The Waltons Forums

CBS (ended 1981)

Richard Thomas left the show

vidking

[1]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 5

Didn't Richard Thomas  leave the show for a few episodes and another guy played the role of

John Boy? Who was this guy's name and how many episodes was it?  

Has anyone here ever met Richard Thomas?

Oh by the way, when I use to work as a custodian  at a local truckstop here in WV  sometime in the

mid 90's I actually opened the door for Richard Thomas.  I didn't know who it was at the time. The

Truck stop is  located on the interstate a lot of stars come and go through here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HeavenWood

[2]Jan 27, 2007
    • level: 19
    Yes he did Richard Thomas left after the show’s 5th season he wanted to pursue other options. They did recast John Boy (Robert Wightman) However he was rarely seen and didn’t have much of a major storyline. According to IMDB he (Wightman) only appeared in 16 episodes but I would take that with a grain of salt. Richard Thomas never returned to the series but did reprise the role of John Boy in all but one of the Walton TV movies that aired after the series came to an end

revbucky

[3]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 22
    Who could ever place Richard Thomas as John Boy? He *is* John Boy.

sisterdorito

[4]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 4
    revbucky wrote:
    Who could ever place Richard Thomas as John Boy? He *is* John Boy.

You know, I agree with that 100%. Perhaps that's part of the reason he left the show...not wanting to be type cast.

naldro

[5]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 30

HeavenWood wrote:
    Yes he did Richard Thomas left after the show's 5th season he wanted to pursue other options. They did recast John Boy (Robert Wightman) However he was rarely seen and didn't have much of a major storyline. According to IMDB he (Wightman) only appeared in 16 episodes but I would take that with a grain of salt. Richard Thomas never returned to the series but did reprise the role of John Boy in all but one of the Walton TV movies that aired after the series came to an end

Actually Richard Thomas only appeared in the last two Walton movies; the one wherein his character got married and the one wherein his wife gave birth. And the character of John Boy didn't appear in the first two movies that were made following the series' cancellation, and Robert Wightman appeared in the third one.

purseplay

[6]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 3
    I think that is so cool you "met" Richard Thomas. I would've lost my mind. I love him!