The Walking Dead

Sunday 9:00 PM on AMC Premiered Oct 31, 2010 In Season

AJMeredith

The Walking Dead Fan Reviews (234)

• Worthless, overrated melodrama

0.0
    I was so excited about this when I first heard about it, but from the first episode, I have been disappointed. The first couple of episodes at least had some promise, but by the end of the first season, I didn't expect much anymore; yet it still managed to get worse.

At this point, the show is a slow, tedious, boring, insipid, melodramatic, soap-operatic, hot, steaming, pile of... garbage.

Nothing ever happens on this show, most of the episodes have at least two or three scenes of people just sitting or standing around staring at the ground or at each other or off into space thinking or feeling. It's one thing to spend a couple of seconds to convey that a character is struggling with emotions and despair and the like, but this stupid show spends 5-10 MINUTES doing this at least a couple of times per episode! In one episode, the show started with a five-minute long clip of Rick just driving down a long, empty road by himself, just staring off, with close-ups of his face for most of it. What the hell is that garbage? That is a useless waste of time. We don't need to waste five minutes of our lives to get that Rick has been through hardship. Idiots! In another episode, the show started with a five-minute clip of some new guy just walking around aimlessly, staring at the ground while some crappy music played in the background. Who cares There have been plenty of other similar wastes of time like when a bunch of people are sitting around and say two or three lines of dialog in a 10-minute scene, while the rest is just empty silence. Don't the show-makers understand that there is so much else on television and in life these days that viewers can't afford to waste time sitting around watching boring nothing happening? Garbage like this show may be entertainment in a zombie-apocalypse, but until then, we have countless better things to spend our limited, precious time on.

No, the action sequences are *not* interesting or exciting. I maintain that nothing ever happens on the show. Once in a while they may shoot a few guns or some garbage, but that doesn't mean anything.

Whenever someone does actually say something, it's usually some pathetic and infinitely redundant and repetitive expression of their grief and frustration. This show is not a zombie/horror show, it is a stupid soap-opera melodrama.

In addition, the way they go so far out of their way to avoid using the word "zombie" is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on television (including the likes of "Jersey Shore"). Why the hell do they do that? Do the show-makers think that gives the show an air of authenticity? If so, then they are reinforcing the proof of their ignorant ineptitude because if a zombie apocalypse were ever to break out in real-life, people would *immediately* start using the term zombie because that is *exactly what they friggin' are*. Nobody would make up stupid terms like "walkers"; well, nobody who doesn't want to try to sound "cool" but in reality is just being a loser douche-bag poser *trying* to sound cool. God help us if these idiots decide to make a vampire show; they characters would run (or more likely, very, slowly walk) around calling them "suckers". :roll:

The only thing worse than a crappy show is a crappy show that *thinks* it's good because then it has no plans of improving because it thinks there is no problem. All the idiots who rave about this as though it isn't garbage are only helping to ensure that it stays garbage.

• Really?

0.5
    Is it that we are trying to get ready for aliens that there are so many weird shows on now? Oh, I see, it comes from a comic...
  • Terrible Season Finale

With the exception of a handful of episodes I am so damn tired of the writers drawn out character transformation of Rick. After an entire season of wandering aimlessly struggling with manic depression somehow Rick miraculously transforms inside of 1 day back to the old "kick ass and take names" Rick of the past? What a waste of a season. The writers are obviously relying heavily upon their assumed ignorance of the fan base and our obvious inability to follow a more realistic story line. And what the hell is up with Mr. Mullet scientist? Really? would take him seriously any day.
  • In This Life Now, You Either Kill Or You Die, Or The Show Dies And It Kills

I remember how exciting it was during the first three seasons. By Season 4 it got very boring very quickly, more boring than doing a crossword puzzle. Even more boring than watching the clock tick slowly during a long sleepless night of chronic insomnia. It's like watching a completely different show. What started out as a successfully exciting saga of adventure, intrigue and action has turned into a painfully unbearable depression of sentimental dialogue and long walks in deserted parks. I tried putting up with 11 episodes, but by the 12th, I declare that I officially give up. I can no longer find the interest in pursuing the long-lost thrill of wanting to see who babbles & weeps next on the Boring Dead. My message to the writers of Season 4: you all took a potentially great show & you KILLED it! SLOWLY! VERY VERY SLOWLY!
  • Its just ridicilous

Its just ridicilous, its moving along like a snail for 7 episodes then everything changes for one episode. My bet is that it will move like a snail for another 7 eisodes starting in february, anybody see the repetetive pattern. Its just like Prison break, when they had half a season for breaking out, then failed, then used the other half to do the same again. This will probabloy end up like lost With no answers andno ending.
  • This show blows di**

Seriously it's been dragging on long enough like seriously shouldn't all the zombies be killed off by now, cuz of the fact that the cast is the only "so called humans N are away from the zombies, thus the zombies not having anything to feed on?? fu**in stupid and unbelievable.
  • From a lover of zombie flicks... it's terrible!!!

First up, I'll say that I'm a fan of the horror genre and specifically zombie movies in particular. The Walking Dead is SO bad! I've seen it all before. It's really soft, and really badly written. The main character is not likeable or believable as a law enforcement officer. And I'm talking about season 1 which is supposed to be the best. I only saw the first two episodes, because it was so bad. By reading a few other of these reviews it seems the show only goes downhill from Season 1. I'll pass!
  • It's SHIT

the walking dead is full of unlikable characters played by terrible actors speaking boring dialogue all raped up in a shity plot
  • Season 4 notes:

I LOVE all the original characters that were left at the end of Season 3! I was starting to worry, seeing that there aren't many people left in the group.

Thank heaven; they brought in a busload of new ones to serve as zombie feed in season 4!

• The Boring Crap

Season 1 was very good, season 2 still good enough, season 3 will be the last for me. They should rename the show in "The Boring Crap". Never before I saw a show started with such a furious first season and went down to such a boring crap after 2 and a half seasons.
  • DEAD AGAIN

When I heard this show was about zombies I didnt even bother to watch because there are so much movies about zombies already. The zombie topic is overated and done tooo many times. But i was still curious so I checked it out. I couldnt even stay awake for one episode. This show has too much hype and not enough exciment. Id rather watch that boring old movie I Am Legend again then this. This show is dead to me.
  • SOAP OPERA with Zombies - Lack of creative direction, a weak plot, and poor writing

This show started the first season with such promise. I read all of the comics and had high hopes for this series. It stinks though. This series is like the Dallas Cowboys - lots of potential, lots of fanfare, but complete failure where it counts. Change the coaches.. and.. darn - still no results. This stuff is more like some garbage you'd see on the Syfy channel. It is a SOAP OPERA with zombies and some occasional action to try and pretend it's Here's a typical episode from season 2 or 3 - this character talks with that character, then some other characters have a heart to heart.. kill a few zombies.. more dialogue.. blah blah blah.. poop. I guess this is a testament to how stupid our society has become. I've probably fast forwarded through the majority of season 2 and 3 on my DVR. When shows like this gain this high of ratings it just means there isn't anything better to watch and nobody has anything better to do. I'm done. This show sucks and is getting worse every episode. I'd rather read a book, the anti-TV! Looking forward to the next comic issue though.
  • WAY TO GO NEW DIRECTOR GUY!

Losing interest in the walking dead! the governor has had his right eye patched,so how is it that his left eye is mangled??!?!?!?
  • The Walking Dead

first of all that is the best wasting time and tv space I've ever seen. The script is written so cheaply I want my $10 back for renting this tv show. Now even if someone would pay me I m not gonna watch this show, it is a torture. First, why to cut the handcufffs when you cut your own hand hahah secondly, why to drive a tanks when you can drive a fucking green hunday, wtf? is this a fucking joke? and the funniest is to live in the tent ...it's nothing more to say, the movie is ***ed
  • absolute horrible show

this show is horrible, they are just trying to rip off shaun of the dead. it is completley unoriginal and my catfish can come up with a better series, wait a minute so can my sea cucumber. Dale deserved to die and Rick should also die! T-Dog is the only good character, all the other one are pointless, it may aswell be called Walking T-Dog. T-dog is the only character with relevance to his role. everyone else should be fed to the walkers and eaten as a midnight snack .
  • The Worst Gets Worse

People may read this and will say to me...then stop watching it!! I say to them, just as well, you can stop reading my post. Here, stop.

For the rest of you, I will start by saying that this show has potential. It WAS good, the first season did not end great, but it started out great. It had real zombie issues, real tangible problems I could envision myself going through if i were thrust into their position. Couple episodes later..what are we left with? We are left with idiotic characters and their manufactured problems, repetitive plot lines with progress at the speed of molasses, and worst of all, a zombie (oops, people show) show with not a sign of zombies. I'll address these points individually.

1) Idiotic characters and their manufactured drama: How stupid can these characters get? Each episode we see them getting into increasingly ridiculous situations that only a "lame-brain" would make. Half of season 2 was based on a stupid move made by a kid that probably deserved to be zombified. She had two decisions, stay, or run and keep the sun on her shoulder. She did neither, and we never find out why. Shane has been a loose canon that should have been tied down, since season 1 when he said they should put more cans up around their perimeter, when the zombies already breached their perimeter without any noise. That alone deserved a quick shovel to the head. Or, most recently, when Lori decided to take off and read the map and drive at the same time, to do something redundant. Great.

2) I guess this point is related to the idiotic characters, how they managed to drag out 6 episodes in the forest looking for sophia is beyond me. I feel stupid for having sat through all that expecting more.

3) For a show called the walking dead, the only ones I see go by the names Lori, Shane, and Rick. I'm not asking for a slaughterfest every episode, but ones which deal with external zombie issues every once in a while would be nice. Instead of dealing with 3-way love triangles and unwanted pregnancies all the time. That would be nice. Is this too much to ask?

This show had potential..and still does. If only the writers will make up their damn mind and stop manufacturing drama. This will only hold people so long until they realize this show is drivel.
  • Just dumb.

This is actually a pretty stupid show. First season was GREAT! But after that it went downhill really fast. Logic has no place in TWD it seems. Always on the search for food while 97% of the former population only eats human? All cars are suddenly broken? They drive around in a small city car? Just stupid. And they ought to portray wintered survivalists. For that they VERY often get sneaked up on by slow moving noise making 'walkers' . Oh, but on the other hand they are like the Flash. They can outrun a terrain car in an open field. Lots and lots of examples that defy logic are just incorporated into the show, in which nothing interesting happens anymore. A big letdown after a spectacular first season.
  • the stories are so boring

the stories are so boring
  • 43 minutes of my life I'll never get back

"Prey" was a really bad episode. Seems to have been written while sleeping or perhaps by a 10 year old. Run, chase, hide ... somehow the predator is just one step behind at all time. YAAAAWWWWWNNN. Been done a million times. The parts that developed the plot could have been added to the previous or next episode using under 5 minutes.
  • What would happen if slow moving, and slow, if at all, thinking zombies overrun the entire planet?

...well, apparently, surviving yet (still) unaffected humans would regress to the dark ages. Women would assume the roles meant for them in prehistoric times, washing, cooking, looking after the little ones, and men would reconnect with the hunter-gatherer within. The military, trained to handle any tough situation, would succumb to creatures with no skills whatsoever. The entire governments would fall down as if there are no code red protocols... The system as we know it is gone, and yet, our group of survivors sits by the fire telling stories.

If you're looking for a show with developed (or even developing) characters, that has something to say, that has any relevant social commentary to offer, I would suggest circumventing this show by a mile. But if you're looking for illogical zombie pass-time that looks good (cinematography the only thing worthy in this show) and is kind of dumb from time to time, well tune in for sure.

2/10 (for cinematography)
  • More science and back story please

The Walking Dead is getting quite tedious (dying on its feet). Same old, same old. I'd like to know more about what is happening in the wider world and the significance of the helicopter in s01e01. We've followed them for a few years now and there has been essentially no overriding story. Everyone carries a virus (?) that turns them into zombies when they die (if, that is, they're not torn to pieces). Why do the zombies not continue to decompose once deceased? What is their metabolism? Why don't they fall apart over time? I'd like the story to expand and for the characters show a greater inquisitive interest in their predicament.
  • Episode 12, slow

Episode 12 lacked a lot of forward to a more exciting episode.

John Bohan 86800773
  • very disappointed with the first 4 episodes .... the direction is bad .....very not professional

i don't know but the 1st 4 episodes i saw was terribly bad direction , i even didn't like the acting of actors.... very immature.....

but my friend told me to watch it after 6 episodes .... so i decided to buy the DVD lets see

now
  • where is the show going?

3.5
    I have watched every episode so far and I am starting to become seriously impatient with the show. I thought that the first season was by far the best for a variety of reasons. It's was simply brilliant in every conceivable way. It showed infinite promise. I looked at the second season as kind of a break. They found a place to stay and things were rather static and, let's face it, rather boring for most of the season. It picked up at the end and looked promising for season 3. As far as I am concerned season 3 is a total mess. There is nothing new or interesting that has been introduced. There is no sense whatsoever that the show is getting anywhere! The original concept that zombies were animated because of a virus that was causing part of the primitive brain to become active was a brilliant concept. It provided some credibility to the whole concept. Unfortunately several new concepts were introduced afterwards that were not based on that original concept. For instance when they mentioned that zombies needed to feed in order to sustain themselves. That's utter stupidity. A far better explanation that would explain where the zombies found the energy to continue moving about should have been something like the virus greatly reduces the rate of putrefaction in the zombies thus allowing them to survive for an extended period of time. Whoever decided to deviate from the pseudo scientific premise in the first season (which was brilliant) should be locked into a small 4 X 4 room and somebody should swallow the key to make sure that he never comes out of there. Finally the show needs to start getting somewhere. They need to have an overall goal that they should strive toward. Perhaps they should find something that, if done, might give the world a fighting chance. Right now they are just surviving and I find what's happening right now utterly boring.
  • A show that once showed promise

3.5
    I'll be honest with you all. I was quite excited when I first heard that this comic book was going to be made into a televison series, but now, I'm thinking that this might not have been the greatest idea ever. Don't get me wrong, the cast is very good, but the plotline is soooo boring that i fell asleep once, while watching it. (They took five episodes to find a kid who was lost in the woods, and in the end, she was turned into a zombie! Where's the point in that?).

I mean, I did not expect this series to be like Resident Evil (either being the videogames or the movies), but I was expecting to see at least one good human vs. zombie fight once in a while. The series focuses on things that don't matter to anyone. It's too much drama for a zombie series (if I wanted drama, I would watch "Desperate Housewives" or maybe "Downtown Abbey"). Most people want to watch a series where you get to see someone killing zombies, in order to survive, not discuss what's right and what's wrong all the time.

It started good, but if they don't take out a rabbit out of the hat, I'm not giving this series a second chance (it will probably be cancelled after season 3, if they ever get there). 3.5 is unfortunately the ratring that I'm going to give it, because it doesn't deserve more than that.

• Terrible Finale

what about Beth, And Carol and doesn't ask about Judith first thing and Maggie doesn't ask about Beth fist ... I think we may be looking at a Hero's type future.
  • overboard

One Rick should know better then to trust the gov.. two, was disappointed with the sex scene with kids watching this show, they went overboard with it. 3, disappointed there already only 3 shows left of the season, it just started, good grief. i do love the show though. Never miss it...
  • How to mix terrible writing with captivating characters: a TV conundrum

I don't even know where to begin with this series. I watched the complete first and seconds seasons back to back over the course of a few days... and while I'm strangely addicted, and the character interactions are certainly interesting, this has to be the worst show I've ever seen in terms of effort and consistency. The creative team clearly do not pay attention to their own body of work; they structure convoluted scenarios which hinge upon a very specific, very detailed problem and that problem has so many holes in its foundation, it might as well be a tissue-thin slice of Swiss cheese. From their protagonists successfully hiding under cars (even though we've already established that zombies can smell living flesh in an entire episode devoted to this discovery) to deciding that the humane way to handle their infected colleague is not to kill him but to respect his request to be left on the side of the road (which, incidentally, means he will "change" and kill countless innocent people, thus continuing the spread of the illness and contribute to the end of all life on earth) simply because they don't want to kill an innocent man (but have no problem being accomplices to the slaughter of billions)... the biggest guffaw of all was the second season finale, in which the red truck carrying but a few or the survivors runs out of gas, so they all camp out in the street because they "can't all fit in one car" and must walk for gas in the morning. Well, of the two remaining (working) vehicles, one is an SUV; a Hyundai Tuscon. Yeah. A Tuscon. Not a Mini. If you're really so desperate to escape zombie hell, and you were just attacked by hundreds of them a few miles away -- do the math. Pile in. Two up front, three in back, with child on mother's lap, and the two smallest women in the trunk, which is designed for a bit of cargo. The remaining two survivors take the motorcycle, which we've already seen carrying two passengers quite frequently. So, you'll be a little cramped until you reach the next town and find another abandoned car to steal, of which we just saw thousands five minutes earlier, strewn about the highway. Suck it up. Better to squish for an hour than become a zombie buffet. Given the stakes, I'd be happy to ride on the roof. Oh, but that doesn't make for an interesting story conflict, does it? Try harder! These writers seem to be hoping for an audience that doesn't ask questions; that we don't have more brain capacity that the zombies they have schlepping around the forest. They play it off as if their critics are nit-pickers... but hey, when the entire concept of your series hinges on surviving the end of the human race, these strange pauses to eulogize a random zombie and read his donor card while a herd of brain-eating monsters are literally breaking through the already-cracking vestibule of the department store you're trapped in... yeah... guess what? A little tough to swallow. Maybe eulogize a different zombie when you can afford to take a dramatic beat. How about the police officer who decides that it's a good idea to let a band of survivors camp at the very edge of a forest, without any kind of lookout or warning like cans on a string? Really? The edge of a forest? A dark tree line seemed like a safe haven for children in tents when you might be the last handful of survivors and the rest of the world is coming to eat you? Who's that stupid? How are you surprised that they snuck up on you? Keep a proper series bible and keep track of your story. Establishing that zombies can smell human flesh in the beginning of the series, only to have your main characters hide behind a tree two feet away, is akin to saying that vampires will die if exposed to sunlight and then having them tan on a beach in Cabo two episodes later. These are the worst kind of writers, who write themselves into a corner and then hope to God we don't remember the last 45 minutes we saw last week. Or in my case, as long as it took to play the next episode. Food for thought. Pun intended.
  • The second season is a complete let down. It might kill the show with how many people have been saying they won't watch anymore.

So far there's no excitement. The Otis thing was cool but it was only a few minutes out of the entire season. Now we get to deal baby mama drama, the asian dude awkwardly looking his virginity and the older lady constantly crying because her kids been missing the entire season. What happened to the zombies? Did they all go on strike or something or possible join the occupy wall street protests. And now they're gonna spin it like the racist one handed brothers gonna be the scariest thing in the show. Good luck reloading there capt. hook. And why are guns forbidden on the ranch. Is that dude and idiot. That dudes gonna get his whole family killed with that thinking.

• From bad to worse...

"If I gave a rating to each season, 1 would be a 8/10, season 2 would be 5/10 (only reason it gets that good of score is because of the events that transpire during the last two episodes), season 3 would be 4/10 "

I had to agree perfectly (but S2 would be 4/10 and S3 5/10), and this is a very sad thing because this was one of my favourites with The Wire, The Shield andf Breaking Bad...
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8