The Waltons

Day of Infamy

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 07, 1978 on CBS

• The Telegram

A very sad episode, and one which must have been really hard-hitting at the time. That said, it's been clear for some time that Curt isn't coming back, so I guess it makes more sense to kill him off in battle than have him living in permanent exile (like most fans, I'm pretending 'The Tempest' never happened).

It's a bold storyline, but I did find it a bit slow. I get that they're dealing with a pivotal event, but there's too much listening to the radio and not enough doing something about it. The set piece at the end looks hopelessly staged, with the cast taking it in turn to wander into position around JC and Mary Ellen as if they're JC and Mary in a nativity play. The flashbacks also go on for too long. One or two would have been fine, but we didn't need four whole minutes.

The sense of fear at the unfolding news is good - certainly better than in 'The Return' - and the atmosphere is suitably subdued, although Mary Ellen bounding down the stairs singing 'Deck the Halls' is a little surreal. We also get to meet Cindy for the first time, albeit played by a different actress to the one who will play Ben's wife.

One question: why isn't this called 'THE Day of Infamy'? It would fit much better with the rest of the titles. Ho hum.

Pick of the bunch: Ike Godsey (Joe Conley)

Alternate title: The Beginning