The Walking Dead

TS-19

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 05, 2010 on AMC

• After this the writers really need to get back on track.

Although still highly entertaining and well-made, TWD isn't quite living up to the potential shown in the pilot and now falls into the trap of a big, dumb Hollywood moment.

The build-up is all good stuff, the doctor is obviously a bit off-kilter and suspiscious, but not enough to be over the top and it's good to see the group safe and relaxing for a while, during which time we get some good character moments. Revelations about the zombies and how the process occurs are interesting and while the CDC seems like an improbable cross between a lab from CSI and the Umbrella Corporation, disbelief is not completely broken.

Then we find out what's up with the Doctor and what he's planning and it's just a little too cliched and silly for a show which has been mostly intelligent, thoughful and grounded in reality (despite the zombies). It's not all bad as the bomb situation gives us moments such as Dale staying behind with Andrea and the writers finally using that grenade we saw so long ago, but it just feels like a big build up for a boom that the show didn't need.

The comic book is about the small things, an average Joe trying to make it in the zombie apocalypse, the whole CDC excursion smacks of the ridiculous excesses of the Resident Evil movies and I hope this is the last time they do this. We need to see Rick's group on the road, trying to find supplies and maybe a home. Surviving.