The Walking Dead Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMCIn Season

You Know What Really Irks Me About This Show?

ionee24

[41]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 32

Scully82 wrote:

I think both Shane and Otis could have made it back to the bus, but they had Shane kill Otis to show that he'd finally cracked.I think they're trying to turn Shane into another villain for the series.

That would be too simple and this show is anything but simple.

I think Carl was more important to Shane than Otis was, unforturately his own life was also more important to Shane than Otis was, otherwise he would have sacrificed himself to make sure Otis would deliver the meds to the child.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[42]Nov 21, 2011
    • level: 13
    ionee24 wrote:

Scully82 wrote:

I think both Shane and Otis could have made it back to the bus, but they had Shane kill Otis to show that he'd finally cracked.I think they're trying to turn Shane into another villain for the series.

I think Carl was more important to Shane than Otis was, unforturately his own life was also more important to Shane than Otis was, otherwise he would have sacrificed himself to make sure Otis would deliver the meds to the child.

Too simple??? They barely both made it out the building and had zombies hot on their trail to the truck. The fact that they both split up to try to make it back to the truck and that zombie that grabbed Shane's hand when he tried to jump down from the window was complicated enough for me for both of them to have survived. Also, I don't think it was so much about Carl being more important to Shane. I think it was more about Shane wanting to survive. If it was so much about Carl being more important to Shane, he could have sacrificed himself instead of Otis and let Otis get back to his family with the needed supplies to save Carl.

Scully82

[44]Nov 21, 2011
    • level: 4

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Scully82 wrote:

Too simple??? They barely both made it out the building and had zombies hot on their trail to the truck. The fact that they both split up to try to make it back to the truck and that zombie that grabbed Shane's hand when he tried to jump down from the window was complicated enough for me for both of them to have survived. Also, I don't think it was so much about Carl being more important to Shane. I think it was more about Shane wanting to survive. If it was so much about Carl being more important to Shane, he could have sacrificed himself instead of Otis and let Otis get back to his family with the needed supplies to save Carl.

I think it was partially about saving Carl, but honestly, Shane's a total jerk. He really doesn't care about saving anyone but himself. Once the group discovers this, they'll realize he's a liability.

Ploop

[45]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 5
    Scully82 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Scully82 wrote:

I think it was partially about saving Carl, but honestly, Shane's a total jerk. He really doesn't care about saving anyone but himself. Once the group discovers this, they'll realize he's a liability.

Whether you agree or disagree about the whole Otis ordeal...you really can't say Shane is selfish! It seems he always needs to endanger himself for others. Making one 'bad decision' in a chaotic dangerous world which has no form of sense should not be such a stigma because he did more 'good' than bad (even rick screwed up and got group members killed rather than an extra). And the whole lori issue in season one...well its kinda her fault cuz she could have been a bit more tactical rather just disposing him like an old pair of shoes. He's the reason why she and her minion made it that far so he could have been treated with more respect.

OdumC

[46]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 8
    Ploop wrote:
    Scully82 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

Scully82 wrote:

Whether you agree or disagree about the whole Otis ordeal...you really can't say Shane is selfish! It seems he always needs to endanger himself for others. Making one 'bad decision' in a chaotic dangerous world which has no form of sense should not be such a stigma because he did more 'good' than bad (even rick screwed up and got group members killed rather than an extra). And the whole lori issue in season one...well its kinda her fault cuz she could have been a bit more tactical rather just disposing him like an old pair of shoes. He's the reason why she and her minion made it that far so he could have been treated with more respect.
    Except for the fact that he implicitly told Lori that Rick died... And the small speed bump of him NOT dying...then grabbed the guys family and headed for the hills. started nailing his wife and did everything short of adopt his son. this is after leaving his friend and partner injured unconscious and alone during a zombie outbreak.

Ploop

[47]Nov 22, 2011
    Have you even seen season 1? He went back to the hospital (when lori didn't btw) but he thought rick died. He even tried to protect the body by placing the bed in front of the room which in the end saved him. And there is no questioning lori? Her husband just 'died' and she moved on in lightning speed!

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[48]Nov 22, 2011
    Ploop wrote:
    Have you even seen season 1? He went back to the hospital (when lori didn't btw) but he thought rick died. He even tried to protect the body by placing the bed in front of the room which in the end saved him. And there is no questioning lori? Her husband just 'died' and she moved on in lightning speed!

I need to ask you the same question. Have you seen season 1? Shane is a police officer who is used to helping people on a daily basis. Rick is Shane's best friend. You gonna leave your best friend in a hospital when there is an outbreak of zombies brewing??? Then feel guilty about leaving him there defenseless so you place the bed in front of the room to give him temporary protection??? This is how you help your best friend???

Also, he told Lori that Rick was dead. He could have told Lori the truth that he left him in the hospital and it didn't look good. But he didn't because he knew that Lori would have went back for her husband risking her life. It makes you wonder if he didn't like Lori all the time. Face it, Shane is a bad person who is extremely self serving and would throw anyone to the wolves to save himself or get what he wants.

beowulf579

[49]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 59
    Scully82 wrote:

What you both are wrong on is that their getaway vehicle wasn't the bus. It was a truck and their is no evidence that the truck was near by at the moment of Otis's death.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[50]Nov 22, 2011
    beowulf579 wrote:
    Scully82 wrote:

What you both are wrong on is that their getaway vehicle wasn't the bus. It was a truck and their is no evidence that the truck was near by at the moment of Otis's death.

There was indeed evidence that the truck was near. When the zombies began to attack and eat Otis, the camera panned back towards Shane limping away towards the truck. The truck was in plain sight for about two seconds. The truck was only about 35 limps away. Also, I timed Otis' and Shane's fight. They fought on the floor for nearly 3 minutes. Those same three minutes was more than enough time for either one of them or both of them to make it to the truck alive.

OdumC

[51]Nov 22, 2011
    Ploop wrote:
    So you're saying the Cop... who is trained to check for signs of life, thought his best friend who had been in a coma for awhile and he'd visited a few times, just up and died.. now if it were MY best friend, I'd be more inclined to.. you know.. check for a pulse... or, look over at the machine he's hooked up to... watch him breathe... you know, anything. he KNEW Rick wasn't dead, pulled a wheeled gurney up against his door in a hallway and ran straight for the guys wife and hauled out with her. but only AFTER telling her Rick DIED?

Now I never said Lori was in the clear in the least, But this is about Shane being a total tool.

OdumC

[52]Nov 22, 2011
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    beowulf579 wrote:
    Scully82 wrote:

There was indeed evidence that the truck was near. When the zombies began to attack and eat Otis, the camera panned back towards Shane limping away towards the truck. The truck was in plain sight for about two seconds. The truck was only about 35 limps away. Also, I timed Otis' and Shane's fight. They fought on the floor for nearly 3 minutes. Those same three minutes was more than enough time for either one of them or both of them to make it to the truck alive.
    I think I mentioned the bus at one point because it seemed so perfect to jump IN the bus, zombies have issues with steps so their slowed getting on but they know dinner just ran in there so they're determined.. run straight to the back of the bus, hop out the emergency door, close it and keep running for the truck.

But I'll never understand why Plan "A" wasn't "one guy gets out and sneaks up to the area, second guy drives up in the truck honking the horn, flashing the lights, drives 50 feet up the road.. waits for them to follow.. drives another 50 feet, waits..Repeat as needed, letting the other guy sneak in and out no fuss no muss.

beowulf579

[53]Nov 22, 2011

:

Their is evidence that a truck is near...but I don't believe it was their truck. It appears they are near or at a parking area. That would explain why their was a bus nearby as well.

beowulf579

[54]Nov 22, 2011

:
    I think I mentioned the bus at one point because it seemed so perfect to jump IN the bus, zombies have issues with steps so their slowed getting on but they know dinner just ran in there so they're determined.. run straight to the back of the bus, hop out the emergency door, close it and keep running for the truck.
    Not only zombies but also Shane and Otis have issues with steps at that time. Also, what if the door is locked? Sure that would only waste a second or two...but still. Lastly I think back to the zombie flick Dawn of the Dead. One character was in a bus like vehicle and had planned on escaping out the back but their was a problem...the door wouldn't open. I'm not sure I would want to risk my life on a clever ploy that is 100% dependant on a door opening when I need it to and for shambling zombies to behave the way I think they should.

OdumC

[55]Nov 22, 2011

beowulf579 wrote:

:
    Not only zombies but also Shane and Otis have issues with steps at that time. Also, what if the door is locked? Sure that would only waste a second or two...but still. Lastly I think back to the zombie flick Dawn of the Dead. One character was in a bus like vehicle and had planned on escaping out the back but their was a problem...the door wouldn't open. I'm not sure I would want to risk my life on a clever ploy that is 100% dependant on a door opening when I need it to and for shambling zombies to behave the way I think they should.

I think I'd try it instead of shooting the guy that just saved my life.

Scully82

[56]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 4

Ploop wrote:

Shane was moving on pretty quickly as well. Why was he so determined to sleep with his recently dead best friend's wife?

Ploop

[57]Nov 23, 2011

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    beowulf579 wrote:
    Scully82 wrote:

Lol timing now? Can't we just accept that the writers intended this whole thing to happen because they needed a scene that will spark discussion between viewers (so they spread the word of TWD) and attract new ones. And that they didn't expect viewers to count steps and time escapes...but expected them to think 'ohh no shane can't walk, otis is fat and clumsy, there a sh*t load of zobies coming closer and the car is really REALLY far away. What will happen?!?! OHH he shot him... was it for bait so he could bring back the meds? Or was it something else?'.So the series would be a bit more interesting with this twist...Wink

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[58]Nov 24, 2011
    Ploop wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    beowulf579 wrote:
    Scully82 wrote:

Lol timing now? Can't we just accept that the writers intended this whole thing to happen because they needed a scene that will spark discussion between viewers (so they spread the word of TWD) and attract new ones. And that they didn't expect viewers to count steps and time escapes...but expected them to think 'ohh no shane can't walk, otis is fat and clumsy, there a sh*t load of zobies coming closer and the car is really REALLY far away. What will happen?!?! OHH he shot him... was it for bait so he could bring back the meds? Or was it something else?'.So the series would be a bit more interesting with this twist...Wink

The writers intent is not in question here. What is being questioned is the lame way it was portrayed.

Gera777

[59]Nov 24, 2011
    • level: 9

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    The writers intent is not in question here. What is being questioned is the lame way it was portrayed.

I believe that it is just the problems of the rough cut.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[60]Nov 25, 2011
    Gera777 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

I believe that it is just the problems of the rough cut.

Perhaps. But, it just makes you wonder if they sit down post production and critique the final cut.