth/Carl, that would be gross. She's like 20 and he's like 10.

Actually, the characters are 16 and 13 respectively in case anyone wants to keep track.

Its the same age difference between Maggie and Glenn and I suspect between Hershel and his late wife (it seems to run in the family).

Edited on 11/14/2012 6:33pm

PenguinSuzie

[13]Nov 15, 2012
    • level: 10

Is Beth really only suppose to be 16? The actress is much older, and this would mean she was only like 15 in S2, she looked older than that, at least by 2 years anyway. I would have thought that she was at least 17 this season. I thought Carl was only still about 12, it hasn't been a whole year since S2. Where did you get the information? I don't usually totally trust wiki's since they're almost always unsourced.

Either way, even if he is 13 and she 16 (which isn't a huge age difference) I'd still find it really creep because he just seems SO young, while she seems like a young adult.

Edited on 11/15/2012 4:51am
    Edited 2 total times.

ionee24

[14]Nov 15, 2012

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

Actually, the characters are 16 and 13 respectively in case anyone wants to keep track.

Its the same age difference between Maggie and Glenn and I suspect between Hershel and his late wife (it seems to run in the family).

Is Beth really only suppose to be 16?...

Everyone who has seen the show knows Hershel and Maggie established Beth was 16 last season, that he was chasing her and Jimmy because she was 16 and he was confident he wouldn't have to chase Maggie and - I quote - "the asian boy" because she was older than that.

Edited on 11/15/2012 9:47am

Raccoon1459

[15]Nov 18, 2012
    • level: 22
    What in the world is wrong with Rick? The death of Lori messed him up badly.

sduvoisin

[16]Nov 18, 2012
    • level: 11

Lori I think was what was keeping the "Zombie Apocolypse" at bay for him. He had his wife, his son and another kid on the way. Sure there were problems but life still made "sense." When he lost her I think he realized that the world was screwed up and couldn't handle it. Hence all the crazy. It will be interesting to see what direction they take him in.

OdumC

[17]Nov 19, 2012
    Yeah that's kind of when it got real for Andrea too, she had family, then her sister died and she tried to commit suicide at the CDC. once that anchors gone they start actually dealing with this new way of life.

whatever120

[18]Nov 19, 2012
    • level: 6
    Well, such spurious, social factors such as an age difference tend to vanish when the world ends and your pool of potential partners gets severely limited.

OdumC

[19]Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah 3 year age difference isn't really that big a deal especially considering the fact that everybody had to grow up pretty quick in this new world.

sduvoisin

[20]Dec 13, 2012
    • level: 11

It will be interesting to see where they take things in the future.