The Waltons

The Beguiled

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 16, 1975 on CBS

• The Trickster

Jim Bob's friend, Danny, likes to do tricks. He's constantly nicking stuff and putting it back. So, when John-boy's college notebook goes missing, the blame falls naturally on him, getting Danny and Jim Bob into all kinds of trouble. The real thief, however, turns out to be John-boy's latest love interest: a cocky, obnoxious student named Sis, who meets our hero when her car collides with his. It doesn't sound much, but it's a really well-plotted story that has you rooting for young Danny all the way through.

Jim Bob's mate is a breath of fresh air. Guest actor, Willie Aames, is fantastic and he really brings his character to life. He and David Harper have a great dynamic, and it's a shame we never see Willie again. More Jim Bob stories please!

By contrast, John-boy's love interest is probably his worst yet. Yet again, he gets involved with a brazen, self-obsessed woman. Although I cringed almost every time Sis opened her mouth, I have to hand it to the writers for their consistency. She makes a great villain.

The scene in the yard just before Sis shows up is brilliant. First up, Elizabeth takes out Grandma with a tyre, then Ben takes out a hanging basket with his catapult. I'm not sure what Ben was thinking aiming at something right above his parents' heads, but it's great fun to watch.

John-boy's little dance at the beginning though? Probably enough said.

Pick of the bunch: Danny Comley (Willie Aames)

Alternate title: The Collision