The Walking Dead

Wildfire

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 28, 2010 on AMC

• The group leaves the camp.

After the attack on the camp in the previous episode there was no surprise that the group decided to move This wasn't one of the better episodes of the season but it was still very good A lot of decisions needed to be made concerning some members of the group and one of the parts I found very interesting was where Rick and Shane was in the forest and Shane held the gun up to him from a distance Who knows what would have happened if Dale hadn't turned up When the group arrived at the CDC it seemed like a pointless journey but Rick made the doctor realise that if he never let them in he would be killing them I am looking forward to watching the finale and its a shame the first season only lasts for six episodes.
  • On the Road Again

Lose one, gain one. Whoop di do. Though I highly doubt anyone "lost" and not shot in the head isn't really lost. Rick keep talking about the black man and his son and we haven't seen anything of them for four episodes. Throw us a bone. Make us care. And here's yet another character, a careless, at-rope's-end government employee. His character can only be thrilling and enlightening. Hopefully having him around will answer that big question the writers have left unaddressed: how did zombies happen in the first place?
  • Wildfire?

I am still a little bit confused about this episode. I watched it a few times (in German), so mayhaps somethings got lost in translation.

The episode started with a video transmission from Dr. Jenner; he said that it has been 194 days since 'Wildfire' started and 63 days since the deasease started to spread. So I was (and I sill am) wondering, what 'wilfire' means. I looked it up in a dictionary and it still doesnt make sense. Why should they know about this infenction hardly 130 before the desease spreads?

So I doubted that wildfire was a medical experiment (maybe of the CDC) which went wrong. In one scene Dr. Jenner explained very elevated what kind of deseases the CDC researches on (pox, ebola, and why the decontamination process was necessary. So, was there a kind of guilt, the CDC (including Dr. Jenner and his wife, CDCs' director) tries to avenges for? Something that could even explain all this suicides among the scientists?

So, what do you think?
  • 1x05 - Wildfire

This is an okay episode. The side effect of watching this show is that I'm always thinking how I would survive the same situation and when someone dies because the characters are being stupid I can't help but roll my eyes and find it exasperating. This episode did have the side effect of making me like Andrea more.
  • Keep moving forward

Rick starts to take the lead of the group, after last night people were attacked by the dead. His best friend doesn't agree with him and that's not all it looks like he wants to kill his friend to get him out of the way. Signs show by him point the shotgun at him when Rick was down below looking through the brushes, the weird part is they thought they were going to survive by just staying in one place obviously you would have to seek to find help to survive. Sitting still is a death sentence you might as well go out trying, looks like Shane wants Rick to fail. Because, that means his relationship with Lorie fails and Lori can go back to Shane.
  • Worst episode so far

This episode was not bad, but it was far from good. What actually happened on this episode, could have been condensed in just 20 minutes or less; the rest of it was a waste of production money. Drama? No way. Character development? Not at all. Most of this episode looked like a filler, but hey, it had to be done, this was a full episode, not a short film. Unfortunately, it was also full of clichés. And more unfortunately, seems like people didn't notice, as they swallowed all the clichés and they think this episode was actually good.
    Well, I've got bad news for you guys: it wasn't. At all.

I guess this one looks bad because the previous 4 episodes were really good (well, maybe the "good vatos" and their little dogs on episode 4 were a little bit out of place too).

You've got to watch this one because it's part of the story; otherwise I'd say skip it. Just make sure you've got a couple beers nearby while you watch, you're gonna need them.
  • Simply a progression episode.

The best thing about this episode was that the characters and plot actually progressed. Some of the characters had started becoming flat and there was nothing new with the, "lets hang around camp" story line. So this needed to happen. That being said it hasn't been my favorite episode of this season, however it definitely wasn't the worst.

• The group head to the CDC. SPOILERS

This was a good episode, because the group finally decide to do something. I was wondering how long they were going to camp before the walkers found them. When Darryl started to take the dead ones of the group and burn them, Glen stopped him. "We don't burn them, we bury them." Jim, unfortunately got bit and Darryl wanted to kill him. He aimed his gun at Jim's head, but Rich stopped him and said, "We don't kill the living." Then, while Rich and Shane do a grid search, Shane starts to lose control thinking about killing Rich, but he catches himself before he pulls the trigger. The group, including Jim, minus a family, head toward the CDC hoping to find a safer place to stay. The journey is too rough on Jim and he asks to be left behind; they set under a big tree and Rich offers him a gun, which he refuses. The group arrives at the CDC and the place is loaded with dead corpses. Meanwhile, inside the CDC there is only one man left alive (Jenner) who is deciding to kill himself. The episode ends when Jenner opens the door of the CDC to the group.

Last week I dubbed this show the new Lost, and with tonight's revelations, it definitely lived up to that billing. The final seven minutes or so definitely had that "what is going on?" feel that Lost had, it was like the hatch all over again.

Now this episode was a bit dull at times, a little flat, and low on interactions with the walkers, but it was necessary for the show to take that next step and introduce something new. So long as The Walking Dead does not have 40 of these buildings, I think this will be a good development.
  • The Walking Dead, the newest drama on television. What, did you expect a zombie show? You've been fooled.

The first two episodes of this new TV show showed promises of epic proportions. It's been declining since then and you have to wonder to yourself just how much longer this drama can disguise itself as a horror. It's started this downward slope since the third episode, and I was very very generous in the episode "Vatos" giving it more props than it deserves. Most of this episode has been spent on cutting ties, like Andrea staring blankly into Amy's face for hours upon end, and Jim denying his inevitable fate. These are necessary traits for any show, but if you judged this episode purely for its drama, still it's just average at best. The acting didn't really stand out and Daryl Dixon's little two second rampage on the walkers didn't even come close to satisfying your zombie needs. We're better off watching Morgan randomly snipe down walkers from the second story of his house.

Now I'm mainly an anime watcher who has little experience with big time network series, but the ones I've seen they all seem to possess one major trait. At one point the show starts to die out and they try salvaging it by trying to make mountains out of a molehole using any little excuse in past episodes to drag the drama on. It's like a date gone wrong when the guy starts fishing out totally random and irrelevant questions desperately scrapping for anything that will make the date click. Anime in comparison tend to have artificial characters with robotic personalities, but they keep the date fresh and just give you more and more to look forward to.

Now the thing here is that this bad date starts to happen seasons later. Prison Break, season three. The O.C., season three. The Walking Dead? Episode three. And although it's been longed question how well a zombie show would do in television format, that's still no excuse because High School of the Dead, an anime zombie show, not only got the first two episodes right, it got the entire show done right. I'm really praying that the ending to this episode is that one irrelevant and random question that can keep this relationship afloat, because there's only one more date left in this season and it better bring a damn good impression to warrant watching the second one.
  • 1x05

very entertaining, I have to say that I really enjoied this episode, I know a lot of people says that this is the worst episode from season one but I really desagree with that opinion, for me the worst episode was the first one, maybe this is not as good as other episodes but this is very enjoyable too, the final scene at desease control doors was very good and the momments in the camp were very well acted too, for me, this episode worked.

P.D: I´m from venezuela, I´m not an expert writing in English, please forgive my mistakes
  • Being Human

"Wildfire" was the episode I needed to see after "Days Gone Bye" to be sure that The Walking Dead is good show that, with time, can turn out to be even better.
    This episode proved that the ones who are watching this show for the zombie-killing action are missing the best part. This show isn't about zombies! It's about being human, about the need to have someone by your side in order to survive, someone you can count on, someone you can fight for. It's about never giving up, even if the world you know drastically changes without you realizing it, and it's also about the fact that we (as the world itself) are all flawed, impulsive and selfish. Zombies are just the tool Frank Darabont used to make us think about that in an very entertaining way, with a little big heklp from the books, of course (but expect him to take some crative decisions of his own from now on).

There were some very good moments on "wildfire": Andrea killing Amy, Jim leaving the group, Shane pointing a shotgun at Rick, the final scene...

Very good episode of The Walking Dead this week, but expect a great season finale and an excellent second season!
  • Wildfire

Wildfire was a good episode of The Walking Dead. I enjoyed watching this episode, thought some things seemed to drag on forever. I thought the over all story of the episode was good, and as expected there was disagreement about what to do after the attack on the camp. In this episode we got to see the lone survivor at the CDC, which looked like an amazing compound. The group decided to go to the CDC and on the way they left some one behind at their own wish. The ending of this episode was a little drawn out, but a nice relief. I can't wait to see what happens next!!!!!
  • The Zombie Strain.

While the past few weeks have seen the story flit back and forwards from the comicbook's plot, we now see the storyline well and truly veering away. I hope that the writers have the ideas to back up doing something so drastic. Oh wait, they just got fired, hopefully Frank Darabont knows what he's doing... While taking a trip to the CDC is something that never happened in the comic book and was always a little surprising, here Rick and his group try that route. Although as they turn up, for some reason everyone walks across the most corpse-filled parking lot in the world. Really? I think we have a good impression of Rick's character and intelligence by now and him leading the whole group out to the doors of the CDC and then shrieking at a camera just felt wrong. Anyone in their right mind would have scouted alone first and left everyone safe in the vehicles. Maybe they're trying to undermine Rick's stability and play up his desperation. Stop it.

Apart from this questionable behavior, the rest of the episode pans out nicely. Andrea's vigil over Amy might seem insane, but it's believable for someone in that situation. The problem with what to do with Jim is handled well, although I would have a problem leaving him free to walk around as a zombie and possibly kill more people - I would have tied him up. Then we have the Rick and Shane showdown, which doesn't actually happen. For the comicbook fans it leads us right up to it and completely subverts our expectations. Whether Shane is here for the long run is now a valid question. The guy in the very 'Andromeda Strain' medical facility (I'm sure the CDC doesn't have anything as dramatic as flamethrowers in it's labs) seems like he might try keeping a few of the survivors for experiments now his tissue samples are all gone.

The comicbook stayed away from answering the main zombie questions - cause, cures, duration, etc and worked well without these answers. This show would do well to follow the same course, unless they have some great ideas and well planned story arcs. Please no 'quest for a cure' storyline.
  • Another Great, Great Episode

This episode once again changes the "feel" of the show and is just as unpredictable as the other episodes. SPOILER ALERT: Who would have seen Jim being bitten after last week's episode? I guess the question of whether he's a psychic will go unanswered. I'm fine with that. It keeps the show more realistic. We also find out how long it's been since the outbreak if you caught that in the "Wildfire" transmission. By the way, did anyone catch the reference to The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton in the lab at the end? Looks like the creators were giving a fairly obvious nod to the late author by naming the project "Wildfire." It makes sense, that novel was similar to the end of this episode and what I expect the setting to be in next week's episode. But then again, I have no idea. I think it's crazy to try to guess where this show is going to go in the finale. Overall, this episode was among the best, even though it's tough to call my favorite episode since they've all been spectacular. I cannot wait for the DVDs.
  • Drama, fever and death.

Another great episode of this show that is proving to be something else entirelly that I thought it would be. I watched this episode still in shock after last week, with all the deaths and the zombies attacking the camp and Andrea's sister dying. What we had this week was right up that alley all over again, well we had lesser deaths now, but not the point. Another great episode, with great dialogue and a very good storyline that's leading up to a awesome season finale next week.
    Highlights of the episode were the situation with Jim, that bearded dude that got bitten in the attack. I was heartbreaken when they left him. I liked him. Laurie Holden in the scene with Andrea's sister and pulling the gun to the deputy's face was FANTASTIC!
    Now, we sit back and worry ourselves thinking about all the cliffhangers that will be left in our laps next week with the season finale.
  • Forward momentum, bleak outlooks.

This episode is interesting, if not a bit too sentimental. The characters find themselves slowly developing, which is what needs to happen in the show--while, admittedly, this is only the fifth episode, there's been a cardboard nature to the individuals. Here we find forward progression with the intimate (if heavy-handed) moments. Mournful, powerful moments.

Also, here we see the first of the wider world. The introduction of the CDC and our lonely CDC character brings more depth to the series. Again, I'm reminded of The Stand, which the series feels like almost to the point of making me wish it was just an adaptation.
  • A Bite and a Fever

This episode certainly slowed a tad, which was fine by me. With Andrea keeping her sister company until she turned and then dispatching her. Jim is discovered to have been bitten and the camp decides to go their way to the CDC for help. Effectively, this week saw the end or leaving of many characters which is fine by me. In this kind of series the less characters the better and easier to focus so the family of no names with the father with the beard left I was fine. Jim's ending was sad but at least he got a choice. The ending, particularly the scientist telling them quietly to, "Go Away" showed how long he had been alone down there. Quite the ending, but Daryl not waiting for Merle struck me cuz he never showed and he never mentioned that they should wait for him. But I guess knowing that his brother's alive and has a vehicle and not showing up means he went his own way so he may accept that. And keeping Morgan (Lennie James) in the fold with a trail to follow after the camp is good because I wouldn't mind him becoming a series regular but let's not have Rick be leaving stuff for him to follow into later seasons as if he never shows up it means something. But there's no telling what awaits us next week.
  • The group packs up and moves on after the attack on the camp and we meet a mysterious man named Jenner.

Just when you think that "The Walking Dead" has found its niche and will be focusing on zombie attack after zombie attack with some character development mixed in, we're introduced to a new character who could change the entire dynamic of the show depending on how they use him. For the first time this season, I was given a very "Lost" feeling... I've heard people describing this show as the next Lost, if only because it has the same mystery and random moments surrounding it (Jim's strange dream being the big one), and if I wasn't entirely convinced of that claim, I sort of am tonight.

Most of the episode focuses on the group moving on from the camp they're at. Rick makes sure to keep contacting Morgan and his son to let them know what's going on, while Andrea struggles to let go of her sister. Watching her hover over her sister's dead body and pulling a gun on Rick as he approaches to let her know they have to put a bullet in her head may seem stupid to some people, but I can understand the need for her character to need closure. Meanwhile, Shane is jealous of Rick and nearly puts a bullet in Rick's head before Dale sees him and the rest of the camp is forced to put Jim in a separate place after they learn he was bitten. There was a lot of balls juggling in this episode, and the show did a great job of keeping them all in the air without anything feeling rushed.

While the show has never reached the dazzling depths it reached with the pilot, there have been little moments scattered throughout that remind us of how great the show can be. I've really grown to like Norman Reedus as Darryl and while some people may find his personality grating, he's calmed down and has proven to be a level-headed guy at times, when his temper doesn't get the best of him. I'm crossing my fingers that Darryl and Morgan will make a return next season. For me, that would be the perfect way to round out the cast.

And the ending leaves a lot up in the air... I really enjoyed meeting this Jenner character, who appears to be working on some sort of antidote for the CDC, but the appears to be the only CDC member there. After his new batch is destroyed, he begins getting drunk before noticing that Rick and the rest of the group have arrived. He lets them in just as they leave. I've read people describing this as similar to Lost, and I agree. What this hatch/room/underground facility holds in store for the group is unknown, and with only one episode left, I have a feeling it'll be something big.

Let's hope the season can go off on a high note... next year should be awesome with 13 episodes, new cast members and the ability to stretch their legs.