The Walking Dead

Seed

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 14, 2012 on AMC

• The Seed is planted for the prison storyline

This episode marks the long awaited return of The Walking Dead, a show that at this time last year would make comic book fans and even show watchers do a collective eye-roll. It seems that the switch of powers at the top has been in favor for this show, because this new guy knows exactly what he's doing.

Season 3 will have 16 episodes, and the first of these is spent pretty much doing one thing: exploration. They find a seemingly abandoned prison in their travels and move in to kill the Walkers on the inside and secure it as a safe place to live for a long period of time.

While any comic readers would know that there were in fact survivors there, we didn't actually find that out until the very end of the episode. The entire episode was just an hour long zombie-slashing madness. While ordinarily I would complain about the little movement in plot, there were a few nice bits of dialogue here and there and the action more than makes up for it.

This episode did something great by making something you would think would take just a couple of minutes, like exploring an abandoned structure, take a full hour. That is definitely working in this show's favor, and I think if it continues to up the pace for the season we are in for one hell of a ride.

People thought this show was dead, and it appears it has come back from the dead and taken on a new life. I look forward to seeing how things play out.

+Great action scenes

+Opening sequence

+Carl & Lori less annoying

+Prison looks awesome (they built this from the ground up)

-Lack of dialogue