The Waltons

The Battle of Drucilla's Pond

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 17, 1977 on CBS

• The Squaddies

Oh that pesky war. It may still be eighteen months away, but here on Walton's Mountain the guns are already blazing. This week, the army sets up camp on the Waltons' land, bringing Curt home for a few nights, but also bringing squadrons of cat-calling soldiers. It's not the biggest army operation you'll have seen, but there are plenty of bangs to keep the neighbours up at night.

Anxious to capture the stillness of the mountain while she still can, Olivia picks up her brush and starts painting. This is the first time she's done this since 'The Romance', back in Season Two. I would say 'good continuity', but it's a been little too long for that. In a very short time, she produces a roomful of art and takes it to an exhibition. Zeb buys the lot and hides it in the loft so Olivia can buy a new sewing machine. It's a fairly trivial story, but it does throw up one of the best lines in the whole series. When Olivia announces she would like to paint the view from the kitchen window, John comes back with: "Why paint it? You can stand there washing your dishes and look at it". I'm not sure this is how the writers meant it to sound, but it made me chuckle.

The rest of the cast have little to do. Ben and Jim Bob help Ike with... Well, I'm not actually sure what they're helping him with, but Ben gets to wear a tin hat. Elizabeth and Amy do some tap dancing, Erin shuns a potential love interest and Mary Ellen gets questioned by a sentry. Meanwhile, back at the barn, Chance II has a calf which Jim Bob names Dynamite. I think the name might be just about the best thing this week.

Pick of the bunch: Curt Willard (Tom Bower)

Alternate title: The Calf