The Waltons Forums

CBS (ended 1981)

Is there anybody out there?

sisterdorito

[1]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 4

I visit this forum just about every day and sometimes I wonder if I'm the only dedicated fan of The Waltons out there. If you stop by this forum, please post something, anything. I love this show and would like to have others to discuss/gripe about it with =)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[2]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 60
    "The Waltons" is interesting in that it never generated the rerun fervor of "Little House on the Prairie" - a show that lives in the hearts of European audiences today.

I watched both from the beginning (well, my mother more or less made us watch as she controlled the TV). What I liked about "The Waltons" was more believable stories, better use of minor characters (Ep Bridges,Verdie, Flossie, Yancy, the Baldwins, Dr. Vance) and much more realism. "Little House" rose and fell on huge drama. "The Waltons" faced its biggest challenges when characters left and a sense of soap opera took over (troubled marriages, Corabeth's weirdness, Mary Ellen's husband, etc.). "Little House on the Prairie" suffered from out-of-time melodrama and increasing unbelievability.

Overall, I think "The Waltons" was a superior show in its more accurate portrayal of its time and in its more natural characters.
    Edited on 09/06/2008 7:59pm

sisterdorito

[3]Sep 5, 2008

Thank you for sharing =) I remember being forced to watch The Waltons as a child and I absolutely hated it. I wasn't reintroduced to it until about 5 years ago. I caught an episode on TVLand and I've been hooked ever since. Like LH, I watch the Waltons faithfully every day.

I agree with basically everything you said above...more believable stories, better use of minor characters (Ep Bridges rates amongst my favorite characters on the show period), etc. It did get a little soap opera-ish the last few seasons (with the already mentioned resurrection of Curtis Willard being the best example of this) but for the most part the stories stayed pretty true to the character of the series.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person out there who appreciates this show =)

Mac-Ale

[4]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 60
    The thing about "The Waltons" was that the episodes were very gentle in their themes. A whole episode could revolve around whether Yancy Tucker could fit in, whether "mountain" relatives could keep their land, or whether John Boy could earn an automobile. Not nearly the melodrama of Landon's show.

But a pretty realistic idea of how it was in rural Virginia during the Depression.
    Edited on 09/05/2008 10:31pm

sisterdorito

[5]Sep 8, 2008
    The themes were pretty gentle. Although they did deal with rape once ("The Violated" season 8.) and mental illness ("The Portrait" season 7) and alcoholism ("The Captive" season 7) and drug addiction ("The Obsession" season 7) and even the paranormal ("The Ghost Story" season 2, "The Changeling" season 7). Some melodrama (most of it from season 7 apparenty)...but no plagues, no being taken hostage, no fast food coming to town. Walton's Mountain didn't even have a resturaunt =)

ra8300

[6]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 3

I like how much of the drama was about everyday events such as how to treat other people or how to control your tongue and thoughts. Such as appreciating their grandparents - the kids went fishing and picnics with family and grandparents - the kids invited Grandpa to help paint a boat and John-Boy loved giving Grandma the first ride in his new car. Oh, and when he worked for the car he had to learn to be patient with the man who was bitter about losing his son and John-Boy empathized with the man. They appreciated their less-refined, less-modern relatives, Martha Corine (sp?), who still lived in a cabin isolated in the mountains. John-Boy had an episode about feeling out of place as a writer among more 'sophisticated' class-mates. John-Boy learning to read the fine print before publishing and Jason allowing John-Boy to get attention even though Jason had just gotten a job playing with a band. Or an episode about having compassion on someone blind or an orphan. Those are things that I think helped me as a little kid and we are using them to teach our children how to treat others. We are in the 4th season and the kids are enjoying it a lot.

1MazieLou

[7]Jan 17, 2010
    • level: 1
    I would love to see The Walton's return to any channel. Where ever it would be shown I would gladly watch. I miss them in the mornings when Hallmark had them, now even though the Walton fan's are still begging for them to bring them back after almost a year later, they still insist on running The Golden Girls. I am tired of not seeing them on.

SandiePayton

[8]Jun 3, 2010

I have all 9 Seasons of The Waltons on DVD. Spencers Mountain and the Homecoming. I would love to go and visit---WALTON MOUNTAINS. eVERYONE i KNOW lOVE THE WALTON SERIES BUT i AM SO INTO IT. nICE TO KNOW SOMEONE ELSE IS. i WISH THEY WOULD AIT THESE SHOWS IN THE DALLAS/FT. WORTH AREA.

SandiePayton

[9]Jun 3, 2010

I l,ike The Golden Girls like most people and Andy Griffith BUT pLEASE bRING BACK THE waltons.

SandiePayton

[10]Jul 18, 2010

I am a Huge Fan of The Waltons. Have Spencers; Mountain and the Homecoming and all 9 seasons of The Waltons. I watch one of two episodes every day. I wish they would bring it back on. They have all of the Little House and the rest, But the Waltons are the best. I don't know how to beg for this for others. This is/and was the Best T.V. Series ever....

I did not enjoy the lastthree seasons as much tho but it was still great. I missed not seeing the Real John Boy.....

SandiePayton

[11]Jul 18, 2010

You are so right. The Waltons beat all of the old shows. When ever I feel a little low I watch my dvd's of The Waltons and I seem to be taken into the Scene of it all. It is such a relaxer. ha ha I have all the Shows...

SandiePayton

[12]Aug 2, 2010

No you are not the only one. I have all the dvds and I watch them over and over and over. Somehow these series help me when I am kinds low. It is almost like a up-lifter. Good Therapy. I wish they would put this back on the aire. They have allot of old series that were made way before The Waltons. These are nice, but The Waltons will never be replaced. EVER. Like a once in a lifetime thing.

donzi122

[13]Aug 18, 2010

No you are not alone. I love the Waltons. It has always been the best show ever on TV.

donzi122

[14]Sep 7, 2010

You bet there is. I loved the Waltons like no other. I just wish they would at least make an effort to write & produce another. It might just be a big hit

amongst all the junkie shows out today. I also wish they would put it back on so all of the Walton lovers would have something decent to watch.

janattheranch

[15]Nov 27, 2010

For all y'all looking for reruns of "The Waltons", check out the Inspiration Channel. It is carried on Directv channel 364 and may be carried on other cable/satellite providers. The reruns are shown at noon and 7pm CST. Enjoy! It was really nice to see the Walton's Reunion the other night.

LittleChamp

[16]Nov 27, 2010

We just watched the Walton's Thanksgiving and we loved it. I've seen it before, but it is timeless. There are so many wonderful statements about life that should be taken in and applied to life. You said you check out this page everyday. Where can I watch the Waltons series on line. I don't have TV, just internet. Thanks

Canada_Michael

[17]Apr 7, 2012
    • level: 10

One thing I notice about the series is bad stuff happens around the Waltons but they rarely suffer any long term damage. The wartime episodesillustrate this best. All the Walton men join the military & all of them make it home OK, & suffer no long terntrauma. Thesilliest were the scenes of Ben in theJapaneseprisonerof war camp, totally unrealistic & lacking any fear on the part of Ben & the 3 or so guys with him.

What was the point of bringing back Kurt & totally destroying the character? The scenes to me came off as flat & mean spirited. Maybe if Mary Ellen didn't already have a new man in her life the whole Kurt is alive story would've had more of an impact, but the way it was done served no purpose IMO other then to vilify Kurt.