The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

This show hates black people

Sovelin

[1]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 5

Let's take a look at all the black people in this show. The first two we meet are the kid and his dad, who we never see after the first episode. Then we see two more that are part of the group of survivors. T-Dawg gets his butt kicked. The woman, who barely had any lines, commits suicide. Now, let's be perfectly honest. When season 2 starts again after the hiatus, and T-Dawg is magically not in the show anymore, would anyone even notice? He's not even a small part of the story any more.

I kinda find it comical. Anyone else agree?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

OdumC

[2]Dec 16, 2011
    • level: 8

Sovelin wrote:

Let's take a look at all the black people in this show. The first two we meet are the kid and his dad, who we never see after the first episode. Then we see two more that are part of the group of survivors. T-Dawg gets his butt kicked. The woman, who barely had any lines, commits suicide. Now, let's be perfectly honest. When season 2 starts again after the hiatus, and T-Dawg is magically not in the show anymore, would anyone even notice? He's not even a small part of the story any more.

Morgan and Dwayne were good people, and Rick's left signs for him to follow so they might eventually catch up.

T-Dog got his butt kicked, Rick got shot, Amy got bit, Merle hacked off his own hand to get off the roof, Ed got his butt kicked AND bit.. what's your point? bad things happen to people in the group.

Jacqui was a usual fixture in season 1, she had a lot of lines with the girls doing the laundry and a few in camp as well. She was even on the Atlanta scavenging run that Rick ran into and had lines there...she seemed to like Jim and seemed really heartbroken when he got left behind, i think it was depression that kept her at the CDC but she is far from an unheard character.

i think you're watching this thinking too much about race. I don't see it. get back to me when they start lowering T-Dog into wells as walker bait.

Edited on 12/16/2011 3:14pm

whatever120

[3]Dec 17, 2011
    • level: 6

Just because we haven't seen the father and kid from the first episode yet doesn't mean we're not going to. This is the kind of show which I enjoy. One that leaves some threads open and creates a bit of mystery as to whether that's all we'll see or something that occurred earlier might pop up again without warning. If everything was given to us upfront, it would create a very boring show. So don't count anyone out yet - unless they've been zombiefied or blown away of course!

Ploop

[5]Dec 18, 2011

Carol washes clothes and got her kid killed lol...now thats a great role, why aren't all the depressed and future-deprived housewives not complaining yet??? Tdog only got cut on his arm... and are they not saying that there will be an zombie @ss kicking black female joining at the end of the season???

Shoot why doesn't this website work properly? It takes waaaay too long to load...anyone else having problems?

Edited on 12/18/2011 1:48pm

ionee24

[6]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 32

OdumC wrote:
    Sovelin wrote:

Morgan and Dwayne were good people, and Rick's left signs for him to follow so they might eventually catch up.

T-Dog got his butt kicked, Rick got shot, Amy got bit, Merle hacked off his own hand to get off the roof, Ed got his butt kicked AND bit.. what's your point? bad things happen to people in the group.

Jacqui was a usual fixture in season 1, she had a lot of lines with the girls doing the laundry and a few in camp as well. She was even on the Atlanta scavenging run that Rick ran into and had lines there...she seemed to like Jim and seemed really heartbroken when he got left behind, i think it was depression that kept her at the CDC but she is far from an unheard character.

i think you're watching this thinking too much about race. I don't see it. get back to me when they start lowering T-Dog into wells as walker bait.

...or when his only daughter becomes a zombie, like Carol's, or his only brother goes missing, like Daryl's, or when his only wife gets killed like Jenner's, or... the only character in The Walking Dead who has has never suffered any loss so far it's Lori's and she's not exacty thrilled with her pregnancy either.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[7]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 13
    OdumC wrote:

Sovelin wrote:

Indeed!

Shane94

[8]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 2
    i hate anti-racists. like the opposite of racists. they think everything is about race and oh they must be racist. in reality i think only 10% of ppl in america are black so t-dog and morgan and dwaye are 3 out of about 30 or so living characters so its accurate.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[9]Dec 21, 2011
    Shane94 wrote:
    i hate anti-racists. like the opposite of racists. they think everything is about race and oh they must be racist. in reality i think only 10% of ppl in america are black so t-dog and morgan and dwaye are 3 out of about 30 or so living characters so its accurate.

Well, it is actually about 13.6% of the ppl in america are black (but close enough - good guess). However, your reasoning is flawed when it comes to your 3 out of about 30 scenario. Blacks make up 35% of the population of Atlanta (one of the places visited in TWD) and in some counties within Atlanta, those numbers soar upward. So it depends on the logistics of the show and the demographics of that area.

danharr

[10]Dec 25, 2011
    • level: 45

One character commits suicide and one gets beat up ah ha we have a conspiracy it's obvious! Yeah lets just ignore the two ignorant stereotypical rednecks, the abusive husband and his weak wife who wouldn't stand up for herself, a sociopath who will do anything to get what he wants including almost murdering his best friend and a woman who doesn't follow group orders and everyone hates all of which are white smh.

Sovelin

[11]Dec 27, 2011

wow, lol. The title may have been too strong, but did you actually read the post? I just found it funny how little T-Dawgs character matters in this show. He does virtually nothing and has no interesting stories. The rest have all had interesting, or at least entertaining, plots. All I was saying was he could randomly not appear when the show comes back from hiatus and it wouldn't even matter. Calm down people, lol.

boneslover4

[12]Dec 31, 2011
    People aren't really overreacting to your post. There's no need for them to calm down. They read it clearly and they responded quite calmly. You were asking a question and they answered. If you were asking rhetorical questions, I don't think there was any need for this to have been started in the first place.

OdumC

[13]Dec 31, 2011
    I obviously needed to be calmed down as it's plain to see he sent me into hysterics with his edginess.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[14]Jan 4, 2012
    OdumC wrote:
    I obviously needed to be calmed down as it's plain to see he sent me into hysterics with his edginess.

I am still in therapy as well.

Raccoon1459

[15]Feb 10, 2012
    • level: 22

Now just because there's not that many black people on the show, it doesn't mean that the people who make it are you know...racist.

akill3672

[16]Mar 5, 2012
    • level: 1

Ok, I think what the poster is trying to say is that T-Dawg never has any lines, he never interacts with any of the other characters. He has not built any relationships within the group, or exposed any humanity that would endear him to the people that watch the show. He is there, whenever there is a group shot, but never has anything to say. Why keep him around if he never has any missions, or subplots; like all of the other characters do. So far, he has just been a token; a part of the scenery...to make it look more diverse. I'm not saying the writers of the show are racist, not at all, I just think they are ignoring a potentially great character, and letting him go to waste by not developing him. I mean...they seem to have found the time to develop all of the other characters this season. Why not T-Dawg?

OdumC

[17]Mar 5, 2012
    I say T-Dog will be just fine,**SPOILER** SKIP IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN JUDGE,JURY, EXECUTIONER ** I think he's going to fill a lot of the void left by all Dale's scenes, I think they might lose someone during the inevitable Shane rebellion but i think T-Dogs safe and not just for cultural diversity, I think his character will get some more attention with the new gaps coming in the show.

Mitoch

[18]Mar 5, 2012
    • level: 11

boneslover4 wrote:
    People aren't really overreacting to your post. There's no need for them to calm down. They read it clearly and they responded quite calmly. You were asking a question and they answered. If you were asking rhetorical questions, I don't think there was any need for this to have been started in the first place.

Dave Chappelle had a comedy routine about an uncle who saw racism everywhere.

"Why are Trix for kids? And then kids are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs? Gotta be crazy to like the black cereal!"

"Notice the green olives are in a glass container? Where are the black olives? Locked up in a can!"

angeleys151

[19]Mar 5, 2012
    akill3672 wrote:

Ok, I think what the poster is trying to say is that T-Dawg never has any lines, he never interacts with any of the other characters. He has not built any relationships within the group, or exposed any humanity that would endear him to the people that watch the show. He is there, whenever there is a group shot, but never has anything to say. Why keep him around if he never has any missions, or subplots; like all of the other characters do. So far, he has just been a token; a part of the scenery...to make it look more diverse. I'm not saying the writers of the show are racist, not at all, I just think they are ignoring a potentially great character, and letting him go to waste by not developing him. I mean...they seem to have found the time to develop all of the other characters this season. Why not T-Dawg?

I agree, there were a few episodes I don't remember seeing him at all and remember thinking "did I miss his death scene?" I hope his lack of development is just an oversight due to trying to explore already established story lines (Sophia missing, Carl shot, Shane going crazy) and that we will find out more about him soon.

I don't think it means the writers and creators are racist but it has struck me as odd that for a show set in Georgia there is (currently) only one black character

OdumC

[20]Mar 5, 2012
    Actually it's a little unrealistic to even find one black guy with the group as they know hanging out with a group of all white people is the fastest way to end up dead in a situation like that.

This is why T-Dog can't walk 3 feet without almost severing an artery in his arm, he's not clumsy, fate was trying to kill him.