The Waltons

The Boosters

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 28, 1978 on CBS

• The Initiative

So we're halfway through the season and it still hasn't yet come alight - not for me, anyway. I normally like Ben-favoured stories, but this one's a little too far-fetched. Not for the first time, Little Red packs his suitcase and goes off in search of his fortune, only to return by the end of the hour. Good continuity or lazy writing? Probably a little of each.

Anyhow, this time he goes only as far as Flossie's guest house, where he works on a plan to bring business to his community. It's good to see him working with the Godseys to achieve something, but the plot is a long way short of believable. The idea of building a motel is fair enough, but the town square is a total non-starter, seeing as they don't have a town to go with it. Nonetheless, Ben and his backers manage to persuade a roomful of people to crowdfund their plan. To cut a long story short, the crowdfunders turn against Ben the instant they hear he can't get planning permission, then turn back the instant John speaks in his defence.

While all this is going on, Yancy decides to become a barber. Er.... No.

I'm not sure whether putting Zuleika in charge of the guest house was really the right thing to do. She was hilarious in 'The Burn Out', but without Zeb and Esther to bounce off, she just comes across as loopy. Perhaps she needs a new flirt. Where did Marcus Dane get to?