The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCIn Season

Who is the Weakest Link from the Atlanta Survivors, Strongest? (2nd Season)

ionee24

[161]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 32

beowulf579 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I love Hershel, I love Carol too but chances are he'll die of old age or a drinking problem before she dies riding Daryl's motorcyle, its just the way it is.

This isn't a video game, the one with most guns not always wins and Hershel has a double strike against him IMO.

Hershel never displayed a drinking problem in the show...

For one, there's Nebraska and Better Angels - where Hershel himself told he was an alcoholic and the sofa the only place his wife allowed him to sleep after he came back from the local bar - then there's also the watch he sold to pay for more alcohol (his wife bought back) that he gave to Glenn on the episode Dale died, Maggie knowing exactly the place he went to drink the episode Beth tried to take her life, etc.

Anyone who actually watched this season knows that Hershel has a drinking problem.

ionee24's right..Herschel admitted to his drinking habit in the past. Now...how big of problem will it be for a man in the middle of a zombie apocalypse without any alcohol nearby...I dunno. Ok..Herschel is older and probably has as much of a chance of dying due to an age related cause as a zombie. But...take away the booze and send in the zombies....Herschel grabs a gun and takes them out. Take Daryl away from Carol and she runs and grabs a board.

I'm not saying the contrary, however, give Beth a sharp object and she would only kill herself that's the reason why she qualifies as weaker than Carol to me. Not to mention, Beth and Carl are the only children (Beth to a lesser extent than Carl obviously).

For example, I love Daryl too but the hooded stranger who saved Andrea is definitely 10 times stronger than him. Just look at those zombies!

Edited on 03/22/2012 3:02pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[162]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 13
    ionee24 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I love Hershel, I love Carol too but chances are he'll die of old age or a drinking problem before she dies riding Daryl's motorcyle, its just the way it is.

This isn't a video game, the one with most guns not always wins and Hershel has a double strike against him IMO.

Hershel never displayed a drinking problem in the show...

For one, there's Nebraska and Better Angels - where Hershel himself told he was an alcoholic and the sofa the only place his wife allowed him to sleep after he came back from the local bar - then there's also the watch he sold to pay for more alcohol (his wife bought back) that he gave to Glenn on the episode Dale died, Maggie knowing exactly the place he went to drink the episode Beth tried to take her life, etc.

Anyone who actually watched this season knows that Hershel has a drinking problem.

Uggh..No. Everything Hershel mentioned was in his PAST not his PRESENT. The conversations you mentioned were Hershel recounting a time in his life when he would be known to drink. Not current times. At no time prior to Shane opening the barn did we see Hershel take a drink or display any type of drinking problem. So no, Hershel did not have a drinking problem. You can't use that as a reason to say that Hershel was weak. Do you think Rick would have allowed Hershel to perform a delicate operation on his son if he felt that Hershel had a drinking problem???

beowulf579

[163]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 59
    Helostwin wrote:
    BEOWULF -- Several ppl on here said that the CHARACTER Beth is supposed to be 15 or 16. The fact that the actress portraying her is 24 doesn't matter at all. TV & movies use older actors to play younger characters all the time. The CHARACTER is supposed to be around 16.

Oh..I know she is suppose to be young. And unlike some 20 somethings playing teenagers...this girl looks like a ten still.

From what I can find, the character of Beth doesn't exist in the comics at all, so there is no age to get from that. Was her age specifically referenced in the show? I just can't recall.

beowulf579

[164]Mar 22, 2012

ionee24 wrote:
    I'm not saying the contrary, however, give Beth a sharp object and she would only kill herself that's the reason why she qualifies as weaker than Carol to me. Not to mention, Beth and Carl are the only children (Beth to a lesser extent than Carl obviously).

Perhaps she would. That's why I hope they keep Beth around for a bit. Not because she might kill herself but I would love to see if she could develop into a "Andrea 2.0" of sorts. Carl is young enough to be molded to suit the world they are in. The adults have a lot of life experience that won't make them as easy to change. But Beth being a teenager, she would be wanting to buck authority but also wanting to prove herself. I could see her trying to over reach her abilities to be like Andrea or even Michonne.

I mean, if you are looking at things from Beth's perspective...which woman would you want as your role model?
    Lori
    Carol
    Maggie
    Andrea
    Michonne

Andrea has already treated Beth in some ways as an "adult" and that probably means something to Beth. Maggie will always be her older sister and will probably look up to her. Though she could be jealous because of how close she is to Glenn. Beth would probably be in awe of Michonne (wouldn't we all?). Lori and Carol have very little to offer Beth. They are reminders of the way life used to be.

Helostwin

[165]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 17
    I don't recall it being specifically referenced on the show but several other ppl on here have said it ... so maybe.

ionee24

[166]Mar 22, 2012

beowulf579 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

For example, I love Daryl too but the hooded stranger who saved Andrea is definitely 10 times stronger than him. Just look at those zombies!

Perhaps she would. That's why I hope they keep Beth around for a bit. Not because she might kill herself but I would love to see if she could develop into a "Andrea 2.0" of sorts.

If anything, I believe Beth already looks up to Maggie too much in order to seek another role model - the birth control pills story notwithstanding - but the fact remains she's younger than Hershel, therefore I think the odds are in her favor now that she knows she can't kill herself without turning into a walker.

I do like the idea to have another kid around because the genre tends to rely too much on toddlers and cute children as it is, Carl could use a slightly older peer to look up to that it's not allowed in the adults's decision making process and has her own father to obey, like Beth has.

Edited on 03/22/2012 7:38pm

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[167]Mar 23, 2012
    Any survivor that has the ability to kill a Walker by whatever means should not be considered weak. The top spots for the weakest belongs to those survivors who have not and probably will never kill a Walker.

beowulf579

[168]Mar 23, 2012
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Any survivor that has the ability to kill a Walker by whatever means should not be considered weak. The top spots for the weakest belongs to those survivors who have not and probably will never kill a Walker.

Under those guidelines...Carol is the weakest of the weak. As far as we have seen on the show, she has never even shot a gun before. The closest Carol ever got to fighting a Walker was when she picked up a board in the last episode.
    At least Beth has shot a gun for target practice. That gives her a lead on Carol in my eyes.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[169]Mar 23, 2012
    beowulf579 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

Under those guidelines...Carol is the weakest of the weak. As far as we have seen on the show, she has never even shot a gun before. The closest Carol ever got to fighting a Walker was when she picked up a board in the last episode.
    At least Beth has shot a gun for target practice. That gives her a lead on Carol in my eyes.

Agreed! It is almost like saying if you were there, would you want someone that never killed a walker before standing by your side with 100 walkers surrounding you or would you like someone with many kills standing by your side?

That is why IMO it can't be said that Hershel is weak. He has blasted many Walkers out of existence and shot a human also when it came to having his life threatened.

capslocke

[170]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 1

The strongest link has to be Daryl. I'm convinced that he is the only one who could survive on their own, without the rest of the group. Daryl's got the shooting skills, the physical skills, and the all- out badassery that is so most completely necessary. It sure as hell isn't Rick. I lost hope in Rick when he couldn't shoot Dale. Daryl stepping in is just a great example of his awesomeness. Also, this guy was pretty much raised by Merle, he can handle ANY personality that he incounters along his way.

The weakest link is either Lori or Carol. Carol because of her lack of doing anything, and Lori because of just the opposite. Lori's skills this season have included getting pregnant, getting into a car accident and nearly eaten alive, letting Carl go wherever the hell he wants, and manipulating Rick into killing Shane (who I would have called my strongest link if he were still alive.).

ionee24

[171]Mar 23, 2012

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    beowulf579 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Perhaps she would. That's why I hope they keep Beth around for a bit. Not because she might kill herself but I would love to see if she could develop into a "Andrea 2.0" of sorts.

If anything, I believe Beth already looks up to Maggie too much in order to seek another role model - the birth control pills story notwithstanding - but the fact remains she's younger than Hershel, therefore I think the odds are in her favor now that she knows she can't kill herself without turning into a walker.

I do like the idea to have another kid around because the genre tends to rely too much on toddlers and cute children as it is, Carl could use a slightly older peer to look up to that it's not allowed in the adults's decision making process and has her own father to obey, like Beth has.

Hence why I think children like Beth and Carl belong on the weakest spot, once that Carl killed Shane it was only Beth on that spot.

The strongest link by that standard would be the hooded character with two zombies at the finale. Until he/she dies, Daryl Dixon would no longer be the strongest one in my eyes.

Edited on 03/23/2012 6:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.

OdumC

[172]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 8

capslocke wrote:

I lost hope in Rick when he couldn't shoot Dale.

Not to take away from the badassery that is Daryl, but I really don't think Rick wasn't going to do it, Daryl just stepped in, probably because he knows Rick JUST had to shoot Sophia and maybe he felt he owed him one or wanted to shoulder that kill himself, give Rick some recupe time. Just another example of Daryl's badassery though.

Edited on 03/24/2012 12:22pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ionee24

[173]Mar 24, 2012

OdumC wrote:
    Not to take away from the badassery that is Daryl, but I really don't think Rick wasn't going to do it, Daryl just stepped in, probably because he knows Rick JUST had to shoot Sophia and maybe he felt he owed him one or wanted to shoulder that kill himself, give Risk some recupe time. Just another example of Daryl's badassery though.

I just think he shot Dale because Rick shot Sophia. Like it or not, Daryl was attached to that little girl and her mother in ways he can't understand therefore he did Rick the favor to euthanizeDale because Rick himself had done him a favor back when he shot Sophia for them.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[174]Mar 26, 2012
    ionee24 wrote:

OdumC wrote:
    Not to take away from the badassery that is Daryl, but I really don't think Rick wasn't going to do it, Daryl just stepped in, probably because he knows Rick JUST had to shoot Sophia and maybe he felt he owed him one or wanted to shoulder that kill himself, give Risk some recupe time. Just another example of Daryl's badassery though.

I just think he shot Dale because Rick shot Sophia. Like it or not, Daryl was attached to that little girl and her mother in ways he can't understand therefore he did Rick the favor to euthanizeDale because Rick himself had done him a favor back when he shot Sophia for them.

Indeed!

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[175]Mar 26, 2012
    ionee24 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:
    beowulf579 wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Hence why I think children like Beth and Carl belong on the weakest spot, once that Carl killed Shane it was only Beth on that spot.

The strongest link by that standard would be the hooded character with two zombies at the finale. Until he/she dies, Daryl Dixon would no longer be the strongest one in my eyes.

It would be nice to see Michonne and Daryl team up in season 3.