The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

The Woodbury Citizens

The Woodbury citizens are..

beowulf579

[1]Mar 26, 2013
    • level: 59

With all the extra episodes this season, there is one big FAIL I have to point out and that is the citizens of Woodbury. Does anyone care what happens to them?

There are suppose to be roughly 80 ppl there right? But the only representatives we have is the Gov and his thugs. The only times we really see the citizens as a group are at the zombie fights that make them seem bloodthirsty and after Rick and company attacks and then they seem like cowards.

From my POV, I could care less for them and they should all die at the end. But was that the point of their existence? Just to be zombie cannon fodder? Do you think the creative forces of TWD wanted that or should they have taken the time for us to actually have some meaningful connection to them?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ionee24

[2]Mar 26, 2013
    • level: 32

My favorites Woodbury citizens are: Karen, Ramirez and Milton.

14 year old Noah (a.k.a. "asthma kid") and Haley (a.k.a. "girl with a crossbow") were alright, but the Governor definitely needs to go. I'm not too fond of Dr. Stevens too.

Edited on 03/26/2013 1:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

OdumC

[3]Mar 26, 2013
    • level: 8
    Definitely innocent bystanders. the fact that the Governor lies to them about things like the military unit getting slaughtered kind of says it all. they're there for safety and he provides it. they don't get to see his torture rooms or how he has people killed.

Shame they couldn't have gotten them to the prison.. plenty of room and with all those hands to work that place would be a thriving fortress in no time.

Helostwin

[4]Mar 26, 2013
    • level: 17
    I'm guessing that they are going to be Walker-fodder once the Governor gets all the men & boys (Ben,Noah) and everyone else who can carry a gun killed in his "war" against the prison. Who is left to protect them at the barricades, MILTON?

beowulf579

[5]Mar 27, 2013
    • level: 59
    Helostwin wrote:
    I'm guessing that they are going to be Walker-fodder once the Governor gets all the men & boys (Ben,Noah) and everyone else who can carry a gun killed in his "war" against the prison. Who is left to protect them at the barricades, MILTON?

(500 years in the future at a gathering in Historic Woodbury)
    "And here we stand on the ancient site of Woodbury where my ancestor Governor Milton the First overthrew the warlord known simply as Philip the One-Eyed. Thanks to his brave leadership, he secured our future from the Biter Plague by discovering a cure and destroyed the enemies of our young republic."
    (Andrea the 20th finishes her little speech and the crowd goes wild)

Hey...it could happen..lol.

LordGrievous

[6]Mar 28, 2013
    • level: 13

Helostwin wrote:

Ben got killed when he got in Merle's wayof shooting the Governor.

Edited on 03/28/2013 3:19am

Helostwin

[7]Mar 28, 2013
    LordGrievous wrote:

Helostwin wrote:

Ben got killed when he got in Merle's wayof shooting the Governor.

Yes I know ben is dead (although at first I thought it was Noah who got shot).. I was using him as an example. When all the men & boys are dead who is going to man the barricades? Milton?

ionee24

[8]Mar 29, 2013
    I hate to adit this, but I think Milton is going to die by the season finale.

Unless he saves Andrea and runs like hell, he's doomed.

anthem47

[9]Mar 29, 2013
    • level: 6
    ionee24 wrote:

Yeah I think the writing is on the wall with him, the way him and the Governor are about to go head to head. It's a shame, I think he's an interesting character, a bit untrustworthy, a type of antagonist the show hasn't really had before (in the Gaius Baltar, wolf-in-the-fold sense), unlike Shane or Merle who were fairly upfront. Especially with Merle gone now, I think the group lacks a real destabilising force...although Michonne may provide that to a degree. The remaining group members like Daryl, Herschel or Glenn would follow Rick off the ends of the earth...which is great if you're actually in this situation, haha, but doesn't make for very good television.

What I'm wondering about Woodbury is where they'll be at the end of the season. Assuming the Governor dies, you don't want to give your characters the possibility of shaking up in Woodbury from here on, it would totally change the show. So you have to either leave Woodbury hostile to the prison group, or...have them wiped out by a wave of zombies. Of course, the prison has to get overrun as well since you don't want your cast stuck in there for another season, so a wave of zombies fixes two problems at once! (Mind you I know nothing about the comics, the Governor may not die, which changes all of this.)

Raccoon1459

[10]Mar 31, 2013
    • level: 22

You really don't care if they die or not? Geez.

Edited on 03/31/2013 6:28am

ionee24

[11]Mar 31, 2013
    anthem47 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Yeah I think the writing is on the wall with him, the way him and the Governor are about to go head to head. It's a shame, I think he's an interesting character, a bit untrustworthy, a type of antagonist the show hasn't really had before

At least not on Rick's group.

The guy is a pacifist that act by his own code. I like that about him, even if he's in the wrong team.

Helostwin

[12]Mar 31, 2013
    Oh great! The only ones left except Tyresse are senior citizens. And WHY go to the prison instrad of our group moving to Woodbury? I've done a 180 on Carl >>> I was his biggest fan here now he's turning into another Governor. He lost me when he hilled that kid. Carl needs to be eaten. I never thought I would say that.

LordGrievous

[13]Apr 1, 2013
    • level: 13

Helostwin wrote:
    Oh great! The only ones left except Tyresse are senior citizens. And WHY go to the prison instrad of our group moving to Woodbury? I've done a 180 on Carl >>> I was his biggest fan here now he's turning into another Governor. He lost me when he hilled that kid. Carl needs to be eaten. I never thought I would say that.

More like Shane considering the way he lied to Rick.

Helostwin

[14]Apr 1, 2013
    LordGrievous wrote:

Helostwin wrote:

More like Shane considering the way he lied to Rick.

Either way, Shane & the Governor are/were both sociopaths & Carl is too. Maybe (like I suggested last year) Judith wasn't the only kid to inherit Shanes genes. They mentioned Shane was over the Grimes house a LOT. Maybe that's where Carl gets hismental illness from.

ionee24

[15]Apr 1, 2013
    I still can't get over Milton.

Good Tyresse and his sister got out of there alive though. Did anybody see Karen? or Noah?

anthem47

[16]Apr 1, 2013
    • level: 6

ionee24 wrote:
    I still can't get over Milton. Good Tyresse and his sister got out of there alive though. Did anybody see Karen? or Noah?

You do see Karen getting off the bus in one of the final shots, so she's around. I'll be interested to see if she comes back as a recurring character next season?

As for Noah, as far as I could tell you couldn't see him in the finale at all. On one hand I would expect him to be with the group that assaulted the prison since he was training to go, but Karen appeared to be the only survivor from those that were slaughtered (and she is his mother, and didn't seem concerned or upset about him in particular, as if he was safe back at Woodbury).

OdumC

[17]Apr 1, 2013
    • level: 8
    Helostwin wrote:
    . And WHY go to the prison instrad of our group moving to Woodbury?

The prison is by far the easier thing to defend than an open air town with some makeshift barricades.

Now that the Governor threat has been averted they can devote some time to beefing things up. fix those fences, find a local heavy equipment rental place, get some heavy machinery like backhoes, hit surrounding areas for fuel and dig some nice deep trenches around the fenceline so no cars could drive through them and any herds would spill into them instead of being able to push the fences over just by sheer numbers. make a nice drawbridge for the gate area... Raid local supply places for plywood, cover those fences if they aren't going to pour concrete on them just so they can walk around without walkers outside being attracted to them.

The prison has more potential than woodbury ever did considering all it took was loosening one piece of sheet metal before walkers were on the streets biting people in broad daylight.

ionee24

[18]Apr 4, 2013
    anthem47 wrote:

ionee24 wrote:
    I still can't get over Milton. Good Tyresse and his sister got out of there alive though. Did anybody see Karen? or Noah?

You do see Karen getting off the bus in one of the final shots, so she's around. I'll be interested to see if she comes back as a recurring character next season?

They keep her, right? She wasn't with them when they went for Andrea so I had my doubts.