The Waltons

The Anniversary

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 02, 1978 on CBS

• Surprise, Surprise!

A charming, Walton-focused story with action all round, as John and Olivia celebrate twenty-five years together. For the first twenty minutes, it seems everyone has something to hide: Olivia's installing a landline, John's building a gazebo and the young ones are planning a party. Not everything goes to plan, of course, but like 'The Celebration' before it, this is a feel-good hour to cancel out some of the gloom from earlier in the season.

The landline made me smile. No sooner has it been installed than it's ringing at mealtime and hauling John out of the bath. That's just how I remember our landline when I was growing up. As John says: "Do we own that telephone or does that telephone own us?" Thank goodness for mobiles.

Away from the house, Mary Ellen takes a job at the hospital and immediately bumps into her ex. There's a fair bit of flirting before she finally remembers she's married. I enjoyed seeing David again. He may be dull, but he'd have made a fine husband for Mary Ellen. Just for a minute, when he gave her that old photo, I did begin to wonder...

John's gazebo is very impressive, though I don't know why the writers felt the need to tell us it was later destroyed in a fire. That was kind of sad. I'm also glad John and Olivia hadn't got too carried away when Zeb and the children showed up. That could have been very, very awkward.

Pick of the bunch: David Spencer (Christopher Woods)

Alternate title: The Celebration