The Waltons

The Bicycle

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 01, 1973 on CBS

7.2
  • The Singing Housewife

Olivia buys a bike while John-boy helps his buddy write love letters. As you might suspect, this is an hour of two almost unrelated halves.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Olivia on her new bike. It's refreshing to see her so carefree. I was slightly disappointed the writers made out she would rather be doing the dishes than singing in the choir. Surely even Olivia can find the time to go out once a week to choir practice? Get John to wash up: it won't kill him. My dad always did the washing up in our house. As for the bike, I don't think we see another one until Drew appears at the end of Season Eight.

I really didn't get the point of the Ann and Curtis storyline. We had a matchmaking episode just a few weeks back with Uncle Cody. This time, two people we've never seen before and who are no relation to the Waltons take almost the whole episode to realise they shouldn't agree to marry on the basis of one meeting.

I quite liked the bloke playing Curtis (Ned Beatty) and I notice he went on to star in all kinds of things after this appearance. Somebody was obviously watching. Was less impressed with Ann, who looked like she hadn't really acted before. Who knows? Perhaps she hadn't.

Pick of the bunch: Olivia Walton (Michael Learned)

Alternate title: The Great Motorcycle Race (no motors involved, but we do get to see Ann chasing down Ned's car on a bike)

Score: 7.7