The Walking Dead

I Ain't a Judas

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 24, 2013 on AMC

• Diplomatic Filler

5.5
    Following last week's attack Rick and the others get back inside the prison but their outer gates are now overrun with walkers. They devise a game-plan that if the Governor wants war he'll have it. Merle is welcome with open arms, which is to be expected. What's not expected is Herschel defending Merle being there since he has "military I'm sorry Herschel but isn't Merle the man who kidnapped and possibly raped your daughter for all you know, and beat a man that you think of as your son near to death? That guy would be useful? I'm sorry but that crosses all levels of plausibility in my mind and he would be the last one to throw in behind Merle's banner. Their whole Bible thing was really forced too, giving the old "you quote the Bible then I can tell you which part it's from because I'm religious" trope. Milton is now a spy for the Governor and reports that Andrea is trying to use him to go to the prison and talk to her former group. The Governor allows him to help and the two go out into the woods and do the Michonne thing with them (cutting off their arms and jaw as a cloaking device) and run into Tyrese and pals. Milton agrees to take Tyrese and the others to Woodbury while Andrea goes to the prison. Merle trying to apologize to Michonne for trying to kill her was one of the more amusing moments of the episode saying how he was just taking orders. Michonne asking, "Just like the Gestapo" and Merle's agreement spoke volumes. The Governor orders a directive for all men and women ages 13 and up to start training under his henchie Martinez to build an army lest Rick's group attack again. Seeing even the fourteen year old asthmatic kid being mobilized to fight show much the Governor has to lose and needs to squash Rick and his group for his pride and masculinity. Andrea gets into the prison and searched coldly for weapons by Rick and asked what she's doing there. When she says that she doesn't want to see bloodshed over their two groups they tell her of the Governor's attack on them last week that she had been told had been because Rick had opened fire first. Michonne confronts Andrea about leaving her out in the world alone while she stayed in Woodbury and how as a friend she had abandoned her when Merle had tracked her down to kill her which made a lot of sense for her to finally speak about loyalties. Watching out for snipers is smart and I don't know if there are in fact any out there but when Rick was looking at the beginning of the episode it looked like someone keeping tabs on them visually in the woods just before he saw them with the binoculars. Andrea finally learns about Shane's death and his trying to kill Rick and Laurie and T-Dog's passing. Andrea takes a car of theirs and heads back to Woodbury without much resolution but Rick does tell her sympathetically to take care of her so there has to be some trace of trust/empathy that they hold towards her. She returns to Woodbury and much like Carol's advice sleeps with the Governor. But in the dark when she holds a knife over him she can't do it. This fake-out tactic was so obviously a decoy since we're nowhere near a season finale and how the Governor is supposed to be the ultimate baddie in the comics so he wouldn't just be ghosted in the dead of night by some bland secondary character. I personally don't care at all for Andrea and devoting a whole episode to think I would care about her "who should I be loyal to?" thing is simply boring and time wasting. This was an all filler episode because we just ended up back where we were before with nobody dead just Andrea visiting the prison on a field trip and going back and not killing the Governor. What we did see was Rick's sanity being called into question and Carl urging him to step down for a while which I think he should take him up on. Despite the seeming total lack of forward momentum of the episode seeing Tyrese join Woodbury held some believability to think of Rick as a total basket case for the gun waving stunt he pulled. Unlike the past few episodes we get a rather bland mix of aftershock from the attack last week with little in the way of action happening.