The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCIn Season

Who is the Weakest Link from the Atlanta Survivors, Strongest? (2nd Season)

beowulf579

[101]Feb 14, 2012
    • level: 59
    Ok....here we go again
    Well, in many ways the status quo was upheld a bit with Nebraska but there were a few changes I feel.

The Strongest:
    1. Shane and Rick- I got to give this a tie. Normally I would give it up to Shane but after watching Rick blow those two guys away..wow. Rick can measure a person up thanks to his police background and he can keep his cool. If Shane was in the same situation, I think he might have tried to kill them too soon and would have ended up dead.
    2. Daryl- Ok, he has quieted down and is brooding in Nebraska but that is understandable. But unlike some, this isn't effecting his ability to survive. When telling Lori to get lost he seems to be working on some new arrows perhaps. Though in grief, he is still focused on living.
    3. Glenn- Gotta give the man a higher ranking than some for hooking up with Maggie and sliding into a role of protector. His only real fault in Nebraska is that he is still a little bit too trusting of strangers. He was way open with the bar hoppers. Rick had them sized up pretty quick. And while Rick blew them away, Glenn never got his rifle even up. I think he also gained some points with Herschel.
    4. Andrea- Great with the gun now but I'm not too sure about how flexible she is. She seems a little too cocky right now and that's why I had to put her at #4 below Glenn.
    5. T-Dog- He seemed to step up a little bit since the early going of the second season. He is working and being useful. Sophia's death and the Rick/Shane drama doesn't seem to be affecting him that much.
    6. Dale- Shane can be right sometimes and he slammed Dale on his usefulness around the group. Dale's usefulness isn't in brute strength but life experience.
    7. Carl- I am certain that he will go on this season to rise in the rankings. He is getting colder and that can translate into being a good survivor. Might not be the joy of the party but he will be alive.
    8. Lori- What can I say. She means well but soemtimes I wish Rick would just say, "woman...shut up and leave me be. I know we are in it bad. I know we need someplace safe to stay." And Nebraska shows me that she has little common sense. Read the map before taking off down the road. Forget the Walkers, this is the south...she could have just as easily hit a deer. Also..Rick knows they need to get Hershcel back.
    9. Carol- For all of Loir's stupidity...I almost put Carol above her. But with Sophia's death...Carol is just decimated. If an attack would have happened in Nebraska...she would have died or gotten someone else killed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beowulf579

[103]Feb 15, 2012
    Helostwin wrote:
    There's hardly any of the original group left 6 out of 24 (assuming Lori is dead). So this thread has become pointless

You will forgive me if I don't take your opinion too seriously since their are more than 6 from season one left. But if you think it's all pointless, don't participate.

OdumC

[104]Feb 15, 2012
    • level: 8
    We have Rick
    Shane
    Daryl
    Dale
    Carl
    T-Dog
    Andrea
    Glen
    Carol

And Lori probably survived. so There's 9 definite and possible for 10.

beowulf579

[105]Feb 15, 2012
    Just curious OdumC, why did you put Glen so low on your list.

OdumC

[106]Feb 15, 2012
    there was no real order, just putting names as they occurred to me.. Glen seems to always be in the background even when he's in a scene..

OdumC

[107]Feb 15, 2012

Also, out of the adults they lost,

Merle -Missing - Trouble

Ed - Dead - Trouble

Jim - Dead - Loss

Amy - Dead - Loss

Jacqui - Dead - Loss (if only for laundry)

Morales and Miranda Left the group with their 3? 4 kids? is this really a loss? that's a lot of kids to have to keep an eye on with everything happening. I mean we've seen the issues with Sophia and Carl...

Now all the 20 something at the campsite, I pointed that out in a post before, but most of those people never had any screen time besides getting munched and no lines. they were filler so they could have people die during the zombie raid on the camp without making it seem too simple. And while Shane wants to keep screaming that's Ricks fault, the night before they were huddled behind low campfires whispering over how many logs to put on a fire, Rick takes a group to Atlanta to get the guns and the radio and the group has a freakin fish fry complete with loud talking and laughing. the smell alone would lure anything that got curious for miles.

if Shane was so worried like he kept saying, why wouldn't they all be in the rv overnight since they were so shorthanded, not to mention that Shane had already written off more people than that when he thought they were trapped in Atlanta But to recap, there's more than 6 out of 24 left, or 25% they lost 4 adults out of 18 people to zombies and then the hispanic couple left with their kids.

Out of all of those, Jim seems like the biggest loss considering he was a mechanic. but I guess when you're cruising around streets filled with abandoned cars, transportation becomes somewhat disposable. even if he could have been invaluable for mechanical knowledge. the others seemed like dead weight.

Edited on 02/15/2012 11:59am

beowulf579

[110]Feb 16, 2012
    "Out of all of those, Jim seems like the biggest loss considering he was a mechanic."

I agree Odum. Not to mention he was relatively healthy. Healthy enough to dig all those graves in the Georgia heat.
    While there are many vehicles to choose from, they all will eventually break down. Dale might be able to rig up something once in awhile but when soemthing really bad breaks...a Jim might be nice to have about.

ionee24

[111]Feb 16, 2012
    • level: 32

Gera777 wrote:

ionee24 wrote:
    OdumC wrote:
    People write Carol off as weak but in season 1 she went from meekly mumbling "that's just the way it is" to creaming Ed's skull 4 times with a pickaxe.. in season 2 she's worried about Sophia but that didn't stop her from standing up to the group saying "We're not going anywhere til we find my daughter" to begging Daryl not to look for her because he might injure himself more. So she put Daryl before her own missing child. Carol has come a long way from the meek little clothes washer resigned to her life and it just being "how it is". So she ran towards zombie sophia. that was her child. what parent wouldn't?
    The thing is: that scene was so powerful to me because they all saw Sophia instead of a zombie, Carol ran to her daughter, Carl was crying for his best/only friend, Rick shot a child he knew instead of a monster, etc. Sophia, in death, made for Hershel's case better than anyone in that farm did so alive.

This scene will take an overwhelming effect on survivors!

I agree, it'll probably shift the weakest link/strongest link ratio as well!

OdumC

[112]Feb 16, 2012
    All I got from Dale was he can change a hose.. which is about as hard as turning a straight slot screwdriver.. He really strikes me as the "wise old tagalong" And I think they'll run out of gas long before they run out of abandoned cars to take

Meanwhile Jim looked at Rick's box truck and immediately knew the hose would work.. which makes me think how invaluable he'd be engineering wise building defenses/weapons etc. and yeah, he was strong and proved he wasn't afraid to get into it.. (bit on the stomach? how the hell did THAT happen?)

beowulf579

[113]Feb 16, 2012
    @Odum- Jim really wasn't lucky. You're right...how did he get bit there of all places?

I will take up for Dale in that he can be a calming influence of sorts with those that are stressed or such. He has helped Glen and Lori through some things. He can rub ppl the wrong way with his worry like Andrea and def Shane.

beowulf579

[114]Feb 21, 2012
    Well...with Triggerfinger there were a few change ups.

Lori, I can't believe I am saying this but she has moved up in the list. I have to put above Glen since he froze. Carol is still at the bottom just because she is the only Atlanta survivor that never killed anything yet.

OdumC

[115]Feb 21, 2012
    I can't fault Glen, he's the go to town and scavenge supplies guy... not the gunfight guy, he does ok with walkers but against other humans, that's just not his element.

It didn't help they saddled him with a shotgun, Glen's natural advantage is being small and fast and they want him staggering around waving that thing? give him a handgun and he'd seem more at ease. Hershel being not only slower, but larger and a farmer, should have been using the shotgun. ease with a handgun didn't feel right coming from him. But Glens reaction can't really be held against his usefulness, he was just a bad choice to have around at that time. Save Shane, no one would have been particularly good in that situation.

Lori loses points for using the gun when she could have recycled that turn signal handle from the first zombies head. and keep in mind we're still scoring from the original reason she was in the situation to begin with: Lori can't drive down a f'ing street.

beowulf579

[116]Feb 21, 2012
    OdumC wrote:
    I can't fault Glen, he's the go to town and scavenge supplies guy... not the gunfight guy, he does ok with walkers but against other humans, that's just not his element.

Lori loses points for using the gun when she could have recycled that turn signal handle from the first zombies head. and keep in mind we're still scoring from the original reason she was in the situation to begin with: Lori can't drive down a f'ing street.

Lol...I was trying to be nice to Lori for once. Yeah, kind of hard to give her points when it was her own stupidty that got her into that mess to begin with.

I always have hope for Glen. He just needs to get his "walker-bait" mojo back next episode and all will be well.

OdumC

[117]Feb 23, 2012
    You know something, after a rewatch, Glen DOES lose points.not for freezing, I still stand by the fact that is in NO way Glens element, but for his excuse. "some chick told me she loved me so when some guy missed shooting me by like an inch I piddled myself like a scared puppy and hid behind some trash cans til the bad men went away cause of that, not cause i just lost it for a sec....."

Funny but Rick credits Lori with being the reason he's a gunslingin, dave droppin, tony cappin badass. Glen credits Maggie with making him want to hide and soil himself.

that and if you watch the scene, they specifically show the same zombie Glen shoots get up 3 times. he was just firing wildly, wasn't making headshots, just total panic.

alisabir

[118]Feb 24, 2012
    • level: 1

Before Pretty Much Dead Already, I would've said Carol has developed a strong character since the death of her husband, Ed. Being abused, pre-apocalypse, Carol had sensed a weakness to her husband and had been over-protective of Sophia. since his death, she felt a sense of freedom - however this was only for a limited time until she found that Sophia died, in which she has a mental breakdown.

Strongest: Daryl Dixon. He has shown an experience towards weapons such as his infamous crossbow, and logically this is the first thing that would come to mind in a zombie apocalypse.

Weakest: Since her daughters death, Carol has shown a major weakness and she doesn't even know how to handle a gun. If she's to survive, she better learn to handle one.

beowulf579

[119]Feb 24, 2012
    "Weakest: Since her daughters death, Carol has shown a major weakness and she doesn't even know how to handle a gun. If she's to survive, she better learn to handle one."

As far as I know..she is the only major character now that has never shot a gun. Even all of Herschel's kids have fired a weapon but not Carol. Watch it be an in-joke of the writers to see how long they can have a character stay alive that never fired a shot.

beowulf579

[120]Feb 27, 2012
    18 Miles Out was an odd episode in that there were only a few of the main characters. All the characters that were not in the episode get's props for having a drama free day in the Georgia sun..lol.

The focus has to be on Rick and Shane. First..their fight was pretty dang good. I would have to give the edge to Shane because if he hadn't went after Randall at that one point and stayed focused on Rick...he would have won.
    As for the surviving in Zombieland...I have to say Rick did the best. Walkers coming out of the broken window and instead of running (like any of us probably would do) he kept his cool and used the dead Walker as camo. Let Shane run like a girl and direct all the Walkers away.
    Not to mention that it was Rick that kept his mind straight about killing Walkers with knives. Shane couldn't remember that 10 seconds after being told.
    Also...it was Rick that directed Shane to the back of the bus. With or without Rick there...that was a way out that seemed to elude Shane.

Overall...Shane and Rick are tied still in my book.
    Not really about survival but I sooo wish Maggie would have slapped the taste out of Andrea's mouth last night. Andrea might have meant well, but there were sooo many ways that could have ended badly.