The Waltons Forums

CBS (ended 1981)

Ideas for a Sequel

ra8300

[1]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 3

Anyone know if they are brainstorming a 'final' sequel? I'm thinking it should be John Boy in California writing for film/television and writes his screen play for 'The Homecoming' pilot of the Waltons TV show. Kind of how it all came to be - based on Earl Hamner's experiences. Could include Elizabeth and Drew marrying as a very small second story line, but will probably need the whole time to focus on how the Waltons TV show came to be. What do y'all think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mattyg1306

[2]Feb 22, 2010
    • level: 16
    ra8300 wrote:

Anyone know if they are brainstorming a 'final' sequel? I'm thinking it should be John Boy in California writing for film/television and writes his screen play for 'The Homecoming' pilot of the Waltons TV show. Kind of how it all came to be - based on Earl Hamner's experiences. Could include Elizabeth and Drew marrying as a very small second story line, but will probably need the whole time to focus on how the Waltons TV show came to be. What do y'all think?

I also have thought they should come back and close the series the right way...in fact, I had the EXACT same idea as you (for real)! It could be set at Christmas time 1971, all of the actors have now aged 13 years, but they could easily make them up to look like only a couple years had passed since the 'Easter' movie (maybe this would be "A Walton Christmas"?). Unfortunately, many of the actors are getting up in years (Ralph Waite is 81...can you believe it?), so if something isn't done to bring this to fruition soon I'm afraid it will never happen. They could easily bring this together with little effort...use songs from the Christmas CD they put out in 1999, show the pilot being made and have the Walton's all gather around the TV and watch themselves...maybe they could call the show-within-a-show "The Hamners"...lol. Earl Hamner said in an interview a few years ago that another reunion has already been written, so all they need is to get a network (or even a cable channel...this would easily make a great "Hallmark Channel Original Movie" and would guarantee them their highest ratings ever!) and bring everyone together and make it happen. At least Earl Hamner already has a narration made in case something happens to him (well, sort of...they could use the one from the aforementioned CD). I also think it would be great if they would have Jason replay his "Appalachian Portrait" from "Founder's Day" (which, by the way, really was originally written to be the series finale!). I wrote to Les Moonves a couple years ago to no response...I wish there was something we could do...

ra8300

[3]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 3

Yes, great idea to call the show "The Hamners" and use some of the old and new(CD)music.I love that! They could even do slightly differentrenditions of songs you mentioned. But they do need a 'conclusion'.The Waltons was wonderfully able to take the family through the years. It's a cool concept to have a fitting ending to a series and is profitable these days with DVD sales after the series is made. My kids are watching the series for the first time and trying to guess what events will occur. My wife and I are trying not to give them any hints. So, hope one last concluding movie - or mini-series, if possible, could bring it all together! Oh, how about opening the movie with everyone arriving for Grandma's funeral? Maybe not a pleasant opening, but hopefully the writers can be more creative than that sounds.