The Walking Dead

Secrets

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 20, 2011 on AMC

7.9
  • In a fictional world of endless possible story lines and plot twists, predictable and political instead. If you missed this one you didn't miss anything zombie related.

With the wealth of potential story lines available this was disappointing to see so early on ... in the vernacular I believe this is what is known as "jumping the shark."

Another episode on the farm listening to them whine and snivel about the unfairness and injustice of it all *yawn,* Rick Grimes shows he's a proud cuckold in a fancy new skirt and not one but two Hollywood kook left talking points made.

First the absurdity of anyone in a situation like this objecting to guns or learning how to defend themselves with one should be apparent to anyone and the over the top hyper-sexual response from Andrea's after her first zombie shoot is about as cliche as it gets. Now the idea of the original farm members never having had to put down a walker jut looks dumb.

Not content with getting in the - psycho sexual cliche about gun owners the writers feel to pile on with the pro-abortion it's her choice commentary. Guess the pro-gay, pro-union and anti-conservative/Republican episodes won't be far behind in this now meandering mess - can't wait to see how they get in a dig at Sarah Palin...

Oh wait, yes I can. Get ready to stick a fork in this series it's almost done as the writers have already clearly lost their way and probably deviated to far from the essentials to recover.

5.5

This show just starts to get more painful to watch by the week. Not good painful like an awkward episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but bad painful like why am I watching this over Sunday Night Football?

The acting is atrocious here, and usually you don't notice it because of the concept of the show, but it was really on display tonight as they had the emotional "learning" how to shoota weapon scene, and then of course the revelation of the baby and the affair. Let's just say this is one AMC drama that won't have any actors get nominated during Emmy season.

Just a dull episode, especially considering it was the penultimate offering.

• 2x08 - Secrets

OMG, this episode was so boring. The only thing which rescued it from a lower rating from me was the ending.
  • Turning into a Soap Opera

I just don't know what to say they were some good moments mainly the ending. Thought Rick not knowing the truth was waited to long thought that should have been season 1 and moved on to bigger things. Shane is a true killer in the making hell I even saw it in the first episode he just had the vibe that he was no good and would be trouble and also knew he wasn't a true friend. I don't know about anyone else but Rick wasn't out that long for Lori to act out like that, obviously for loving Rick was a question before Shane came into the picture. Rick has to stop being so gullible and start painting the canvas to get a good idea about whats going on around him. The most stupidest thing in this show I think is the Sophia arc, it is poorly written and even after 3 episodes back than trying to find her I thought was way too much. Now were pretty good into season 2 and still not even good leads, the characters don't really seem to care that much anyhow except Rick. I have no idea what the writers are thinking either she shows up like the dead zombies or dead or found either one would be good, but the writers basically made not care anymore which was quite dramatic in episode 1. But wasting energy on something the viewers know that nothing will happen but some zombie target practice and wild sex. It's sad their using Sophia like this.
  • They actually added a little more zombies and suspense just like I want but this show still has the stupid drama between the characters that I honestly don't care about

Revelations begin to come out among the members of the group. Shane teaches Andrea how to fire a weapon but the desire to put the past behind him and focus on survival eats at him. Glenn wrestles with keeping his secret about the barn Walkers from the group. Lori confides in Dale about her pregnancy. With the season ending next Sunday or this Sunday. I already have the season finale in my DVR but I'll have to watch it tomorrow MAYBE depending if I'm in the mood to be bored and disappointed. This episode was good and they actually added more zombies and a little more suspense towards the end of the episode which I liked. I still hate watching the stupid drama between the characters since I don't care about that at all. This is suppose to be a horror/suspense show, NOT a drama show. The very ending with the whole pregnancy was painful to watch as well since again... the character's constant drama bores me. The season is ending and I honestly say that this whole season has been a complete disappointment and it's painful to watch. I don't even think I want to Season 3 next year because I'm worried that it will be the same as boring ol' Season 2 with less zombies and more stupid and boring drama. Overall, a good episode of "The Walking Dead" but the stupid drama with the characters lowered my score. 7/10

• Okay, something is coming, or this show has jumped the sharks. Either way, its big.

I'll admit to having read some reviews before posting this.

Now, in the last couple of weeks, we've all seen the show steadily go from bore to boring. Geez, seriously, does the hype and drama get anyone anymore?

I mean, even I said it.

But here's the thing. This episode was different. Yes, it was boring, but if you look closely, there might be a possible hint that something is coming.

Something really jaw-dropping-we-didn't-see-it-coming, or something really ass dumb. Either way, somethings about to go down.

Here's why:

1) Sophia's been gone too long
    We're all getting to comfortable to the point we're not blown away by the show. Maybe this is intentional to really rattle our cages later when the shebang comes.

2) Zombies in a church
    Follow me on this - Remember how on the first eps there were zombies sitting in church? If they were dead, how did they know they were in a church, and should sit down ? Are zombies showing intelligence?

3) Zombies are mutating
    Walker in a well developing gills? Are they mutating/evolving?

Like I said, something is coming. Judging from current pace of show, it will either make or break this show. Lets see.

• Morning After

Just leave her already. Lory's getting off so, so, so easy. I'm worried that Dale's time is coming, that he'll either be Shane's next victim or the walkers will get him. I'm getting the feeling either Maggie will join the group or Glenn will stay behind. Slow episode overall.
  • This time better than last two episodes

In this episode there was a lot of interaction between characters and it was not about banalities. Some secrets from recent past were revealed. First Rick found out about affair between Shane and his wife, Dale confronted Shane that he saw him pointing a gun at Rick and he knew what happened with Otis, even though I do not know how he can be sure about this matter.

Herschel feeds the walkers in the barn with chicken and I considered if walkers have to eat, because they cannot die, they are already dead. Maybe Hershel and his family think they will feel better eating some live meat. The crisis with walkers could be contained better if it was possible to starve the walkers out.

Searching for Sofia seems to be not the highest priority, because there was time for Glenn to go twice to the town to get condoms and other stuff. They do not use all forces to it, but the more time it lasts, the lesser the probability that she is alive.

I do not understand why Glenn and Dale should know about Loris pregnancy and she does not tell her husband. He has the right to decide and also take responsibility for potential abortion. It is strange that he knew about her affair with Shane but there was not any signal when he realised it.

Shane and Andrea got intimate as could be expected. And Dale confronted Shane with his recent bad acts. What does he want to gain from this discussion, it is apparant that Shane becomes his dangerous enemy.

When I compare this episode with the best episodes in season 1, which would get the 10/10, this episode is by two points worse.

• Sophia....Sophia who?

The most earthshattering thing about this episode is how they pretty much abandoned the Sophia arc.

Carol let Lori sleep, a woman who as far as Carol knows is perfectly healthy enough to go searching for Sophia. After all, Lori and company went searching once for her.

The whole cast and crew are off practicing with their weapons. Ok, that makes some sense but does everyone have to be doing it at the same time? Couldn't they send out two or three to go looking a bit?

Lori sends two of the most adaptive characters, which includes Maggie that was actually raised in the area to go after...not Sophia...but pills to abort her pregnancy.

Touching on Glenn and Maggie....thank goodness they didn't decide to get it on this time. I hope though that the experience might shake Maggie enough to realize just how dangerous Walkers are.

Shane and Andrea...it makes sense in a way. Andrea seems to like the dangerous side of things right now and Shane is def the way to go. I liked Dale talking to Shane, but Shane is near nuts Dale. If he is willing to point a gun at Rick...he def won't have a problem pointing it at you.

The biggest lead balloon revelation came from Lori. In that Rick already knew she and Shane has gotten together.

Overall, I liked the episode but I agree with others that they just don't seem all focused on staying alive or finding Sophia effectively. Carl was a highpoint in that you can see some major developing in his future.

• Secrets

Secrets was a superb episode of The Walking Dead and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had a lot of spectacular in your face real character development. Many secrets were revealed and it was fun and very entertaining to watch the different characters interact with each other. The story was well written and played out great, though some of the Zombie scenes were a little forced or unrealistic, for example where did the lone zombie in the pharmacy come from since he wasn't there last time? The walkers descending upon Shane and Andrea in the suburbs seemed like it happened for no logical reason either, but it was still fun. I hope the group does get on the road again soon to make for interesting choices and more action. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!

• Almost no secrets anymore...

Last week when I saw a summary of the "Secrets" episode, I thought it will be really boring. I'm glad I was wrong.

Lori tried to do an abortion, but instead puked and finally told Rick about the baby. And what the most important about Shane. This is interesting allusion - many women decided to have an abortion in our comfortable world. And Lori and Rick decided to have a baby in the post-apocalyptic world. They took moral obligations about it!

Andrea finally become a sharpshooter zombie-killing machine! Oh, and f**ked Shane. Shane by the way is the real threat for the whole group now.

Glenn is Maggie's hero for saving her. And Maggie(I think) stopped thinking about walkers as humans after what happened.

Dale is like a priest in the group. He wants to advise everybody - Andrea, Glenn, Lori, Hershel. Who's next?

After this episode we have all male characters as leaders - Rick(moral leader), Shane(immoral leader - survive-at-all-cost leader), Glenn(after what Maggie said he will try to be at least), Dale(priest-leader), Daryl(zombie killer leader), Hershel(because this is his property)! T-Dog isn't male character here, it is better for him to start learning how to cook!))

This whole situation is gonna explode soon! And I know what will be in the culmination. But I will not spoil that for those who didn't read the comic book.

So I believe that all whining is over and there will be only action in the second half of the season.

Next episode will be awesome!!!

• A Lesson in Guile (Spoilers Ahead)

The fittingly titled episode this week "Secrets" saw some very good, character driven activity before the Walking Dead tunes out for the holidays and starts back up in February (a smart move for AMC I might add) Glenn struggles to contain the secret of the walkers in the barn as well as Laurie's pregnancy but he accidentally confides in Dale about both and Dale approaches Herschel about it. Herschel's viewpoint on medicine and sick people is well founded in his character as he's said before when he and Rick discussed the outbreak in the second episode where Carl got shot. Shane and Andrea go on an excursion after he teaches Carl, and the others to shoot and thanks to her natural prowess he pushes her a little too hard by bringing up Amy. Then they go to a housing area to look for Sophia and Andrea effectively got into the area of silencing her mind like Shane was telling her about. In a close call, and a disgustingly laid out house might I add (I'm never eating dinner while watching this show ever again). The most interesting part about this was their freaky time in the car, which was adrenaline fueled and believable and is more in line with the comics. Glenn and Maggie make a run into town for pregnant stuff for Laurie and almost get got by a walker. Laurie tries to take some morning after pills to try to kill the baby but throws them up and Rick finds the case and confronts her about it. Their scene was very heartfelt and reasonable and Laurie brought up an excellent point about all the crying drawing walkers to them once it's born. Rick's easily understanding was lukewarm since I knew he expected it, but got too quickly to rationalize without the digestion of his wife sleeping with his best friend. Herschel seems fit to get them all out of there now that he knows that they know about the walkers and I don't know how they can expect to stay for much longer. Daryl forgiving Andrea for shooting him was cool and the reminder at the end was even better. Now Glenn and Daryl both think they're leadership material in development now, maybe some conflict will come of that after all. And why do they always throw Glenn to be the meat on a rope for walkers? But the best scene of the episode by far was Dale's confrontation to Shane (two characters who don't really interact much) which is seemingly driven by jealousy on Dale's part but evolved into something more. Dale's suspicion is well founded but there was no previous indication that he or anyone found Shane's story lacking in specifics. The bringing up of his seeing him point a gun at Rick was a great continuity trick the writers pulled as well, and him "knowing what kind of man he is" really stuck it to him. Shane (Jon Bernthal) is a total badass, but he's a loose cannon for sure, and his threat to Dale was clear enough to make me worried about his mental stability later down the road. Next week we'll see things at the farm hit the fan, and then it's off to wherever's next I guess (don't spoil it for anyone fellow comic readers).

• Secrets revealed... (spoilers)

This is the kind of episode that I have been waiting for. Unlike some people, I don't mind that there aren't as many walkers, as long as story keeps progressing. This was an episode with some action, but SO much story.

Glenn, unable to keep all the secrets that he has discovered, finally spills the beans to Dale (who has been criminally underused this season). WIthout judgement, Dale speaks to Hershel, warning him that despite the fact that they once were, walkers are no longer people, they are corpses. I thought that scene was beautifully played, as Hershel still believes there is a part of the person in there, and is looking for a cure. He just doesn't realize that the body is dead and rotting, which I find a little difficult to understand, but okay.

Then Dale goes to Lori. This was one of my favorites. He looked on her with the love of a father figure, or as another reviewer mentioned, a pastor, and just gave her some advice, without any judgement.

Glenn and Maggie's trip to the pharmacy again was perfect. As they argued about the "life" of a walker, with Maggie insisting that they aren't called that (she clearly held out hope that her father was right), while looking for Lori's "morning after" pills, she is attacked by a walker. Glenn saves her, (which was an excellent scene) but when it is clear that the walker, if they were a living person once, are no longer when it got back up. Maggie's use of walker later in the episode signifies that she no longer believes they are people.

Lori, struggling for weeks with the secret of her and Shane, and now this pregnancy, finally hit her limit and takes morning after pills. When she realizes the magnitude of this decision, made without telling her husband, she runs and throws up the pills. Rick, finding the packaging of the pills, finds her and confronts her. What I didn't expect was the beautiful scene that followed. Lori told her husband she took it back, and she is sorry that she didn't tell him, but that she had to tell him another thing, about her and Shane. He already knew. This scene is why I love the character of Rick. He wasn't a character with no depth or intelligence, he has the intelligence that a leader in his position should have. He knew, but also, understood. He portrayed it not as a betrayal, but as a mistake. (Andrew Lincoln was brilliant)

My only problem is that "Morning after" pills are just that. For the morning after. Now, if you took a huge overdose, could you have a miscarriage? Sure. But they aren't for when you are already pregnant.

• joshua