The Waltons

John's Crossroad

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 20, 1977 on CBS

• The Boss

It's about time we had a John-based story. Our favourite father-of-seven has spent far too much time hiding out in the mill lately. This isn't his first trip to the city, of course, but it is the first time we've seen him working in an office.

As usual when one of the Waltons wants a job, John gets the first thing he applies for and starts straight away. It doesn't quite go to plan though. What he finds is a claustrophobic sweatshop watched over by the stern and sour-faced Mr Morgan. Guest actor, Donald Moffat, is brilliant in the role. I absolutely loved the wooden pen around his desk. I wonder how many offices really were like that in the old days? Probably quite a few.

John's scenes with Olivia are lovely, especially the one in the pub. Richard Thomas has a way of getting his co-stars to interact which other directors don't seem to manage. Such a shame he'll be leaving at the end of the season.

This week's subplot goes to Elizabeth, who is apparently in danger of becoming a tomboy after Zeb takes her to look at some wildlife in the woods. She also has a young admirer named Lucas. After her starring role last week, poor Erin gets barely a line. It's also a light week for John-boy. Lastly, this is the first time Esther's illness has been mentioned. Curt seems to think she'll only be out a few weeks.