The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Seed episode discussion

Raccoon1459

[1]Oct 14, 2012
    • level: 22

Good way to start the premiere. More action and blood, less drama.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PenguinSuzie

[2]Oct 15, 2012
    • level: 10

I looked but didn't see this discussion thread and created one for the episode. Then immediately saw that there already was one and deleted mine. I don't know how I blanked on it when looking for it. I guess I was just looking for numbers instead of the episode's name.

Great episode! I really enjoyed them going in and clearing out the prison. The start there when they're sitting around that house was very realistic in terms of how they keep going, surviving and doing what they can but the group as a whole isn't necessarily thriving socially. They're no longer quite as comfortable around each other, Rick's slight change probably has a bit to do with it, and the constant tragic state that they're forced to struggle through has really worn them down. They seemed quite distant from each other there and I thought it fit.

I didn't hate Lori so much this episode. Poor Hershel!. I didn't really like how they just let Carl wonder around as usual, but at least he seems capable of taking care of himself now. That song they sang around the fire (The Parting Glass) is an old Irish/Scottish song so I wonder how they both knew it by heart. Daryl is such a badass, you don't even worry that he'll get hurt most of the time since he knows what he's doing and can take care of himself. Daryl, Rick and Michonne seem like the main badasses, the ones that you seriously doubt that they'll die any time soon. I think it's great that the whole group is learning to defend themselves properly. I liked that there was mention of Shane, and that you could see (IMHO) that Rick was thinking of him during certain parts of that song 'but since it falls, into my lot, that I should rise and you should not' so I enjoyed that. I liked that it wasn't like he'd never been there. I liked Michonne and Andrea's sort of friendship there. They've been together for many months, considering that Lori is due any day!

Carol and Daryl's relationship maybe becoming romantic doesn't squick me like it seems to do a lot of others, but I'm not yet sure how interesting that dynamic would be for them. Whichever sort of relationship they have, or end up having I like that they're close.

Only two noticeably gory squick moment this episode. That zombie guard that Rick killed who's face practically came off with the helmet. They lingered on that. Also Hershel having his foot cut off. I'm really glad that they didn't just sit around and panic or worry over who'd have to kill him or anything, instead they were practical and did whatever they could to save him in a desperate moment.

I wonder if the other group in the jail saw Rick hack off his foot or if their surprise was just at seeing more people, and a threatening armed Daryl .

Edited on 10/15/2012 9:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Helostwin

[3]Oct 15, 2012
    • level: 18
    PENGUIN SUZIE- lots of rural American southerners are of Scottish, Irish or Scotch-Irish decent. Among Appalachian people it is the largest ethnic group.

Yaspaa

[4]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 79
    Well, I guess I'm in the minority, I've loved it up to now, but more action does not make a better show. Where's the tension? It played out like a computer game for me with no heart. The zombies aren't nearly as scary, they're just fodder. Hoping it gets much better. I didn't care for the new ninja chick either, I'm pretty gutted.

Raccoon1459

[5]Oct 16, 2012
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Well, I guess I'm in the minority, I've loved it up to now, but more action does not make a better show. Where's the tension? It played out like a computer game for me with no heart. The zombies aren't nearly as scary, they're just fodder. Hoping it gets much better. I didn't care for the new ninja chick either, I'm pretty gutted.

I like the ninja chick. I thought she was awesome!

Jemadari

[6]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 12

Hershel asking Carl if he'd found his own cell yet was a rare moment of funny for this show, I enjoyed that

The rest I didn't love or hate it just was what it was

danharr

[7]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 45

The ninja chick is from the comics so sadly Yaspaa you're going to have to accept her I disagree about the show going downhill after so much drama and emotional blood letting a little action seems great. I still feel the emotion was there with the group dynamic being so military instead of a family. We also have all the drama with Lori's baby and whats her face being sick with Michone. I like the direction for me it was drama balanced with the perfect amount of action.

Raccoon1459

[8]Oct 16, 2012
    What did everyone of the little ballad the girls sang? That was nice.

beowulf579

[9]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 59

The girls did a good job with that song. It's called The Parting Glass. Outside from the Walking Dead, Emily Kinney (Beth Greene) also does professional singing and put her own album out.

ionee24

[10]Oct 17, 2012
    • level: 32

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Carol and Daryl's relationship maybe becoming romantic doesn't squick me

I think they defy the stereotypes Falling Skies (Hal & Maggie/Tom & Ann), Revolution (Charlie & militia boy) or Supernatural (Winchester brother and [insert residen hottie]) like so much.

Granted, they are the least expecting pairing after 5 years apart Carl and Beth - or couple of years apart Glenn and Maggie - and they aren't getting any younger, but that's what I like the most about The Walking Dead: it defies expectations.

Edited on 10/17/2012 8:12am

beowulf579

[11]Oct 17, 2012
    • level: 59

ionee24 wrote:
    Granted, they are the least expecting pairing after 5 years apart Carl and Beth

What's even more odd is when you take into account for the actor's real ages. Chandler (Carl) is only around 13. Emily (Beth) is around 25-28 years old.

ionee24

[12]Oct 17, 2012
    • level: 32

beowulf579 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Granted, they are the least expecting pairing after 5 years apart Carl and Beth - or couple of years apart Glenn and Maggie - and they aren't getting any younger, but that's what I like the most about The Walking Dead: it defies expectations.

What's even more odd is when you take into account for the actor's real ages. Chandler (Carl) is only around 13. Emily (Beth) is around 25-28 years old.

It worked for Arya and Gendy in Game of Thrones, it works for Carl and Beth in The Walking Dead. These kids are as good great actors as their adult screen partners too.

MrShotShot

[13]Oct 17, 2012
    • level: 15

Great episode.

I like the increased action and felt they had to do that given the knocks they took last season. I still see this as a character driven drama, but I think Mazarra is going to strike a better balance than Darrabont did. That said, there will always be folks who aren't happy about it.

Couple of nitpicks:

-T-Dawg needs a new weapon. The fire poker just doesn't work because you'd never be able to pull it out of a zombie's skull once you slammed it in there. It's like a big iron fishhook.

-Enough with the spurting blood - any blood these things had in them has long ago dried out and, more importantly, there's nothing in them to pump the stuff if it was still liquid.

-Why go into the prison catacombs and risk yourselves like that. Just open the door, throw in one of those flashbangs and start making noise. The zombies will come to you and through the door one at a time.

tvonthedaily

[14]Oct 17, 2012
    • level: 1

I agree that they started this season off right! Season 2 was such a disappointment, for me, so I just needed Seed to reaffirm my absolute love for this show. It was reminiscent of the series premiere way back when! I just hope they keep it up...

Raccoon1459

[15]Oct 17, 2012
    beowulf579 wrote:

The girls did a good job with that song. It's called The Parting Glass. Outside from the Walking Dead, Emily Kinney (Beth Greene) also does professional singing and put her own album out.

I hope she sings another song on The Walking Dead soon. I know folks would love that!

No1Slayerette

[16]Oct 20, 2012
    • level: 9

Yaspaa wrote:

I agree with you Cal, action is one thing, but the group seems to have gotten so good at killing zombies that the actions sequences were actually quite boring; you're right, very little tension until the end of the episode. I was hoping for more character development, more of Rick's dominance over the group... I just hope they don't start to sacrifice character as a substitute for plot.

haldrey

[17]Oct 20, 2012
    Yaspaa wrote:

Not in a minority, at first this show was an interesting novelty but the second season was just more of the same and lacking a good storyline and the start of the third season was even worse. I had to watch the season premier in the Internet because my providers, Dish and Liberty, do no longer carry AMC but it looks like I am not going to loose anything, just more "walking" dead's that do it quite fast and dead that can be easily "killed" and a lame storyline. The only show that I am sorry to miss in AMC is Hell On Wheels.

amaryllis88

[18]Oct 21, 2012
    • level: 20

I enjoyed the first episode, more happened in this one episode than in several episodes from last season, I'm glad we have the action back! I'm glad the group moved into the prison, for now, and are working on clearing things up so that they can settle in. I'm enjoying the discord between Lori & Rick, Lori doesn't deserve Rick after what she's put him through, and she's trying to be all lovey dovey, and thank him for finding them a sheltered place to live. I can't understand why she would think that he'd so easily give in to her after how she reacted to his news of Shane from last season's finale.

I will admit that Carl didn't get on my nerves like he did last season. He seemed to have manned-up in this episode, and stayed out of people's ways, I thought it was a cute moment between him and Beth, and Hershel sorta comin' up from behind, that was cute!

Loved seeing Andrea & Michonne's relationship, she's a lot nicer than I thought her character would be, also still like her zombie accessories, they make great luggage racks!

Can't wait for the next episode!

wingsabre

[19]Oct 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    Great episode. Knew something bad would happen to Hershel when they brought him along. Rule one of clearing zombies, warfare and video games is always protect the healer.

antdude

[20]Oct 22, 2012
    • level: 28
    It was a good season premiere.