The Waltons

The Air Mail Man

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 13, 1973 on CBS

7.4
  • The Birthday Treat

More good stuff from Walton's Mountain, and the first of a number of episodes to do with flying. This week combines Olivia's birthday with the story of a pilot named Todd and his broken-down plane.

I'll do the birthday first. This could easily have been an episode on its own but instead takes a back seat to the main pilot - sorry, plot. We aren't told how old Olivia is (my estimate is 37), but she isn't looking forward to her big day. Her presents are pretty cool though, and of course she does get to go up in the plane. Needless to say, it's all smiles by the end of the day.

The main plot is standard fare in many ways, but the plane makes it more interesting. I really liked the bloke playing Todd. I note he went on to appear in Starsky and Hutch. I've never seen that but I remember my parents going on about it. Good for him! Todd's secret wife was a bit of a surprise but I guessed as soon as she turned up that she was expecting. As with so many before him, staying with the Waltons makes Todd realise he needs to be more like them, and he and his wife have kissed and made up by the time he takes off.

There are a couple of comical mistakes this week. When the plane lands in the meadow the sun is clearly setting, with a pink sky and long shadows. Yet when they get back to the house they are in bright afternoon sunshine. Also, there is absolutely no way Mrs Cooper could have followed her husband to Walton's Mountain. The plane would have been over the horizon before she'd even got through the first set of traffic lights. Still, it's a decent hour so I'll let it go. It's hard not to like this show.