The Waltons

The Boy from the C.C.C.

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 02, 1972 on CBS

5.7
  • Gangs of New York

This episode had potential, but for me there was just too much wrong with it.

The premise is fine: a shifty young man runs away from whatever the CCC is and shows up on the Waltons' doorstep. To be fair, the guest actor is pretty decent and he brings a good response from the main cast. The writing and production, however, are something else.

First up: Gino is a man, not a boy. Secondly, anybody who grew up in the slums of New York would surely have more of a New York accent than that. Thirdly, why on Earth would a man his age be wearing a boy scout uniform? Fourthly, that pebble would not have tripped anybody up, let alone bust their ankle. Fifthly, strawberries are not in season in spring. Lastly, if you are going to rob your hosts, would you really do it five seconds after they have gone upstairs when you KNOW they will still be awake?

The raccoon subplot was ridiculous. How could any of them think keeping an animal in a box that size could possibly be good for it? Zeb, at the very least, should have said something. I'm not even going to comment on the 'funeral'.

We also get some truly awful Hollywood 'rain', complete with sunshine on the trees behind. As I say, a good theme with some decent acting but, overall, one to avoid.
  • When Elizabeth and Jonboy are out in the forest, they run into a mean, rude, snotnosed brat named Chino (CHEE-NO). He runs a muck in the Waltons household, but is there more then meets the eyes with Chino?

A funny episode. Okay,okay, I meant funny YET SAD. It would make me seem like a jerk if I called it just funny, you'll know what I mean once you watch the episode. The funniestpart in the episode is when Jonboy meets Chino and Chino says, "Ha! Jonboy? What kind of name is that?" And then Jonboy says, "What kind of a name is Chino?" And that totally shut him up. But I still don't understand how 5 year Elizabeth could just go and hold a random, wild, raccoon. I totally recamend this episode ~Old Shows Finatic. . . .