The Walking Dead

Save the Last One

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 30, 2011 on AMC

• Shane Gotta Pay

Episode was about a daring escape from the high school with the medical supplies. Things started getting bad and Shane had to make a decision in my book a pretty cold one if I may add. Shane makes it back with the supplies and what a shock Otis is not there, that's when I knew this the truth. With the supplies they manage to save the boy and he's stable. Lori ask Shane to stay and this guy is getting more and more to the dark side, in my book its like having one of the dead in your group destroying from within. Oh, yea still looking for the girl . WHY DON'T ANYONE HAVE MACHINE GUNS!!!!
  • Antihero

Now THAT was an episode! I'm bored to tears of Carl's surgery and Sophia being lost, but Carl's loss of humanity is really great character development. I've disliked him from the beginning, but there is something to be said about the person you love to hate. I get the feeling he won't be sticking around for very much longer, but I'm looking forward to what he does before he goes. Whew!
  • The group splits up, for a while

Some things I didn't like, yeah, some things I selected with my fork and pushed them far to the side of my TV plate. For instance, the doc being a vet, some lack of attention on Glenn (why didn't he want to go, again? I also didn't totally get the last time with that girl whose name I can't recall), and I couldn't hear most of the story about Shane. THE WALKERS WERE DISTRACTING.

That said, I think there was some good staging, some good planning, on the producers/directors/whatevers' part. I knew Darryl and Andrea would get along. I like him more and more. I actually like that they haven't found Sophie yet, it's more realistic. Dealing with last season's finale's philosophical burden was great, I still can't get that out of my head. Is it because you are on a binge and just watched it a few hours ago? No brain, please shut up. Also, Shane--I suppose there's got to be that kind of a guy, hasn't there? The walkers are, in their own sweet way, just grisly obstacles for our pack. I'm hoping he does split up from the group now. I've really been trying to see from his point of view, but that sequence where he shot Otis in the knee, then had to commit by struggling, slashing at his face, shooting him again... It was chilling. I would never have guessed why he was shaving his head in the beginning.

A few final notes: Find Sophie! Next episode is a good time! Or find her? Hmm. Also, I really hope T-Dog doesn't die but I've got THAT FEELING about him. I also got THAT FEELING for Dale this episode, and I'm glad I was wrong and he didn't go into the woods after Andrea and Darryl. And finally, can someone openly and out loud acknowledge Murryl (or whatever) just decided to drive past them and screw them all? That's not gonna happen, but I started my binge about 48 hours ago and I hold a grudge for up to 106.

That's all folks.
  • Save Shane

Shane wouldn't just shoot a man and leave him to be eaten. They had time to get away, both of them. Don't let Shane become a bigger asshole than he already is...

I liked Darryl and Andrea in the woods. I think they got a connection. But let them find Sophie already, it's getting boring. Even though I fell from my seat a couple of times, damn those things can be scary. :p

• 2x03 - Save the Last One

I was yawning through this episode and really arching my eyebrows at Shane. But yay on zombies attacking again.
  • Show is relying too much the "Suspense Factor" so much so that episodes feel like they're being written around the chance to be suspense-ful rather than a good story.

Sorry to disagree with everyone here but the episode was boring.

Seriously think about it - How many of you knew this was going to be how the episode ended while watching the last episode?

How many of you knew that something was always be going to be around the corner for about the happen?

And thats just the thing - This is season 2. Expectations are higher now considering that we didnt have any for season 1. But now that we're in season 2, things are different.

How much more "Oh shit a zombie I didnt see" moments are we going to have?

There is just too much reliance on suspense, the show is starting to get boring.

• Prison break, but with zombies.

4.5

Prison break, I'm sure some of you remember, did everything in their power to create drama. Every little action the prisoners took was bombarded by useless stuff just to make it more dramatic. This show is the same. Along the lines with what deepsecret said(another reviewer) how many "ahh a zombie i didnt see" moments. Plus these reviews are getting ridiculous, 9out of 10 of you just state what happened in the episode word for word. Spoilers ahead, just one though. Im not good with names, but the guy who was with otis at the end. We are supposed to believe that that guy killed otis? Tewnty seconds before we see this guy kill otis, he is on the ground saying i cant make it, go on without me ill hold them back. Now why would he do that and suddenly decide to kill otis. Writers wanted to add more drama.

The show is still incessant on trying to be Lost, trying to have these philosophical choices, but the only difference (other than that show's writing being vastly superior) is that it was not always predictable. We knew exactly what was going to happen tonight, but I do applaud the show for at least showing some signs of villainous behavior as they could benefit from someone being bad, other than the zombies, someone almost being Sawyer-like, to continue the comparisons.

The stuff with the kid though was really dull. Not needed, not entertaining.

• Slowest and weakest episode of Season 2 so far but it's still great

The Greene Family and the Grimes family wait for Otis and Shane to return with the medical supplies for Carl. Meanwhile, Shane and Otis find themselves trapped in a school with hungry walkers waiting to eat them. Finally, Daryl and Andrea continue the hunt for Sophia. I thought that this was a great episode of "The Walking Dead". Okay, if you users were complaining that last week's episode was slow. Try watching this episode, now I have to admit that this episode was slow. It is a great episode and that's why it got a great score but my score is low because this episode was very slow and pretty boring in some part. At least this episode isn't as slow or boring as the Season 4 Premiere of "Breaking Bad". Now that was super slow and boring episode. Not to compare "TheWalking Dead" to "Breaking Bad" since I love to watch "Breaking Bad". Anyways, the storyline to this episode was pretty good. The zombie scenes are (of course) the most entertaining parts of this episode. The last 5 minutes with Shane flashback to what happened to Otis and the zombies eating him was also very good and it looks like Shane shaved his head since he looked like he felt bad leaving Otis behind or he just did it because he is angry at him for shooting his son. Overall, I hope next week's episode is better but I still liked this episode. 8/10

• Poor Otis!

i had no idea that Shane would leave Otis behind, much less shoot him to get away. The poor fellow was just trying to make up for shooting the kid. Then again Shane had to get the medical supplies back before it was toolate, so was there any other way? are they grooming Shane to be the new bad guy?

• Better than last week's, a step in the right direction.

Last week, I complained that the show used the episode as a filler between the premiere and the next plot point. Normally, I'll accept filler episodes, knowing full well that every show has them and somewhat needs them, but boy, last week's episode sure was slow. Just because we need bridge episodes doesn't mean they have to be boring.

This week is much better. It resolves the fate of Carl and Shane and Otis in one fell swoop while keeping the intensity and character development going at the same time. I felt like for every good scene last week, we had two that dragged their feet and left us craving the next zombie attack. This week, we get plenty of action in the form of Shane and Otis being stuck in the school. To be honest, I actually felt like the action scenes were a little lamer than normal. I've been able to turn my head the other way in terms of how the zombies operate... do they walk or run? Can they smell and hear good? Today, it seemed like the writers set it up so that Shane and Otis would run into zombies at exactly the wrong moments. For the first time in awhile, it felt contrived. Usually, theappearancesof the zombies felt real and organic. Here, it felt like, "Oh, we haven't had a zombie death in awhile... let's throw one in!"

I was much more interested in the characters in this episode. Daryl and Andrea had a nice little talk while strolling through the forest, looking for Sophia, and Dale and Andrea have seemingly begun to wrap up their little disagreement about her life being saved. As for Glenn, he actually got some lines here and the relationship between him and Rachel began to blossom a little bit. I think the show has had trouble this season in the writing department, not knowing how to balance stuff out or write realistically for people. However, things are getting better now.

And Shane... man, the twist with him was a little out of left field but believable enough, and it also gives the character some more stuff to do. The scene where he shoots Otis in the leg and leaves him there to be eaten by zombies is one of the more brutal things the show has done. I hope they carry this thing out more than just a few episodes. It's a dark turn for Shane and could potentially create some great storylines out of it.

With Carl fixed, the show needs to take care of the Sophia issue. It's taking forever for them to find her and it's wasting time. Let's hope next week's episode can fix this.

• Great episode! (no spoilers ahead)

The Walking Dead is one of the best shows on TV at the moment - I dont understand why it hasn't got a higher rating on here!

I enjoyed this episode and I thought there was some really good acting from the guy who plays Shane.

• Save The Last One

Save The Last One was a great episode of The Walking Dead and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had some great zombie action scenes, character and plot development, and some dark decisions. Some of these characters are crazy going out in the woods at night and stuff, though I guess it would be nice to have those kind of people in tough situations. I couldn't believe the choice Shane made, it was dark and will affect him greatly. I look forward to watching more!!!!!

• Saving the last indeed!!!

This episode of the show had amazing character development and great twists.

First, Daryl. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters, and provides a nice comic relief with his sarcasm and wit. Last season he seemed slightly one-note, now he is nearly endearing and someone I would want on my side in the zombie apocalypse.

Second, Lori. I completely understood where she was coming from. I was glad that she decided to do everything to save her son, but I can understand that she wouldn't want him growing up in such a wretched world, which leads to...

Rick. I love that he talked about the hope and beauty (the deer being the symbolism for these) and how his son sees this. I think it represents what we all need to see in a horrible time in the world, and it seemed to resonate with Lori.

Finally, Shane. Who could have imagined that the cheating, near rapist would murder someone to save his own skin? Honestly, no matter how much I have liked and disliked Shane, I never really thought him capable. I look forward to seeing how this plays out, how the death of Otis effects him, and how he changes and tries to make amends.

I'm glad it looks like Carl will make it, but am hoping Sophia does too, I really like to see the dynmaic of a harsh world with the kids there. I think it tells a good story. I hope her being missing isn't drawn out too long.

• Exciting format, boring dialogs, questionable acting, John Bernthal on fire, disturbing Shane, dumb behavior, unbalanced production, Glenn bless you (Spoiler free)

The ending at the beginning. It's a formula that often makes a story more exciting. This time it was mostly about Shane and I liked how his dangerous and action-driven quest in the night was mirrored by the more psychological and emotional arc featuring Rick and the others. However I thought his dialogs with Lori would never end as they seemed rehashed. Moreover I'm not really convinced by Andrew Lincoln and Sarah Wayne Callies as leads. Their couple lacks the chemistry required to make us really care for them. It's not the first time I point out the issue but this time it was magnified by Jon Bernthal impressive skills. Shane just had a new layer to his wicked persona and after almost shooting his best friend in the woods I was really wondering what the writers would come up with. They didn't disappoint and his arc was almost shocking. As for his sidekick I wonder how it's possible to be fat in a world infested by walkers.

For once Deryl and his gang disappointed me. Their dumb behavior didn't make sense and was reminiscent of scream or bad horror movies. Moreover it wasn't scary and overall felt like an awkward way to feature them when the episode should have only focused on Carl. As for the production I didn't like the night scenes visual because it wasn't as polished as the sequences shot in the house. They could have used a better or creative lighting and probably some post processing. The image was just too cold and lacked the immersion factor the show is known for. Applying a film grain overlay and twisting the editing would have made things way more entertaining. Hopefully more Glenn couldn't be more welcome because to tell the truth I have missed him since Guts. He's such an under exploited character ! His obvious connection with the girl could also lead to some empathic romance and intense moments.

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.

• Carl's life hangs in the balance as Shane tries to retrieve the much needed medical supplies. Daryl and Andrea search for Sophia as time runs out to find her.

* spoilers ahead *

With the gang fragmented between the freeway, the farm house and the school we suffer another long and drawn out chapter.

With Season 1 still fresh in my mind i'm finding it hard to get into the slower pace of season 2.

The scenes with Shane in the school were exciting, particularly the final flash-back scenes, Shane's mirror image, distorted and unclear, is a message to us that he is beginning to cross the moral line.

No one could argue that what Shane did was wrong, but it also saved two lives, Shanes and Carls, so it's unclear whether Shane is losing the plot or if he's just adapting to the rules of this new world.

The missing Sophia arc, while giving characters like Daryl a chance to shine, is boring. It's day 3 and they still haven't found her, i think it's time to move on.

Here's hoping the pace picks up soon.

• In a World Like This (Spoilers Ahead)

What a supremely awesome episode that gave us a lot to chew on this week (pun somewhat intended). Shane and Otis were trapped in the school being chased by zombies in what is the to date this series most intense episode long zombie sequence. While Rick and Laurie wait for Shane's return they ponder the futility of existence in this world and maybe putting Carl out of his misery so that he can be at peace, an understandably realistic conversation given the immediate circumstances. Daryl and Andrea go out for a midnight walk to look for Sophia should be be around and find an interesting zombie who hung itself after having been bitten and its legs chewed off (so pleasant). The opening of Shane shaving his head made me wonder the overall tone of the episode when it started as it was either a starting point later in the end of the episode or he managed to take refuge in a bathroom in the high school and by happenstance decided to shave all of his hair off because he's a badass or something. Herschel tells them that if Shane and Otis don't return with the respirator soon Carl will slip away or the procedure will have to done which has a very unlikely chance of working. T-Dog-I'm-going-to-disrespect-the-name-parents-really-gave-me-by-replacing-it-with-something-stupid and Glen reach the farmhouse and the antibiotics saved his life from the gash thanks to Merle (never thought I'd say that). Glen ponders God and his existence while checking out Maggie, Herschel's daughter and having deep existential conversations. Otis and Shane struggle to get out but when it is most dire Shane makes a choice since he sprained his ankle he apologizes and shoots Otis in the kneecap and they brawl until Shane breaks away and Otis is engulfed by the walkers while Shane makes his way back to the truck. I knew something was amiss when they went straight to Shane coming back alone from the place but I figured it was because Otis shot Carl but I felt that Otis sort of redeemed himself for that enough to deserve not to be food this week. The moment of decision is for us to decide, but whether it was for Carl's life and anger that he shot Otis, or just because he needed the time to get away more than he needed Otis's last bullet we'll never know. The moment was well executed and it gave Shane a dose of mystique especially since his character gets the most shifts back and forth from sympathetic to stone cold killer. But what really irks me is if I wouldn't have done the exact same thing, I mean he did save Carl's life. Morally speaking he did save a life and given the state of the world all that he wants is to be back in Laurie's good graces, but the cost was a huge part of his humanity. When Shane is backed into a corner he always will chooses his pack over anyone else, and that makes him way more dangerous than I thought he would end up to be. But this is by far the best episode of Season 2 so far and we're only getting started. This show has really found its grounding and now that it has the full season span that it didn't before it has the opportunity to tell us its story all that more fully .

• I beat youdidn'tsee that coming!

This episode was perfect on so many levels.

The episode showed that there not the comic book. The writers can use this to make the characters do things that the comic book readers, like myself, dont expect.

The episode continues where it left off with Carl still in bad shape from being shot. In this part of the episode we see Lori giving hope on Carl's life and considering if they should just let him die. Rick refuses to give up on Carl's life.

The second part of the episode, we see Shane and Otis still trapped in the school. There is not much to say about this part except how it ends, but ill stop there because that is the best part of the episode and you will hate me if you read it.

To conclude, ihaven'tbeen doing reviews for long, but this is the second time i have given a perfect score ( the first was the season 4 finale of Breaking Bad), and it was because of the unexpected ending.

• But do I hate him?

I said once before that Shane had to do something really bad to be "villain" again for me. I'm not sure if he did that or not. But let's get to the other parts first.

Rick and Lori had some nice scenes this episode but were not always so up front like last ep. This is good. This isn't the Rick and Lori story for me as much as it is the story of the group.

We got to see Glenn get a bit more action this time and had a wonderful discussion on God. Andrea and Daryl went out looking for Sophia. Glad someone didn't forget about her.

Of course Shane and Otis was the main focus. Wow...Otis impressed me. I thought he wouldn't make it very far at all. I still can't figure out how a man that size stays that size 6 months after the zombie apocalypse began.

They fought..they ran...they hobbled about and finally a choice had to be made. Shane made it and because of it, Carl survived. I'm not sure if that makes Shane evil to me. The way the final scene plays out wants to lead someone into that direction...but I don't feel it. If it was just to save his neck..then yes. But Carl was at risk.

I want Sophia found one way or another next episode.