The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCBetween Seasons

Was Shane's actions the right thing to do? (Spoilers)

oz_island

[22]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 12
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...Shane's way is probably the best way to survive zombie land, but it is no way to live life. Living life like that is like the title of the episode, you're "Pretty Much Dead Already."

The other issue is that what Shane did had nothing to do with protecting his "friends." Shane has no real friends...just people that he uses or feels he's entitled to.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[23]Dec 1, 2011
    • level: 13
    Helostwin wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    LordGrievous wrote:

OdumC wrote:
    Yeah, the guy Helped them with Carl, gave them a safe spot to conduct the search for Sophia, tolerated them killing a walker in his well, tolerated Andrea shooting what she thought was a walker, went through a lot of their own medical supplies taking care of not only Carl, But T-Dawg, Daryl. any injury. and what does he get as a thanks? Shane deciding it's his show and he'll do what he wants and to hell with Herschel. and you saw how nuts Shane got just finding out Lori's pregnant. imagine how he'll get when the babies born. someone will need to give him 2 in the back of the head before that happens.

I'm hoping that happens real soon.

though a shot in the leg with zombies coming at him would be better.

Indeed!

Completely agree. I hate Shane. Also on a related topic >>> does anyone notice they suddenly have LOTS of ammunition & for a wide variety of weapons? Enough to expend it on target practice. I don't think they were able to stock up at the CDC (although a few boxes of granades would have been a nice addition & maybe a 50 cal machine gun for the Winnebago roof). So where did it al come from? Certainly not from the farm!

Yea I noticed that too. Especially was perplexed about target practice. You have enough bullets to waste on target practice???

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[24]Dec 1, 2011
    ZsinDobre wrote:

"Hate Shane"... "Love Shane"... it's the great Shane debate in hereSmile.

Shane's a loose cannon. The barn scene, what went down with Otis... without Shane all the things we're discussing in here wouldn't have happened. You need a "Shane" on a good series, that's why I love his character. He's so dynamic. He creates drama. But regarding what he represents in morals, I totally get why a lot of you don't like him. I can't endorse a lot of Shane's actions, definitely not in a world without zombies. I can't really endorse a lot of Shane's actions in a world WITH zombies either, but I can understand what drives him and enjoy it as entertainment.

Also... to the original poster... The question you pose doesn't really have a right or wrong answer. I think it's exactly what we're supposed to be asking ourselves. And by what you come up with, you discover a little something about yourself. Like what you're made ofWink.

Indeed!

Raccoon1459

[25]Dec 2, 2011
    • level: 22

It wasn't right for Shane to just let the zombies kill Otis.

I thought it was right for Shane to kill the zombie version of Sophia. If there was a good alternative, I say go for it. It was better than being bitten. The risk is not worth it.

oz_island

[26]Dec 2, 2011
    • level: 12

Raccoon1459 wrote:

I thought it was right for Shane to kill the zombie version of Sophia. If there was a good alternative, I say go for it. It was better than being bitten. The risk is not worth it.

Shane didn't kill zombie Sophia. Rick did. Shane stood there and did nothing because he couldn't make the hard choice. Every choice Shane has made has been the easy cowardly one.

Edited on 12/02/2011 7:42am

Raccoon1459

[27]Dec 2, 2011
    • level: 22
    oz_island wrote:

Raccoon1459 wrote:

Shane didn't kill zombie Sophia. Rick did. Shane stood there and did nothing because he couldn't make the hard choice. Every choice Shane has made has been the easy cowardly one.

You're right. It was Rick. My mistake.

OdumC

[28]Dec 2, 2011
    • level: 8

Dale made a pretty good point when Shane found him in the swamp.. "Impressive tracking skills, if you used them to help look for Sophia we probably would have found her by now"

Edited on 12/02/2011 9:04am

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[29]Dec 2, 2011
    OdumC wrote:

Dale made a pretty good point when Shane found him in the swamp.. "Impressive tracking skills, if you used them to help look for Sophia we probably would have found her by now"

That thought crossed my mind as well. Makes you wonder if he really tried hard or just didn't really care.

OdumC

[30]Dec 2, 2011
    • level: 8
    the ONLY time I saw him searching was taking Andrea out for her sink or swim lesson and he seemed to think even that was a waste of time, remember he's the one who wanted to call off the search days before.

I guess he figures sophia's so small if he had to shoot her for the zombies to eat while he ran away they wouldn't be on her long so she wasn't worth the effort.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[31]Dec 2, 2011
    OdumC wrote:
    the ONLY time I saw him searching was taking Andrea out for her sink or swim lesson and he seemed to think even that was a waste of time, remember he's the one who wanted to call off the search days before.

I guess he figures sophia's so small if he had to shoot her for the zombies to eat while he ran away they wouldn't be on her long so she wasn't worth the effort.

LOL!

PenguinSuzie

[32]Apr 7, 2012
    • level: 10

Shane is logical about things but is impulsive and does things in the wrong way.

OdumC wrote:
    He looked horrified and grief stricken as people he considered friends that he was gathering and protecting were gunned down by this group of strangers he let stay on his farm
    Yes because he suddenly realised that they were dead already, he'd been holding on to false hope that they would find a cure and save his family and friends.
    OdumC wrote:
    The way I see it, they were guests on someone elses property. if Herschel wants the walkers handled a certain way, that's his call. Shane, as usual, was just asserting his will on others regardless of right or wrong.
    They were guests and should respect that but he was asking them to bring walkers onto the farm to hold en masse in a barn right beside where they were sleeping or to go back out into the zombie apocalypse and die. Shane chose option c, wrong way to go about it though.
    oz_island wrote:
    The other issue is that what Shane did had nothing to do with protecting his "friends." Shane has no real friends...just people that he uses or feels he's entitled to.
    I really think he does care about them but like he said he just turns off that switch. Or tries to anyway.I think he went slowly insane.
    OdumC wrote:
    He searched for a little while but thought she was dead already. Which she was unfortunately.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[33]Apr 9, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

Shane is logical about things but is impulsive and does things in the wrong way.

OdumC wrote:
    He looked horrified and grief stricken as people he considered friends that he was gathering and protecting were gunned down by this group of strangers he let stay on his farm
    Yes because he suddenly realised that they were dead already, he'd been holding on to false hope that they would find a cure and save his family and friends.
    OdumC wrote:
    The way I see it, they were guests on someone elses property. if Herschel wants the walkers handled a certain way, that's his call. Shane, as usual, was just asserting his will on others regardless of right or wrong.
    They were guests and should respect that but he was asking them to bring walkers onto the farm to hold en masse in a barn right beside where they were sleeping or to go back out into the zombie apocalypse and die. Shane chose option c, wrong way to go about it though.
    oz_island wrote:
    I really think he does care about them but like he said he just turns off that switch. Or tries to anyway.I think he went slowly insane.
    OdumC wrote:
    He searched for a little while but thought she was dead already. Which she was unfortunately.

If Shane had a problem how Herschel ran his farm, all he had to do is leave. Shane never put any real effort to tracking Sophia.

PenguinSuzie

[34]Apr 27, 2012
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    If Shane had a problem how Herschel ran his farm, all he had to do is leave.
    Is that what you would do if you had a problem with it? Herschel sure wasn't going to change his mind. Shane would have had to leave everyone behind and what's probably the only safe place in hundreds of miles. With walkers there he knew the group wouldn't really be safe, and they certainly weren't all gong to leave, even if he had.
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Shane never put any real effort to tracking Sophia.
    True, but he thought she was dead already or if she'd possibly survived that they would never manage to find her alive, and tracking her was splitting up and endangering everyone else. It was cold of him though.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[35]Apr 27, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    If Shane had a problem how Herschel ran his farm, all he had to do is leave.
    Is that what you would do if you had a problem with it? Herschel sure wasn't going to change his mind. Shane would have had to leave everyone behind and what's probably the only safe place in hundreds of miles. With walkers there he knew the group wouldn't really be safe, and they certainly weren't all gong to leave, even if he had.
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Shane never put any real effort to tracking Sophia.
    True, but he thought she was dead already or if she'd possibly survived that they would never manage to find her alive, and tracking her was splitting up and endangering everyone else. It was cold of him though.

That's exactly what I would have to do. Either stay and be quiet or leave and go on my own. LOL...It's almost like living with your parents and having a difference of opinion on how the household should be ran. If you have a difference of opinion, you either stay there and follow the rules or try to tough it out in the cruel world on your own. You wouldn't try to take over the house. Either scenario can result in "grave" circumstances. Please excuse the horrible pun.

About Shane thinking Sophia was dead already and making no real effort in trying to track her. Didn't he think Rick was dead once before only to find out he wasn't??? That should have been on the back of his mind and prepelled him to give a real effort in trying to track Sophia.

PenguinSuzie

[36]Apr 27, 2012
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    It's almost like living with your parents and having a difference of opinion on how the household should be ran. If you have a difference of opinion, you either stay there and follow the rules or try to tough it out in the cruel world on your own.
    Or talk about whatever the problem is. It really depends on how severe you think something is. I do think Herschel was wrong but think Shane was also very wrong in the way he tried to fix it.

Shane is the kind of guy that has good intentions or ideas but is so cold, impulsive and demanding about them that he ends up turning it into a worse situation than before. Escape to save Carl becomes murder Otis. Make everyone realise what they are agreeing to so that they can stay and be safe becomes free the barn full of walkers and hope for the best. He's logical and rational, but completely irrational in the way he chooses to go about things, he doesn't stop and think or try and find a way around things he just does them. He doesn't try and find a compromise or discuss the problems with people when he really really should.
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Didn't he think Rick was dead once before only to find out he wasn't??? That should have been on the back of his mind and prepelled him to give a real effort in trying to track Sophia.
    Good point. It should have at least crossed his mind. Though that didn't end well for him, one more person to fear he'll lose and to organize into the group, it's worrying how his thought process seemed to work by then. I really don't think he was in his right mind. To me it seemed like he totally lost it over time. The way he goes about things... he just ends up the bad guy, the dangerous one, but I don't think he was always like that.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[37]Apr 27, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    It's almost like living with your parents and having a difference of opinion on how the household should be ran. If you have a difference of opinion, you either stay there and follow the rules or try to tough it out in the cruel world on your own.
    Or talk about whatever the problem is. It really depends on how severe you think something is. I do think Herschel was wrong but think Shane was also very wrong in the way he tried to fix it.

Shane is the kind of guy that has good intentions or ideas but is so cold, impulsive and demanding about them that he ends up turning it into a worse situation than before. Escape to save Carl becomes murder Otis. Make everyone realise what they are agreeing to so that they can stay and be safe becomes free the barn full of walkers and hope for the best. He's logical and rational, but completely irrational in the way he chooses to go about things, he doesn't stop and think or try and find a way around things he just does them. He doesn't try and find a compromise or discuss the problems with people when he really really should.
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Didn't he think Rick was dead once before only to find out he wasn't??? That should have been on the back of his mind and prepelled him to give a real effort in trying to track Sophia.
    Good point. It should have at least crossed his mind. Though that didn't end well for him, one more person to fear he'll lose and to organize into the group, it's worrying how his thought process seemed to work by then. I really don't think he was in his right mind. To me it seemed like he totally lost it over time. The way he goes about things... he just ends up the bad guy, the dangerous one, but I don't think he was always like that.

Good point as well@not thinking he was in his right mind...at some point. I also agree that Shane is completely irrational in the way he chooses to go about things, he doesn't stop and think or try and find a way around things he just does them. He doesn't try and find a compromise or discuss the problems with people when he really really should. But I think he is that way because he DOES NOT have good intentions. His actions are self motivated, self serving and down right borderline megalomaniacal.

ionee24

[38]May 7, 2012
    • level: 32

oz_island wrote:

That's Shane in a nutshell IMO