The Waltons

The Burnout (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 22, 1976 on CBS

• The Pipe

Having been sent their separate ways in the first part of the episode, this half sees each character get his or her own mini-story based upon where they are staying, while Olivia dashes round trying to hold the family together. This may sound like a bit of a mish-mash, but it's actually quite effective, and the characters' contrasting fortunes are reasonably interesting.

Rather less believable is some of the strange behaviour they show. I mean, I get that the writers want to give the impression of a family growing apart and dealing with disaster, and I like that idea, but the reactions are a little too extreme. For instance, Elizabeth switches off her emotions and decides she will never be close to anyone again. Not very likely for a ten-year old girl. Erin, meanwhile, blames everything on her vanity and starts dressing like a nun. At Flossie's house, Zeb is way too flirty with Miss Dunbar, though he is put firmly in his place by the time he leaves. Mary Ellen is perhaps the most annoying, taking it upon herself to rearrange Dr Vance's surgery while he isn't there. In fairness though, it is kind of in-character.

This episode features no fewer than eleven recurring characters, which is the highest number so far. All appear in both halves. Dr Vance makes his first appearance since Season Two, while the wonderful Pearl Shear debuts as Zuleika Dunbar. If you want a laugh, be sure to check out the scene where Mamie Baldwin is playing the recorder to one of Jason's songs. It's so bizarre, I can't really put it into words: you'll just have to watch it for yourself.