The Waltons

Grandma Comes Home

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 30, 1978 on CBS

7.7
  • Grandpa Takes a Bow

So Ellen returns as Will makes his final appearance. It wasn't meant to be this way, of course, but given the course of events, I'm glad they got to do one more hour together. With Ellen returning after a stroke, the writers have no choice but to give us this story. Even so, it's all the more poignant knowing most of what you see is real.

True to form, Esther wants to get straight to work, but none of the others will let her. And as if this weren't enough, Zeb cannot help but speak on her behalf. Despite this, Esther is nothing but sweetness and light. It turns out she blames herself for losing her speech and has made a vow not to be so sharp-tongued from now on. I must admit I do like all the smiles. She also somehow looks younger than when she left. Jim Bob is the only one who treats her normally, and their spin in his car is one of the better scenes. I also loved Ben's prank with the piggy. Tee hee indeed!

According to Zeb, Esther has been in hospital for months. Yep. Thirty-six of 'em. We're firmly in the second half of 1940 this season, yet 'The Ferris Wheel' took place back in 1937. Typical Waltons timekeeping.

Watching his performance, it's hard to believe Will Geer will be gone by the time the new season begins. To lose a character is hard enough; to lose the actor is something else altogether.

Rest in peace, Will.

Pick of the bunch: Zeb Walton (Will Geer)

Alternate title: The Homecoming

Score: 8.9

• the long awaited grandma returns after being gone for 1 1/2 seasons. From the first moment she walks through the door, dhe wants to do work. But the family thinks it's better if she doesn't. Grandma starts to get sad and tries to cope.

it was a sad but good episode at the same time. Although it seemed strange that the family couldn't see that Grandma wanted to do the chores, it was a good episode. It's sad from beginning, but heartwarming at the end when grandma recites, in her sick voice, "You Old Fool!" and then hits Eb on the back with a broom. I reccomend this episode 100% to people who haven't even ever saw th show. I know that i loved this episode. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . ~Old Shows Finatic